Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Murdering a child and stealing his body?

Also The Rock has finally confirmed that he's Black Adam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

I am officially too hype for DC movies.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Esroc posted:

I like how isolating him from the rest of Avengers shows how he's clearly in panic mode throughout the film. After the events of Thor he has nowhere to go and thus in a rash move throws in with Thanos, who is bloody terrifying, and gets in a bit too deep with no way out except through.

I never pegged Loki throwing in with Thanos to be an actual choice, when he first shows up in Avengers he looks like seven shades of poo poo. I'd guess he had a lengthy conversation with the back of Thanos's hand about how his godhood meant exactly dick and he can either be useful or be dead. Loki is still a villain as he'd kill/rule earth to keep his own rear end alive.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Is there no comic or anything covering that? I assumed Thanos plucked Loki from the void after Thor 1 to do his dirty work.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Aphrodite posted:

Is there no comic or anything covering that? I assumed Thanos plucked Loki from the void after Thor 1 to do his dirty work.

They kinda toss out everything they felt like from Thor to make Avengers work. I'm still pretty irritated that Thor just doesn't need the rainbow bridge for...reasons?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah I thought it was odd that they destroyed the Bridge but ultimately it didn't amount to much like it should.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

theflyingorc posted:

They kinda toss out everything they felt like from Thor to make Avengers work. I'm still pretty irritated that Thor just doesn't need the rainbow bridge for...reasons?

This isn't really much of a thing to intuit, Thor 2 more or less already explains it:

The Bifrost took time to repair, this was done between Thor 1 and Avengers. Thor comes to Earth for Avengers and then doesn't come back because warfare and because angst. There done easy.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah I thought it was odd that they destroyed the Bridge but ultimately it didn't amount to much like it should.

The reason was they didn't have time in the Avengers to really deal with a major plot point from Thor.

Captain Oblivious posted:

This isn't really much of a thing to intuit, Thor 2 more or less already explains it:

The Bifrost took time to repair, this was done between Thor 1 and Avengers. Thor comes to Earth for Avengers and then doesn't come back because warfare and because angst. There done easy.
I don't recall that being said in Thor 2, but regardless - that's a huge disrespect for the end of Thor. Thor is sacrificing his chance of EVER seeing her again. It's established that breaking the bridge cuts them off from Earth forever. They purposefully offer a wary around this by showing Jane doing some type of research at the end (with the obvious implication that she was going to find a way back to him, rather than the reverse), and they toss all that aside because of limited minutes for storytelling in Avengers.

If the Asgardians can just fix the bridge, there's no sacrifice in Thor. It wasn't good for the overall story (although maybe necessary for Avengers itself).

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Sep 3, 2014

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

There's also that throwaway line about it taking a bunch of energy to get Thor down there in the first place, then they had to use the tesseract to get back.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Captain Oblivious posted:

Actually it's still broken in Avengers.

Loki says something about Odin using dark magic to send Thor to Earth.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Waterhaul posted:

I wonder if they're going the unknown route for Billy/Cap/Shazam and counting on Rock as the marquee name.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Rob Riggle would be a perfect Big Red Cheese. He even looks like a C.C. Beck drawing.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I finally got around to seeing Iron Man 3 and is it me or is it clearly the weakest of the bunch? I know IM2 catches a lot of poo poo but this one was way worse. I didn't even finish it and turned if off once I got the little bullied kid.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

I finally got around to seeing Iron Man 3 and is it me or is it clearly the weakest of the bunch? I know IM2 catches a lot of poo poo but this one was way worse. I didn't even finish it and turned if off once I got the little bullied kid.

Iron Man 3 is not very good but I don't know if it's worse than Iron man 2. On the plus side, better action. Downside, no Sam Rockwell. Call it a wash.

If you shut it off that early, you did miss the best scene, but I'm not sure the movie's good enough for me to try and talk you into finishing it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yes, 1/3rd of Iron Man 3 is not as good as entire other Marvel films.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

IM3 owned what the hell are you talking about?

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
I tried to watch Iron Man 3 with my kids because the first two weren't too bad and mostly just had robot explosions and hoo boy was that a bad parenting mistake. Was cringing at my kids watching a dude explode from extremis and then immediately shut off the TV when the Mandarin pointed a gun at that guy's head.

After I made them go to bed I thought it was a pretty solid flick.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Devo posted:

I tried to watch Iron Man 3 with my kids because the first two weren't too bad and mostly just had robot explosions and hoo boy was that a bad parenting mistake. Was cringing at my kids watching a dude explode from extremis and then immediately shut off the TV when the Mandarin pointed a gun at that guy's head.

I saw Robocop when I was 8 and I turned out fine.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Devo posted:

How old are your kids? Did they get nightmares?

I have a little brother and sister that are five, and I'm not sure what's the right age for Marvel movie violence yet.

I'm just hoping they'll be old enough for it soon because I'm sick of My Little Pony.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Devo posted:

Your kids are gonna grow up to be Ned Flanders.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

^^^The PG-13 rating is there for a reason!

zoux posted:

My dad took me out of school to see Terminator 2 in the theater when I was 10 but I guess I'm not as cool a parent :(

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

The Action Man posted:

How old are your kids? Did they get nightmares?

I have a little brother and sister that are five, and I'm not sure what's the right age for Marvel movie violence yet.

I'm just hoping they'll be old enough for it soon because I'm sick of My Little Pony.

My kids were 4 and 7 and I was mainly worried about the 4 year old since she can get nightmares. I also generally don't want them seeing guys holding guns to other guys' heads.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

zoux posted:

"I turned out fine" - Everybody, everywhere

It's actually super OK to not expose young children to things they might find upsetting, and realistic violence like a dude threatening to execute somebody is well within a reasonable thing to not want kids to see.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Devo posted:

My kids were 4 and 7 and I was mainly worried about the 4 year old since she can get nightmares. I also generally don't want them seeing guys holding guns to other guys' heads.

Good call; the Mandarin terror videos are way too intense for a 4 year old.

Thank goodness we have twins in my family, so we can start action movies at the same time together.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Iron Man 3 is not very good but I don't know if it's worse than Iron man 2. On the plus side, better action. Downside, no Sam Rockwell. Call it a wash.

If you shut it off that early, you did miss the best scene, but I'm not sure the movie's good enough for me to try and talk you into finishing it.

I thought Ben Kingsley putting in some effort was way more fun than a Rockwell they don't know what to do with. I haven't seen it in a while but I greatly preferred 2 over 3 though looking back on it you could probably cut like an hour out of the film and it wouldn't make a difference.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The Action Man posted:

Good call; the Mandarin terror videos are way too intense for a 4 year old.

Thank goodness we have twins in my family, so we can start action movies at the same time together.

Start one young and never expose the other to any violence, see what happens

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Opopanax posted:

Start one young and never expose the other to any violence, see what happens

I can only hope it will go more like Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch rather than Loki and Thor.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The Action Man posted:

I can only hope it will go more like Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch rather than Loki and Thor.

:stonk: You sicko

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Not Ultimate!

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

drat dude I wasn't going to say anything but you could at least picked like the Wonder Twins or that. They either end up as crazy terrorists or worse.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.
At least this gives me another excuse to hate on Millar and Loeb.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Lurdiak posted:

Your kids are gonna grow up to be Ned Flanders.

Best reply. I tend to find that I watch a film first, then decide if my kids can see it. I don't mind profanity because kids hear worse in the playground than they do in films. Especially so in my day at school.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Rob Riggle would be a perfect Big Red Cheese. He even looks like a C.C. Beck drawing.

Holy poo poo that's amazing

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Unmature posted:

Holy poo poo that's amazing
The trouble with Big Rig (who I love) is that I honestly could not in a million years buy him as completely sincere and well-meaning.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

theflyingorc posted:

The reason was they didn't have time in the Avengers to really deal with a major plot point from Thor.

I don't recall that being said in Thor 2, but regardless - that's a huge disrespect for the end of Thor. Thor is sacrificing his chance of EVER seeing her again. It's established that breaking the bridge cuts them off from Earth forever. They purposefully offer a wary around this by showing Jane doing some type of research at the end (with the obvious implication that she was going to find a way back to him, rather than the reverse), and they toss all that aside because of limited minutes for storytelling in Avengers.

If the Asgardians can just fix the bridge, there's no sacrifice in Thor. It wasn't good for the overall story (although maybe necessary for Avengers itself).

It actually works perfectly for the story....if they just made a single tiny change.

So Thor breaks the Bifrost bridge, cutting Asguard off. But Jane is determined to work at restoring the bridge using her primitive Midguard science.

You need to have the last scene be Thor picking up a broken piece of the Bifrost Bridge, and using Mjolnor, fuse it onto the remains of the bridge.

If you do that, imply that Thor will try and fix the Bridge as well, then the story of Thor closes perfectly.

Thor learns to take responsibility for his actions (He broke the bridge, he fixes it. As contrasted with his earlier headstrong, reckless attitude which caused war with the Jotuns.)

Thor demonstrates that he has matured as a prince, that he sees Mjolnor not just as a Weapon, but a Tool for fixing as well.

And lastly it shows that Thor and Jane love each other. One of the most important parts of any relationship is Compromise, but it's also working together. By having both work at fixing the problem that keeps them apart, then they demonstrate a mature, realistic depiction of romance.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
I don't like that at all.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
It's definitely cheapening the ending of Thor, that made a pretty big deal out of Thor NOT being able to return to Earth by simply having him popping up out of no where, with just one line of dialog explaning the thing. Apparently there was a bigger explantion, but it got scrapped/cut for time.

Which reminds me, are there actually any cool cut scenes on any of the home releases?

e X fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 3, 2014

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
It shows more thought than "something something DARK MAGIC something something", but I don't think Thor grew quite that much over the course of the movie. A little more humble, sure, but he's still a big, dumb jock.

Did he ever use Mjolnir to fix things when he was working construction? I can't bring myself to read 90's Thor.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

e X posted:

It's definitely cheapening the ending of Thor, that made a pretty big deal out of Thor NOT being able to return to Earth by simply having him popping up out of no where, with just one line of dialog explaning the thing. Apparently there was a bigger explantion, but it got scrapped/cut for time.

Which reminds me, are there actually any cool cut scenes on any of the home releases?

There's a whole subplot with Hill being a mole for the security council that got dropped from Avengers (she eventually comes around and ends up defending Fury and the Avengers to them).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Waterhaul posted:

I'm going to call it now that there will be a spinoff Black Adam movie, possibly a redemption film. Or for shits and giggles, something like Scorpion King but in Kandaq.

• Locked thread