Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Super Ninja Fish posted:

The one likable character in the game. He's an outlier. FF6 is the only one where most of the cast is 25+. (At least I believe most, I didn't count) So it feels like the most adult cast, even despite Relm and Gau. It's the only RPG I can think of where I can have my top five favorite characters be 25+. I wonder why they chose to do that in one game and then never again.

The two 'leads' Terra and Celes, are both under 20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I actually didn't realize Celes was 18, that's really funny.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Beef Waifu posted:

I actually didn't realize Celes was 18, that's really funny.

The ages in FFVI are really weird. I would basically have assumed Locke and Celes were the same age but nope, he's like 7 years older than her

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

The ages in FFVI are really weird. I would basically have assumed Locke and Celes were the same age but nope, he's like 7 years older than her
It seriously feels like they were just terrified of having a woman over 21. I mean, it's not as ridiculous as 18 year old teacher Quistis, but it's still pretty silly.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The same age-old rule holds fast: always add five.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Terper posted:

The same age-old rule holds fast: always add five.
That only works like half the time, honestly. I mean if the character's 20 and acting like a grizzed adult, okay, but sometimes there's a 13 year old character who's unsure of themselves and treated as the baby of the group and adding five there is weird.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The same age-old rule holds fast: most of the time, add five.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
age is just a number

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Wow guys, if you like FF6 so much, why didn't you buy it back then?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Gologle posted:

because 7 was my first, Gooch.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

Butt Ghost posted:

I love how this apparent dark, gritty, and mature Final Fantasy game -- that may be based on a real-rear end war -- is still about high schoolers.

The Valkyria Chronicles series pulled this poo poo in VC2.

Not that the VC series had an exceptional story, though.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The best character in VC2 dies like halfway into the game, which is why VC2 can never compare to the first.

Gologle posted:

FF6 doesn't deserve a spot on my games shelf, but it might make a good coaster for my drink.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

Himuro posted:

Despite the characters not all being of age, I still really liked XII's cast. Even though she's a teenager, Ashe doesn't ACT like a teenager.

Basch is 36 and is the main character :colbert:

gently caress Vaan

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Joke's on you, Sakaguchi, I did buy FFVI!

...Well my dad bought it, but I was 4 and I bought almost every rerelease since then!

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Gologle posted:

I did!

The PSX version. :smith:

(And maybe I would've bought the Snes version if they'd bothered to release it in Europe.)

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

TARDISman posted:

Joke's on you, Sakaguchi, I did buy FFVI!

Me too!

For five bucks out a pre-owned bin :v:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Himuro posted:

Despite the characters not all being of age, I still really liked XII's cast. Even though she's a teenager, Ashe doesn't ACT like a teenager.

Ashe is great because she was a pretty typical fairytale princess by all accounts but then she was forged into the character we see in the game by the flames of war and rebellion. She had to grow up fast which makes her seem more mature yet also more fragile. Quite frankly, I would say XII does PTSD better than VIII. (that's faint praise I know but really, that PTSD thing is all VIII has going for it and even then it's a totally overlooked and underdeveloped plot point)

I honestly do consider XII one of my favorite FFs but out of the hero cast Ashe is the only character I truly like and I wish she got more attention. Her and Cloud are my favorite FF main protagonists.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 3, 2014

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

Me too!

For five bucks out a pre-owned bin :v:

My dad basically only bought FFVI that year, and when he bought it I think he waited until he had a 10 buck off coupon so it was only $70 instead of $80.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I bought FFVI new, from a Toys-R-Us that was a 45 minute drive away, because they were the only one that had it in stock and my parents were apparently really impressed I managed to save up like 14 weeks allowance for it. I regret nothing.

Also, four pages back but no one else made the suggestion:

Pesky Splinter posted:

More hosed-up, horrifying, Lovecraftian end bosses would be swell. There's only so many twelve winged, one-winged angels a guy can take.
Try Etrian Odyssey. The final (post-game) boss is nearly always something eldritch and tentacle-y. Not an angelic boss to be see! Thoughg Ur-Child had a few wing-like protrusions I guess? And also you spend most of the game getting curbstomped by Bambi and frolicking butterflies, but the recommendation stands.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Rangpur posted:

Try Etrian Odyssey. The final (post-game) boss is nearly always something eldritch and tentacle-y. Not an angelic boss to be see! Thoughg Ur-Child had a few wing-like protrusions I guess? And also you spend most of the game getting curbstomped by Bambi and frolicking butterflies, but the recommendation stands.

In a similar vein, if you're a fan of bizarre monsters in general, you should play the Shadow Hearts series.

(You should play them anyway because they're good games)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That Rage Monster has a huge dick

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I have bought VI three times and Sakaguchi still tries to hurt my feelings. :smith:

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I always forget how deeply strange Shadow Hearts gets. Speaking of dead franchises overdue for a comeback... Are they even available on PSN?

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Rangpur posted:

I always forget how deeply strange Shadow Hearts gets. Speaking of dead franchises overdue for a comeback... Are they even available on PSN?

Nope. Those games (in particular the first one) have some really weird stuff going on in the graphic coding, which makes emulation of them kind of a pain.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Not to mention the company that owns the rights has no interest in video games, iirc.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
A large reason you see Japanese game developers target this young audience is because those demographics are most likely to purchase console games and become engaged by them. By engagement, I mean consumers who not only purchase the game but also take part in the community surrounding the game and trans-media promotion (merchandising!) of the game. When Japanese gamers enter college and the workforce, the level of engagement typically declines and many of them stop playing games altogether. This is okay for games aimed towards a niche audience but big budget games need to attract a large and active audience.

In a past interview, Kitase talked about the Final Fantasy audience is sort of a moving target. Their target demographic eventually age out and will they have to target younger consumers with newer games. It's why they pay attention to latest trends, such as in fashion and music, so they can incorporate these elements into their games. So there is a divide between younger Japanese audience and older Western audiences in what they expect from an RPG.

It's part of the reason why Nintendo made a big push towards lapsed gamers through the Wii and DS. They saw that a lot of people, especially in Japan, were concerned with entry barriers for gaming since they just didn't have the time to learn a how to play games. So they created intuitive controls, approachable gameplay, and sold them at budget prices. In Japan, we've kind of arrived at the natural end point with F2P mobile games. There isn't a cheaper price of entry than free, there isn't a more intuitive control method than touch, and there isn't a simpler game play loop than match three pieces so you get a token for the gashapon machine.

Rangpur posted:

Come to think of it, there was an ESRB listing for Suikoden 2 back in April but it ended up being a false alarm. An American Konami employee said it was a ROI issue.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Endorph posted:

Not to mention the company that owns the rights has no interest in video games, iirc.

There's that, too. (It's still owned by Universal Entertainment Corporation, AKA Aruze, but they haven't published anything for 9 years.)

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Butt Ghost posted:

I love how this apparent dark, gritty, and mature Final Fantasy game -- that may be based on a real-rear end war -- is still about high schoolers.

Reminds me of Valkyria Chronicles, which was based on World War 2, including actual concentration camps... but also had a cute animal mascot and a loving beach episode.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

that pig was cool though.

Also VC wasn't that serious.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Rangpur posted:

Saigyouji posted:

Nope. Those games (in particular the first one) have some really weird stuff going on in the graphic coding, which makes emulation of them kind of a pain.

Endorph posted:

Saigyouji posted:

There's that, too. (It's still owned by Universal Entertainment Corporation, AKA Aruze, but they haven't published anything for 9 years.)
Let's all chip in and buy the rights to Shadow Hearts.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Cake Attack posted:

that pig was cool though.

Also VC wasn't that serious.

Exactly, and neither will this game be. It will feature ~*grimdark realism*~ and anime bullshit, horribly juxtaposed in such a way that both fall flat.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Himuro posted:

For the converse of that, Edge from FF4 acts like a stupid teenager, but he's actually the oldest character in the final party at 26. Which means he's 43 (and still single) in The After Years, which is kinda weird to think about.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Butt Ghost posted:

Let's all chip in and buy the rights to Shadow Hearts.
poo poo, they'd probably give us them if we asked nicely.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Supposedly they're really unwilling to relinquish rights, which makes me sad.

It's one of the reason I never get why people go "backwards compatibility isn't that important!" that and Valkyrie Profile Silmeria both emulate like rear end and they're niche enough it'll be forever before anyone gets around to figuring it out. :smith:

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Sunning posted:

A large reason you see Japanese game developers target this young audience is because those demographics are most likely to purchase console games and become engaged by them. By engagement, I mean consumers who not only purchase the game but also take part in the community surrounding the game and trans-media promotion (merchandising!) of the game. When Japanese gamers enter college and the workforce, the level of engagement typically declines and many of them stop playing games altogether. This is okay for games aimed towards a niche audience but big budget games need to attract a large and active audience.

In a past interview, Kitase talked about the Final Fantasy audience is sort of a moving target. Their target demographic eventually age out and will they have to target younger consumers with newer games. It's why they pay attention to latest trends, such as in fashion and music, so they can incorporate these elements into their games. So there is a divide between younger Japanese audience and older Western audiences in what they expect from an RPG.

Why is it mostly a RPG thing? You see older main characters in other genres all the time. Silent Hill, Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil (Chris Redfield is 40 now), Castlevania, even Mario.

Do they take into consideration at all that Western youth wants older characters too? I never remember a time being a teenager where everyone only wanted to watch other teenagers. The only casts of teens in popular movies I can remember from when I was a teen were usually just characters that we all rooted against in horror movies. Even as a kid, I mainly liked and remember other kids liking Indiana Jones, James Bond, Batman, Hulk Hogan, Rambo, Star Trek, Star Wars, Ghostbusters, etc.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

'do they take into consideration that west-'

No.

The answer is no.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Japanese games are made in a loving bubble unless their name is Nintendo or Capcom... even those have trouble sometimes.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

ImpAtom posted:

Supposedly they're really unwilling to relinquish rights, which makes me sad.

I hate to be a downer about Shadow Hearts, but would anyone even be willing to buy the rights or make anything with them if they were given out? I can't really see anyone picking up that franchise and doing anything with it, which really is a shame because it was kind of wonderful.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Sunning posted:

It's part of the reason why Nintendo made a big push towards lapsed gamers through the Wii and DS. They saw that a lot of people, especially in Japan, were concerned with entry barriers for gaming since they just didn't have the time to learn a how to play games. So they created intuitive controls, approachable gameplay, and sold them at budget prices. In Japan, we've kind of arrived at the natural end point with F2P mobile games. There isn't a cheaper price of entry than free, there isn't a more intuitive control method than touch, and there isn't a simpler game play loop than match three pieces so you get a token for the gashapon machine.

Anyone else notice the giant pink elephant in the room?

1. Less and less young people are buying Final Fantasy games.
2. Final Fantasy game sales are plummeting.
3. They aren't appealing to old fans despite the lack of new fans.

Seems counterproductive. Especially given that franchises like Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter try to appeal to both new and old fans alike, and their sales aren't tanking and are still exceedingly relevant in Japanese gaming. The same can't be said about Final Fantasy. Going after trends is the opiate of art (yeah, we're talking about games, and I don't wanna get into that but you get my point). So if they've pissed off older fans and younger players on both sides of the ocean could not give two fucks about Final Fantasy who is left to buy Final Fantasy games? Especially since it's taking entire decades to release new entries these days? I was a bloody sophomore in college when Versus was announced, and now I'm two years away from thirty. Laughable.

Endorph posted:

'do they take into consideration that west-'

No.

The answer is no.

The funny thing about this is that FFVII, VIII, and X had western appeal and they're the highest selling entries in the franchise. S-E really needs someone like Sakaguchi again. Gooch has an admiration and obsession with western culture, and has his finger on the pulse of relevant western culture and trends. He realized that FF can't live within a bubble. Ever since Sakaguchi left it feels like they care less and less about their western audiences in exceedingly faster rates year over year.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

I hate to be a downer about Shadow Hearts, but would anyone even be willing to buy the rights or make anything with them if they were given out? I can't really see anyone picking up that franchise and doing anything with it, which really is a shame because it was kind of wonderful.
The development team has spread to all corners of the globe, metaphorically speaking. Some wound up at Mistwalker and some wound up at Marvelous, and probably random other places.

It didn't sell that well anyway, considering that, y'know, the company went out of business. I just can't see there ever being a revival, and you know what? That's okay with me. I'm fine with them just being these three (four if you wanna count Koudelka) weird JRPGs on the PS2. I don't need Shadow Hearts 2-2: Yuri Returns