Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
I think a key thing to take away from this turn, with the Coyote getting shot, is that the Woodsman is on the top of the building, not in it. So it can see over woods. Unless I'm mistaken, PTN? In which case how did it get LoS on the Coyote through the woods in the center?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Shoeless posted:

I think a key thing to take away from this turn, with the Coyote getting shot, is that the Woodsman is on the top of the building, not in it. So it can see over woods. Unless I'm mistaken, PTN? In which case how did it get LoS on the Coyote through the woods in the center?

Seriously? There is a protocol to be followed here. Shoot the building.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

AJ_Impy posted:

Seriously? There is a protocol to be followed here. Shoot the building.

A height-3 hardened building?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

PoptartsNinja posted:

A height-3 hardened building?

Given enough ordnance on an easy target?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

AJ_Impy posted:

Given enough ordnance on an easy target?

The average damage of the player weapons on the field is slightly above 5. I'm not saying it can't work, just that it's very unlikely to.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

PoptartsNinja posted:

The average damage of the player weapons on the field is slightly above 5. I'm not saying it can't work, just that it's very unlikely to.

if the building is attacked, I'd like the next fluff dialogue to be PTN's transcribing his bafflement as "verbatim dialogue from the 331st command staff managing final evaluation test" fluff.

e: sadly no chance of the building burning a point of EDGE to stay alive.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Well, what's the CF of the building? I mean that Woodsman has a huge advantage in range if those Large Lasers are clan-spec, it doesn't give the players the ability to really try and snipe back. The woods would help but them being bogged down and in close quartes really negates the usefulness of the C3.

It may be best to just actually start grabbing some of the loot and hauling it. The Atlas part is still sitting there.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Shoeless posted:

I mean that Woodsman has a huge advantage in range if those Large Lasers are clan-spec

I've already told people they're not, this isn't a mystery.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Shoeless posted:

Well, what's the CF of the building? I mean that Woodsman has a huge advantage in range if those Large Lasers are clan-spec, it doesn't give the players the ability to really try and snipe back. The woods would help but them being bogged down and in close quartes really negates the usefulness of the C3.

It may be best to just actually start grabbing some of the loot and hauling it. The Atlas part is still sitting there.

Hardened buildings have around 90+ CF I think, I don't quite remember, but they're hefty fuckers.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Shoeless posted:

^^^ They really need to start putting points on the board now that the enemy force is whittled down a bit. Maybe kill the babby, take good shots where you can, but use the woods to dance around the last group of heavies and get some of that loot. You don't have the armor left to stand up to them.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Yeah, don't forget that the point of the exercise is to grab the gubbins and run.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Scintilla posted:

Yeah, don't forget that the point of the exercise is to grab the gubbins and run.

The problem is that everyone on the board is super fragile- and unlike in Payday, there's no way to get eliminated players back in the fight.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Should I continue shooting things or make a loot run?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Kill the Commando. Keep your move mods up. Me and the battlemaster are going to finish it off this turn. With your added firepower we should be able to gurantee a kill.

Coyotl is in the middle of the woods and a terrible target to shoot at. I suggest we kill the commando then move through the middle to get the objectives there as their heavies come across the top to us.

Coyote has no (worthwhile) weapons but has speed and armor. He should do the loot runs.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

I've already told people they're not, this isn't a mystery.

Okay, I guess I glossed over that post. My bad.

apostateCourier posted:

The problem is that everyone on the board is super fragile- and unlike in Payday, there's no way to get eliminated players back in the fight.

Well they can either try to get a few points by killing as many of the remaining enemies as possible and die doing it, or they can grab the objectives and hustle them to the drop point for a lot of points and die doing it. I'd say go for the one that's gonna get them more points. If they're super fragile then it doesn't matter whether they shoot or grab, they're no more or less fragile either way. And if they concentrate on the loot and not on getting good shots, they can make moves and position themselves to deny the enemy shots or make their shots worse, since they don't care as much about returning fire, just staying alive. They must become the Beegees.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

apostateCourier posted:

now I want to see a bunch of mechs yell at an enemy one to GET YOUR FUCKIN HANDS UP and then convert it to fight on their side :allears:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Two questions: Does 2019 count as behind the commando? And can I walk through the mountain lions hex or do I need to go around?

e; Also can I fire the torso lasers and still suplex?

Great Beer fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 2, 2014

Kilty Monroe
Dec 27, 2006

Upon the frozen fields of arctic Strana Mechty, the Ghost Dads lie in wait, preparing to ambush their prey with their zippin' and zoppin' and ziggy-zoop-boppin'.
I'd say the overall strategy for the rest of the match should be to have the Shadow Hawk jump around in the trees like an rear end in a top hat while staying within 4-5 hexes from the enemy, painting them with Nemesis pods, and hoping for lucky crits from the armor-piercing AC/5. The Crab and Battlemaster then take advantage of the C3i to take potshots from afar while running interference for the Coyote as it grabs the loot with its one good arm. Possibly smash some more stuff open and have the Crab carry anything else back so the team takes less trips to get all the loot back.

I've never really played though so take this with a grain of salt. It'll also take better team coordination than there's been so far or it'll all fall apart.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Psion posted:

now I want to see a bunch of mechs yell at an enemy one to GET YOUR FUCKIN HANDS UP and then convert it to fight on their side :allears:

I'd rather see someone yell at the Sentinel to GET THE gently caress UP and have it magically repair it's engine and CT.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Great Beer posted:

e; Also can I fire the torso lasers and still suplex?

"And fire no weapons" suggests the answer to that is 'no.' ;)

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Kilty Monroe posted:

I'd say the overall strategy for the rest of the match should be to have the Shadow Hawk jump around in the trees like an rear end in a top hat while staying within 4-5 hexes from the enemy, painting them with Nemesis pods, and hoping for lucky crits from the armor-piercing AC/5. The Crab and Battlemaster then take advantage of the C3i to take potshots from afar while running interference for the Coyote as it grabs the loot with its one good arm. Possibly smash some more stuff open and have the Crab carry anything else back so the team takes less trips to get all the loot back.

I've never really played though so take this with a grain of salt. It'll also take better team coordination than there's been so far or it'll all fall apart.

I would say the Shadowhawk's a better choice for grabbing things, or the Crab. The Shadowhawk because it's 5/8/5 and so terrain isn't as big an issue, the Crab's 6/9. The Coyote's only 5/8.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Crabby Crab - Orders In

Moving to 2120 and buggering the Commando with everything.

Kilty Monroe
Dec 27, 2006

Upon the frozen fields of arctic Strana Mechty, the Ghost Dads lie in wait, preparing to ambush their prey with their zippin' and zoppin' and ziggy-zoop-boppin'.

Shoeless posted:

I would say the Shadowhawk's a better choice for grabbing things, or the Crab. The Shadowhawk because it's 5/8/5 and so terrain isn't as big an issue, the Crab's 6/9. The Coyote's only 5/8.

I'm looking at it from the perspective of giving up the least amount of firepower. The Coyote's already lost its main armament, so the team can most afford to have it duck out of fighting for a few turns. It also has nothing in its remaining arm, so it won't be weakened further by having its hand full, unlike the Crab.

It's a little less mobile, but move mods for 7, 8 or 9 hexes are all +3 anyways, so it won't be any more vulnerable. The Crab or Shadow Hawk might get the loot back a turn quicker but I don't think that's worth the trade-off.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

Counterpoint: if you can get behind the metal babby with the Battlemaster and don't shoot it, and I will let you German Suplex it in the physical attack phase.

PoptartsNinja posted:

"And fire no weapons" suggests the answer to that is 'no.' ;)

Can he shoot something that isn't the babby?

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

apostateCourier posted:

Can he shoot something that isn't the babby?

What is so difficult to understand about "If you don't fire any weapons"?

Kilty Monroe posted:

I'm looking at it from the perspective of giving up the least amount of firepower. The Coyote's already lost its main armament, so the team can most afford to have it duck out of fighting for a few turns. It also has nothing in its remaining arm, so it won't be weakened further by having its hand full, unlike the Crab.

It's a little less mobile, but move mods for 7, 8 or 9 hexes are all +3 anyways, so it won't be any more vulnerable. The Crab or Shadow Hawk might get the loot back a turn quicker but I don't think that's worth the trade-off.

Point. Though I do think a turn each trip is worth the trade-off. Probably at least 3 trips, and a turn of concentrated fire is a lot. And the Shadowhawk would be especially good and would probably get more than a turn each trip due to jump jets- the only thing that could really keep up with it through woods and elevation changes is the Coyotl. Not to mention, the Coyote still has a targeting computer-aided ERLL and a Streak SRM 6. The Shadowhawk has... A LAC/5 and two ERMlas. And iNARC I suppose, which could be useful, but given the luck the players have been having with it, I'm not convinced. Also there's the fact that the Shadowhawk's a lot less banged up than the Coyote, that thing's remaining arm is 12 damage away from coming right off.

I'm firmly convinced that the benefits of the Shadowhawk's jump jets given the terrain outweighs the fact that it wouldn't be contributing as much firepower.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

apostateCourier posted:

I'd rather see someone yell at the Sentinel to GET THE gently caress UP and have it magically repair it's engine and CT.

alright, someone write a Payday/BT crossover rule set. Dibs on masterforcer with a Thanatos. In this I guess that'd be a more accurate naval gauss or something, considering how much overkill that thing does to everything not a dozer.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Shoeless posted:

What is so difficult to understand about "If you don't fire any weapons"?

If you read both quotes, there's a discrepancy there. That's where the confusion is.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

apostateCourier posted:

If you read both quotes, there's a discrepancy there. That's where the confusion is.

Ok, here's some fluff:

He can't fire any weapons because he needs to be aiming them at the ground to not snap the barrels off his medium lasers (`Mech torso weapons aren't fixed, the things move around thanks to myomer) when he gives the other `Mech a giant robot hug. He needs to not shoot his arm weapons so he can use his arms.

:ocelot::shobon:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Kilty Monroe posted:

They really don't need much firepower anymore. The mission is grabbing loot and avoiding getting killed dead now. Ideally the metal babby dies this turn, and at some point you get some shots in on the Coyotl, since it's the only thing that can keep up with you, but there's no way team players out-fights those three totally fresh heavies, especially not when one has hardened armor.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

Ok, here's some fluff:

He can't fire any weapons because he needs to be aiming them at the ground to not snap the barrels off his medium lasers (`Mech torso weapons aren't fixed, the things move around thanks to myomer) when he gives the other `Mech a giant robot hug. He needs to not shoot his arm weapons so he can use his arms.

:ocelot::shobon:

Sorry about that. I get lost in minutiae very easily.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Orders in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Arc4rMZnVQ&t=12s

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

apostateCourier posted:

Sorry about that. I get lost in minutiae very easily.

Never play Warhammer 40k. The poorly written and loophole filled rules would kill you dead.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Guys... I made it. I'm in the present now. This has been a treat to read through, thank you for this PTN.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

jng2058 posted:

Never play Warhammer 40k. The poorly written and loophole filled rules would kill you dead.

The secret of tabletop gaming is that all the rules are bad and you're actually there to tell a story with friends. There seems to be an inverse correlation between interesting fluff and good rules. Have you ever tried to play Shadowrun the way the book tells you to?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I just hope that poor baby doesn't fall on its head too much because killing pilots ain't cool.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

SIGSEGV posted:

I just hope that poor baby doesn't fall on its head too much because killing pilots ain't cool.

If he doesn't eject the moment the Suplexing begins he deserves whatever happens.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

The secret of tabletop gaming is that all the rules are bad and you're actually there to tell a story with friends. There seems to be an inverse correlation between interesting fluff and good rules. Have you ever tried to play Shadowrun the way the book tells you to?

Don't lie people who play 40k don't have friends.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Yes.

Remmon
Dec 9, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

I have actually, both in SR3 and SR4. It was actually pretty funny in SR3, it was just plain annoying in SR4. Now we have pages of house rules and disregard a bunch of the more retarded stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Note to self:

Next time I offer to let someone do something neat that's in a rules gray-area, offer it in secret so the other players don't go out of their way to ruin it out of apparent spite? :raise:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Sep 3, 2014

• Locked thread