Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

I'm gonna mess with a ton of people in draft with this card. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I like how the art for this morph cycle has the creatures popping out of that Morph-fireball thing they've been using to signify morph creatures for this block.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

That seems a bit powerful. :stare:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Goddamn. I love this set.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
"We do not pile the skulls of our enemies, nor make them into ornaments. We grind them into dust. We leave nothing for their families to weep over, nothing for their descendants to honor."

—Anafenza, the Foremost

:black101:

e:

This stairway is carved into the face of a white-rock pinnacle that reaches high into the air. The stairs wind around the pinnacle, all the way up to the top, where there is a simple shrine and an unparalleled vista. Climbing this stair is considered a rite of passage for Jeskai youth. The climb is not difficult—except they must climb the stair on their hands. It takes incredible stamina, strength, and balance to accomplish this feat and ascend all 1,578 steps without falling. Jeskai children spend years in preparation, which begins as early as four years of age. Those who have climbed the steps are considered adults.

:black101::black101:

ungulateman fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Sep 3, 2014

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

That seems a bit powerful. :stare:

Really? It's either a 2 mana 3/1 or a 3 mana 3/1 with a minor trick attached.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Elyv posted:

Really? It's either a 2 mana 3/1 or a 3 mana 3/1 with a minor trick attached.

I will consider anything that lets Polukranos not get chumped good at this point, I guess.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The Ripper's the most exciting, imo.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Give me all the Horde Ambushers.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
The black one seems like the best one and the blue one seems like a pretty good trick in limited too. They're all pretty decent draft picks I'd say.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
"A person who masters the three Jeskai fires has attained enough wisdom to explore the next level of existence and harness the sixth fire: ghostfire. Only a few people have ever learned to control ghostfire, and it is believed they are able transcend natural elements and alter their fundamental nature and existence."

:aaaaa:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

quote:

You were taking on some risk [when blocking morphed creatures in older sets with morph], as some morphs became big enough or powerful enough to outright eat other morphs once they were turned face up. But at the same time, some morphs badly punished you for not blocking.

This kind of decision-making will not exist in Khans of Tarkir—at least not early in the game.

No morph, when turned face up, will outright trump another face-down morph in combat for anything under five mana, across all rarities.

That's right, if you block a morph with your morph, and your opponent has less than five mana available, the other morph is going to die whether it's turned face up or not. If your opponent has five or more mana available, then all bets are off. This is something that will be very useful to you in the early stages of your first Khans of Tarkir Limited matches.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/li/five-little-morphlings-2014-09-03

Not sure what to think.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Not sure what to think.

And yet we see a 0/6 directly afterwards who contradicts this statement...? I think he means 'you will not get blown the gently caress out if your opponent has <5 mana', rather than 'you will win guaranteed'. See: the 6/6 trample hexproof guy from yesterday.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
It means they didn't want to make things a complete guessing game, like Skirk Commando/Battering Craghorn. It makes blocking not horribly stressful, at least until they've got 5 mana.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

ungulateman posted:

And yet we see a 0/6 directly afterwards who contradicts this statement...? I think he means 'you will not get blown the gently caress out if your opponent has <5 mana', rather than 'you will win guaranteed'. See: the 6/6 trample hexproof guy from yesterday.

He probably got ahead of himself, and only the previous sentence is actually true.

"No morph, when turned face up, will outright trump another face-down morph in combat for anything under five mana, across all rarities"

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

quote:

Some say that Narset possesses a secret potential inside her, a power or calling that will drive her to a greater purpose, but she remains dedicated to leading her clan.
Potential future planeswalker? Sounds like if fate reforged is Sarkhan changing the past we may get a Narset planeswalker in the third set.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/planeswalkers-guide-khans-tarkir-part-1-2014-09-03

Planeswalker's Guide to Tarkir, Part 1! Abzan, Jeskai and Sultai.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Rinkles posted:

He probably got ahead of himself, and only the previous sentence is actually true.

"No morph, when turned face up, will outright trump another face-down morph in combat for anything under five mana, across all rarities"

Yeah, I noticed that sentence and thought that there was a significant, if semantic difference in what they meant. Whether it's good or bad is up for debate, but given what we've seen it should be fine. You'll still see trades and 'heh, nice job attacking into my 0/6 dingus' happen, but no 'man, my bomb removal spell just whiffed on some hexproof dude' below 5 mana (at which point it could have just been countered, redirected or otherwise dealt with regardless of morph).

I really want to make a Jeskai deck post-rotation, control or otherwise. I love everything about them. I've even grown to love their board wipe, funky as it is.

e:
This is where I got my above quotes, by the way.

Hmm. If Narset has some 'hidden potential' which might end up being the Spark, and ghostfire is some mystical sixth-colour...

Purple as sixth color confirmed for Louie. :haw:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Sultai Tri-land art? Looks neat.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

newtestleper posted:

I think this fails the flavour test for mythics. I think this will be a 'myth' not a 'hit' when CFB do their little segment on thie set.

Five mana for for six flying power, it's resistant to spot removal, and it gives you a bit of life? Hell yeah I'll take four.

Whether or not it 'feels Mythic' is a matter of personal opinion.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Other pieces of artwork from the article:

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

That black morph ambusher is a really high pick in draft.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

meanolmrcloud posted:

That black morph ambusher is a really high pick in draft.

I already love 1/1 deathtouchers for 1, and this is just gravy.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

ungulateman posted:

Yeah, I noticed that sentence and thought that there was a significant, if semantic difference in what they meant. Whether it's good or bad is up for debate, but given what we've seen it should be fine. You'll still see trades and 'heh, nice job attacking into my 0/6 dingus' happen, but no 'man, my bomb removal spell just whiffed on some hexproof dude' below 5 mana (at which point it could have just been countered, redirected or otherwise dealt with regardless of morph).

I really want to make a Jeskai deck post-rotation, control or otherwise. I love everything about them. I've even grown to love their board wipe, funky as it is.

e:

This is where I got my above quotes, by the way.

Hmm. If Narset has some 'hidden potential' which might end up being the Spark, and ghostfire is some mystical sixth-colour...

Purple as sixth color confirmed for Louie. :haw:

ghostfire is already a thing we know about, its the colorless magic of Ugin

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Those of you who did not play Onslaught limited might not understand how big a deal combat abilities on a morph are. Combat abilities on a morph are a big fuckin' deal.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Many, many, many years ago, I was playing Momir Basic against Devin Low on MTGO. I got a Goblin Firebug, and asked "red can't get a vanilla bear?" He confirmed that a vanilla 2/2 for 1R isn't allowed, although it is at RR.

Ten or so years later, red still doesn't get vanilla bears.

(Frazzled Editor might possible break that rule, although you can't put some Auras and Equipment on it.)

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm gonna mess with a ton of people in draft with this card. :getin:

Man, I read that as "you lose 2 life" and I was all "eh, another black card where you have to pay life for some sort of trick", but TARGET opponent actually makes this pretty darn cool for limited.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

This is going to be :goonsay: but I like this setting a lot and it would be cool to explore it in an MMORPG. They should make one where you as a planeswalker can travel from world to world and check out the various places while summoning atogs, squee and norin the wary to farm bear asses for you.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
I really want to see a Magic game done in the style of Sacrifice. Capture lands to get relevant mana, summon creatures, cast spells, although it would take some work to really translate the games concepts to a real-time thrid-person strategy game.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Veyrall posted:

I really want to see a Magic game done in the style of Sacrifice. Capture lands to get relevant mana, summon creatures, cast spells, although it would take some work to really translate the games concepts to a real-time thrid-person strategy game.

Sacrifice was fun as gently caress and I would buy this twice.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Is it completely possible and possibly advantageous to just draft every Ripper regardless of whether or not they're in your colour?

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Sure. You could reveal one to flip the others. At worst, it's a grey ogre.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Is it completely possible and possibly advantageous to just draft every Ripper regardless of whether or not they're in your colour?

It's possible but it's almost certainly a bad idea, if you don't have the black card to flip them they're just gray ogres and gray ogre is pretty bad. Hatedrafting is generally a bad idea.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Won't be in standard with hybrid mana though right? There goes my plan of having a bunch of black cards without any swamps.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

"HELLO FRIENDS"

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Elyv posted:

It's possible but it's almost certainly a bad idea, if you don't have the black card to flip them they're just gray ogres and gray ogre is pretty bad. Hatedrafting is generally a bad idea.

Not to mention, they're uncommon, so you aren't likely to pull enough Rippers to make revealing Rippers to Rippers a profitable strategy.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
New right?

Aproxiamte translation:

quote:

flying crane technique

Instant

Untap all creatures you control. All creatures you control gain flying and double strike until end of turn.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I think I'll just listen to "Everyone was all kung fu fighting" whenever I play Jeskai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Bugsy posted:

New right?

Aproxiamte translation:
Well that'll end a game effectively if you have prowess creatures out.

• Locked thread