Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

DrManiac posted:

Is the wizard going to tokyo too? either way it's hilarious how Barkley is going full circle.

I kind of doubt it. It would be hard to do it for an audience that largely does not speak English.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Japan is cool and a lot of fun and I hope to have the opportunity to visit again someday.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly
I'm going to post some music for towns and I guess some general thoughts about them. I've written more town music than we have towns so I'm eventually going to have to cut some of them. It's mostly unfinished, some ideas are very rough, others are coming along and a few are almost there.

big boy - This is the main theme for the game's starting area, Tir na Nog, and it's definitely not changing.

mauretania 2 - This is the song for one of the desert towns and although it's not done yet, it will also definitely be in the game.

eurotrash - I really like this song and I want it to be in the game, but I don't know where to go with it. It's basically been sitting there for 2 years without much work because I don't know what to do. Basically everything about it needs to be better. It's got a cool hook but nothing else.

cavern - I really like this song, probably more than the other town songs I've written, but it's super rough, very short right now and the instruments blow. I don't think I'll finish this one because I just don't have the instruments for it, I kind of think it needs to be performed live, but maybe I'll do something with it, because I think it's potentially pretty good.

butte - I think this is okay and it would be for one of the smaller towns, but it still needs work, the instruments kind of suck right now and it should be longer.

ooze - This one has the potential to be very good, I want it to be a little less happy. It's kind of a toss between this and eurotrash for me. Maybe it could play them at different times or something. Still needs a lot of work. This one's in that old video I made a while ago.

fary - This is my favorite song in the game so far but it needs a lot of work. I think it will probably be in but it still has a lot of problems. Nobody's noticed yet but part of the melody is the battle theme from the first game at around :34.

friendly3 - This one loving sucks at the moment, but an older version of it is my favorite song I've ever written for a game. I don't know how to translate it into something good with higher quality VSTs, but I'd like to keep trying. I feel like this one's got a lot of potential but I just might not be good enough to do it yet.

outskirts - This is one from Barkley 1 that I've been thinking about remaking. It's okay, I don't think I did a good job with it the first time around, but I'm a better musician now and can probably do what I want to do with it now. There really aren't that many song remakes from the first one at the moment and I think it would be cool if there were more.

I've got a couple more ideas I've written down but I don't know if they'll go anywhere. Anyway, I guess any input is helpful, let me know which ones you like, which ones you think are going places and which ones aren't.

Chef Boyardee fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 2, 2014

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Fuschia tude posted:

I wonder what it would take to get him unbanned.

He would have to want to come back.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Chef Boyardee posted:

I'm going to post some music for towns and I guess some general thoughts about them. I've written more town music than we have towns so I'm eventually going to have to cut some of them. It's mostly unfinished, some ideas are very rough, others are coming along and a few are almost there.

I think you're being way too hard on yourself and most if not all the songs sound awesome and nestle great in between that raw chiptunes and more recent video game stuff, before everything was symphony orchestras blaring away. Seriously it's good work.

Chef Boyardee posted:

eurotrash - I really like this song and I want it to be in the game, but I don't know where to go with it. It's basically been sitting there for 2 years without much work because I don't know what to do. Basically everything about it needs to be better. It's got a cool hook but nothing else.

cavern - I really like this song, probably more than the other town songs I've written, but it's super rough, very short right now and the instruments blow. I don't think I'll finish this one because I just don't have the instruments for it, I kind of think it needs to be performed live, but maybe I'll do something with it, because I think it's potentially pretty good.

These are great. I think the first one sounds like something that would play with a cutscene or story exposition, and the second one has a sort of "interrupt-y" feel, like something that would play if a character barged into a conversation.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I personally really like songs that are remakes of, or have allusions to older songs in them, so yes I approve of "click here for mustache rides" being "fary." But then again I'm a huge baby with poo poo taste in music and know gently caress all about musical structure or composition or anything of that nature.

Yes, I refer to Barkley 1 music by filename, and no I don't care that Chef Boyardee doesn't know or care what incoherent garbage he randomly put for the Barkley 1 track titles.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
fary rules.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Chef Boyardee posted:

ooze - This one has the potential to be very good, I want it to be a little less happy. It's kind of a toss between this and eurotrash for me. Maybe it could play them at different times or something. Still needs a lot of work. This one's in that old video I made a while ago.

Speaking of that old video, I noticed that "grunchy" is an older version of the Barkley 2 swamps. Do you have a like to the new version?

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly
No, but grunchy is just a different version of it. There's a quest with a bunch of musicians who play music and one musician is playing that version. I want that swamp song to be in the game but I don't have good enough VSTs or an acoustic guitar.

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011

Chef Boyardee posted:

something like this is what i thought of but idk

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/57567453/baaaaa.mp3

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Is Barkley 2 going to be KB+M only or will there be gamepad support?

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Cicero posted:

Is Barkley 2 going to be KB+M only or will there be Razer Hydra support?

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Icept posted:

I think you're being way too hard on yourself and most if not all the songs sound awesome and nestle great in between that raw chiptunes and more recent video game stuff, before everything was symphony orchestras blaring away. Seriously it's good work.

Just going to second this; you have great use of melody and can succeed in a wide variety of musical styles. I'd put you really high on my personal list of Favorite Composers.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Cicero posted:

From what I understand, you can play it with a gamepad, ALTHOUGH I myself have some logitech p.o.s. circa 1999 and it won't work with barkley 2. I also had that problem with Dark Souls 2 and some other poo poo games but got past it with a third party software. I have yet to try it with barkley2 because I'm too lazy to do such things. If you have one of them xbox type controllers or a controller made in recent years then you are fine.

That said, I think you might get a more enjoyable experience with a mouse because there is a lot of things like aiming at far away enemies, lot of minigames and things like dwarfnet that are a lot faster to use/navigate with a mouse.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Chef Boyardee posted:

I think this would make a really good subdued track if you made it slower and sort of let those strong single notes linger a little longer.

Holepunchio
May 31, 2011
Dumb non-musically inclined opinion go!

Chef Boyardee posted:

Besides the hook, for whatever reason I really like that simple beat. This song was reminding me a lot of Hotline Miami, and checking it out I think specifically this song right here. So maybe I'm just biased because of similar beats, but I'd really like to see this song finished somewhere in Barkley 2.

Chef Boyardee posted:

butte - I think this is okay and it would be for one of the smaller towns, but it still needs work, the instruments kind of suck right now and it should be longer.
I don't get a small-town vibe out of this. It definitely seems a lot more remote spacey. So if there is ever a space portion in your futuristic space odyssey, this could work there.

Chef Boyardee posted:

fary - This is my favorite song in the game so far but it needs a lot of work. I think it will probably be in but it still has a lot of problems. Nobody's noticed yet but part of the melody is the battle theme from the first game at around :34.

friendly3 - This one loving sucks at the moment, but an older version of it is my favorite song I've ever written for a game. I don't know how to translate it into something good with higher quality VSTs, but I'd like to keep trying. I feel like this one's got a lot of potential but I just might not be good enough to do it yet.
Both good, both should be there, but gently caress if I know how to make them better. But yeah Friendly2 is definitely better than Friendly3 right now.

Chef Boyardee posted:

outskirts - This is one from Barkley 1 that I've been thinking about remaking. It's okay, I don't think I did a good job with it the first time around, but I'm a better musician now and can probably do what I want to do with it now. There really aren't that many song remakes from the first one at the moment and I think it would be cool if there were more.
gently caress yeah people want stuff from Barkley 1, and if you improved it all the better.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Cicero posted:

For the full experience I'd suggest getting one of these:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
rear end of the minotaur is the best video game song ever written.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
I typed "barkley gaiden" into the youtube search, and filtered it to contain things from the last month only, and there is like 10 different 0 - 3 view lets plays just from the last few weeks alone in there. Did something happen that is the source for this sudden surge of these things?

Also these people seem to have a lot of problems reading the dialog (because they all try to voice it all), just tripping on words all the time or getting impatient and skipping huge chunks of dialog. I think people are really gonna miss out on the stuff in Barkley 2 if this trend continues. Miss out on some really awful writing that is.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gortarius posted:

I typed "barkley gaiden" into the youtube search, and filtered it to contain things from the last month only, and there is like 10 different 0 - 3 view lets plays just from the last few weeks alone in there. Did something happen that is the source for this sudden surge of these things?

Just this.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

But that ended in June.

DiscoMouse
May 16, 2005

by XyloJW

Gortarius posted:

Also these people seem to have a lot of problems reading the dialog (because they all try to voice it all), just tripping on words all the time or getting impatient and skipping huge chunks of dialog. I think people are really gonna miss out on the stuff in Barkley 2 if this trend continues. Miss out on some really awful writing that is.

This is because they're terrible let's plays with low viewership, the lowest common denominator of YouTube content.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

those guys are so corporate attitude

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
All remixes are equally inferior before Cruel Angel's Slam and this duo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7hiF7fXhLg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-4AE4ZRtJ8

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

This is actually the best Slam Jam.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
None of these slam jams being posted use the correct time signature. You are all shameful.

Hormples
May 3, 2002

ARRGHH!!
MY BONES!!

Well, well, well

http://expo.nikkeibp.co.jp/tgs/2014/en/visitor/list/index.html?category=338

quote:

3-C1-73Indie Game Area

Tales of Game's <USA> website

Barkley 2: Queklain no Vengeant

I know which booth I'm visiting first at TGS!

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
"Barkley 2: Queklain no Vengeant" is the new canon title.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Chef Boyardee posted:

It's the #1 game of Japan. People are clamoring for more Barkley.

Actually I think we're part of a Sony indie games thing. I don't really know the details.

They're supporting a sequel to an extremely unauthorized fangame that infringes on Time Warner's property. Holy poo poo.

WECOME TO THE WOOOORLD OF TOMORROW.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Segmentation Fault posted:

"Barkley 2: Queklain no Vengeant" is the new canon title.

I'm updating the Wikipedia as we speak.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I'm updating the Wikipedia as we speak.

That was a joke. Everything they say is a joke, so nothing is. Everything is canon except the console game Barkley: Shut Up and Jam 2, which is filthy heretical apocrypha.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

They even gave us our apostrophe.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
fuckin sugoi

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Chef Boyardee posted:

This is the best.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Chef Boyardee posted:

Oh my god that rules.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

The apostrophe in the katakana seals it as the best TGS booth of the show.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

CuddlyZombie posted:

The apostrophe in the katakana seals it as the best TGS booth of the show.

you mean TG'S

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Chef Boyardee posted:

Holy poo poo, this was all real

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OZU3fi08-o

One more slam remix.

Anyways, nothing to report from TGS, bhroom is maintaining radio silence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Gortarius posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OZU3fi08-o

One more slam remix.

Anyways, nothing to report from TGS, bhroom is maintaining radio silence.

Actually this one is better because its playing with the gameplay:

PS. dont watch if you care about being spoiled about Dark Souls 1 I guess?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVF21hWLwR0

I have no idea whats going on in the first portion where Ornstein just doesn't care to attack the guy once, guess its glitched or something.

EDIT: nevermind I guess there was a phantom in there to help him out.

Gortarius fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Sep 19, 2014