Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
They should've left the scan out or made it absolute, or at least avoided adding another surprise exception to it and building a second plot twist off that. At least swimming underwater sort of made sense (though I'd still wonder why a veteran like Sinon wasn't clued in), if there's really an invisibility cloak... come on.

Caros posted:

My money is on Kirito using her as bait. It's kinda a dick move, but he has to know how hard this guy would be to find if he wasn't coming out to gloat.

I'll put my money on him just being the hero and saving her at the last second. He genuinely didn't want her following him in the first place out of concern for her safety and he's nothing if not consistent in his intentions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

NOTinuyasha posted:

They should've left the scan out or made it absolute, or at least avoided adding another surprise exception to it and building a second plot twist off that. At least swimming underwater sort of made sense (though I'd still wonder why a veteran like Sinon wasn't clued in), if there's really an invisibility cloak... come on.

I'm pretty sure Death Gun is cheating. The series has been dropping hints about how the company behind GGO is all mysterious, and the whole point of the world seed is that it lets anyone make an MMO, so I wouldn't be surprised if one or more Laughing Coffin survivors is/are involved in the game itself. At the very least I don't think the cloak is something normally available to players, or Sinon would have realized the possibility.

Assuming LC is involved in GGO, it also means they might be using the information from entering in the tournaments to do the real life killing by sending someone to their home, but that has some serious logistical problems if he's going to be shooting Pale Rider and then Sinon only 15 minutes apart. So if that's the case it seems like either a major plot hole or something is still missing.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Kirito kept touching Shinon this last episode. I swear there were about 8-12 touches. That made me more uncomfortable than the blatant fanservice in No Game No Life.

Caros
May 14, 2008

NOTinuyasha posted:

I'll put my money on him just being the hero and saving her at the last second. He genuinely didn't want her following him in the first place out of concern for her safety and he's nothing if not consistent in his intentions.

It's inconsistent to an extent, but if it gets death gun to show his face before he offs another player where Kirito can't stop him? It's possible is what I'm saying.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Thoren posted:

Kirito kept touching Shinon this last episode. I swear there were about 8-12 touches. That made me more uncomfortable than the blatant fanservice in No Game No Life.
If teenagers touching in a non-sesxual way makes you more uncomfortable than a consistently naked 12-year old, I have some news for you :pedo:

Tupper
Sep 1, 2007

Fun will now commence.

NOTinuyasha posted:

I hate how meta I think in situations like this. "Her character is too well designed and she's in most of the OP and ED. Definitely gonna be okay."

GlowingFauxPas
Jul 24, 2002

TraditiOWNED
Just want to point out there is precedent for Kirito using people as bait. He did that with Silica.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

GlowingFauxPas posted:

Just want to point out there is precedent for Kirito using people as bait. He did that with Silica.

But back then he did have being over levelled as gently caress as a trump card. Here, no guarantee that he can save her life if poo poo hits the fan, and we know how much he values not letting teammates die.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Except that if Death Gun is Friend Zone the way many of us think he is, there's no way he'll actually kill Sinon. Therefore, she really is the bait for a trap, but the victim of said trap is Kirito, not Death Gun.

Tupper
Sep 1, 2007

Fun will now commence.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

But back then he did have being over levelled as gently caress as a trump card. Here, no guarantee that he can save her life if poo poo hits the fan, and we know how much he values not letting teammates die.

Actually there really hasn't ever been too much emphasis on level being that important in GGO. Since its the VRMMO where "the best players play" it seems like its almost entirely skill-based. Add in the fact that the account convert feature seems to carry over a ridiculous amount of power from the previous game and typical Kirito being Kirito, he's probably extremely powerful right from the start.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
At the start of this season they made it clear that your stats mattered. Then again it just could be that kid bitching about how it's the game's fault, he's bad.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Zettace posted:

At the start of this season they made it clear that your stats mattered. Then again it just could be that kid bitching about how it's the game's fault, he's bad.

Yeah the first dude we saw get killed for real was bragging about how he tricked every gump in the game to allocate their stats incorrectly.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
But we've already seen how utterly ridiculous a high agility build can be. Pale Rider was zooming all over the drat place. Also, there doesn't seem to be any way to shut down an opponent's mobility advantage since GGO lacks special abilities.

Just what benefits are there to high strength aside from being able to equip heavy stuff? For that matter, what other stats are there? Too bad none of this will likely ever come up.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Serious Frolicking posted:

But we've already seen how utterly ridiculous a high agility build can be. Pale Rider was zooming all over the drat place. Also, there doesn't seem to be any way to shut down an opponent's mobility advantage since GGO lacks special abilities.

Just what benefits are there to high strength aside from being able to equip heavy stuff? For that matter, what other stats are there? Too bad none of this will likely ever come up.

The author's commentary on episode 1 suggests that it's just STR/VIT/AGI... Which makes sense, since The Seed is based off of SAO. STR just enables equips, VIT is toughness, AGI makes you move faster and makes the targeting circle focus faster.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Einander posted:

The author's commentary on episode 1 suggests that it's just STR/VIT/AGI... Which makes sense, since The Seed is based off of SAO. STR just enables equips, VIT is toughness, AGI makes you move faster and makes the targeting circle focus faster.

So again, it seems like only having the minimum str for your desired equipment paired with all the agi you can get would be ideal for pvp. Vit seems like more of a pve thing, given how fast people die in pvp. But really, this is just SAO having games with incredibly dumb systems like usual.

GlowingFauxPas
Jul 24, 2002

TraditiOWNED

Einander posted:

Kirito is a Str build though with agility secondary, so it would make sense it's used for swords.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Einander posted:

Maybe Strength also scales weapon damage? like 10 str does 10 damage but 15 str gets you 16?

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Chillyrabbit posted:

Maybe Strength also scales weapon damage? like 10 str does 10 damage but 15 str gets you 16?
For melee weapons, probably. For guns it probably affects recoil and muzzle climb instead.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Even if it made no sense, I would be fine with str being the damage stat. But that has never even been hinted at. I guess you could go back to the old excuse of vrmmo's being rather new still, so that the actual game systems are all still very poorly developed. That only lasts for so long, though.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Even if it made no sense, I would be fine with str being the damage stat. But that has never even been hinted at. I guess you could go back to the old excuse of vrmmo's being rather new still, so that the actual game systems are all still very poorly developed. That only lasts for so long, though.

You also have to consider that they're all based on the same "Seed" and have built-in character conversion. I doubt they have the freedom to change all that many fundamental attributes. Strength probably directly affects how the players perceive weight, for example.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Clarste posted:

You also have to consider that they're all based on the same "Seed" and have built-in character conversion. I doubt they have the freedom to change all that many fundamental attributes. Strength probably directly affects how the players perceive weight, for example.

The funny part about that is, none of the base SAO stats are mental or social. So, no magic or npc interaction skills that run off of base stats. It is fine for SAO which had very little aside from melee combat, but even ALO, the immediate successor to SAO, was much more complex. Though, ALO certainly had its own share of hilarious design decisions.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

I guess you could go back to the old excuse of vrmmo's being rather new still, so that the actual game systems are all still very poorly developed. That only lasts for so long, though.

Hah MMO still have god awful systems as do regular video game RPG. Bad decision making never goes away.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

The funny part about that is, none of the base SAO stats are mental or social. So, no magic or npc interaction skills that run off of base stats. It is fine for SAO which had very little aside from melee combat, but even ALO, the immediate successor to SAO, was much more complex. Though, ALO certainly had its own share of hilarious design decisions.
The technology behind ALO is one of the themes of the story Caliber, which comes between GGO and Mother's Rosario. If they don't show Caliber (which is possible since they skipped a crucial story arc in the ALO half in the first season, one that would require some re-writes to the first half of Caliber), I'll do a post about it after GGO finishes for anybody curious who doesn't want to read the story.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Nalin posted:

The technology behind ALO is one of the themes of the story Caliber, which comes between GGO and Mother's Rosario. If they don't show Caliber (which is possible since they skipped a crucial story arc in the ALO half in the first season, one that would require some re-writes to the first half of Caliber), I'll do a post about it after GGO finishes for anybody curious who doesn't want to read the story.

Mind summarizing what happened that they skipped in ALO?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Thoren posted:

Mind summarizing what happened that they skipped in ALO?

Hell. I think it was an underground zone called Ragnarok, where they made friends with a damaged super-hellbeast and took it on journeys through hell. Whilst flying around they find Excalibur, but don't go into the dungeon to grab it. That's why Kirito summons Excalibur with his super-admin powers at the end.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

poo poo, I completely forgot about that part! :downs:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Pretty much filler, and I'm not sure why some people care so much. Well, it also leads into some other weird filler sidestory, but I don't think that's particularly important either. The "revelation" is that there's some sort of quest-making bug-fixing AI so they don't have to keep patching the game. Presumably this explains why SAO never encountered a gamebreaking bug on floor 63 (which was never beta tested) that instantly killed the entire population. Considering that Yui exists I don't why this is a spoiler or at all surprising.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
I think we will see the caliber side story, as it does some setup stuff for Mother's Rosario, and contains more Kirito and crew being to bad rear end for game mechanics. Which is really what this show is all about.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Hagop posted:

I think we will see the caliber side story, as it does some setup stuff for Mother's Rosario, and contains more Kirito and crew being to bad rear end for game mechanics. Which is really what this show is all about.

It also has Shion join the party so there is that.

Dervyn
Feb 16, 2014
About stats it recently struck me that the first guy who died was talking on the show about the new meta favouring strength over agility yet the named BoB returnees are strength characters like Sinon and the machine gunner guy. In contrast, Kirito (Deus Ex Machina) and Pale rider, newcomers, are definitely in the agi camp. Then again, the GGO world and its mechanism are not really that fleshed out, at least in the anime.

Regarding Death Gun, if he's cheating he might as well do it wholesale. He's probably not even registered in the BoB and the 3 newcomers' id are red herrings. Question if it's the cloak that's protecting him from detection or the system itself excludes him automatically on the satellite scan.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Would his agility even matter? He had faster reaction times than any other player in SWO.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
I seem to remember that Kirito is a STR/Dex build at like a 3:1 or 2:1 with Agi and Vit trailing far behind. His build would be like 100% poo poo if he was trying to use a gun in GGO.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Azubah posted:

Would his agility even matter? He had faster reaction times than any other player in SWO.

If I recall correctly from the LN, agility governs movement speed and jump distances and the such. He's great at getting his body to move at the right times, but his body doesn't move with the speed as Pale Rider for example. The VR does not augment one's reaction time at all, but it does augment the virtual body and its capabilities. It's partially why Klein was so crap at first in SAO.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
The novels explain it as reaction time being a 'hidden' skill, in that the more time you spend in VR the more responsive your brain grows towards it, so SAO survivors have a massive advantage with that even without porting over their high level skills.

Also I was sad Pale Rider died, I wanted to see more of him jumping around like a loon. That was a great little hope spot when he shot up and had Death Gun dead to rights before suddenly dying.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Shyrka posted:

The novels explain it as reaction time being a 'hidden' skill, in that the more time you spend in VR the more responsive your brain grows towards it, so SAO survivors have a massive advantage with that even without porting over their high level skills.

Also I was sad Pale Rider died, I wanted to see more of him jumping around like a loon. That was a great little hope spot when he shot up and had Death Gun dead to rights before suddenly dying.

Yeah, I really liked that guy. Cool outfit and mask, shotgun, and jumped around like a kung fu master. I'm hoping he logged out in time because his hand came up to bring up the command window.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I just started a rewatch of season one since I kinda forgot who these Laughing Coffin people were. We see Death Gun nearly attack the people during the arc when Kirito and Asuna investigate the town killings. When those two people trick their friend into coming out to the tombstone they get interdicted by some Laughing Coffin members. One of them has that whole skeleton motif going that Death Gun has. Though no name was ever provided I'm pretty certain it was him.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Bremen posted:

I'm pretty sure Death Gun is cheating. The series has been dropping hints about how the company behind GGO is all mysterious, and the whole point of the world seed is that it lets anyone make an MMO, so I wouldn't be surprised if one or more Laughing Coffin survivors is/are involved in the game itself. At the very least I don't think the cloak is something normally available to players, or Sinon would have realized the possibility.

He's grounded by game rules for sure, even the invisibility is a known ability that Sinon is aware of, 'Metamaterial Optic-Distortion Camouflage', which seems a really unfair on a vast playing field where radar is critical, but I'm done judging GGO's lack of balance. I mean, Kirito can loving deflect bullets in mid-air, which isn't really that fair either, especially to players who spent their whole time doing the obvious thing, shooting guns in the gun game, when they can just be plowed over by some rear end in a top hat with a lightsaber.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Okay. So this episode was something. Major episode spoilers: I wasn't expecting what amounted to a proposal from Sinon! What the hell!? And in the most guilt trippy fashion ever too. I mean I totally expected a terrible and awkward confession scene to hate, but this- this is way worse. Then immediately after we have her declare her hatred of Kirito. I get emotional instability, but at some point it stops being a depiction of human frailty and becomes absurdity for the sake of drama.

Marry me sword art online

I hate you sword art online

TLDR: SAO is (even more)terrible and I am a worse person for watching this show (and so are you)

vvv: You've summed the episode up very succinctly.

CrazySalamander fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Sep 6, 2014

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

In this episode:

Kirito stronk
Woman weak
Kirito rational
Woman irrational
Kirito calm
Woman emotional

I felt physically unwell during this episode because it was plainly that bad. This show likes to strip all agency away from its female characters and present Kirito as the solution to all their problems.

Christ.

I mean, the treatment of female characters hasn't bothered me in any media so far. This somehow manages to tick me off. :bravo:

...But, hey, maybe there'll be some lightsaber action next episode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

NOTinuyasha posted:

He's grounded by game rules for sure, even the invisibility is a known ability that Sinon is aware of, 'Metamaterial Optic-Distortion Camouflage', which seems a really unfair on a vast playing field where radar is critical, but I'm done judging GGO's lack of balance. I mean, Kirito can loving deflect bullets in mid-air, which isn't really that fair either, especially to players who spent their whole time doing the obvious thing, shooting guns in the gun game, when they can just be plowed over by some rear end in a top hat with a lightsaber.

Kirito's power isn't that bad though?

That one dude was agile and dodging poo poo like a mad man. Difference between that dude and Kirito is that he puts a sword to block the bullet path while the other dude just dodges it. Also that type of player would push Kirito's face in in a fight, as he's using a shotgun and thus would be able to hang with Kirito close range sword/pistol, and deal with Kirito's mobility.

• Locked thread