Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004
My phone did a thing, and is acting like I haven't posted this message every time I open the SA forum app. Apologies for double posting.

CountingWizard fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Aug 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

CountingWizard posted:

I grew up with 2e and later, and it's the main reason I never felt compelled to play with other people. I mean who wants to spend 6 hours role playing boring story filler crap. Looking back at the differences now, skills took away a lot of player agency and turned it into progress quest.
You copied you own post twice, and neither time are you referring to the right edition.

VacuumJockey
Jun 6, 2011

by R. Guyovich

TheSpookyDanger posted:

I haven't heard of that game before, would you mind talking about it more?
Sure thing, AER is An Echo, Resounding. It's an add-on for Labyrinth Lord written by Kevin Crawford of Sine Nomine Publishing, and it gives you domain admin and mass combat rules for LL - and by extension, also for other D&D-like fantasy games.

This ruleset is abstract - it doesn't concern itself with minutiae like goggleworm gallbladders, iron spearheads, or halfling tobacco, but instead abstracts these specifics into 3 general traits: Wealth, Social, and Military.

This thread at an unpopular forum will give you a much better idea of what AER is. :)

Strength of Many
Jan 13, 2012

The butthurt is the life... and it shall be mine.
Question from someone who's only briefly played AD&D, how often do your games ever use the Complete Handbooks? Specifically the Fighter one. I'm curious to see if combat maneuvers and the like were an actual staple of the Fighter and their ilk or if its a fever dream.

Strength of Many fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 24, 2014

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Our 2E group used them regularly but always took that stuff on a kind of case-by-case, take-it-or-leave it basis. Basically if a player was like "yo I wanna do this thing in the book" then they were more than welcome to bring it into the game, but there were so many situational rules and poo poo in AD&D that no one DM could even reliably be expected to remember all the options offered by various books especially because you'd get stuff like Combat & Tactics and Skills & Powers coming out later that would contradict it and end up with people who (for example) made their characters with two different conceptions of what "weapon mastery" does.

The splats for 2E, even the Complete books which were ostensibly a series, also weren't created equal in terms of quality or mechanics. Comparing the kits from Complete Thief and Complete Bard is absurd; the majority of the former either do nothing or give you a +2 reaction roll bonus or penalty, while the latter are basically fully-blown subclasses with unique abilities that still give me ideas for Bard characters and NPCs in modern iterations of the game.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Strength of Many posted:

Question from someone who's only briefly played AD&D, how often do your games ever use the Complete Handbooks? Specifically the Fighter one. I'm curious to see if combat maneuvers and the like were an actual staple of the Fighter and their ilk or if its a fever dream.
We used them constantly. (Did you mean the fighting styles? Like "Single Weapon" and "Two Handed Weapon" specialties?)

Zombies' Downfall posted:

The splats for 2E, even the Complete books which were ostensibly a series, also weren't created equal in terms of quality or mechanics. Comparing the kits from Complete Thief and Complete Bard is absurd; the majority of the former either do nothing or give you a +2 reaction roll bonus or penalty, while the latter are basically fully-blown subclasses with unique abilities that still give me ideas for Bard characters and NPCs in modern iterations of the game.
The Thief one was specifically bad. Nothing beats the Elven Archer for potential low-level brokenness though.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

FRINGE posted:

You copied you own post twice, and neither time are you referring to the right edition.
I think there was some kind of forums glitch, because I also posted a follow-up reply which disappeared. To repeat it in brief:

When discussing opinions on 2e, it's hard to distinguish people's opinions on the core ruleset from what they think of the campaign settings, the changes to the existing settings, the many optional players kits and rules supplements, and how they felt about a TSR that was no longer associated with Gygax.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Halloween Jack posted:

When discussing opinions on 2e, it's hard to distinguish people's opinions on the core ruleset from what they think of the campaign settings, the changes to the existing settings, the many optional players kits and rules supplements, and how they felt about a TSR that was no longer associated with Gygax.

For that matter, the edition lasted for so long that there were and probably still are edition warriors specifically holding a grudge over the changes to 2e itself over its lifespan. (See: Player's Option, Dark Sun Revised and Expanded, weird anti-Planescape purists who rejected the setting's core conceits outright because the planes ought to be too dangerous for low-level characters, etc.)

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

I think there was some kind of forums glitch, because I also posted a follow-up reply which disappeared. To repeat it in brief:

I meant specifically the comment about the skills "progress quest". Unless you were using a set of rules that I can remember, that really wasnt a thing that existed in 2e. The non-weapon proficiencies were mostly pass/fail rolls based on stats with a modifier.

The ridiculous skill/number bloat was another mess that came in with 3e. "How much better is a +51 than a +46???"

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

FRINGE posted:

I meant specifically the comment about the skills "progress quest". Unless you were using a set of rules that I can remember, that really wasnt a thing that existed in 2e. The non-weapon proficiencies were mostly pass/fail rolls based on stats with a modifier.

The ridiculous skill/number bloat was another mess that came in with 3e. "How much better is a +51 than a +46???"

Five better. It's five better.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

FRINGE posted:

The problem with 3e is not that the numbers are big, per se, but that the accuracy of rolls isn't bounded in any way. The designers were trying to make the system "universal" without understanding how the d20-based mechanic actually worked.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Not sure this is exactly the right thread, but can anybody tell me about all the early imitations of DnD? Stuff like Tunnels and Trolls and Rolemaster? There's a huge gap in my knowledge of fantasy role playing--I'm just curious what these other games did that DnD didn't.

What prompted this is an ad in White Dwarf 18 for Tunnels and Trolls that says "Are you roll-playing instead of role-playing? Tunnels and Trolls is the answer!". White Dwarf 18 has a cover date of 1980, and T & T is advertising its 5th edition already, so it's gotten me curious.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/evilhat/designers-and-dragons

I could say, but I couldn't it half as well as Shannon does. Back it for a buck and get immediate access to the volume on the 1970s!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

A Strange Aeon posted:

Not sure this is exactly the right thread, but can anybody tell me about all the early imitations of DnD? Stuff like Tunnels and Trolls and Rolemaster? There's a huge gap in my knowledge of fantasy role playing--I'm just curious what these other games did that DnD didn't.

What prompted this is an ad in White Dwarf 18 for Tunnels and Trolls that says "Are you roll-playing instead of role-playing? Tunnels and Trolls is the answer!". White Dwarf 18 has a cover date of 1980, and T & T is advertising its 5th edition already, so it's gotten me curious.
Holy crap are you in luck.

Go here and pledge: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/evilhat/designers-and-dragons

The 70's volume has all that stuff from the dawn of the hobby. And the 80's book is already out if you're at $15 or more.

e: :ninja:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
heh, I get to :ninja: somebody finally. Both the books that are out are absolutely fascinating. Shannon has talked to pretty much everybody it seems.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

heh, I get to :ninja: somebody finally. Both the books that are out are absolutely fascinating. Shannon has talked to pretty much everybody it seems.
It is amazing, and I'm glad he tries to fairly present the facts.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

dwarf74 posted:

It is amazing, and I'm glad he tries to fairly present the facts.

Well, poo poo, I guess I'm backing this!

Thanks for the tip--never would have heard of this project otherwise!

e. Holy cow, even looking at the table of contents, I'm blown away. This looks really, really awesome.

A Strange Aeon fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Aug 26, 2014

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

This is amazing and I immediately backed it.

Did I really read that right? For $15 I get all the PDFs? That's what I did. That seems like a fantastic deal.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

dichloroisocyanuric posted:

This is amazing and I immediately backed it.

Did I really read that right? For $15 I get all the PDFs? That's what I did. That seems like a fantastic deal.
Yep, and only $10 more to upgrade to a printed volume with the bookmarks, which is where I am. I'd like the 70's in paper since it's got the stuff I always wanted to know more about while growing up. It's also got GDW who started in my hometown. And TSR of course!

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!
If you're interested in a more in-depth look at the development of D&D and the earliest days of the hobby, Jon Peterson's Playing at the World looks specifically at that period. Part of one chapter covers some of the earliest, most D&D-derivative RPGs like Tunnels & Trolls and the relationship between TSR and the burgeoning D&D fandom of the time.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
The '90s has been released for the $15+ backers!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
So I'm looking at running my first sandbox-style game with a hex map and locations/dungeons/features scattered around for the PCs to get way over their heads in. Here's my problem: where do you get hex paper to draw out maps on? I'm familiar with graph paper, but not hex. Does Amazon sell it? Is it used for anything besides elfgaming / where else could you find some?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Arivia posted:

So I'm looking at running my first sandbox-style game with a hex map and locations/dungeons/features scattered around for the PCs to get way over their heads in. Here's my problem: where do you get hex paper to draw out maps on? I'm familiar with graph paper, but not hex. Does Amazon sell it? Is it used for anything besides elfgaming / where else could you find some?

I used to buy hex paper at a place that... poo poo, I don't even know how to describe it. It was like an office supplies kind of place but just for stationery, so no chairs or filing cabinets or printer ink for sale, just any kind of pen, pencil, paper, ruler, notebook, etc you could want. Classroom equipment warehouse? Map store? Are there even any map stores around any more?

Or you could google "a4 hex grid" and print it off in light grey or something. You don't really need much hex paper. https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...w=1920&bih=1088

e: Better yet, draw your map and then print a light grey hex grid over it.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Sep 1, 2014

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Whenever I need graph paper I mostly just make it in GIMP, but for hex paper I usually use this website.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Arivia posted:

What kind of FR nerd are you where you don't have half a dozen of those clear plastic overlays lying around? :v:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PeterWeller posted:

What kind of FR nerd are you where you don't have half a dozen of those clear plastic overlays lying around? :v:

Haha yeah I totally thought about those a little while after posting. It's not perfect since I want to add terrain features to fit the hexes, not just use a prepublished map, but it will work just fine.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Are there any retroclones that give Wizards/Mages a basic, "at-will" magical attack, similar to 4E, or is that already too different?

Or, if I was going to hack up a mechanic myself, how might that work?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Are there any retroclones that give Wizards/Mages a basic, "at-will" magical attack, similar to 4E, or is that already too different?

Or, if I was going to hack up a mechanic myself, how might that work?
I've been working on and off on a game derived from my own B/X retroclone (TAAC) that gives Wizards a few really minor at-wills, one of which is Magic Blast - 1d3 damage(d6/2) and requiring a ranged attack roll to hit. I wanted Wizards to have some way to attack that wasn't fists, a dagger or a stick (and therefore required them to get into melee, which at low levels is suicide), but at the same time keeping its damage and secondary effects limited. (I think having Fire Bolt as a cantrip in 5e - 1d10 fire damage with 120' range at-will - is way overpowered, and is just going to be spammed. Same with Ray Of Frost, which is only 1d8 damage but adds a no-save suck effect to compensate.)

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

If you're talking about AD&D or 2e, there's really no reason not to give the M-U some kind of at-will type attack that gives a small amount of damage out to a short kind of range*. The thing that might gently caress stuff up is if you write it as "fire" or "acid" or something and then it's going to have uses other than being an attack. Stick with "bolts of magic force". They'll break anything you could break with a thrown rock.

Because it's something that they can do lots of, calling for an attack roll would be appropriate. You might want to grant some kind of bonus, because M-U attack numbers are poo poo. Maybe give them ranged to-hit bonus as if their INT was DEX for just this one thing.

*These numbers come directly off the top of my head, but 1d6 out to 30 feet probably won't ruin everything. I'd probably lower the damage for BECMI. e: You know what, I probably wouldn't do this at all in BECMI.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Sep 4, 2014

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

Payndz posted:

I've been working on and off on a game derived from my own B/X retroclone (TAAC) that gives Wizards a few really minor at-wills, one of which is Magic Blast - 1d3 damage(d6/2) and requiring a ranged attack roll to hit. I wanted Wizards to have some way to attack that wasn't fists, a dagger or a stick (and therefore required them to get into melee, which at low levels is suicide), but at the same time keeping its damage and secondary effects limited. (I think having Fire Bolt as a cantrip in 5e - 1d10 fire damage with 120' range at-will - is way overpowered, and is just going to be spammed. Same with Ray Of Frost, which is only 1d8 damage but adds a no-save suck effect to compensate.)

Magic Users can already throw daggers, why give them free spells? In either case they would still most likely be ranging into melee and possibly hit friendly targets. Even fighting-men are limited by ammo, why should magic users have unlimited ammo?

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Personally, I still reckon letting the wizard use a crossbow also works - when your one spell per day is gone, you can still contribute to the fight, and it does make sense. But then, I'm also in favour of allowing any character to learn how to use any weapon in play, so take that for what it's worth.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

CountingWizard posted:

Magic Users can already throw daggers, why give them free spells? In either case they would still most likely be ranging into melee and possibly hit friendly targets. Even fighting-men are limited by ammo, why should magic users have unlimited ammo?
No one should have to keep track of ammo. I've done it before and it was more annoying than anything. Give archers infinite non-magical ammo, always.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
I don't see it in the list, but I'd totally recommend adding the African Fantasy retroclone Spears of the Dawn. It's "close enough to D&D" in that it uses a lot of the familiar tropes (vancian magic, 6 ability scores, etc), but the author really took his time to iron out the system and removed a lot of unnecessary sacred cows which could hold things back. He also extensively researched African legends and folklore beyond the stereotypical "jungle savages" tropes so common in media.

I have a fairly detailed write-up of it here. On that note, I should get back to writing that review. I notice that I tend to have a bad habit of reviewing products and then leaving them in the dust.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
That too - Spears of the Dawn is a very interesting alternative. It's like a cross between the best bits of old school D&D combined with a few bits of old school Traveller.

On the topic of keeping track of ammo, I think it depends on the kind of campaign you're running. If you're running a heroic campaign with the intention of telling an awesome story, then keeping track of ammo is probably going to detract from that. If you're running a campaign about a group of guys who found this really deep cave network that they could conceivably spend a week or longer exploring, then I think that all resources should be tracked.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Payndz posted:

AlphaDog posted:

If you're talking about AD&D or 2e, there's really no reason not to give the M-U some kind of at-will type attack that gives a small amount of damage out to a short kind of range*. The thing that might gently caress stuff up is if you write it as "fire" or "acid" or something and then it's going to have uses other than being an attack. Stick with "bolts of magic force". They'll break anything you could break with a thrown rock.

Because it's something that they can do lots of, calling for an attack roll would be appropriate. You might want to grant some kind of bonus, because M-U attack numbers are poo poo. Maybe give them ranged to-hit bonus as if their INT was DEX for just this one thing.

Thanks for the input! I know the old way of dealing with this was just giving the Mage a sling or a crossbow, but I just wanted something that would allow a spellslinger to sling a spell as his worst-case attack option and for him to be able to use his INT stat instead of DEX. I think an attack roll + INT modifier and 1d3, 1d4 damage tops could be something I could play with.

CarrKnight
May 24, 2013
I wanted to ask what other games are like Adventurer Conqueror Kings. In particular the idea of domains, cities and hexes being fully specified by rules.
I just want at some point play an hexcrawl and I would like for most things within in, form that tower to that dungeon to have rules if the characters want to take it and run it.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

dwarf74 posted:

Yep, and only $10 more to upgrade to a printed volume with the bookmarks, which is where I am. I'd like the 70's in paper since it's got the stuff I always wanted to know more about while growing up. It's also got GDW who started in my hometown. And TSR of course!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The '90s has been released for the $15+ backers!
This (link) is in its last 60 minutes as I post, I just got in for $25 for all the PDFs plus one softcover professionally printed book. I plan to add the other three books in softcover after the campaign's over, and maybe splurge for additional print-on-demand hardcovers too (we'll see). The teaser TSR chapter in PDF was great, and a great idea to sell me on it (not that I needed much). Thanks TG goons for posting about this!

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

CarrKnight posted:

I wanted to ask what other games are like Adventurer Conqueror Kings. In particular the idea of domains, cities and hexes being fully specified by rules.
I just want at some point play an hexcrawl and I would like for most things within in, form that tower to that dungeon to have rules if the characters want to take it and run it.

I've not read it but I gather An Echo, Resounding might assist.

VacuumJockey
Jun 6, 2011

by R. Guyovich

CarrKnight posted:

Well, ACKS is the big dog when it comes to domain management in an OSR ruleset. Sine Nomine's An Echo, Resounding is the other big one although it's not a stand-alone game - you add it to Labyrinth Lord (or another d20-based ruleset).

If you play Pathfinder, the Kingmaker campaign contains tools for domain management; I believe that they are also available as a stand-alone supp.

If you want to know more about ACKS and/or AER, I referred TheSpookyDanger to a very useful link at the top of this page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

VacuumJockey posted:

If you play Pathfinder, the Kingmaker campaign contains tools for domain management; I believe that they are also available as a stand-alone supp.

Yeah, they're in Ultimate Campaign with the town-building stuff.

• Locked thread