Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Time_pants posted:

Would it be worth it to infuse a Blacksteel Katana with Fire even if I keep my base Bandit casting stats just for buffing up with Fire Weapon?

No, it's the absolute worst katana for infusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Of course it takes more than a month to make something like this.

The game was first released March 11th, and they probably had the game truly finished weeks before that, at late February. The first DLC was July 22, which is around four months after the game was done.

Don't run it off of the PC version's release, they easily could have been working on finishing the PC version and the DLC concurrently.

I'm not, it was released a month after Sunken Crown. There are three pieces of DLC, obviously some work was done before the game was out on console.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'm not, it was released a month after Sunken Crown. There are three pieces of DLC, obviously some work was done before the game was out on console.

I'm pretty sure they're just making all of the DLC concurrently, at the same time, with priority on the one coming out.

As in, at any given point, they were working on Crown of the Sunken King, Crown of the Old Iron King, and Crown of the Ivory King at the same time.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Cathair posted:

So... it does have a hitbox range much longer than its actual model, then? Or is this just a subjective opinion that you don't feel like explaining? I mean, I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything but when I bring up specific dislikes and someone just vaguely says 'no it's actually wonderful', that doesn't exactly convince me to give it another go.

Edit: I don't think the Drangleic sword works as a starter weapon because you'll basically have to make a beeline for the stat requirements if you want to be able to use it anytime close to when you acquire it. So, actual newbies are not going to be able to use it during the period when its damage would be useful, while players who already have the game well in hand will also know where to get upgrade materials, so that they can boost weapons with better innate characteristics to comparable levels of damage. Like the mace, for example.

Unless, as I said, the Drangleic sword moveset has advantageous qualities that I'm not aware of?

I was mostly just talking about the guy who called the Drangleic set a noob trap. Though it's moveset is pretty good, with a mix of horizontal, vertical, and stabbing. And the damage is useful until you get to NG+; it starts off fantastic and ends great, as opposed to something like the Drake sword which starts off good and ends poo poo.

Not sure why you'd call it short though, it's the same size as the bastard sword, and it's swings do pretty good group control. I mean it's not the BKGS, but that's a unique weapon.

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Sep 3, 2014

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Control Volume posted:

No, it's the absolute worst katana for infusing.

No poo poo? Well punch my nuts. So much for trusting that wiki.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Drangleic sword was really good at ruining new players and would-be belltouchers' days while in Belfry Luna.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Mighty Dicktron posted:

I'm pretty sure they're just making all of the DLC concurrently, at the same time, with priority on the one coming out.

As in, at any given point, they were working on Crown of the Sunken King, Crown of the Old Iron King, and Crown of the Ivory King at the same time.

Obviously this is the case. And obviously that is a lot of stuff to do in that timeframe.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Time_pants posted:

No poo poo? Well punch my nuts. So much for trusting that wiki.

If you're referring to the S scaling, it actually does show that in-game if you infuse it, but it's closer to B scaling because FROM.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Drangleic set is absolutely a noob trap in the sense that if you are looking to summon phantoms to help with a boss you know to never summon a dude in Drangleic armor because they are obviously a scrublord.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Indicators of good summons:
People that 2hand fuckoff weapons.
People with fashionsouls
Obviously over the top names
Naked/barechested men with mustaches.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The Drangelic Sword is meh considering you have access to the Bastard and Claymore much sooner and they have about the same movesets and advantages except with much earlier stat requirements/upgrade off Titanite.

The armor however is ridiculously efficient until you get the Vengral set. Until you realize armor is poo poo tier compared to DS1 when you can basically walk into things to beat the game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zedd posted:

Indicators of good summons:
People that 2hand fuckoff weapons.
People with fashionsouls
Obviously over the top names
Naked/barechested men with mustaches.

I wonder if naming my alt "Scrublord Io" just to slightly annoy people who die to me in pvp has made it more or less likely for him to be summoned.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Pwnstar posted:

Drangleic set is absolutely a noob trap in the sense that if you are looking to summon phantoms to help with a boss you know to never summon a dude in Drangleic armor because they are obviously a scrublord.

Hey, it's not my fault there's a shortage of red capes!

And red in general.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Drangleic set looks pretty good though. The game needs more capes.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
And a lot of the capes that are there still don't have physics. Fuckin' Syan armor.

AbrahamSlam
Jun 12, 2013

Mess with the bull, you get the WANG!

Pwnstar posted:

I cannot explain how many times I have summoned someone wearing the Drangleic set, just to have them charge in and die instantly.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

gonna make a character called michael97 that has almost the full drangleic set and the fire longsword, then pvp with it

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Ugh less than a month after I buy the game for me and my pal the price goes down :smith:

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Flytrap posted:

I was mostly just talking about the guy who called the Drangleic set a noob trap. Though it's moveset is pretty good, with a mix of horizontal, vertical, and stabbing. And the damage is useful until you get to NG+; it starts off fantastic and ends great, as opposed to something like the Drake sword which starts off good and ends poo poo.

Not sure why you'd call it short though, it's the same size as the bastard sword, and it's swings do pretty good group control. I mean it's not the BKGS, but that's a unique weapon.

Fair enough. I actually never noticed that it's the same length as the bastard sword, partly because the bastard sword is proportionally thinner and therefore seems longer, partly because both are actually pretty short compared to the greatswords I use the most, such as the claymore or the Mirrah greatsword.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Drangleic set looks pretty good though. The game needs more capes.

I find that I like the physic'd mantles and partial capes much better than the full cloaks that conceal your whole character from behind. The Falconer and Alva armors are great for this reason, and so is the new Raime set.

The Faraam armor has a pretty good buttcape on it, too. I can't stand to wear that set without a retex though, it looks so tacky compared to the early artwork.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
re: DLC and cut content

There's always some cut content, no way are the devs going to be able to implement all the ideas they have for the game. But I don't they cut anything from the base game in the sense of deliberately witholding some piece of the finished game just to make a quick buck later. Both Dark Souls have so many loose ends it's kinda of pointless to try and spot where something's missing, unless it's already half-finished in the game files (NPC being held prisoners at some point comes to mind).

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The drangleic set looks pretty cool I think. It makes me feel like Aragorn :hist101:

I also think the penal mask goes well with it believe it or not.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Tae posted:

The Drangelic Sword is meh considering you have access to the Bastard and Claymore much sooner and they have about the same movesets and advantages except with much earlier stat requirements/upgrade off Titanite.

The armor however is ridiculously efficient until you get the Vengral set. Until you realize armor is poo poo tier compared to DS1 when you can basically walk into things to beat the game.

Fairly sure you can't get the Claymore until you reach Vengarl, but the longsword and mace are available so early and are so incredibly OP that it shouldn't matter for the majority of people playing through the PVE game.

I love the Fume Sword and it would be the best weapon in the game for me if it had the longsword moveset instead of the sun sword.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The best caped armour is the Throne Defender's since it not only has a cape, but also two vestment-like cloths hanging from the front. Fashion Souls!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Bigass Moth posted:

Fairly sure you can't get the Claymore until you reach Vengarl, but the longsword and mace are available so early and are so incredibly OP that it shouldn't matter for the majority of people playing through the PVE game.

I love the Fume Sword and it would be the best weapon in the game for me if it had the longsword moveset instead of the sun sword.

I meant access to the Claymore as in the average player will probably still be way behind in actually using the Drangelic sword one-handed because of its super high requirements unless they completely beeline to it.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Hakkesshu posted:

The best caped armour is the Throne Defender's since it not only has a cape, but also two vestment-like cloths hanging from the front. Fashion Souls!

And it has one of the highest defenses in the game to boot. Well at least the chest has.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

I'm looking for some sweet looking medium armor for my new cleric. I've already used the Lllewellyn and Archdrake armor a bunch on various characters, though, and I was hoping to find something a bit more ragged looking anyway, bit more 'wandering pilgrim' without just being straight up cloth armor. Doing a melee faith build so I'd like some poise at least.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

SpruceZeus posted:

I'm looking for some sweet looking medium armor for my new cleric. I've already used the Lllewellyn and Archdrake armor a bunch on various characters, though, and I was hoping to find something a bit more ragged looking anyway, bit more 'wandering pilgrim' without just being straight up cloth armor. Doing a melee faith build so I'd like some poise at least.

Requires some ascetics, but Heide Knight?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I've been finding that I have the best luck when my character has a name like an NPC summon in this game, with adjective Name. Cordial Sergei gets summoned pretty often!

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

Don't forget the fur on the shoulders. I love stuff like that.

That said, the Watcher/Defender stuff all looks very unfinished to me. It doesn't really have the attention to detail in the individual parts that other armors have, makes it look like a costume made of injection-molded plastic. It probably is unfinished, given the almost total lack of lore explaining those bosses.

You know what else DS2 is missing? Cool medium shields that aren't round. Half the interesting-looking ones aren't really usable due to poor stats, like the Silverblack shield.

I want my Balder shield back. :(

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The drangleic shield looks pretty cool, and it's even got 100 physical resist.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Oh baby is it time for Fashion Souls?

The King's Armor is really baller and matches with loving everything. It's baffling.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

Requires some ascetics, but Heide Knight?

One of my other characters has the Exile Holding Cells bonfire at intensity 30. She did not get the chainmail. Plenty of those loving gauntlets though!

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Control Volume posted:

gonna make a character called michael97 that has almost the full drangleic set and the fire longsword, then pvp with it

I don't understand this reference.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

SpruceZeus posted:

One of my other characters has the Exile Holding Cells bonfire at intensity 30. She did not get the chainmail. Plenty of those loving gauntlets though!

Maybe Creighton's set, then? At least the chest piece definitely has that worn, ragged chainmail look.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Speaking of fashion souls, I've noticed that some pieces of armor for the chest block the ponytail and some don't.

I think it looks pretty good, actually.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hakkesshu posted:

Maybe Creighton's set, then? At least the chest piece definitely has that worn, ragged chainmail look.

Creighton's set is cool but none of it goes with anything else.

quote:

Speaking of fashion souls, I've noticed that some pieces of armor for the chest block the ponytail and some don't.

Certain gauntlets and chestplates will add or remove bits and pieces of armor from the elbows.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Thumbtacks posted:

I don't understand this reference.

you clearly haven't done much pvp then

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Control Volume posted:

you clearly haven't done much pvp then

How much online presence is there at this point? I am assuming DS1 is pretty dead online so I haven't picked it up. I'm waiting for a sale on this one and I hope by the time I pick it up there will still be people to pvp.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

Cathair posted:

You know what else DS2 is missing? Cool medium shields that aren't round. Half the interesting-looking ones aren't really usable due to poor stats, like the Silverblack shield.

I think you're overvaluing 100% phys block. Silverblack has pretty solid resists all around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Nevvy Z posted:

How much online presence is there at this point? I am assuming DS1 is pretty dead online so I haven't picked it up. I'm waiting for a sale on this one and I hope by the time I pick it up there will still be people to pvp.

People still play demons souls online