Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AgentF
May 11, 2009

BULBASAUR posted:

I really like the idea of maelstrom missions, but the execution leaves me pretty :flaccid:

This is a good way to summarise most things GW I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
€221 lmbo

:siren: Also does anyone know if the ~GIANT~ Heresy Legion posters will be only available at the Euro Open Day?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
The Questoris is (possibly) the only FW Knight I think looks okay. It looks like it's actually a build off of GW's Knight and not the FW 'skinny guy standing upright' chassis.

Someone tell them to pick a naming convention that makes sense, though.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
I think the actual ruleset for 7th is pretty good. We control a couple of the elements we don't like by running our own missions, which provide additional bonuses to forces that adhere to a traditional FOC, and provide multiple avenues to winning (objectives, mission cards and kill points -- all of which are scaled down a bit from how they're set up in the BRB).

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

*is it* still the 'BRB'? What are the cool kids calling the 7e book?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Hey 30k dorks, what's the cheapest mandatory troops choices you can field in a 30k army?

I wanna try proxying a legion army but I generally play at 1000pts and the normal troops choices take up like, 1/3 of your army or some poo poo. Also I don't have loads and loads of marine models.

Like is there any way I can use FoC shenanigans to run some 5 man termies as my troops?

krushgroove posted:

*is it* still the 'BRB'? What are the cool kids calling the 7e book?

Overpriced.

*puts on shades to look cool, but everyone in the thread just sort of quietly shakes their head in disgust*

Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

PeterWeller posted:

Ahh, I get you. :)

Do you have the FW Zone Mortalis tiles, or do you use something else, and if so, what? I'd like to play it some, but I don't know what terrain to use.

We've tried kids' building blocks/linkin logs, paper D&D-style maps (and also card dungeon tiles), and a few other things. We haven't settled on a permanent solution--I'm considering buying the Bug Hunt corridors that were on Kickstarter a while ago, or possibly the FW stuff since I hear great things. The Independent Characters mentioned that people at Adepticon were using 1x1' floor tiles and adding stuff on top, which sounds like a great idea.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Moola posted:

Hey 30k dorks, what's the cheapest mandatory troops choices you can field in a 30k army?

I wanna try proxying a legion army but I generally play at 1000pts and the normal troops choices take up like, 1/3 of your army or some poo poo. Also I don't have loads and loads of marine models.

Like is there any way I can use FoC shenanigans to run some 5 man termies as my troops?

A decent Legion Praetor with 2 terminator squads and Pride of the Legion will run you around 500 points. 1000 points doesn't leave you a whole lot of room for other stuff except maybe a transport for one of them and a terminator apothecary for the other, though.

edit: here you go

HQ
Praetor + Cataphractii armor + volkite charger
142 points
Centurion + cataphractii armor + primus medicae
120 points

Troops
Legion Terminators
175 points
Legion Terminators
175 points

Heavy Support
Land Raider Phobos
250 points

That leaves you 140 points to gently caress with the terminators and the Land Raider.

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Sep 3, 2014

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Cool, are there any 5 man non-terminator troops that can count as mandatory?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
No, all the default mandatories are 10+.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

Squifferific posted:

I did a dangerous thing and I started playing around in Battlescribe with the new Grey Knights list. Then I went to see prices online. The Vanguard box is $260CAN, has $323 worth of models in it, and can be found at my friendly online retailer for $195.

Then I thought of the 40+ infantry and six tanks I still have to paint for my Guard army. ONE ARMY AT A TIME.

I bought this.
I still have Guard to paint. :getin:

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Creepy Goat posted:

€221 lmbo

:siren: Also does anyone know if the ~GIANT~ Heresy Legion posters will be only available at the Euro Open Day?

Looks like another lancer style, and that puts it about the same price as the castigator they just released. Question is what the hell is the other knight supposed to do.

The rest of the admech stuff looks legit. But is the Archmagos supposed to be a special character or something? There isnt an entry with that name.

e: VVVVVV looks like a claw to me

Also looks like they are releasing the AdMech Party Train

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 3, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
It looks like it might have two ranged weapons, which would be sweet.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Creepy Goat posted:

They specifically say so...

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

When FW offers a Heresy Era Leman Russ or similar tank I'll probably cave in and buy just so I have a special HQ vehicle for my Armoured Force to be. Just a question of time before that happens.
Which is gonna be one unholy mix of things if the Crusader tank I bought from Blitzkrieg a while ago turns out to be a fitting count-as replacement.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Cooked Auto posted:

When FW offers a Heresy Era Leman Russ or similar tank I'll probably cave in and buy just so I have a special HQ vehicle for my Armoured Force to be. Just a question of time before that happens.
Which is gonna be one unholy mix of things if the Crusader tank I bought from Blitzkrieg a while ago turns out to be a fitting count-as replacement.

Leman Russ tanks didnt exist until well after the heresy so I doubt they'll have one. You might get an equivalent from the Calth book though.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

Leman Russ tanks didnt exist until well after the heresy so I doubt they'll have one. You might get an equivalent from the Calth book though.

Well I expect them to release some type of main battle tank once they get around with their Imperial Army releases.
Whenever that happens.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Cooked Auto posted:

Well I expect them to release some type of main battle tank once they get around with their Imperial Army releases.
Whenever that happens.

Wasn't their MBT at the time the Baneblade series tanks? Also those new Legion tanks:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Ghost Hand posted:

They specifically say so...

It's about time they made Space Marine Fatheads.

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"

Sir Teabag posted:

I bought this.
I still have Guard to paint. :getin:

You crazy rich stupid brave man.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Cream_Filling posted:

Wasn't their MBT at the time the Baneblade series tanks? Also those new Legion tanks:

No I think the Baneblade was the Scout tank during that era or something.
Man, without the sponsons that would be a tank I'd love to have because it does appeal to me a very sci-fi tank way.
No idea how well it would really fit in a normal 40k armoured combat group. Probably stick out like a sore thumb.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

No, all the default mandatories are 10+.

Dang, any idea when the Imperial Army are coming out? I've got a box of those cheap 80 plastic guard looking models I could use I guess.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

In older fluff, Land Raiders were used extensively by the Imperial Army, though maybe that was in an APC role.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Sulecrist posted:

In older fluff, Land Raiders were used extensively by the Imperial Army, though maybe that was in an APC role.
Imperial Army used Land Raiders and Rhinos regularly in Rogue Trader.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
^^^ still the best rhinos and land raiders.

serious gaylord posted:

True, but the farming vehicle that would become the Leman Russ DID exist at the time :v:

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Top left: Spiders Of Mars Terra?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Yeah the Imperial Army's main battle tank was the Baneblade and its variants. The leman russ was a tractor.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Sulecrist posted:

Fluff I recall reading says that Imperial Land Raiders were widely used, but that they were concentrated within the Space Marine ranks during the heresy by decree of the emperor, because they lost so many of the Forgeworlds that made them to chaos; the Emperor died ascended to the golden throne before he could rescind the order, so it stands to this day.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

Fluff I recall reading says that Imperial Land Raiders were widely used, but that they were concentrated within the Space Marine ranks during the heresy by decree of the emperor, because they lost so many of the Forgeworlds that made them to chaos; the Emperor died ascended to the golden throne before he could rescind the order, so it stands to this day.

Yep, I think that's what I read too. My main source was that one Index Astartes WD article about the discovery, adoption, and use of the Land Raider. I think it came with a poster.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Post 9-11 User posted:

Top left: Spiders Of Mars Terra?

Necromunda

Slimnoid posted:

^^^ still the best rhinos and land raiders.

True, but the farming vehicle that would become the Leman Russ DID exist at the time :v:

Forgeworld makes modernized versions of the original tiny land raider and rhino, they're pretty boss

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 3, 2014

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Moola posted:

Dang, any idea when the Imperial Army are coming out? I've got a box of those cheap 80 plastic guard looking models I could use I guess.

Next Horus Heresy book, along with an unknown number of Astartes legions. Prospero got pushed back, which would have had the Space Wolves, Thousand Sons, Adeptus Custodes, and Sisters of Silence, so the next one is Conquest. I forget what's supposed to be in it other than the Imperial Army, and I don't think the Legions have been officially announced - Ultramarines seem like a safe bet, then probably Dark Angels or Blood Angels.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Cythereal posted:

Next Horus Heresy book, along with an unknown number of Astartes legions. Prospero got pushed back, which would have had the Space Wolves, Thousand Sons, Adeptus Custodes, and Sisters of Silence, so the next one is Conquest. I forget what's supposed to be in it other than the Imperial Army, and I don't think the Legions have been officially announced - Ultramarines seem like a safe bet, then probably Dark Angels or Blood Angels.

Conquest is about Calth. Ultramarines, Word Bearers, Mechanicum and Army I believe. Unless they've split that down to just Mechanicum and Army.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Cooked Auto posted:

No I think the Baneblade was the Scout tank during that era or something.
Man, without the sponsons that would be a tank I'd love to have because it does appeal to me a very sci-fi tank way.
No idea how well it would really fit in a normal 40k armoured combat group. Probably stick out like a sore thumb.

It looks ok

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah that it does, even if it feels more suitable as Lord of War or Baneblade stand in rather than just a cool HQ Russ.
Or just something more fitting an SM army rather than IG.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

This one looks more than OK to me :awesome:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Kaysette posted:

This one looks more than OK to me :awesome:

Sure, it's ok, I mean if you like medium sized weapons.

This on the other hand

:heysexy:

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Tried some secret deployment shenanigans, was crazy fun.

Count up number of units. Assign each unit a card. Secretly include two fake cards.

Deploy cards instead of units when deploying.

Then either you can reveal units then and there and keep reserves secret, or you can do what we did which is have 2d6x3 inches spotter distance for each unit so stuff remains secret turn 1-2.

Was very very fun as the lists were surprises and the reserves were surprised too. I got outflanked badly by scorcha buggies, he got caught out by two squads of devastators and a thunderfire cannon.

MVP is the vindicare assassin headshotting his warboss, and the librarian massacring Orks with psychic shriek. Balla.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
That second knight looks like an admech knight :getin:

Moola posted:

If you take a preator and pride of the legion ROW you can run 5 man tacticool vetran squads and 5 man terminators as troops. That's the smallest troop investment you can make. Also its comically expensive:

Preator with Stuff - 150 points
Vetran Tacticool Squad - ~250 points
Vetran Tacticool Squad - ~250 points

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
Does anyone have any advice for space marine bikes staying on their bases? Half of my Ravenwing don't seem to like staying on. I've considered pinning but I feel like they should just be able to stay on and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Direwolf posted:

Does anyone have any advice for space marine bikes staying on their bases? Half of my Ravenwing don't seem to like staying on. I've considered pinning but I feel like they should just be able to stay on and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here.

What are you using for a base? Is it just the normal plastic base, or have you added anything on to it like cork? If it's just the normal plastic, I gave up on anything fancy or clever and used plastic cement on the bottoms of the tires, then did the rest of my basing around the bike.

• Locked thread