Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Not pissing me off: after 8 months of paperwork and waiting, DoD secret clearance, plus tsa privileged access came through at the same time

Pissing me off: I'm going to be working 10 hour days for the next 9 to make sure nothing falls apart while I'm on vacation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Are you available for a Webex?
No, I am not.
Why not?
I'm not sure I need a reason to be unavailable at 10:20pm.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I have two people who think they are my line manager right now, one who actually is, and a whole department who think that sending me a calendar invite to go and do some work means that it's confirmed and I'm available to do it, a member of which thinks an acceptable response to "my next available day is x" is to ask "can't you do it sooner?" as though the only thing preventing me from being the most productive person on the planet is an inability to read my own calendar.

Like gently caress am I getting stuck in the middle of that one, fight amongst yourselves and get back to me.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Our analysis storage server is currently reporting "71.0GB of 26.3TB free". Yesterday I heard the words " external drives" as a "temporary" solution. I can't wait until it hits zero, and with the size of the databases FEA creates that could be the very next time one of us hits save. :allears:

*E* Down to 70.2GB in the time it took to post this.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

jammyozzy posted:

Our analysis storage server is currently reporting "71.0GB of 26.3TB free". Yesterday I heard the words " external drives" as a "temporary" solution. I can't wait until it hits zero, and with the size of the databases FEA creates that could be the very next time one of us hits save. :allears:

*E* Down to 70.2GB in the time it took to post this.

It should be down to like what, 65GB now?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

jammyozzy posted:

For some reason the accepted archiving solution here is "move it to an USB drive and put it in the non-fireproof safe in the same server room" instead of leaving it on the mirrored array that's in no risk of filling up anytime soon (especially as we're constantly reducing the amount of servers).. So that if we need to spin up an old VM again, we'd first have to wait a day for it to copy back from the USB drives.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dick Trauma posted:

I don't want to be wearing formal clothing while crawling around under someone's desk looking for a cable. I wore one of my nice custom shirts today and wound up humping dirty boxes around. It's just not appropriate for the work I have to do.

This is the key. Clothing has context, just like everything else. Don't wear a suit if you crawl around under desks, you'll like like an idiot.

There's a continuum of formality/casualness, it's not binary.

Trotski Icepick
Mar 20, 2011
Yesterday I got rid of a huge number of old pieces of poo poo Dells that were replaced over a year ago and were collecting dust.

THE VERY NEXT loving DAY, FOR CHRIST:

:v:: I seem to have lost a project folder and I think the only remaining copy might be on my old workstation.

:eng101:: Your timing is impeccable, we had all those old workstations destroyed. Yesterday.

:v:: But I thought we agreed to hold on to it in case I might be missing stuff !!

:eng101:: That was a year ago, and after not hearing so much of a peep from anyone, we decided to get rid of some junk.

:v:: Can we still get them back?!!?

:eng101:: The drives are being destroyed with extreme prejudice so it´s very unlikely. But I just completed a search on the network and found your files in the project folder, right were they should be.

:v:: uh..oh...ok...thanks

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Inspector_666 posted:

This is the key. Clothing has context, just like everything else. Don't wear a suit if you crawl around under desks, you'll like like an idiot.

There's a continuum of formality/casualness, it's not binary.

About ten years ago I had an I.T. job (for a day) where I was required to wear a suit. My workspace was literally a closet with a shelf in it. Still had a door on it.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Sep 3, 2014

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Dick Trauma posted:

About ten years ago I had an I.T. job (for a day) where I was required to wear a suit. My workspace was literally a closet with a shelf in it. Still had a door on it.

We have to wear dress clothes every day, we don't even have casual Fridays. On top of that we don't have real air conditioning (some offices have a window unit from 1974) and I have to wear long sleeves because our 70 year-old owner flips out over tattoos. He yelled at a girl yesterday for getting a little henna flower on the inside of her wrist at some fair this weekend.

I don't mind 'dressing up' but I miss doing web development where I could just roll out of bed in shorts and a t-shirt and come to work. Some people from our office visited some company a month ago and want to 'be more like them' which would mean allowing jeans with a button-up shirt, that wouldn't be so bad.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

SlayVus posted:

It should be down to like what, 65GB now?

Somebody's deleted some unwanted work so it's back up to 286GB. That's still what, a gnat's cock over 1% remaining?

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

We have to wear dress clothes every day, we don't even have casual Fridays. On top of that we don't have real air conditioning (some offices have a window unit from 1974) and I have to wear long sleeves because our 70 year-old owner flips out over tattoos. He yelled at a girl yesterday for getting a little henna flower on the inside of her wrist at some fair this weekend.

I don't mind 'dressing up' but I miss doing web development where I could just roll out of bed in shorts and a t-shirt and come to work. Some people from our office visited some company a month ago and want to 'be more like them' which would mean allowing jeans with a button-up shirt, that wouldn't be so bad.

Hopefully that owner will die soon.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
:siren:Putting the kibosh back on clotheschat:siren:

If you really want to talk about appropriate work attire there are probably threads for that, but only post in them if you can avoid being lovely and taking everything personally!

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Collateral Damage posted:

For some reason the accepted archiving solution here is "move it to an USB drive and put it in the non-fireproof safe in the same server room" instead of leaving it on the mirrored array that's in no risk of filling up anytime soon (especially as we're constantly reducing the amount of servers).. So that if we need to spin up an old VM again, we'd first have to wait a day for it to copy back from the USB drives.

I assume you mean an external spinning platter drive using USB and not a large flash drive.

NAND decay can mean that data is unavailable after being powered down for as little as 8 months.

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

http://youtu.be/BKorP55Aqvg

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Are computers randomly leaving the domain they're joined to a thing? We have 650 or so POS terminals and apparently at any given time some of them will just decide they're no longer on the domain. Is there a way to avoid it?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

myron cope posted:

Are computers randomly leaving the domain they're joined to a thing? We have 650 or so POS terminals and apparently at any given time some of them will just decide they're no longer on the domain. Is there a way to avoid it?

When I see this stuff happening its usually because someone is cloning machines. Is that happening when you are building new machines?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

That happens to us with a lot of our machines used by remote users who only use the VPN. I have brought it up with people before but just get a shrug.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Sickening posted:

When I see this stuff happening its usually because someone is cloning machines. Is that happening when you are building new machines?

Well when the terminals fail (which is like every day because they're loving terrible) and the hard drives get replaced, it's using the same image. It's not something that we've really ever monitored to notice as it's happening, it's just something that eventually we notice.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

myron cope posted:

Well when the terminals fail (which is like every day because they're loving terrible) and the hard drives get replaced, it's using the same image. It's not something that we've really ever monitored to notice as it's happening, it's just something that eventually we notice.

Is the "image" of a fully cloned windows system? If so, thats probably your issue.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Sickening posted:

Is the "image" of a fully cloned windows system? If so, thats probably your issue.

Yeah, it has a generic name, so it gets renamed and joined to the domain.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

myron cope posted:

Yeah, it has a generic name, so it gets renamed and joined to the domain.

If the clone isn't on the domain you should be okay. The symptom to me though seems like one you would have with a cloned machine on the domain though. When you do that you clone the SID and when you rename the machine the original machine drops from the domain. In any case you should be able to look through the event log of the affected machine to find some clues.

Its also probably time for a DCdiag.exe on your domain controllers that these machines authenticate to.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

My workspace was literally a closet with a shelf in it. Still had a door on it.

Only job I've ever quit was for a school district. They said it was a collaborative environment, I'd have an office, and all of the IT staff were looking forwards to me joining the team.

The staff sucked, were incompetent, and were cold as gently caress. Sysprep? Nope, they imaged PCs and would run through a printed out checklist to configure things by hand. We're talking about a medium sized suburban school district with upwards of 1500 desktops. Collaborative environment? When I suggested such novel things as sysprep, centralized AV management, etc. I was looked at as someone rocking the boat.

The best part? The office was a storage closet with a desk and shelving. No thermal control, and the only way to keep it cool was to leave the door open, which means random people would be sticking their head in all the time curious as to why a closet was open.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

The only way it could've been more demeaning is if it were still in use and people would hand you their coats to hang up. I can see myself making little chits like a coat-check girl. It reminded me of my first real I.T. job where I started each shift in the supply room using handi-wipes to clean used headsets of call center agents who'd been fired.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Our back room is getting cramped with old equipment, including Windows 9x boxes, 15+ year old switches, and Pentium servers.

I found a company located down the street from us that would pick up all of our old gear, destroy the data, and recycle it for a flat fee that's <$100. I emailed my boss with all of the details months ago and movement has been slow to non-existent.

Not sure what's the hold up when all of the legwork has already been done, but maybe this is a sign that I should just load up Quake on one of the machines.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

You're going to hire a company that charges 100 dollars to ensure your data is destroyed properly? Was there any protected data ever on any of those servers or desktops?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Dick Trauma posted:

I started each shift in the supply room using handi-wipes to clean used headsets of call center agents who'd been fired.

Wow, talk about a moral boost in the morning.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Vacation is sadly over. Amazingly none of my systems had a single issue. I did walk back into the nightmare that is our ongoing merger. It's just as bad as I left it.

poo poo that's pissing me off: The BD guy in charge of a half million dollar project tried to rush a 4yr old system through purchasing while the PM and I were OOO on vacation. As he spec'd it, it came with $40k in unnecessary items and missing $32k in software licensing... Even though that evens out, it was still based off 4yr old hardware. Awesome. It thankfully got put on hold due to our vender not being able to find some of the spec'd hardware due to it going EOL.
Not pissing me off: My boss actually agreed with my quick assessment and has allowed me to requote everything using current gen hardware. He even wanted me to work with the actual engineers to make sure it met their needs! (We never do this...) Too bad it's $100k more then the BD quoted. At least I don't have to tell the customer that :).

the spyder fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 3, 2014

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

internet jerk posted:

You're going to hire a company that charges 100 dollars to ensure your data is destroyed properly? Was there any protected data ever on any of those servers or desktops?

We're a manufacturing company, the best part of destroying hard drives is going out to the production floor and using drills, vises, and presses to smash the gently caress out of them.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Bob Morales posted:

Owners who get pissy about tattoo's are awful people. Around 20% of both UK residents and Americans (according to the last statistics I read) have tattoos nowadays, so the stigma should be starting to go along with it, hopefully.

I could understand if you literally had the word "gently caress" written in bold across each cheek or something, but most tattoos are pretty easy to ignore.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Moey posted:

Wow, talk about a morale boost in the morning.

I have had my spirit crushed so many times it's double-jointed.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Management which is out of touch;

Listening to my two colleagues hashing out a day to audit paperwork, and putting forth a very serious E-mail conversation that they are crying out for some proper training rather than having to wing it the entire time, and how things will turn very ugly in the near future if everyone ignores processes and nothing gets done.

In short they got told training is unnecessary but thanks for the thought, I don't think the big wigs quite grasp what entails maintaining ISO9001:2008 certification.

Also me having to justify the pricing for various equipment I order for new staff;
£350 HP base unit powered by i3, 4Gb Ram
£100 22" 1080p Monitor
£150 Licence for Office 2013
£100 Port Replicator
£500~ HP Laptop

Our supplier is very flexible and will price match if I can find anything lower, but poo poo costs money yo, I try to keep costs low and hardware consistent. They already snubbed their nose at MaaS360 for £900+ a year to lock down our mobiles, I can just imagine trying to explain Office 365 to them. If I wanted to go bonkers with money everyone would be running SSD's by now to stop their bitching, maybe some day I should question why the sales team were all originally given consumer grade AiO PC's.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Dick Trauma posted:

I have had my spirit crushed so many times it's double-jointed.
This is brilliant, did you pick this up somewhere or just coin a classic?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I'm a classic coiner.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
That's my jam.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Finally, my boss put his foot down on a new developer hire who wanted to rewrite everything and switch up how we do things around here. I should buy him a beer.

mewse
May 2, 2006

ghostinmyshell posted:

Finally, my boss put his foot down on a new developer hire who wanted to rewrite everything and switch up how we do things around here. I should buy him a beer.

"New guy who wants to rewrite from scratch" is a walking development cliche, right?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Yes, though it's just a cliche in the industry, as much as "new sysadmin wants to redo deployment from scratch" and "why the hell are you using shell scripts when you should be using puppet?" and everything else. People new to an environment almost always find it alien and confusing and want to redo it all in a way that makes sense to them.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

evol262 posted:

Yes, though it's just a cliche in the industry, as much as "new sysadmin wants to redo deployment from scratch" and "why the hell are you using shell scripts when you should be using puppet?" and everything else. People new to an environment almost always find it alien and confusing and want to redo it all in a way that makes sense to them.

I think that was one thing that actually endeared me to a few of my previous employers. The site manager at the Kodak facility I worked at actually smiled and sighed in relief when he asked me if I had some thoughts about the existing environment and I just replied "Nope! It's my task to adapt to the current environment and process."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

"why do you keep saying cloud over and over, guy who just attended a conference"

Yes, our hot garbage ancient things can just be pushed into magical fairy land and it will never have issues. We would be loving lost without this insight every time we discuss any application :thumbsup: