Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!

StrangeAeon posted:

Anyone settled on Ocean biomes this version? I'm suddenly very curious about sea creatures in the Dorf world.

I did back in 40.08 but abandoned it after a few years cause I didn't see a single sea creature, just raven and albatrosses and otters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Shuffle posted:

I did back in 40.08 but abandoned it after a few years cause I didn't see a single sea creature, just raven and albatrosses and otters

Yeah for some reason no animals show up at my fortress either. There were 3 hoary marmots, 3 ravens, and a falcon when I embarked. I killed the marmots and the falcon disappeared on its own and I haven't seen a single animal besides the ravens since. Not even fish in the brook.

In fact I didn't even see any enemies for the first year until I finally got a small siege.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Note to self: all the archers in the world cannot defend against a surprise weremammoth.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

StrangeAeon posted:

Note to self: all the archers in the world cannot defend against a surprise weremammoth.

By Armok, we must harness this power to destroy our goblin enemies! Urist, get out there and kiss that mammoth!

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

So I abandoned the were-lizard site to ruin and came back with a new crew of swordsmen a few weeks later.

The entire surface of the map is a rotting battlefield strewn with skeletons of troglodytes and various cave animal people. :wtc:

One cave swallow man kicked enough troglodyte rear end with his blowgun to earn his own name, too. His weapon remains as proof. I need to see what Legends has to say about the past two weeks.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

StrangeAeon posted:

Weremammoth? Legitimately cool.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

I settled near the sea in this version but so far just your normal goblin ambushes and the occasional Troll/GCS/Giant Earthwork from the caverns. No wereporpoises.

Depicted in this picture is my quantum body chute. Bits of people are stored in the refuse pile as normal, to terrify the kobolds away (note the kobold skeletons artfully propped up near the door. This totally works btw.)

However, any corpses placed in the refuse pile will be catapulted down a 40 foot drop to my butcher's shop. So far no sieging enemy has tried to get in through the butcher's chimney.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010
Devlog!

quote:

Here are some more things:

Made chained animal checks respect z coordinate properly
Made dwarf children not seek their mothers when idle, especially in violation of area restrictions
Stopped brief necro master-apprentice relationships from forming in towns
Stopped other necro tower townish behavior like fake grazing disputes
Made flying adventurer able to fly over ramps without using them
Made strength/agility/tissue layer effects work for gaits (Quietust)
Fixed other issues causing dwarves to be able to prefer the wrong (generated) materials
Adjusted firing rate for projectiles again to make them more like the older versions
Discounted rust when listing relevant skill for squad candidate
Made adamantine clothing available in arena

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
toady does not eat doritos i will loving DESTROY you

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I just spent 6 hours playing DF and realized it was suddenly day time. Got my most advanced fort ever so far. I went down to the magma sea and set up a bunch of magma buildings but the problem is my dwarves aren't great about getting the ore and stuff down there. Is there a better way to get them to haul it? I am sitting on like 130 dwarves at this point and have like 15 or 20 dedicated to just hauling so I thought they would do a better job.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

cheesetriangles posted:

I just spent 6 hours playing DF and realized it was suddenly day time. Got my most advanced fort ever so far. I went down to the magma sea and set up a bunch of magma buildings but the problem is my dwarves aren't great about getting the ore and stuff down there. Is there a better way to get them to haul it? I am sitting on like 130 dwarves at this point and have like 15 or 20 dedicated to just hauling so I thought they would do a better job.

Dig a shaft straight down, set up a stockpile next to it and minecarts that dump into the shaft. Make sure no one is standing directly below the shaft.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Spanish Matlock posted:

Dig a shaft straight down, set up a stockpile next to it and minecarts that dump into the shaft. Make sure no one is standing directly below the shaft.

This is good advice, but in my experience ten to twenty percent of the fort is haulers and that's just a fact of life.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Wheelbarrows help a lot when it comes to hauling stone or ore.

If you just want to move a crapload of stuff from point A to point B, perhaps consider minecarts? You don't need to get super fancy with rollers and stuff, even just having a dwarf manually guiding it up and down tends to be faster than carrying each individual whatever back and forth.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

Necromancer towers having grazing disputes sounds fantastic. I wish we could see that behaviour.

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
I'm experiencing a bit of a weird bug here! If I have the view focused on the surface, and if I am in a mode that lets me move a cursor around on the screen (look, building properties/tasks, item properties, construction etc.) the z-level flips to the one below by itself! It doesn't seem to do this on any other z-level than on the surface, so I have no idea what the gently caress. It's making it basically impossible to do anything on the surface.

I didn't have this problem on an earlier fort, but as soon as I started work on the current one, this started happening. I've tried restarting the game, retiring and abandoning the fort, and rebooted the computer.

Have you guys had this happen to you before? I'm using the newest version of the DF starter pack (but with no fancy utilities, only dwarf therapist) if it helps pin anything down.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Are you using multilevel? If so, does disabling it help?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I had a dwarven child get bitten by a werepanda. I am not sure what to do. I need to kill them right. My military is very trained with multiple squads with grand master level people so they killed it easily but the child was outside when it came. I'm not sure what to do.

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails

Subjunctive posted:

Are you using multilevel? If so, does disabling it help?

I'll try disabling it, since I think it's on. Only problem is, I don't know how to turn it off! :ohdear:

E: I reclaimed an earlier fortress and the problem wasn't there at all, so then I unretired the fortress where this stuff was happening and the problem went away. It is terrifying.

murphyslaw fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Sep 3, 2014

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

cheesetriangles posted:

I had a dwarven child get bitten by a werepanda. I am not sure what to do. I need to kill them right. My military is very trained with multiple squads with grand master level people so they killed it easily but the child was outside when it came. I'm not sure what to do.

Isolate the child in a sealed room. Thanks to being a werecreature, it won't starve, but it still counts as a member of your fortress. If your fort falls, you can wait for the invaders to leave and rebuild, or unleash the beast on them.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

StrangeAeon posted:

Somehow, 4 dwwarves have had their pathfinding completely broken. They're on the surface, and not next to trees, but they are slowly starving and refusing to move. Wtf.

I've hit this bug as well. Seems that it mostly affects fisherdwarfs. My experience is that it will go away when they get hungry enough that they enter the emergency "I must find food now" mode and then they'll behave normally.

cheesetriangles posted:

I've played a pretty okay amount of DF and I know my way around things generally. My problem is I don't really know how to get into the late game. I've seen people with all these advanced fortress designs and I have no idea why you would do that or what would be the proper way to emulate it. I normally turn off invasions because I never have any idea how to defend against them. I know how the basics of military but not the more advanced operations of it. Is there a good guide on how to take the basics of the game and get into the late game stuff? Am I basically poo poo out of luck until I read all the related articles on the wiki?

Take "advanced fortress designs" with a massive grain of salt. Usually the advanced fortress designs presented in the wiki are a result of aspergers and they're able to get a 0.01% increase in efficiency of the fortress.

Aside from security features, feel free to put poo poo wherever you find it logical to put it. Dining room next to a bedroom? Sure fine. Combination bedroom/tombs for every non-noble dwarf? Lovely idea!

As for invasions for beginners: Make traps. Your fortress should have one entrance on the surface. Trap the poo poo out of that entrance. If you want to get more advanced, build walls and channel moats so that you can funnel invaders (and animals!) down paths you want them to go. My favorite trap is glass serrated blades but you might like several of the other options available.

The army is something you can mess around with after you've got your experience with traps down. The army is what you need to handle the really FUN stuff.

TheCIASentMe fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 3, 2014

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

help

please

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Looks like everything is under control to me.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Seriously, most of the fun (for me at least) comes from making a fortress that is pretty, functional, looks 'right' for a place someone actually lives in, and unique. The designs on the wiki are a bit more functional than most, but they're often ugly, they're gamey, and they're certainly not unique.

My favorite fort was a pillar city. 5 story underground towers for every dwarf, with a bedroom, tomb, dining room, office, and pantry. Channeled in such a way to leave empty space between each tower. My dorfs had style.

Aug 24, 2011

Bad Munki posted:

Looks like everything is under control to me.

no its not more came

jesus poo poo how do i fight this, they are on the wrong z level to magmatise

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dreggon posted:

cave in to get them on the right z level

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Dreggon posted:

Make an underground tunnel starting somewhere where they can be magmatized, and connect it to a place the zombies can reach.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

Dreggon posted:

no its not more came

Ok, we can get you through this.

First: Lock your front door. Asap,

Next: Secure your refuse pile. Wall that poo poo up if it can in any way get to your fortress.

Done? Ok. Now here's where it will get complicated. Are the enemies scattered about the map or are they in a centralized location?

Also, post a screenshot of the surface portion of your fortress.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Dreggon posted:

help

please

goondolences

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Sep 3, 2014

Aug 24, 2011

gently caress poo poo i'm just gonna flood the loving thing if i can get a miner to the magma

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Well I looked at this thread too late and a werepanda child just killed half my fort. Rest in piece whatever my fort was called.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

Dreggon posted:

gently caress poo poo i'm just gonna flood the loving thing if i can get a miner to the magma

Yes. Very good idea.

Aug 24, 2011

what the gently caress kind of loving meeting you loving rear end in a top hat dwarf

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Dreggon posted:

what the gently caress kind of loving meeting you loving rear end in a top hat dwarf

The "yell at mayor for not preventing everyone from dying" meeting.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Really unhappy dwarves can take an appointment with the mayor so they can yell at them or cry on their shoulder, depending whether the disgruntlant is angry or depressive by nature. The end result lifts their spirits by a varying amount. Really incompatible leaders can make their subjects feel even worse!

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Dreggon posted:

This is the best DF LP in years.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Dreggon posted:

no its not more came

"more control"

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

cheesetriangles posted:

Rest in piece whatever my fort was called.

Ever since the RNG named one of my forts "Catballs," every one of my forts has been named "Catballs."

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Is there a way to force my miners to dig damp/warm stone? Theres an ocean above the tiles I am trying to dig out and I keep having to give the dig order every time they hit a new tile. Is there a way to do it in df hack or the base game?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I've been running into a strange sort of bug. Sometimes my stockpiles/workshops aren't recognizing usable objects. Forbidding/dumping/unforbidding, changing stockpile settings, etc doesn't seem to work. Deconstructing / undesignating and rebuilding/reallocating seems to fix it, however.

Like, I'll have a shitton of empty, usable bags sitting in a furniture stockpile for near my farms that is just for bags. My millers are perfectly happy to use those bags to make flour, while my farmers workshop says there's no bags available to shove quarry bushes into. There's like 80 spare bags so it's not like they've all already been tasked. But if I tear down the farmers workshop and rebuild it, all of a sudden it will realize that there is now bags and it can let me tell dwarves to process plants to a bag.

I haven't really gotten too deep into other industries, so I've only seen this in farming-related stuff but I wouldn't be surprised if I start finding similar issues once I decide to smelt this gold and make shiny crap with it. It's not horribly gamebreaking or anything, just annoying as hell, especially when I forget to relink the new building/piles to each other.

In less boring quartermaster news, I forgot werebeasts can sneak now. My trusty guard war dogs did catch the wererabbit sneaking in, but also got eviscerated. As did my incredibly pathetic militia of three. The wererabbit went on a merry rampage for a short moment before changing back into a human and running off screaming naked into the wilderness. 2 dwarven deaths, but about half the fortress has been injured and likely infected. I'm tempted to try and segregate them into their own subfort or try to make them into a militia or something. I can't just stick them all in a pit because it is literally more than half of my fort right now, and if they start going insane the tantrum spiral will most likely wipe me out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

cheesetriangles posted:

Is there a way to force my miners to dig damp/warm stone? Theres an ocean above the tiles I am trying to dig out and I keep having to give the dig order every time they hit a new tile. Is there a way to do it in df hack or the base game?

It seems the warning appears when damp/warm stone is discovered, so maybe try using reveal and dig out your stuff, then unreveal afterwards?