Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007

Scuzzywuffit posted:

To be fair, in the end the choices you made in The Witcher 2 don't really matter either. Regardless of who won the civil war, the game still ends with the Nilfgaardians coming to wreck both the winners and the losers.

I actually kind of like that about it. As a single person, you can't stop what's coming, but you can try to make your little corner of the world better before it happens. I think that's true for both games/series, with the main difference being that The Witcher never tried to pretend you were anything else.

It was absolutely bullshit that they had the same cutscene with different colors of explosion, but I don't think it's really fair to say that your choices mattered less in Mass Effect as a series just because the overall story arc leads to a single endpoint. In fact, because of the way they carry over between games, they probably matter more.

Edit: Having two almost entirely separate Act IIs is still ballsy/impressive as hell, though.

The choices you make in Mass Effect don't matter more because no matter what choices you make, you get to pick one of the the same three endings at will. Nothing you do in the entire Mass Effect trilogy has any impact on the end of the game. Who cares if the game remembers that I saved the Rachni Queen if that doesn't change anything at the end of the game?

At best, choices in Mass Effect matter equally with choices in The Witcher 2. Arguably, TW2's choices matter more, since they can cut you off from certain endings.

But I think the important thing to remember is that The Witcher games never promised that you would get to make huge choices that would change everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

etjester posted:

Nothing matters. It's all futile. We're all nothing but specs of flesh going through this obscene dance of death for nothing. Everything is nothing.

OUR QUEST IS VAIN

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
I think you guys are being way too harsh on ME because of the ending. Yes, all the endings are terrible, but there are pretty major content changes in the three games. If Wrex dies in the first one, he's replaced by a totally different character in the second game. If you save Adda in W1, you get 2 lines in W2.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Bort Bortles posted:

OUR QUEST IS VAIN

http://youtu.be/O4JgsWxFY2E?t=3m10s

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

If the Salarian scientist party member dies in Mass Effect 2, he is replaced by a Salarian scientist.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I think the difference for me is that for a lot of choices in Witcher 2 I didn't realise I was making them the first time around. In mass effect it is literally RED OR BLUE.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

COOKIEMONSTER posted:

If you make the wrong decisions in Mass Effect 2 it becomes impossible to save both the Quarians and the Geth in Mass Effect 3.

What. All you need is to pass a Paragon/Renegade check.
Unless you got actually managed to get Tali killed of course :lol:.

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I think you guys are being way too harsh on ME because of the ending. Yes, all the endings are terrible, but there are pretty major content changes in the three games. If Wrex dies in the first one, he's replaced by a totally different character in the second game. If you save Adda in W1, you get 2 lines in W2.

I agree that W1's choices didn't matter enough in W2 but you're wrong if you think we're being harsh just because of ME's ending. The entirety of ME3 is dreary, and let's not forget those loving E-Mails in ME2 either.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

GrossMurpel posted:

What. All you need is to pass a Paragon/Renegade check.
Unless you got actually managed to get Tali killed of course :lol:.

Nope, there's like a whole series of stuff you have to do over the course of the games, and you have to have done a certain number of them, so it's entirely possible to screw yourself out of it. I don't even think it's possible in the first place if you're not playing a carried over ME2 save.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I can't think of any game that's done cross-game choice-and-consequence better than the ME series, and honestly, almost no one even tries it because it's such a loving nightmare.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Wrex being replaced with Wreav is just a cutscene change. When I talk about choices in Witcher being better I'm talking about stuff like At the Crossroads or saving Triss/Anais/Saskia, where the course of the game you play changes. That's what I like. I'm fine with imported choices like Adda just changing dialogue, I personally don't really care about imported choices.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I can't think of any game that's done cross-game choice-and-consequence better than the ME series, and honestly, almost no one even tries it because it's such a loving nightmare.

I think ME gets more flak because instead of being a story about saving a small speck of hope in the face of an unstoppable army, its a story about being the exact dead centre of the universe, the spindle on which whole planets spin, only to poo poo on you for thinking any real choices will carry over.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I stopped playing ME3 after realizing there was a lot I wanted to do differently in ME2 and even some things in ME1. The idea of going back and dealing with all the vendor trash in ME1 was unappealing so I spoiled the ending and saved myself 150 hours. Now that I've read the changes the Extended Cut made I kind of want to give it a chance.

As for W2, having gotten through the entire game with Roche (and not being happy with one of my major choices) and to the start of Act 3 with Iorveth before I really started hating Dark Mode, I'm still looking forward to blowing through it again on Easy so I have something to import into W3.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Aug 28, 2014

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Shumagorath posted:

I stopped playing ME3 after realizing there was a lot I wanted to do differently in ME2 and even some things in ME1. The idea of going back and dealing with all the vendor trash in ME1 was unappealing so I spoiled the ending and saved myself 150 hours. Now that I've read the changes the Extended Cut made I kind of want to give it a chance.

As for W2, having gotten through the entire game with Roche (and not being happy with one of my major choices) and to the start of Act 3 with Iorveth before I really started hating Dark Mode, I'm still looking forward to blowing through it again on Easy so I have something to import into W3.

What's so bad about Dark Mode? I played through the prolog and killing Iorveth's troops who ambush you in the beginning of Chapter 1 on Dark Mode while encumbered was hilarious.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Problem with Dark Mode:
WHOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooSHHSSHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA GRUUUUuuuuuuuuuaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh SHIssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssSHSHSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

every time you fight anything for two seconds.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
You could just play Dark mode as Hard+ and ignore those annoying dark swords.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.
I'm pretty sure the vanilla swords are literally better than the dark mode ones in act 2 and 3 anyways.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

COOKIEMONSTER posted:

I'm pretty sure the vanilla swords are literally better than the dark mode ones in act 2 and 3 anyways.

Dunno about Act 2 but the Act 3 regular swords are definitely better, taking effects into account. We discussed this a bit back when I asked what I should craft in Dark Mode.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

That's really depressing, on both counts.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
Dark mode woes - that first encounter in the late Chapter 2 quest Eternal Battle is ridiculous. I hadn't actually died until then, and I'm now on my 7th attempt.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
In an era of $100m game budgets, Witcher 2 is the only game I've ever seen where the player won't see between a quarter and a third of the content without playing it multiple times. Anywhere with a major publisher holding the purse strings would probably pull out stats about how many gamers even finish games once and demand there be less content with more money behind it.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Scandalous posted:

Dark mode woes - that first encounter in the late Chapter 2 quest Eternal Battle is ridiculous. I hadn't actually died until then, and I'm now on my 7th attempt.

I got pretty frustrated at this even in my Hard playthrough, especially since I was going for the mage tree and pretty much had no idea how to not die without rolling and spamming igni.
Do you keep your swordmanship abilities like Riposte at least?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

GrossMurpel posted:

I got pretty frustrated at this even in my Hard playthrough, especially since I was going for the mage tree and pretty much had no idea how to not die without rolling and spamming igni.

Riposte, yes, but I dunno about anything else. It's pretty janky.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

GrossMurpel posted:

You do, and I will always, always grab riposte just for that.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

GrossMurpel posted:

You keep Riposte, and I assume talent points into things like bonus sword damage and incoming damage reduction too, but god drat that fight on Dark Mode. Your NPC buddies either charge forward and die in literally one hit, or stand around in the fire, leaving you with four enemies to face. I got there eventually, but for a good while I was being pounded on with no respite. Parry one blow, and you're struck by another enemy before the recover animation even finishes, leaving you locked in place. I was also knocked back into the fire once, and got locked into the 'ouch' animation til I died.

Bitching aside, TW2 has belatedly become one of my all-time favourite RPGs and I cannot freakin wait for Wild Hunt

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Shumagorath posted:

In an era of $100m game budgets, Witcher 2 is the only game I've ever seen where the player won't see between a quarter and a third of the content without playing it multiple times. Anywhere with a major publisher holding the purse strings would probably pull out stats about how many gamers even finish games once and demand there be less content with more money behind it.

Alpha Protocol?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Scandalous posted:

You keep Riposte, and I assume talent points into things like bonus sword damage and incoming damage reduction too, but god drat that fight on Dark Mode. Your NPC buddies either charge forward and die in literally one hit, or stand around in the fire, leaving you with four enemies to face. I got there eventually, but for a good while I was being pounded on with no respite. Parry one blow, and you're struck by another enemy before the recover animation even finishes, leaving you locked in place. I was also knocked back into the fire once, and got locked into the 'ouch' animation til I died.

Bitching aside, TW2 has belatedly become one of my all-time favourite RPGs and I cannot freakin wait for Wild Hunt

Yeah that's exactly what happened to me on Hard. I remember a part where either you ahd no backup to begin with or all my guys already died and I had to sloooooooooooooooowly walk for like a minute to the enemies in the distance.
I think I ended up pulling them one by one and regenerating HP between fights so they wouldn't pile on me.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Lord Lambeth posted:

Alpha Protocol?
I keep hearing about this game and people either love it or hate it. Do I have to do backflips installing mods to make the combat workable or is it something you can just install and play?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
You'll probably have to do a few .ini edits to get rid of the horrible mouse acceleration "smooth framerate" and streaming. It's also poorly optimized and runs like rear end even on better computers (what were "better computers" at the time, anyway). The mouse is a little finicky even after the .ini edits. PCGamingWiki should tell you all you need to know.

If you can get past that and ignore the main character's annoying voice then it's pretty okay.

PureRok fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Sep 3, 2014

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Shumagorath posted:

I keep hearing about this game and people either love it or hate it. Do I have to do backflips installing mods to make the combat workable or is it something you can just install and play?

I personally never had a problem with the mouse so you'll just have to try I guess. The combat is pretty normal "glued to cover" combat with your skill level deciding how good you are at shooting a weapon.

Super duper protip: go with pistols.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

PureRok posted:

If you can get past that and ignore the main character's annoying voice then it's pretty okay.
Get around this by always choosing the Suave conversation options. The actor may have his flaws but he does sleazeball perfectly.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Shumagorath posted:

Nah, all you really need is a controller. And spec in stealth/pistols, it's basically easy mode.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Lord Lambeth posted:

Nah, all you really need is a controller. And spec in stealth/pistols, it's basically easy mode.

Why would you play a game that has a freely movable camera with a controller? Especially if you're trying to aim at heads.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

GrossMurpel posted:

Why would you play a game that has a freely movable camera with a controller? Especially if you're trying to aim at heads.

Because the hacking minigame has weird mouse lag. I really only play FPS games with kb+m these days.

Also watch this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf3q_hVEnIA

Lord Lambeth fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 3, 2014

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Scandalous posted:

The guy that did the FCR mod finally threw up his hands and gave up on fixing that encounter, so throughout the whole Eternal Battle segment when you're possessed by a wraith you get absurd health regeneration and have to try really hard to be killed, even on Dark.

But yeah that segment is why I take the talents that upgrade parry and riposte on every character, no matter the build. The Eternal Battle is simultaneously one of the coolest and one of the worst segments of any big-budget RPG.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
New player here, having finally gotten around to this game in my extensive Steam backlog. Still in the prologue and definitely intrigued.

I have a question about DLC: is there any harm in turning off a package off and then re-enabling sometime later? I'm considering turning off the Blue Stripes jacket, Mage pants, and Herbalist gloves as I'm not a fan of DLC items that seem to unbalance the gameplay, but don't want to turn it off and then not be able to re-enable sometime later without loving up my savegames (see:Skyrim)

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Anti-Hero posted:

New player here, having finally gotten around to this game in my extensive Steam backlog. Still in the prologue and definitely intrigued.

I have a question about DLC: is there any harm in turning off a package off and then re-enabling sometime later? I'm considering turning off the Blue Stripes jacket, Mage pants, and Herbalist gloves as I'm not a fan of DLC items that seem to unbalance the gameplay, but don't want to turn it off and then not be able to re-enable sometime later without loving up my savegames (see:Skyrim)

The Blue Stripes Jacket becomes obsolete not far into Act 1, so if you're gonna turn that off that you might as well keep it off. I remember keeping the gloves until sometime in Act 2 and the pants until sometime in Act 3. But I never really missed them after I started turning off the DLC equipment.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Thanks. From what I can gather the DLC items are:

Blue Stripes Combat Jacket
Herbalist Gloves
Mage trousers

What about the Swordsman's outfit? Any others I'm missing?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

The "Outfits" just start you off with a lot of extra consumables, they're not armor.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Sounds good, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I always thought the blue stripes jacket looked really silly. Why would I want to hide Geralt's luxurious mane of hair?

• Locked thread