Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Bitcoin is also not a currency because it cannot reliably be exchanged for goods and services. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

On one hand, JC's delivery of the "sticks and stones" line made me laugh, but it also made him sound kind of like an rear end in a top hat who was enjoying Gunther's death.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
This LP keeps reminding me that I both played Deus Ex an awful lot and that it was quite a long time ago. I'd completely forgotten about this level, but then that music started up, and we saw those narrow streets with the alarmed windows - and I suddenly remembered all of it.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Garrand posted:

On one hand, JC's delivery of the "sticks and stones" line made me laugh, but it also made him sound kind of like an rear end in a top hat who was enjoying Gunther's death.

I'm pretty sure JC is simply an rear end in a top hat. The fact that he can match Simons in a one-on-one smug-off is clear evidence of that.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

Edward_Tohr posted:

My favorite way to handle the Gunther fight is to dash straight for the columns. If you're quick enough, you can get behind cover before he notices you.

Then get his attention with the GEP Gun.

Alternately, plant a whole load of LAMs along the staircase, get his attention and then run like a bitch back up past them.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
Everett's subtitles called Daedalus "Deadalus" near the end of the video. Is this foreshadowing? :ohdear:

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
Bobbin why have you never O.D. on zyme because I have gotten a game over from taking too much zyme before.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

How much did you even take? I've took like 20 one time and did the entire Return To NewYork map under the influence, and it didn't kill JC.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Kunster posted:

How much did you even take? I've took like 20 one time and did the entire Return To NewYork map under the influence, and it didn't kill JC.

Don't remember how many but I did cheat in a whole bunch at one point in time, and see how messed up JC would get and it killed me.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I'm pretty sure JC is simply an rear end in a top hat. The fact that he can match Simons in a one-on-one smug-off is clear evidence of that.

What a shame.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Known misses: No known unknowns.

Those two dudes in the kitchen that you Willy Pete'd actually have a conversation if you sneak up to them.

tinkerttoy
Dec 30, 2013

by XyloJW
I'm a little disappointed we didn't get to see a fair fight with Gunther as well. I know how underwhelming the bosses in DX are, but he deserves it for all the buildup he got.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
A fair fight with Gunther involves him pulling out a flamethrower and frying your rear end, and you can't do jack about it. Honestly the boss fights in Deus Ex really aren't that good since they seem to end up with you totally chumping the boss, or the boss totally chumping you with nothing in between.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah, since the bosses in DX dont' have much more health than other enemies, maybe a defensive aug on top of that, and usually carry heavy weapons, it's kind of a game of rocket tag the gameplay wasn't really designed for.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
It's made even worse due to the white-out problem you get when on the receiving end of a flamethrower or plasma rifle. I mean, you're on the REALLY wrong end of one of those things but when they're just as fast as you (unless you aug) and you can't see where to shoot back it just really encourages you to play far dirtier than you might prefer.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

It's really too bad the strength augmentation doesn't work like it does in Invisible War. It'd be perfect to kill Gunther with a can of lemon lime soda pitched at his head like a rail gun slug using a maxed out strength aug.

Is it possible to sneak past Gunther if you have both cloak augmentations? Or does he have plot vision/radar?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
ADS blocks all flamethrowers, plasma, and thrown explosives. Guess what's the exclusive armament of the bosses? :getin:

(spy drone isn't useless, but good lord its tough to care about considering what else you could have in that slot!!)

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Just finished next week's recording, which takes us through the Metro station and into Morgan Everett's building. In the process, I have discovered at least two more conversation threads I had never found before even in my practice run. I must admit, I was not expecting Everett's video to be ten minutes longer than the Cathedral...

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

Just finished next week's recording, which takes us through the Metro station and into Morgan Everett's building. In the process, I have discovered at least two more conversation threads I had never found before even in my practice run. I must admit, I was not expecting Everett's video to be ten minutes longer than the Cathedral...

Everett's House: A lot of plot and creepy poo poo.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Yeah, Everett's pad is HEAVY on exposition. Guy likes to hear himself talk...and has a nice enough delivery where I don't really mind.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Everett's house is the most fun you can have in Deus Ex without shooting a man in the head.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I noticed the LP and reinstalled the game while on vacation. Something happened years ago that erased my saves and made me give up near the end. Now I see they returned and I am completely lost on what to do with those saves. A new game made me appreciate how much messing around with the physics I am able to do. Toss bodies in a way as to make them bounce on several objects across a big room.

On my way to catching up, I managed to get trolled by an NPC that won't shut up, by forcing me out of an important cutscene.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Everett's house is the most fun you can have in Deus Ex without shooting a man in the head.

But the designers were nice enough to still provide an opportunity to pop open someone's brain box in the level if you're thorough enough. :commissar:

Have the devs offered any explanation as to how the upcoming iconic bit of dialogue involving an explosive device came to be? Was the script different and someone hacked together the line from left over audio files?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Fabulousity posted:

But the designers were nice enough to still provide an opportunity to pop open someone's brain box in the level if you're thorough enough. :commissar:

Have the devs offered any explanation as to how the upcoming iconic bit of dialogue involving an explosive device came to be? Was the script different and someone hacked together the line from left over audio files?

Every line in Everett's house was delivered exactly as intended. I don't know what you're insinuating. :colbert:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Any reason you didnt try to spook the hologram of Simons in the cathedral? I think thats one of the funniest bugs in the game. Or does it not work anymore?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

FrickenMoron posted:

Any reason you didnt try to spook the hologram of Simons in the cathedral? I think thats one of the funniest bugs in the game. Or does it not work anymore?

He already showed it off with an earlier hologram.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I must have skipped that episode, my bad.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

my dad posted:

He already showed it off with an earlier hologram.

Did he? I thought he failed to make it work?

e: that makes it sound like I want Bobbin to keep reloading to show off a single glitch, which I'm not.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

double nine posted:

Did he? I thought he failed to make it work?

e: that makes it sound like I want Bobbin to keep reloading to show off a single glitch, which I'm not.

It worked, but Simons didn't run very far when I was recording. Besides, is there even a gas grenade on the cathedral map?

Marker17501
Jul 8, 2013
I suppose you can use a fire extinguisher, which you can find in a crate next to the room where Gunther is. Not sure if it would work.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Marker17501 posted:

I suppose you can use a fire extinguisher, which you can find in a crate next to the room where Gunther is. Not sure if it would work.
Man Simons you are on FIRE

*sprays down hologram with the fire extinguisher until it's white like a christmas tree*

genola
Apr 7, 2011
Wow, based on how much Gunther sounded so obsessed with Anna, I wouldn't be surprised if he was in love with her too, with what little humanity he had left.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

genola posted:

Wow, based on how much Gunther sounded so obsessed with Anna, I wouldn't be surprised if he was in love with her too, with what little humanity he had left.

Even that aside, there was no one else he could relate to or understand his position. She was the only one who could empathize with him in the world. They were both dinosaurs, and in that had a bond that they couldn't easily share with others as they became increasingly outmoded.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

well that and they both prefer the "guns blazing" approach. Anna a bit more than Gunther but both really don't care about a bodybag more.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Some things I picked up on the game:
Throwing people in the water kills them in one second and they will gurgle for a few more seconds.

You can carry people in the water and they won't drown until you let go.

The supertanker will never blow up. The screen shaking from the exploding ship can send you flying across the map if you are in the air, especially with level 4 super speed.

You can kill MIBs without them blowing up, after you knock them out. Not sure if that was mentioned.

The bartender near the Zyme buyer has another dialog tree and it is very funny.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Today completes a four-week circuit round the corners.

Handouts:

Notebook of Giuliano
Project Morpheus: Notebook 8-B

Known misses: No known unknowns.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

A bomb!
That is a prototype of a much larger system.

Edit: Whenever the topic of singularity comes up I always end up thinking of this:

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 8, 2014

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
I love your corners, Bobbin, but I think this one was my favourite to date. I'm very much looking forward to what you've got in store for us next.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I like through all that fervor of whether the mechanic was an imposter or not, JC never thought to mention to Everett or Jock or even the imposter himself that there's a dead mechanic lying in plain sight at the helipad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

JC's twenty-three?

• Locked thread