Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

achillesforever6 posted:

I'm sure if we had gotten more seasons we would have gotten that with the ending being the Light being :smug: how everything was going to plan.

Also having been raised on the DCAU Flash I've been disappointed on how much he has been poo poo on because someone in DC has a boner for Barry. Kind of like how we can't have Jon Stewart, no we got to have bland Hal Jordan.

That person's name is Geoff Johns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I don't really care who the Flash is. Barry's return in Final Crisis was awesome as gently caress though.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Timeless Appeal posted:

It's also a shame because a movie about Wally taking up the mantle after Barry dies in the first act would be interesting and not really something we've seen before.

I was kind of hoping if they did a Captain Marvel movie they'd do a bait and switch with Mar-Vell as the apparent lead, only for him to keel over halfway through and now bam Carol is Captain Marvel.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Yvonmukluk posted:

I was kind of hoping if they did a Captain Marvel movie they'd do a bait and switch with Mar-Vell as the apparent lead, only for him to keel over halfway through and now bam Carol is Captain Marvel.

That'd go over about as well as Bryan Cranston in Godzilla.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

computer parts posted:

That'd go over about as well as Bryan Cranston in Godzilla.
Amazingly?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Yvonmukluk posted:

In a vaccumn that would be a good twist, however there is no way to pull that off successfully marketing wise.

1. If you show Carol at all it's pretty obvious what's going to happen.

2. If you obfuscate Carol, and only show Mar-Vell in the promotional material, then you eat so much poo poo from news sources with a tenuous grasp on Marvel's continuity who are writing news articles that you aren't using Carol, because of a fear of a woman lead.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Yvonmukluk posted:

According to the leaked info about Phase 3, Carol is going to be part of the Marvel movieverse, though it's unclear if she's going to get her own movie or just be part of the Avengers ensemble.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Cythereal posted:

According to the leaked info about Phase 3, Carol is going to be part of the Marvel movieverse, though it's unclear if she's going to get her own movie or just be part of the Avengers ensemble.

That's not what they're not sure of. They're not sure if they want to INTRODUCE her as a cameo or by having her own movie. Devin very clearly stated in his rumor post that Marvel is 100% A-OK with a female-lead movie going forward, and they're not sure if they want to lessen that by making her appear in Avengers first.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

I don't really care who the Flash is. Barry's return in Final Crisis was awesome as gently caress though.

Jay, Barry, and Wally ride Red Shifts to outrun Death on skis. Put that poo poo on film and I'll go see it 6 times.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

GonSmithe posted:

That's not what they're not sure of. They're not sure if they want to INTRODUCE her as a cameo or by having her own movie. Devin very clearly stated in his rumor post that Marvel is 100% A-OK with a female-lead movie going forward, and they're not sure if they want to lessen that by making her appear in Avengers first.

I don't see why they can't just give her a cameo as a brave pilot in AOU. That allows them to set her character up in advance while also not yet being a superhero, so they can do the origin story.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Spatula City posted:

I don't see why they can't just give her a cameo as a brave pilot in AOU. That allows them to set her character up in advance while also not yet being a superhero, so they can do the origin story.

They're not doing origin stories anymore. They'll be in the same vein as GoTG from now on (characters already established in their universes). The example they gave is that Dr. Strange will take place with Stephen Strange already being well known as the Sorcerer Supreme.

Tripwyre
Mar 25, 2007

#RXT REVOLUTION~!

:ughh:

future scoopin'...

GonSmithe posted:

They're not doing origin stories anymore. They'll be in the same vein as GoTG from now on (characters already established in their universes). The example they gave is that Dr. Strange will take place with Stephen Strange already being well known as the Sorcerer Supreme.

Like the DC "no jokes" policy, there's no way this is applicable to everyone. Carol's origin is fairly quick and easy to tell (cartoons manage to work it in in less than 20 minutes) but you can't tell her story without Mar-Vell and, you know, proper context. Your example is also wrong. Feige said Strange would already have his powers, yes, but not be the famous Sorcerer Supreme just yet.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Carol is cool because Carol is a cool lady. Her origin has never really mattered that much, and her powers have honestly been a bit secondary to her just being a badass.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
If they make another Ghost Rider movie, they should use Paul Walker as the main character. They've got the "skeleton" and "flaming vehicle" thing in common already!

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Tripwyre posted:

Like the DC "no jokes" policy, there's no way this is applicable to everyone. Carol's origin is fairly quick and easy to tell (cartoons manage to work it in in less than 20 minutes) but you can't tell her story without Mar-Vell and, you know, proper context. Your example is also wrong. Feige said Strange would already have his powers, yes, but not be the famous Sorcerer Supreme just yet.

The movies will probably still have origin stories, but not in the same vein as the Spider-Man, Superman or Batman movies where you see it all unfold at the start of the movie. It could just be in the form of a flashback or meeting a character who can explain the character's origin, like what it sounds like they are doing for GotG (assuming they meet Quill's father later).

I think it's great. It isn't specifically Marvel's fault, but I am suffering from origin story fatigue more than superhero movie fatigue. At least the next Batman incarnation won't have an hour of origin story tied to it.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/4-signs-dc-comics-has-no-clue-how-to-make-superhero-movies/

If I were prone to nerd conspiracy theories I would think that Marvel/Disney is actively paying off for this sort of stupid cheerleading, seeing that DC Movies are not exactly failures critically and commercially.

But knowing the mentality of these people, they would work for their favorite brand for free given a chance.

I loving hate "they" talk and completely omitting the actual directors and writers of the movies. I hope Ant-Man will be the sort of failure that makes even the Merry Marching Marvel Society 2.0 realize that there are people beside Kevin Feige working on these products.

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Sep 3, 2014

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

A sad, sad person that didn't read the thing they linked themselves posted:

http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/4-signs-dc-comics-has-no-clue-how-to-make-superhero-movies/

If I were prone to nerd conspiracy theories I would think that Marvel/Disney is actively paying off for this sort of stupid cheerleading, seeing that DC Movies are not exactly failures critically and commercially.

But knowing the mentality of these people, they would work for their favorite brand for free given a chance.

I loving hate "they" talk and completely omitting the actual directors and writers of the movies. I hope Ant-Man will be the sort of failure that makes even the Merry Marching Marvel Society 2.0 realize that there are people beside Kevin Feige working on these products.

Cracked has posted many articles that take critical examinations of comic book movies, and that includes Marvel films. It's not their fault that DC/WB has significantly more flaws to point out.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I like origin stories.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
The funniest thing about the whole "DC does worse than Marvel" claim is that it isn't really true; it only looks that way because Marvel floods the market with more tentpole films on average. When you count only the large tentpole films, the only misfire in recent memory from DC was Green Lantern. Regardless of what the internet nerd hive mind wants to believe, TDKR and MOS were both really successful films and BVS will probably also be a really successful film.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
For a lot of nerds the greatest movie ever made is whatever sci-fi movie they watched most recently, so this isn't surprising.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Neo Rasa posted:

For a lot of nerds the greatest movie ever made is whatever sci-fi movie they watched most recently, so this isn't surprising.

Pretty much.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

HorseRenoir posted:

the internet nerd hive mind

Just gotta say this term irritates me. (incoming rant not directed at HorseRenoir) There are discussions with large groups at various sites around the internet with strong "consensuses" on both sides (just like people love asking what "the goon consensus" is about games that people have been arguing about for 700 pages) and you'll find plenty here and elsewhere who love MoS and TDKR and will go on about how the Avengers is tripe and Marvel movies have no style and all that.

Here's an article from that same site about how Marvel movies are devoid of creativity and art (from just a couple months ago):
http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/4-reasons-why-all-marvel-movies-are-same/
...and you'd find plenty who agree with this too, it doesn't mean a "hive mind" is forcing people to think DC is better, it's an example of one person who has an opinion. There is no hive mind, there are people agreeing about things and other people agreeing about other things and congregating.

Sorry to rant, I guess it's just like any Apple/Google Sony/Xbox Ford/Chevy debates, but c'mon. The internet hive mind doesn't want to believe anything, just copy/replace that hive mind with "Marvel movie fans" and stop pretending anyone who likes the (presumably) less represented side of an argument is some pariah.

You might as well complain about the internet vogue hive mind making people think comic book fans are nerds. No, it's just a conclusion some number of people arrived at. We're all allowed to like the things we like, and seeing others post differing opinions shouldn't threaten that, but I see the term hive mind used in the same way 16-year-old social studies students discover the term "sheeple".

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

fatherboxx posted:

I loving hate "they" talk.

Oh really?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Jamesman posted:

Cracked has posted many articles that take critical examinations of comic book movies, and that includes Marvel films. It's not their fault that DC/WB has significantly more flaws to point out.

Some of these "flaws" are inane or objectively untrue, though. Man of Steel has a very specific palette, yes, but it's very colorful. It's dark, but not drab. And the bit about how making MoS dour (regardless of whether I think that characterization has merit) has led to it getting its "rear end kicked by a cartoon raccoon" or whatever is especially odd because GotG is going to finish with an almost identical box office haul - it's at 281million domestically and 550ish international, and MoS finished at 291 and 660. Guardians will probably end up at 300-310 and 600-650.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Finally confirmed that The Rock will be Black Adam in an unannounced Shazam movie. http://variety.com/2014/film/news/dwayne-johnson-to-play-black-adam-in-shazam-darren-lemke-to-script-exclusive-1201294338/

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

If this leads to a Shazam/Superman showdown in the future, I'm all for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BJ1-trrgqc

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

So how's the writer? Can we expect something good out of it?

I mean, I'm gonna see it anyways but I want to have some realistic expectations.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
The writer did Jack the Giant Slayer and a bunch of Dreamworks movies, so I'm expecting a script that isn't great but hopefully aiming for the tone a Shazam movie should have.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

HorseRenoir posted:

The writer did Jack the Giant Slayer and a bunch of Dreamworks movies, so I'm expecting a script that isn't great but hopefully aiming for the tone a Shazam movie should have.

Jack the Giant Slayer was such a loving slog. Horrible movie.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Vintersorg posted:

Jack the Giant Slayer was such a loving slog. Horrible movie.

It also had a dozen writers work on it. It was a mess. I don't think anyone can be held accountable for that.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

DeimosRising posted:

Some of these "flaws" are inane or objectively untrue, though. Man of Steel has a very specific palette, yes, but it's very colorful. It's dark, but not drab. And the bit about how making MoS dour (regardless of whether I think that characterization has merit) has led to it getting its "rear end kicked by a cartoon raccoon" or whatever is especially odd because GotG is going to finish with an almost identical box office haul - it's at 281million domestically and 550ish international, and MoS finished at 291 and 660. Guardians will probably end up at 300-310 and 600-650.
I don't go in for the MoS bashing (I think it's merely forgettable at worst), but I think it's fair to say a Superman movie should be able to beat an unknown comic property. Tying it isn't a great feat. rear end kicking might be hyperbole, but not entirely unearned.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

I don't think we can even say whether DC's "creatively bankrupt" or really anything about what they're trying to do until Dawn of Justice comes out. Marvel's deep into its big worldbuilding thing, and WB/DC have only just begun.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
I finally got into Arrow, and I'm really enjoying it. But I still question DC's decision to keep their live action film and television properties in three separate continuities.

MOS was awful, and Dawn of Justice seems really crowded for an introductory film for a lot of those characters.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Spatula City posted:

I don't think we can even say whether DC's "creatively bankrupt" or really anything about what they're trying to do until Dawn of Justice comes out. Marvel's deep into its big worldbuilding thing, and WB/DC have only just begun.

Arrow (and Flash) have shown nothing but great worldbuilding by basically scooping up everything that works best in a serial format, so it's not like it's impossible.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Shazam, because they probably need to make it bright and fun just to avoid market saturation. The recent Johns run was a bit tryhard, among its other flaws, but even that had a sense of fun and optimism underneath.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

HorseRenoir posted:

The funniest thing about the whole "DC does worse than Marvel" claim is that it isn't really true; it only looks that way because Marvel floods the market with more tentpole films on average. When you count only the large tentpole films, the only misfire in recent memory from DC was Green Lantern. Regardless of what the internet nerd hive mind wants to believe, TDKR and MOS were both really successful films and BVS will probably also be a really successful film.

It's like they just released those coke bottles with the names on them, so pepsi is DEAD.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

DrVenkman posted:

It also had a dozen writers work on it. It was a mess. I don't think anyone can be held accountable for that.

I'm not sure if I'd call it terrible, but it was hugely bland and dull, and the giants looked like poo poo. Its biggest crime is wasting your time if you watched it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's like they just released those coke bottles with the names on them, so pepsi is DEAD.

Haha, exactly. It's amazing how the Marvel Zombies/Distinguished Competition stuff translates so naturally to box office horse racing.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Arrow (and Flash) have shown nothing but great worldbuilding by basically scooping up everything that works best in a serial format, so it's not like it's impossible.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Shazam, because they probably need to make it bright and fun just to avoid market saturation. The recent Johns run was a bit tryhard, among its other flaws, but even that had a sense of fun and optimism underneath.

Those properties aren't tied into WB's upcoming DC film universe (assuming that's what they're doing). It's a separate DC Live Action TV Universe, I guess one would say. Which, strangely, will not be related to Gotham at all. :iiam:
Rumor has it they're doing a Supergirl TV series, though, which confuses the issue. Would that tie in with the movies, or Flash/Arrow?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Slugworth posted:

I don't go in for the MoS bashing (I think it's merely forgettable at worst), but I think it's fair to say a Superman movie should be able to beat an unknown comic property. Tying it isn't a great feat. rear end kicking might be hyperbole, but not entirely unearned.

So literally "unless Superman makes $1 billion it's a failure".

Are you a film executive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I like Guardians of the Galaxy, but it's a bit silly to hype its success based on it being a fresh unknown property when it's the tenth movie in a series. Jason went to space in the tenth one too, but it was still the same franchise.

• Locked thread