Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mazzletoff
Dec 17, 2012

wake me up
before you jojo
I've been replaying Dark Souls 2 and I'm looking to get back into Xenoblade. Who knows, maybe I'll finally beat DMC4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebelwerfer
Jul 25, 2008

He carried our avenging steel over the Rhine,
He drank the emperor's toast from the Danube.

BombiTheZombie posted:

Darksiders 2 was an alright videogame.

Not as good as the first one tho

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001

waht's her address i'm gonna go take pictures of her house, maybe she'll move out and stop tweeting so much

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

It's funny that she retweeted that guy who reminded everyone she doxxed a child and acted like she was owning him.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
I've been playing Calculords. It's pretty rad.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'm playing :darksouls:

Thinking about making the jump to :darksouls: II soon since that probably has a healthier population and I'm starting to lose interest in the non-multiplayer aspects of the game.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
So yeah I gotta be honest too no new games really interest me. I'm content with what I have wont be spending much this year from the looks of it. Which is good for my wallet.

Street Fighter, Exile, :darksouls:II and a little but of MS gundam online are all i need right now in my free time.

All these games rock because I can play with my friends easily. Oh and maybe some D3 when I get bored of PoE.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.
Pretty good article on this whole thing http://xgamejournalist.wordpress.com/2014/09/02/yet-another-zoe-and-gamergate-post/

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
It's really hosed up how Patrick Klepek cheated on his wife for the burger lady.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

NutritiousSnack posted:

It's funny that she retweeted that guy who reminded everyone she doxxed a child and acted like she was owning him.

That circle of twitter people, except Abe, who had enough conscience to apologize after people called his job, is extremely proud of that mess and convinced themselves it was just people using the child as an excuse to insult them. The late 20s mental teen who originally started it is so divorced from reality she's somehow turned "you called on a twitter mob" into "lol people are accusing me of putting out a mob hit now", it's actually absurd enough you can't exaggerate it.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Liquid Penguins posted:

It's really hosed up how Patrick Klepek cheated on his wife for the burger

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

gently caress, now I want a burger.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Al Borland posted:

gently caress, now I want a burger.

You don't want that burger, believe me.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Paladinus posted:

You don't want that burger, believe me.

no fur burgers that have bites out of them. I want a nice fancy one that I can take my time with.

Maybe I'll make burgers tonight.

Shadow Puppet Of
Feb 13, 2014

If I worked there I'd have freaked out long ago and smeared toner all over my naked body, flopping around to spell out "I TOLD YOU SO!" on the carpet until campus security could drag me away.
:xbone:

Liquid Penguins posted:

It's really hosed up how Patrick Klepek cheated on his wife for the burger lady.

The hosed up part is how he kept saying "like" with every off-pace stroke and then took her game development PC with him on his way out claiming, "she didn't need it anymore"

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
I'm burgin for some lovely game bloggers *loads up Ben kuchera and Patrick klepek bookmarks while shaking the mustard bottle*

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

quote:

So if the industry is corrupt, why now with Zoe Quinn? Because she is a woman?

Nope. All this corruption I’ve mentioned right now? Not nearly as enough evidence as the Zoe Quinn scandal. Even after Jeff Gerstmann got fired from Gamespot and the Doritos Gate nonsense, most of these theories were speculation and rumors. There were no public tweets, chatlogs saved, emails exchanged, or names being mentioned. In short, the exposure of Zoe Quinn was real, physical proof that the gaming press are extremely unreliable.

You have to be incredibly naive or mentally handicapped to be oblivious to the way coverage is managed by PR; I just don't believe this person's reasoning. On the other hand they wilfully chose to work as a blogger, so maybe they are naive. There's a good reason why some writers like to refer to themselves as 'enthusiast press' and not journalists.

Btw. The Jeff Gerstmann firing saga was confirmed by Jeff himself when their company got brought out by CBSi years ago. Doritos gate was speculation... :stare:
The amount of revisionism required to sell the Zoe Quinn drama as journalist corruption is just startling.

The times when journalists were given consoles, TV's, and straight up cheques for money were just innocent misunderstandings.....

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Tokamak posted:

The times when journalists were given consoles, TV's, and straight up cheques for money were just innocent misunderstandings.....

that campaign owned

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Clitch posted:

Ahhh! You made that post, Zoe! You could have tried that shot again! Did you? Was that your best one?!? Ahhhhhhhhhh!

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I'm convinced she's actively trying to be as unattractive as possible as some sort of statement about... things and stuff, I guess.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
can it truly be misogyny based on hating someone for looking like an ugly schoolboy

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001
WHOAOOOHHH bros, I was about to write a 4 paragraph long seriouspost about corruption in "games journalism" and how it relates to Joey Quinn but then I was like WHAT THE gently caress AM I DOING WITH MY LIFE and deleted my whole post. I wish I could delete everyone involved in this from existence

edit: especially that smug oval office Zoey Queen

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

Tokamak posted:

You have to be incredibly naive or mentally handicapped to be oblivious to the way coverage is managed by PR; I just don't believe this person's reasoning. On the other hand they wilfully chose to work as a blogger, so maybe they are naive. There's a good reason why some writers like to refer to themselves as 'enthusiast press' and not journalists.

Btw. The Jeff Gerstmann firing saga was confirmed by Jeff himself when their company got brought out by CBSi years ago. Doritos gate was speculation... :stare:
The amount of revisionism required to sell the Zoe Quinn drama as journalist corruption is just startling.

Did you even read what he wrote? Because he goes into detail about games coverage always being corrupt. And Jeff Gerstmann didn't confirm the scandal until years after it happened.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not all gamers are terrible cave trolls. Look up Ricky Ortiz, a dominant street fighter player, consistently ranked as one of the best in the world. He was previously openly gay, but now wants to be called "she"
So far the general reaction has been, "whatever who cares" Most players don't give a poo poo about her gender because she still has an identity as a top player.

Compare that to Zoe Quinn who has nothing of value to offer. Once look past the marginal value of depression quest, she has nothing of value for society except a means of inciting conflict in others.

My real question is, what would happen if Ricky Ortiz decided to enter a women's only tournament. Not that she would to slum it with the women's tournament since she is good enough to win in the mens. It seems like a no win situation for anyone involved. They could bar her from entering and denying the validity of her gender. They could let her stomp all over the other girls. No one could complain without looking like an rear end in a top hat.

How did they handle this with the Starcraft player that was also mtf? Scarlet I think?

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
I'm kinda glad giantbomb has been silent throughout this. No matter who they'd try to support or even just a plea for sanity would summon a poo poo wave.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

VJeff posted:

http://www.igf.com/05sponsors.html

Oh hey does something seem weird about this?

Guess somebody doesn't want big bad 4chan tattling to their sponsors!

Idgi... Are they hiding certain sponsors?

edit: oh. lol

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Simstim posted:

Did you even read what he wrote? Because he goes into detail about games coverage always being corrupt. And Jeff Gerstmann didn't confirm the scandal until years after it happened.

From memory that was because he got a settlement and a gag order on speaking about it was part of the terms -- which had to be waived when he eventually did that GameSpot interview.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

Fauxtool posted:

My real question is, what would happen if Ricky Ortiz decided to enter a women's only tournament. Not that she would to slum it with the women's tournament since she is good enough to win in the mens. It seems like a no win situation for anyone involved. They could bar her from entering and denying the validity of her gender. They could let her stomp all over the other girls. No one could complain without looking like an rear end in a top hat.

How did they handle this with the Starcraft player that was also mtf? Scarlet I think?

there are women's only videogame tournaments? what, is the mouse too heavy to move for some ladies or what

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

BigFatFlyingBloke posted:

From memory that was because he got a settlement and a gag order on speaking about it was part of the terms -- which had to be waived when he eventually did that GameSpot interview.

Yeah, it was something like that. I

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001

coleman francis posted:

I'm kinda glad giantbomb has been silent throughout this. No matter who they'd try to support or even just a plea for sanity would summon a poo poo wave.

Couldn't you say the same thing about RPS? I know they ran that one "LOL F*** EVERYTHING (comments closed btw)" article by Cara Whatever, but otherwise they've kept mum. I say this with a bit of annoyance, really, because I was hoping they'd at least say something on this loving issue, but nope, it's all been about lovely Kickstarters and first impressions. Gamespot's been doing the same thing. Why is being quiet about this a good thing? What that means to me is that they're waiting until this whole loving thing blows over before they start up their bullshit pseudo-feminist "but why did you REALLY not include female characters in the new Assassin's Creed you MISOGYNIST" poo poo again. And they were definitely one of the websites spearheading this "controversial" story.

Also, I thought I saw John Walker being a loving dick to people on his twitter already during this whole thing (which isn't really surprising, it's John Walker we're talking about.) I just don't get why RPS gets a free pass, especially since they encompass so many of the alleged downsides of this whole loving thing (ie. cronyism, regurgitating press releases, encouraging people to donate to Kickstarters, especially ones where site members are involved, finding "misogyny" where there isn't any, etc.)

I say this as someone who occasionally enjoys their more esoteric articles sometimes (which probably means articles not written by John Walker, maybe)

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Fauxtool posted:

Not all gamers are terrible cave trolls. Look up Ricky Ortiz, a dominant street fighter player, consistently ranked as one of the best in the world. He was previously openly gay, but now wants to be called "she"
So far the general reaction has been, "whatever who cares" Most players don't give a poo poo about her gender because she still has an identity as a top player.

Compare that to Zoe Quinn who has nothing of value to offer. Once look past the marginal value of depression quest, she has nothing of value for society except a means of inciting conflict in others.

I always thought Ricky was rather girly looking. No real surprise there. Still one of the best SFers out there thats for sure.

No clue how they would handle it. Didn't some guy become a mtf tennis player and win a bunch of things that way too back in the days?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mulefisk posted:

there are women's only videogame tournaments? what, is the mouse too heavy to move for some ladies or what

Every few years some sjw's get it into their heads that women need their own tournament in the name of equality despite the fact that every other tournament is not gender exclusive. QQ

They usually manage to sucker some sponsors to waste their money on an event with very low attendance and viewer counts. The tournament is usually 1 or 2 serious gamer gurlz that generally play with the men and do okay. The rest of the bracket is full of very mediocre players that think they actually have a chance despite not putting the massive hours required to be actually competent because "it's just other girls"

The end result is the somewhat competent players destroying the non-competition. It's terrible to watch because it's just bad play.

It's not a matter of men being better than women, men are just more willing to throw away their lives cultivating a worthless skill. There are some really good females on twitch too, but their gender is irrelevant since they have little to no sexual identity, just being a "gamer"
They stay home all day playing video games and not showering just like the pros

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Sep 3, 2014

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Fauxtool posted:

Every few years some sjw's get it into their heads that women need their own tournament in the name of equality despite the fact that every other tournament is not gender exclusive. QQ

They usually manage to sucker some sponsors to waste their money on an event with very low attendance and viewer counts. The tournament is usually 1 or 2 serious gamer gurlz that generally play with the men and do okay. The rest of the bracket is full of very mediocre players that think they actually have a chance despite not putting the massive hours required to be actually competent because "it's just other girls"

The end result is the somewhat competent players destroying the non-competition. It's terrible to watch because it's just bad play.

So it was like watching all the Aussies at Shadowloo Showdown? Super free.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Al Borland posted:

So it was like watching all the Aussies at Shadowloo Showdown? Super free.

It's way worse. Watch the evo women's finals with burnyourbra. I'm a middling 2000pp player and I would wreck 9/10 of the players. Getting hit by crossups 3-4 times in one round. No combos beyond 3+ frame links or jumpin attack followed by sweep. She was dominating the majority of the players.

There doesn't need to be a female league, just more women taking the game seriously. It's disrespectful to show up at an international tournament and think play of that level is adequate

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Sep 3, 2014

Shadow Puppet Of
Feb 13, 2014

If I worked there I'd have freaked out long ago and smeared toner all over my naked body, flopping around to spell out "I TOLD YOU SO!" on the carpet until campus security could drag me away.

coleman francis posted:

When your wedding guests are 70% game developers, you don't have much of a soapbox to stand on anymore. All the Gamespot Era cachet Gerstmann had is dead after he did the first QuicklookEX and sat on his hands pretending a PR guy was making valid points about "real compelling innovation!" right into his face.

That and his retirement fund being 25% diversified through promotional video game swag he was sent over the decades.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Fauxtool posted:

I've got to hand it to SF community, they must be a tolerant lot if they never mocked this person.

No, seriously. I am surprised.

WilltheMagicAsian
Dec 11, 2011

Fauxtool posted:

It's way worse. Watch the evo women's finals with burnyourbra. I'm a middling 2000pp player and I would wreck 9/10 of the players. Getting hit by crossups 3-4 times in one round. No combos beyond 3+ frame links or jumpin attack followed by sweep. She was dominating the majority of the players.

There doesn't need to be a female league, just more women taking the game seriously. It's disrespectful to show up at an international tournament and think play of that level is adequate

It's not really disrespectful. Have you been to a major? Most people just go for fun, to hang out with friends you haven't seen and go drinking. They just enter, go 0-2, party.

Shadow Puppet Of
Feb 13, 2014

Mulefisk posted:

If you can figure that out, please help me understand why there are specific leagues and championships for women's darts. The one sport on the planet where there should be no segregation.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WilltheMagicAsian posted:

It's not really disrespectful. Have you been to a major? Most people just go for fun, to hang out with friends you haven't seen and go drinking. They just enter, go 0-2, party.

Evo is a little more than a major. Not taking something seriously when other people do is absolutely disrespectful. Of course every tournament has plenty of filler or junk play, but it's usually not the majority of entrants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WilltheMagicAsian
Dec 11, 2011

Shadow Puppet Of posted:

If you can figure that out, please help me understand why there are specific leagues and championships for women's darts. The one sport on the planet where there should be no segregation.

I think there were studies where they found males have better hand-eye coordination. So that's probably why.

• Locked thread