Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

syphon posted:

Some may disagree on particular series... but I don't think reading Chronological (as opposed to Published) order is ever preferable. I can't think of a single instance where a series is better read in Chronological order over published order.

The Vorkosigan Saga?
Even Lois McMaster Bujold said that it was perfectly fine to read it either in publishing order or chronological, and so far it has worked out fine for me.

I'm also reading the Polity books (Agent Cormac/Spatterjay) by Neal Asher in chronological order. While the first few were forgettable, they actually said up the universe in nice way.
Haven't gotten to the Spatterjay books yet though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah, the Vorkosigan books, the Alliance/Union books by Cherryh, and the Fire on the Deep/Deepness in Sky books by Vinge are ones where it's defensible at least to read in chronological instead of published. Where there's doubt though published order is always a safe bet.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
David Willington's vampire books are pretty decent, but the dude seriously needs to learn to write an ending. I haven't read the last one though so he might surprise me.

His books just loving, stop. Like, post climax full stop THE END. It's incredibly jarring.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I wanna plug Craig Schaefer's Daniel Faust books again. I just finished the third one, and it was a heck of a solid book. Satisfyingly resolved a bunch of stuff that he'd clearly laid the groundwork for in the first book, but also set things up for the next books. I really like his writing and his world, give it a read.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

David Willington's vampire books are pretty decent, but the dude seriously needs to learn to write an ending. I haven't read the last one though so he might surprise me.

His books just loving, stop. Like, post climax full stop THE END. It's incredibly jarring.
Yeah, he's bad about that. I could understand it if they were cliffhangers to set up the next part of a series, but the novels are all pretty self-contained and he does it even when it's clear that he isn't planning to continue from there. No idea what's up with that.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I've been tempted to read the Vlad series, but is it ok to read without knowing who the gently caress all those other people are? Or is it one of those "You will be utterly lose unless you read every one of this dude's books set in his universe" kinda things?

Let me put it this way: if I get the opportunity to recommend any one fantasy book to an interested friend, it ends up being Jhereg, the very first Vlad book. They're incredibly easy stories to pick up and each book is remarkably self-contained. Vlad will occasionally reference an adventure or character he's met in the past, and some of those may turn out to be entire books in themselves, but you won't need to know anything about them to appreciate the events in the book you're reading. Whoever said you need to read the companion series to understand what's going on is dead wrong.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp

Cardiovorax posted:

I agree that the setting is conceptually interesting and the basic plots were alright enough, but I just couldn't stand what she did with her main characters long enough to get any enjoyment out of it.

Actually frightening vampires is always a good recommendation. Way too few horror authors these days understand the basic concept that the monster is supposed to be scary. Tragic, ok, maybe misunderstood even, but if they aren't horrifying and dangerous it just isn't actually horror.

Speaking of which, has anybody here read Thirteen Bullets by David Wellington or any of the sequels? They're really good about this. His vampires are pale, pointy-eared hairless monsters with a mouth full of shark teeth who are fast enough to outrun cars and strong enough to punch through steel plates. Psychologically they're like the worst parts of a thrill killer and the most degenerate junkie imaginable combined. Blood not only feels completely awesome to them, it makes them better, stronger and tougher the more they drink, until getting it and then getting more of it becomes the only thing they can think about. They only get hungrier as they age, until they eventually need to kill dozens of people a night to stay mobile. Anybody they kill becomes their completely self-aware zombie slave until they rot away after a week or so. The first thing any zombie does when it rises is to claw off its own face because it's such an unbearable and unnatural state to be in.

The best thing is, there is no such thing as a tragic or unwilling vampire. You can't get turned into one against your will. It does involve another vampire mindfucking with you, but then you need to actively choose death over life by committing suicide. Knowing exactly what you are getting into and what it'll cost is the basic requirement for being able to turn.

The first book is available online on the author's website, along with a couple of other books of his. It's absolutely worth a read if you like vampire horror at all.

I read his other series, the zombie one. It was good fun and quite grim with some neat new ideas. Thirteen Bullets is also great but haven't read the sequels.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
Wheeeee I just got my copy of Echopraxia, I'm loving stoked!

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Surely you mean Stokered.

JonasSalk
May 27, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
If I had known The Once and Future King would be so good I'd have read it ages ago. Still on the first book and I can't stop turning pages. Wow.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Heads up: VanderMeer's Acceptance is out today.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Neurosis posted:

Awesome. I completely forgot it was out so soon.

Here's hoping for some explanations.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
You probably won't get many. The series is pretty explicitly about the act of trying to understand the incomprehensible. I'm hoping he won't wrap too many things up explicitly.

explicitly explicitly

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 31, 2014

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

Neurosis posted:

Ah dang, thanks for the heads up! For some reason I thought it was out in October

McCoy Pauley posted:

Awesome. I completely forgot it was out so soon.

Here's hoping for some explanations.
I'm sure the title of the book also is a hint to readers to accept that there will be no answers :v:

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

Neurosis posted:

Where? My Amazon says Sept 2nd.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

New books (except James Patterson, who gets released on Mondays for reasons) always have publish dates on Tuesdays. For the really big releases, they'll be strict on-sale dates that all retail stores will abide by (or risk legal action), but smaller releases won't be as strict. I don't know if Acceptance qualifies, so you might be able to find it in a bookstore a couple of days early.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Popular Human posted:

Where? My Amazon says Sept 2nd.

Oops, tomorrow.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I just finished Daniel Abraham's new Dagger & Coin book, it was alright. There was some stuff I liked but I think my incorrect assumption that this was the final one messed with my expectations. The concept for the bad guys in this just works less and less for me the more it gets stretched out and the whole defeating them by inventing paper currency is very underwhelming and sorta nonsensical imo.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!

savinhill posted:

The concept for the bad guys in this just works less and less for me the more it gets stretched out and the whole defeating them by inventing paper currency is very underwhelming and sorta nonsensical imo.

Really? I like it a lot, I felt like this book took the overarching plot and made it much more interesting for me.

Previously this was a story about a group of adventurers - albeit ones that don't fit typical fantasy archetypes - on a typical fantasy quest to defeat the evil goddess of lies. Now it's the story of Cithrin and friends trying to overcome humanity's innate urge toward self destructive tribalism (accelerated and powered by the spider disease of fanaticism) by building a global economy and web of self interest. And there's still dragons and sword fights. I like it.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

So I just finished Hyperion. I liked it quite a bit, and have started the next book. I seem to remember it being the general opinion around here that everything after Fall of Hyperion is no good. Am I remembering correctly?

I'm pretty new to sf in general except for some Bradbury stuff, so any other recommendations in the same vein as Hyperion?

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

A Proper Uppercut posted:

So I just finished Hyperion. I liked it quite a bit, and have started the next book. I seem to remember it being the general opinion around here that everything after Fall of Hyperion is no good. Am I remembering correctly?

You are, mostly.

quote:

I'm pretty new to sf in general except for some Bradbury stuff, so any other recommendations in the same vein as Hyperion?

You could try the classics. If you want a mankind-wide future history which has influenced almost every "galactic empire" book written afterwards, go for the original Foundation books, by Isaac Asimov (Foundation, Foundation and Empire, Second Foundation).

I suggest to steer clear of the rest of the "Foundation" franchise until you have read those ones.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Amberskin posted:

original Foundation books, by Isaac Asimov (Foundation, Foundation and Empire, Second Foundation).

I suggest to steer clear of the rest of the "Foundation" franchise until you have read those ones.

I actually had kind of started looking into those, but I was having trouble figuring out what to start with and what order they went in. I may check those out next.

Also that's a shame about the Hyperion books. I really liked the first one.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The other two books are not nearly as good, but they're tolerably readable, if you don't look too closely.

It would help if you explained what is it that you particularly liked about Hyperion.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just a heads up. I was surprised to find out the new Alex Verus book was out today. The title is Hidden, and it's book 5 of the series.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Yes, but read it anyway. Both Endymion books, too. This series is easily in my top five space operas.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

ZerodotJander posted:

Really? I like it a lot, I felt like this book took the overarching plot and made it much more interesting for me.

Previously this was a story about a group of adventurers - albeit ones that don't fit typical fantasy archetypes - on a typical fantasy quest to defeat the evil goddess of lies. Now it's the story of Cithrin and friends trying to overcome humanity's innate urge toward self destructive tribalism (accelerated and powered by the spider disease of fanaticism) by building a global economy and web of self interest. And there's still dragons and sword fights. I like it.

Yeah, like I said, I thought this was gonna be the finale, so when I realized that it wasn't while about halfway through the novel it may have caused me to nitpick more than I normally would. I did enjoy the characters again in this one, he's really improved at making them more memorable and interesting since his first fantasy series.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I'm 74% of the way through Acceptance. The book has been very uneven. I wasn't particularly impressed with Authority, and the first 1/3 of this book is more of the same. VanderMeer is too intent on obfuscating anything meaningful and putting in lots of run on sentences (really, Jeff, carefully think before using sentences longer than 40 words) with conflicting imagery to build ~atmosphere~. It worked in Annihilation because Area X, and the imagery discussed, were novel. Authority had little that was new, so it just grated. Acceptance picks up after the first 1/3, but it's still not great.

I've read that in the book VanderMeer wrote on writing, Wonderland, on how to build imaginative landscapes, he talks a lot about concealing details and letting the mind fill things in. It feels like he's taken it too far, and thinks the mind will always attribute more significance to vague and confusing imagery rather than eventually finding it irritating. Worse, he may have adopted this as some kind of prescriptive law of how he writes, rather than a guideline.

The series isn't bad, but I think that if you edited it you could make a really gripping single book about 1/2 or maybe 2/3 of the full 3 books.

I liked the Ambergris books a lot more, by comparison.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Over the last few months I have read a lot of "D&D players get sucked into game" fantasy, and I gotta say the Critical Failures series had me laughing pretty hard. It's pretty much sophomoric humor but it's pretty god damned funny.

I've been reading these books, and am up to the third now. They are pretty goddamn funny at times, but what fascinates me about them is how the author went with the concept to a very literal point. The world they get sucked into still operates on the same rules of D&D Third Edition (though renamed) and most of them are aware of the rules and end up taking advantage of stuff in clever manner. Unlike something like the Guardians of the Flame series by Joel Rosenberg, where they just end up in fantasy world, in this series they end up in live action D&D with real consequences.

Also, one of the characters, Cooper, made his game character a half orc with a charisma of like 4. This manifests itself in his character being unable to control his bowels or bladder and constantly defecating or urinating all over the ground in front of people, among other things.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Anyone ever read any L.E. Modesitt Jr.? There's a big pile of his stuff sitting in my local library and some of it sounds intriguing, blurb-wise.

mystes
May 31, 2006

PupsOfWar posted:

Anyone ever read any L.E. Modesitt Jr.? There's a big pile of his stuff sitting in my local library and some of it sounds intriguing, blurb-wise.
I don't know why a library would buy so many copies of L.E. Modesitt's book.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
His Recluce stuff is pretty good. It's not exceptional by any stretch of the word, but I enjoyed them enough to read most of them. He had this weird knack of writing his characters as craftsmen (usually the Hero decided to be a furniture maker or something mundane) which really made me want to start building chairs. I have no idea how he did that.

Very vague spoiler about the whole series that doesn't reveal the plot of any one book: Another neat thing is that many prequels will go further into the past to analyze the "Legends" of the previous book, and eventually you find out that this Fantasy world/realm was populated by a crash-landed spaceship straight out of a sci-fi book.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
For some reason I really like Modesitt, I think I've read almost everything he's written, but he really does write the same book over and over. His SF is more interesting and varied than his fantasy IMO.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Victorkm posted:

I've been reading these books, and am up to the third now. They are pretty goddamn funny at times, but what fascinates me about them is how the author went with the concept to a very literal point. The world they get sucked into still operates on the same rules of D&D Third Edition (though renamed) and most of them are aware of the rules and end up taking advantage of stuff in clever manner. Unlike something like the Guardians of the Flame series by Joel Rosenberg, where they just end up in fantasy world, in this series they end up in live action D&D with real consequences.

Also, one of the characters, Cooper, made his game character a half orc with a charisma of like 4. This manifests itself in his character being unable to control his bowels or bladder and constantly defecating or urinating all over the ground in front of people, among other things.

There's a few short stories as well, and they are all pretty much identical to the books in terms of hilarity.

Glad someone else enjoys em :)

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

There's a few short stories as well, and they are all pretty much identical to the books in terms of hilarity.

Glad someone else enjoys em :)

I picked up the first book and then completely forgot who plugged it in the first place. So just wanted to say thanks. I chuckled a hell of a lot. The whole "silly crude" thing was done in just the right way to not be terrible and actually be funny. How stuff (and poo poo for Cooper) goes down and keeps going down.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Neurosis posted:

I'm 74% of the way through Acceptance. The book has been very uneven. I wasn't particularly impressed with Authority, and the first 1/3 of this book is more of the same. VanderMeer is too intent on obfuscating anything meaningful and putting in lots of run on sentences (really, Jeff, carefully think before using sentences longer than 40 words) with conflicting imagery to build ~atmosphere~. It worked in Annihilation because Area X, and the imagery discussed, were novel. Authority had little that was new, so it just grated. Acceptance picks up after the first 1/3, but it's still not great.

I've read that in the book VanderMeer wrote on writing, Wonderland, on how to build imaginative landscapes, he talks a lot about concealing details and letting the mind fill things in. It feels like he's taken it too far, and thinks the mind will always attribute more significance to vague and confusing imagery rather than eventually finding it irritating. Worse, he may have adopted this as some kind of prescriptive law of how he writes, rather than a guideline.

The series isn't bad, but I think that if you edited it you could make a really gripping single book about 1/2 or maybe 2/3 of the full 3 books.

I liked the Ambergris books a lot more, by comparison.

Nothing in the ending really changed my opinion here. I gather (very general spoilers) VanderMeer's trying to create something truly weird and incomprehensible. Area X isn't meant to be fathomed. While there is some vague explanation as to its origins, there is no exposition or real discovery. We don't even find out what happens to Earth or Area X overall at the end. But loving hell, beyond the first book the ratio of signal to noise is so low that it's a chore to get through. We find out so few scraps about the Area, nearly all the knowledge is already given during the first book. I can't recommend this series. The first novel captured everything the other two did much more entertainingly and elegantly.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I admire what VanderMeer is doing on some level. He's decided that big reveals and unveiled secrets more often than not compromise and undermine the effect of the story that came before. Readers of weird fiction seem to thrive on uncertainty, speculation, mystery, and elision. So he's decided to commit to that frustration totally. His characters turn away from obvious clues and fail to use the resources given them. His narrative skips over things we really want to see.

Whether or not it works for you (it doesn't quite for me) I appreciate his discipline in executing on it. And I think the title is probably meant as a big red flag to those hoping for answers.

e: I think it's really hilarious that the second novel's pretty much a story about a reader of the first novel trying to figure it out and getting frustrated.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm in the minority (apparently), but The Magician King is my favorite of the trilogy. Julia's story is well-written, engaging, and tragic.

The Magicians: 3.5.
The Magician King: 4.5.
The Magician's Land: 4.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

syphon posted:

His Recluce stuff is pretty good. It's not exceptional by any stretch of the word, but I enjoyed them enough to read most of them. He had this weird knack of writing his characters as craftsmen (usually the Hero decided to be a furniture maker or something mundane) which really made me want to start building chairs. I have no idea how he did that.

They aren't the best but I definitely do enjoy them. And you're right definitely want to build chairs or blacksmith some poo poo after reading his books.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

General Battuta posted:

I admire what VanderMeer is doing on some level. He's decided that big reveals and unveiled secrets more often than not compromise and undermine the effect of the story that came before. Readers of weird fiction seem to thrive on uncertainty, speculation, mystery, and elision. So he's decided to commit to that frustration totally. His characters turn away from obvious clues and fail to use the resources given them. His narrative skips over things we really want to see.

Whether or not it works for you (it doesn't quite for me) I appreciate his discipline in executing on it. And I think the title is probably meant as a big red flag to those hoping for answers.

e: I think it's really hilarious that the second novel's pretty much a story about a reader of the first novel trying to figure it out and getting frustrated.
I also appreciate that sort of thing on principle, because the explanations authors come up with are never quite as good as the mystery you've built up in your head, but it can be really annoying when the author's hiding the wrong bits from you and arbitrarily makes his characters act stupider than they are to keep up the suspense. I've never read Vandermeer, although I've been interested in his Ambergris stories for a while now (on the basis that mushroom cyborgs are awesome.) Do you think he does a good job on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I'm not sure! Annihilation and Authority both stuck with me and I'm glad I read them. Although Annihilation was a much more engaging read in the moment, Authority might have unsettled me more profoundly in the long run. I haven't tried his other work. I'd suggest giving him a shot, for sure.