Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
I just hope I can fit in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Can we bring pop up headlights back?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Of wtf I thought the ugly pictures were out with all the posts. I even drove my miata today to work.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

leica posted:

None locally will do it,and i don't really want to drive out of town for an alignment. I asked one shop if they had any ballast weights and he said "yeah you can WAIT in the waiting room" haha you're a funny jerk, I'll take my business elsewhere.

Realistically though, will it make that much of a difference for a DD anyway?

It's roughly 7% change of the weight of the car. Just grab a few 45 lbs plates and stuff them in the footwell.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Phone posted:

This thread is cool, loving mnet is another thing all together.

If you're expecting 160-165hp, 155-158 ft-lbs, 2350lbs and available next year... Congratulations! You live in something that resembles reality.

I'm betting 155hp, exact same as Mazda 3. I'm going to be disappointed if it's not significantly stiffer than NAs/NBs and lighter than NC though.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm betting 155hp, exact same as Mazda 3. I'm going to be disappointed if it's not significantly stiffer than NAs/NBs and lighter than NC though.

How would it not be considerably stiffer than the NA/NB? Seems like it would be a requirement just to meet safety regulations these days. Unfortunately I'd also bet that ends up raising the price a bit, since the materials you need to be both stronger and lighter aren't as cheap.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

gently caress the haters, the ND will probably be another awesome iteration of the tried and true Miata formula. All the usual naysayers will complain about lack of power, lack of fixed roof, lack of you-name-it.

Is it bad that one of the things I'm most excited about the ND is the presumably wildly improved fuel economy?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
^^ I'm definitely in for that. I think mid 30s shouldn't be an unreasonable expectation unless if they put in something ridiculous like a 5.3 rear end. Currently my 2 averages 33, bumping that more towards 40 would be welcomed.

Twerk from Home posted:

A solid fart is stiffer than the NA.

The price should be stay about the same. Everything these days is using some aluminum and the ND is probably going to have the same number of aluminum parts (spindles, rear links, etc). Get hype~~

Phone fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 3, 2014

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
It should be stiffer than the NA based on engineering improvements alone before we even get into material selection

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I just hope there is a cloth top without motors and a manual transmission. I'm sick of overcomplicated poo poo (I'm looking at you ford dps-6 'powershit', and that sync malarky) and want a simple roadster that I can fit my 5'11" self into.

I wish I'd never sold my NC

E: I just hope it's not the wholly over-complicated thing that the z4 has turned into. It's fine if there's a metal origami roof, but please let there be a cloth option.

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 3, 2014

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
My pipedreams are the continuation of the removable hardtop, those Recaros that the US didn't get in the NC, and availability before I have to pay taxes on the 2.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I read somewhere that there may be two engine options, but that even if there is the US probably won't be included (of course).

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's going to be just like the engine choices in the NB/NC: the normal motor or something with less displacement and 60% of the power (see: the 1.6L in the NB or the 1.8L in the NC).

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Blaise posted:

Same. I've ignored this thread forever for this reason. I drove the FRS/BRZ the other day finally in 6spd form and was so happy to get back into my NA. This is really the only new vehicle for me, so I'm HOPING they get it right.

Quoted from the last page... please explain in great detail what you missed in the frs that the miata has? Have you driven the NC? I'm interested to hear what your view on the frs/brz's shortcomings are compared to a miata.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Taco Box posted:

Quoted from the last page... please explain in great detail what you missed in the frs that the miata has? Have you driven the NC? I'm interested to hear what your view on the frs/brz's shortcomings are compared to a miata.

It's difficult to explain, but the ratio of acceleration:"refined-ness" wasn't there. My NA is really slow but there's so much noise and fun going on that you don't care. The FRS is so quiet/smooth/undramatic when you're accelerating that just no fun-factor for me to wind it out. Part of this is of course that there's a roof.

My gf was riding shotgun when I testdrove it. I was beating on it as hard as I could and until I was fully sideways she didn't even look up from her silly instagram BS. THAT'S how I know it's too slow. She should be screaming.

Heh.

I did drive the NC. I liked it. It was squarely between the FRS and the NA to me. Smoother, more refined, but still lively and you can put the top down.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Mark Booth put up some pictures: http://www.thephotobooth.net/Miata-Snapshots/2016MX5/43981400_FfhJN5#!i=3508493519&k=xDbqJ56

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Grassroots Motorsports had a contest to see who can make the most realistic fan rendering. I hope I win.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Live Reveal: http://youtu.be/Ze5GPxABcMs

Less than 5 minutes to go

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Two minutes ahhhhh

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

:allears:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

I'm expecting at least 200hp, 900kg, 40 mpg, no PS, a fixed roof and a soft top. Also Duran Duran. Come on Mazda, don't make me regret staying up until 2:30 to watch this poo poo!

Edit: Wait no, what is this bullshit?

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
Well this is awkward.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I'm expecting 160 horsepower, a manual transmission, a softtop without an electric assist, and some nods to practicality so my friends stop selling their miatas for hatchbacks :(

(A return of the "Miata" name on something other than a brochure or website would be welcome as well)

televiper
Feb 12, 2007
apparently that man speaks Duran Duran?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
CONFIRMED: MIATA IS DISCONTINUED

This chat is awesome.

e: there's a few of us in #newenglandai

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

As long as we're making goofy predictions.

It's gonna be a diesel, and shooting brake.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

2 speed automatic only, 345 rears, 708hp, 2200lbs

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Bovril Delight posted:

the automatic might be 2 speed, but the manual is going to be twin stick, 8 speed.

The auto will still get better fuel economy somehow.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

1800lbs, 400hp, $20K, FWD

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
They're putting the NA back in production.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery
More activity on the Japan feed: http://www.mazda.com/jp/stories/history/roadster/roadster_25th/thanksday/ustream/

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

TrueChaos posted:

1800lbs, 400hp, $20K, FWD

I'd buy this and just drive it in reverse

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's just a "history of mazda" thing

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I'm hoping for Mariner Blue. gently caress all the other stats.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Some dude talkin on the youtube stream, but the audio is still just music.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Goober Peas posted:

I'm hoping for Mariner Blue. gently caress all the other stats.

Is it wrong I always thought of that as 'poverty blue' ?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Good thing I have absolutely nothing better to do than watch this dumb poo poo. It's like waiting on a band to come out and loving play already.

[edit] what was even the point of the countdown?

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
Japan stream was showing all these Japanese dudes working on the NA, but wasn't it actually designed by the Mazda team in California?

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Bovril Delight posted:

Hydramatic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

leica posted:

Good thing I have absolutely nothing better to do than watch this dumb poo poo. It's like waiting on a band to come out and loving play already.

[edit] what was even the point of the countdown?

At least there's some good guitar going. Almost sounds like Pink Floyd