Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer
try about :flags and click the reset all to default's. then while it's closed run the cleartype tuner then open chrome and toggle the directwrite on/off

Also OS X or Windows ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Pivit posted:

You can't.. yet. Here is a statement from a google employee just 21 hours ago.

Still can't remove it.

Back to FF!

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Everything looks way too big on my screen, even after running the Cleartype tuner, changing the font to Segue UI (which helped a lot with readability) and toggling the DirectWrite option on/off a few times.

This sucks.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

EC posted:

Everything looks way too big on my screen, even after running the Cleartype tuner, changing the font to Segue UI (which helped a lot with readability) and toggling the DirectWrite option on/off a few times.

This sucks.

Have you tried the command line option I provided? It should fix the big fonts, but they'll still look like garbage.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Slanderer posted:

Have you tried the command line option I provided? It should fix the big fonts, but they'll still look like garbage.

Slightly better, but now it looks too small. Thanks, though.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

EC posted:

Slightly better, but now it looks too small. Thanks, though.

Whoops, forgot to mention to zoom to 110%. It's more or less the same size as before.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Slanderer posted:

Whoops, forgot to mention to zoom to 110%. It's more or less the same size as before.

Yeah, I just figured that out. Thanks for the help, glad it's back to normal now.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

This is kind of off on a tangent, but which font version of Helvetica is most similar to the Helvetica OS X uses?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Chrome just updated the stable channel to 37.0.2062.102 and Times New Roman is looking good for me again

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

I just restarted Chrome for the first time in a week or so and the UI up by the tabs seems to have blown up to ~150% of what it was before, how can I revert that?

all the ui looks blurry as poo poo now too.

Version 37.0.2062.102 m

e2:

Slanderer posted:

However, running chrome with /high-dpi-support=1 /force-device-scale-factor=1 seems to help

This worked.

baram. fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 29, 2014

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Did I just get lucky then? I have Chrome stable v 37 and all the text seems fine.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
Chiming in to say that my UI looks loving massive and absolutely poo poo since the new update.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
running chrome with the above command lines then changing the fonts and disabling direct write finally made chrome look normal again. Thanks thread

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Cyra posted:

running chrome with the above command lines then changing the fonts and disabling direct write finally made chrome look normal again. Thanks thread

This worked. Thanks!

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

crestfallen posted:

Did I just get lucky then? I have Chrome stable v 37 and all the text seems fine.

Nope mine is fine as well, I had one site that came out funky but everything else is great.

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013
Is it just me or does v37 allow 3rd party extensions again? I have YT Center developer version installed and it works unless I am missing something. No lovely popus or anything.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

crestfallen posted:

Mine is fine too, I'm not sure what's going on with everyone else's though. Is everyone setting their monitors to weird DPI settings or something?

Well, the font for replying on SA's forums is all bolded and whatnot but I actually like it because my eyes loving suck apparently.

:shrug:

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Any way to make HTML5 videos click to play? Bunch of news sites are bypassing Chrome's plugin filter with that.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

I say that fixed it but.. when I go to about chrome I noticed I'm now back on Version 37.0.2062.94 m and it says ready to update, relaunch chrome. and when I do that it pops backs up and is still the same version so who knows..

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

So how many people here switch profiles regularly enough to need a massive DEFAULT PROFILE button on the tab bar, if at all? I'm very glad this is here!

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

It reminds me of my name on early mornings

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Edit: Nevermind, Chrome wasn't closing itself properly when I tried to disable DirectWrite

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 1, 2014

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Just in case anyone else had a :downs: moment like me.

To disable DirectWrite you have to enable the option that says "Disable DirectWrite". The wording made me think that mine was already disabled so I couldn't figure out why the problem persisted.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

To disable DirectWrite you have to enable the option that says "Disable DirectWrite". The wording made me think that mine was already disabled so I couldn't figure out why the problem persisted.

It's definitely worded in a head-scratchingly obtuse way.

Resonance
Dec 17, 2002

Don't give me any shit about plumbers, Jan.

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

hah, yeah that threw me too. Pretty weird update. The fonts do look pretty dreadful with it enabled (another Win 7 here).

Haeleus
Jun 30, 2009

He made one fatal slip when he tried to match the ranger with the big iron on his hip.
How can I have Chrome show the filesize before actually starting a download, a la Firefox?

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Haeleus posted:

How can I have Chrome show the filesize before actually starting a download, a la Firefox?

I've never noticed this since I have a default folder set but does it happen all the time or does it display the file size once in a while?

Haeleus
Jun 30, 2009

He made one fatal slip when he tried to match the ranger with the big iron on his hip.

xilni posted:

I've never noticed this since I have a default folder set but does it happen all the time or does it display the file size once in a while?

Everytime, it only pops a window asking where to save.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Chrome stable updated a few hours ago with a new version that fixes the rendering problems (for me at least)

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

EugeneJ posted:

Chrome stable updated a few hours ago with a new version that fixes the rendering problems (for me at least)

My fonts are looking really weird on Chrome as a result;

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

ConanThe3rd posted:

My fonts are looking really weird on Chrome as a result;

They look perfectly normal to me? Tweak them with the cleartype wizard if you like, and maybe set your Default font to Segoe UI light - I find it looks the best.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Sep 3, 2014

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

The Lord Bude posted:

They look perfectly normal to me? Tweak them with the cleartype wizard if you like, and maybe set your Default font to Segoe UI light - I find it looks the best.

I have to agree, I can't find anything wrong with the way for fonts are being displayed. Are you sure they weren't messed up before and perhaps you're not used to the "correct" display?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

So all of a sudden my chrome is taking longer to load new tabs. I tried disabling my extensions one at a time and all, ran a virus scan and mbam scan cause why not, nothing from either. Though the thing is that it seems to be pretty fine for a bit, then out of the blue new tabs and going to different sites starts to drag. Any idea if it's just these newest rounds of updates or what?

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Yardbomb posted:

So all of a sudden my chrome is taking longer to load new tabs. I tried disabling my extensions one at a time and all, ran a virus scan and mbam scan cause why not, nothing from either. Though the thing is that it seems to be pretty fine for a bit, then out of the blue new tabs and going to different sites starts to drag. Any idea if it's just these newest rounds of updates or what?

Well, you could always right-click on the tab bar and load Chrome's task manager to see if one of your tabs has gone haywire - it's happened to me before.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Blue Moonlight posted:

Well, you could always right-click on the tab bar and load Chrome's task manager to see if one of your tabs has gone haywire - it's happened to me before.

Didn't see anything different from normal. That and I'm also getting that stupid font issue on the CP that some other people have been talking about, so I'm just gonna assume chrome assed something up with this newest update I got.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON
I've got a problem with most visited thumbnails not showing up every time, requiring me to sometimes refresh new tab page to get them to show up. Does anyone know what might cause that?

vacuity
Sep 9, 2005
There used to be a feature you could enable in chrome:flags that let you right click on a tab and choose "Select by domain" which would select all of the open tabs on that domain then let you rearrange them as a group. It was very handy, and removed around version 34. Anyone know of an extension or other way to get that functionality back?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!
Anyone know how to let Youtube Center play two videos at once? I feel like I'm missing something super obvious somewhere :downs:

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Cog in the upper right of YouTube page -> bottom of General->General (which is the default tab), uncheck "Only one player instance playing".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!
Yup, obvious :downs: Thanks.