Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Cichlidae posted:

Yeah, I was telling a friend about that the other day. Depending on how the conflict monitor is set up, it would be trivial to either completely buttfuck a city's roads for a while or cause thousands of (potentially fatal) accidents. I'm surprised foreign governments haven't gone after traffic signal systems, honestly. It seems like extremely valuable sabotage.

That's probably the only good thing about Tampa's traffic grid... we don't use ATMS yet, and we setup TSP for our BRT network on private fiber instead of wireless. Still hackable, but you can kill the outside internet connection to prevent access.

Varance fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Aug 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Cichlidae posted:

Yeah, I was telling a friend about that the other day. Depending on how the conflict monitor is set up, it would be trivial to either completely buttfuck a city's roads for a while or cause thousands of (potentially fatal) accidents. I'm surprised foreign governments haven't gone after traffic signal systems, honestly. It seems like extremely valuable sabotage.

Is it sad that I kinda want to go around hacking cities lights and making them work better.

Also would this work to get the Cleveland Healthline BRT's priority signal turned on again?

Communist Zombie fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Aug 21, 2014

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Communist Zombie posted:

Is it sad that I kinda want to go around hacking cities lights and making them work better.

Also would this work to get the Cleveland Healthline BRT's priority signal turned on again?

I suppose that depends on why they turned it off in the first place! Do you have an article or something?

And it's not sad at all. There are so many mis-timed signals around here, and around the country. They're supposed to be re-timed every 2 years, but almost nobody has the engineers to spare.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Cichlidae posted:

I suppose that depends on why they turned it off in the first place! Do you have an article or something?

And it's not sad at all. There are so many mis-timed signals around here, and around the country. They're supposed to be re-timed every 2 years, but almost nobody has the engineers to spare.

The city council controls the signal timing, not the transit authority, and bigwigs were angry that they had to wait a few minutes for a ~*bus*~.

The Ridiculous Politics That Slow Down America’s Best BRT Route

Streetsblog posted:

The Plain Dealer reported in 2010 that it takes an average of 44 minutes to travel the seven miles from downtown’s Public Square to East Cleveland. That’s only three minutes faster than the bus line it replaced, and more than ten minutes off the 33-minute pace that project planners promised. Despite some tweaking around the margins, not much has changed since 2010, according to sources familiar with the project.

The frustrating thing is that the Healthline could easily run faster. But the city of Cleveland simply hasn’t activated the transit priority technology for most of the route, according to advocates.

“We all know it takes 10 more minutes than it should because of the light issue,” said Marc Lefkowitz of GreenCityBlueLake, a Cleveland-based environmental think tank that has been active in trying to resolve the issue.

John McGovern, current chair of RTA’s Citizen’s Advisory Board, said shortly after the Healthline began operating, the city turned off the transit priority technology for most of the traffic signals.

“I recall hearing a line from the city that ‘important people in cars’ were pissed that they had to wait for a bus to make their left turn into work,” he said. “The city’s course of action was to turn off all the expensive sensors so one man could control the whole thing so as to be accountable to the needs of these very important people.”

Brad Chase, one of Lefkowitz’s former co-workers at GreenCityBlueLake, made it a personal project years ago to try to resolve the signal timing issue. The effort resulted in a news article and several meetings with city staff but little progress, he said. Ultimately, the city chose to leave signal timing to two officials in its traffic division: Andy Cross, a traffic engineer, and Rob Mavec, commissioner of traffic engineering and streets. (Mavec did not respond to requests for an interview for this story.)

Cross and Mavec reportedly toyed with the signal timing to an extent. They lengthened the green phase on Euclid and shortened the turn phases and crosswalk phases. Since 2010, the city has also raised the speed limit for buses on Euclid Avenue from 25 to 35. But for the most part, the signal technology that RTA and the Federal Transit Administration paid for has been deactivated, according to advocates and a public official with knowledge of the situation who asked to remain anonymous.

“In [the city's] minds, there was never a need for this complicated system in the first place, and things seem to be running pretty smoothly, ridership is up, RTA isn’t really complaining, so why make it more complicated?” said Chase

Would a Title IV (administrative) suit/complaint have any traction? Since its clearly discriminatory and doesnt have a 'will of the people' fig leaf or anything.

Communist Zombie fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Aug 21, 2014

LeadSled
Jan 7, 2008

So I've been spending a lot of time in northern New Jersey on business over the last four months, and I've been amazed at how bad much of the road design is. Traffic circles with stop lights, no lane markers on multi lane roads, lovely signage, and so on.

In fact the only thing I've been impressed with are the near total lack of cloverleaf exits. Is the rest of the northeast as bad, or is it another example of Jersey being a shithole?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
All of that is the result of growth gone too far and lacking money to replace it. There used to be a lot more traffic circles and circles with stoplights, but they're all gradually being replaced with grade separated interchanges and in some rare cases simple surface traffic light intersections.

I don't know where the heck you are that there's no cloverleafs in north Jersey though, literally the home of the cloverleaf.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD
It's amazing the lengths we'll go to in order to avoid taking a single (non-historical) building. It's kinda hosed up, really: we're willing to leave in a substandard curve (current sight distance is only good for ~40mph) just to avoid one building, and instead, we'll be surrounding it with ramps and railroads so it's practically inaccessible. Just so happens that curve's in the top 100 most dangerous spots on the state road network.

What's the point? I get that property takes are tricky, but it's an old, lovely apartment building, and I bet the landlord would LOVE us to take it off his hands. Engineers 40 years from now are going to be looking back on our decision and saying, "what the hell were they thinking?"

There aren't too many ethical issues on this project (yet), and this is a relatively minor one, as far as things go. I just hope the solution we come up with is the best one for the common good...

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah I've heard a lot of lamenting from planners that the (deserved) backlash against "urban renewal" and blasting highways through neighbourhoods using ED has swayed things so much the other way that we have a "tragedy of the anti-commons" where politicians and planners are so terrified of even thinking about taking a few feet of someone's property, let alone a building, lest they look like Moses ripping up the city.

I mean that's fair enough to an extent, but then you have these same planners not planning ahead. Like if you know you're always going to be way too scared to ever use ED powers to get poo poo done then maybe actually plan and secure those right of ways for the future?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah I've heard a lot of lamenting from planners that the (deserved) backlash against "urban renewal" and blasting highways through neighbourhoods using ED has swayed things so much the other way that we have a "tragedy of the anti-commons" where politicians and planners are so terrified of even thinking about taking a few feet of someone's property, let alone a building, lest they look like Moses ripping up the city.

Yeah, I mean you route one interstate viaduct through black neighborhoods, and suddenly Congress is passing the National Environmental Policy Act and making you do Environmental Assessments every time you propose to tear down a building.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I wonder if they are just worried about eminent domain lawsuits dragging on and killing the schedule.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

smackfu posted:

I wonder if they are just worried about eminent domain lawsuits dragging on and killing the schedule.

Only the people whose property is being acquired can bring a lawsuit, right? So in the above case of a landlord who might actually want to sell the property, it's not like the neighbors could make a stink about it? For that matter, if the person agrees to sell it's not exactly using eminent domain, is it?

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Devor posted:

Yeah, I mean you route one interstate viaduct through black neighborhoods, and suddenly Congress is passing the National Environmental Policy Act and making you do Environmental Assessments every time you propose to tear down a building.

Robert Moses proposed putting I-84 through the slums, but even back in the 60s we didn't want to deal with the social backlash... so we put it through the CBD instead. The 'viaduct' part is built on top of the railroad tracks and Park River.

We're not even worried about eminent domain - the property owner would probably want to sell because the alternative is being surrounded by freeway and rail (and the Busway). It's just the public backlash of taking one or two properties for a 5 billion dollar freeway project in the middle of a city.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Grundulum posted:

Only the people whose property is being acquired can bring a lawsuit, right? So in the above case of a landlord who might actually want to sell the property, it's not like the neighbors could make a stink about it? For that matter, if the person agrees to sell it's not exactly using eminent domain, is it?

I'm thinking of the situation where he does want to sell, but the negotiations drag on-and-on because his price is too high, so the state has to eminent domain it, but then he files a lawsuit to get more money, and a year or two passes.

I think the state is pretty restricted on overpaying market price for land they need, which complicates things.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

"Why did this do this to my road???" question.

The road I live on, and thus drive on a lot is fairly wide. No bike lanes but it's wide and quiet enough that there's more than enough room. It also means at intersections there's naturally enough room for a right turn lane. In one such instance my road crosses a busy 1-way road that also sees a lot of pedestrians crossing. So people turning right onto the one-way would line up along the right so that they could turn when safe on a red, and not hold up traffic behind them when the light turns green but there's peds in the way.

Recently the city added a huge yellow apron thingy to force the intersection to stay single lane. The area now sees cars lined much much farther back, often blocking the side street with a busy fast food restaurant.

Why would they do this? Did they not like that drivers were automatically using some common sense and dividing them selves into straight/right ? Because it was "unofficial" was there a risk of people going to the right then going straight and hitting cars on their left? Make space for bikes? I don't get it, the intersection worked very well.

Here's the area:
http://goo.gl/maps/JHvJo

Seems more than wide enough for them to have put in a little 2-3 car capacity right turn lane. But now a single car turning right can block the entire light cycle for everyone behind them if pedestrian traffic is high.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Baronjutter posted:

"Why did this do this to my road???" question.

The road I live on, and thus drive on a lot is fairly wide. No bike lanes but it's wide and quiet enough that there's more than enough room. It also means at intersections there's naturally enough room for a right turn lane. In one such instance my road crosses a busy 1-way road that also sees a lot of pedestrians crossing. So people turning right onto the one-way would line up along the right so that they could turn when safe on a red, and not hold up traffic behind them when the light turns green but there's peds in the way.

Recently the city added a huge yellow apron thingy to force the intersection to stay single lane. The area now sees cars lined much much farther back, often blocking the side street with a busy fast food restaurant.

Why would they do this? Did they not like that drivers were automatically using some common sense and dividing them selves into straight/right ? Because it was "unofficial" was there a risk of people going to the right then going straight and hitting cars on their left? Make space for bikes? I don't get it, the intersection worked very well.

Here's the area:
http://goo.gl/maps/JHvJo

Seems more than wide enough for them to have put in a little 2-3 car capacity right turn lane. But now a single car turning right can block the entire light cycle for everyone behind them if pedestrian traffic is high.

It's because of how the lanes line up. The through traffic needs to be all the way to the right, otherwise they would tend to drive straight into the oncoming left turn lane.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Devor posted:

It's because of how the lanes line up. The through traffic needs to be all the way to the right, otherwise they would tend to drive straight into the oncoming left turn lane.

Worked without incident for a very long time some how. People would just go around people stopped waiting to turn right. The accidents would often happen a bit to the right at the McDonald's Parking lot. Driving around there I could always tell if someone was a lovely awful driver they were invariably heading to McDonalds.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Baronjutter posted:

Worked without incident for a very long time some how. People would just go around people stopped waiting to turn right. The accidents would often happen a bit to the right at the McDonald's Parking lot. Driving around there I could always tell if someone was a lovely awful driver they were invariably heading to McDonalds.

It only takes one complaint or accident caused by something done the wrong way in order to get someone to fix it. Making it "correct", but less efficient, is less liability for the traffic engineer in charge of that area.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD
With a normal four-way intersection, it is a lot safer the way they've striped it. Having an "unofficial" second lane is a huge hazard to an opposing car turning left. In this case, since the cross street is one-way, it's not quite as dangerous. There aren't as many conflict points and there aren't opposing left turns that could conceal a through vehicle.

You'd have to do a full cost/benefit analysis to figure out whether it was worth doing, but typically, even the very remote possibility of an expensive accident significantly outweighs the delay costs you are guaranteed to incur. And we engineers love to be risk-averse when we can afford it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TemAwgUrWJc
Amazing video clearly showing improvements of some intersections to make them much safe.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I guess this rapid bridge construction stuff works.

Initial 2012 local bridge replacement news release:

quote:

Work is anticipated to begin in the spring of 2014 and be completed in the fall of 2015. The replacement of this bridge is to be undertaken with Federal-aid funds. The estimated construction cost for this project is $2,000,000.
http://www.ct.gov/dot/cwp/view.asp?A=2135&Q=493714

Eventual plan:

quote:

The project consists of the replacement of Bridge No. 02190 using a rapid construction technique to compress the time to 68 hours for replacement of the structure due to the high traffic volumes in the area and the associated inconvenience of long duration stage construction used in typical bridge replacement projects. ... DOT Project No. 0082-0298 was awarded to J. Iapaluccio, Inc. of Brookfield at a cost of $1,652,051.35. The project is being administered by the District 1 Office of Construction in Rocky Hill and is scheduled for completed in November 2014.
http://www.ct.gov/dot/cwp/view.asp?a=2135&Q=552066

On the other hand, it's pretty depressing that replacing this particular bridge costs millions of dollars, since it's a 16' bridge that you don't even notice when you drive over, and there are thousands of those around here.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Maybe this was asked and answered somewhere in the long, lengthy history of this thread, but:

Question: What do you consider to be an effective way of marking, and even place, left or right turn only lanes?

I live in Massachusetts, and moving from Rhode Island this was one of the worst changes. The only markers here for left turn only lanes seems to be a left turn only arrow right at the end of the lane, that you can't see until you're on top of it because there are cars in front of you, and along with our super-crappy rotaries seems to cause no end of near-collisions or actual collisions as people desperately don't want to go in the direction the lane wants them to.

This is the absolute worse in my area:
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4257439,-71.0676427,135m/data=!3m1!1e3

This is a two line road, heading north, that has a right turn only lane in the 100 foot stretch between the first and second light, and then a left turn only lane before the second light. This means that if you want to go straight, you actually have to switch lanes inside the intersection.

This IS actually a bad design, right, and it's not just me?

But I don't even know what a good design would look like here, with everything so cramped. But I assume there has to be a less stupid way to do this sort of thing?

Is putting "left turn only" indicators on the road, after it's too late to leave the lane, actually considered good policy for some reason? Does the solid white line actually mean you aren't supposed to leave the lane?

I actually miss Rhode Island roads, compared to my Boston Suburbs roads they seem so much better.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 2, 2014

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

GlyphGryph posted:

Maybe this was asked and answered somewhere in the long, lengthy history of this thread, but:

Question: What do you consider to be an effective way of marking, and even place, left or right turn only lanes?

I live in Massachusetts, and moving from Rhode Island this was one of the worst changes. The only markers here for left turn only lanes seems to be a left turn only arrow right at the end of the lane, that you can't see until you're on top of it because there are cars in front of you, and along with our super-crappy rotaries seems to cause no end of near-collisions or actual collisions as people desperately don't want to go in the direction the lane wants them to.

This is a two line road, heading north, that has a right turn only lane in the 100 foot stretch between the first and second light, and then a left turn only lane before the second light. This means that if you want to go straight, you actually have to switch lanes inside the intersection.

But I don't even know what a good design would look like here, with everything so cramped. But I assume there has to be a less stupid way to do this sort of thing?

Is putting "left turn only" indicators on the road, after it's too late to leave the lane, actually considered good policy for some reason? Does the solid white line actually mean you aren't supposed to leave the lane?

I actually miss Rhode Island roads, compared to my Boston Suburbs roads they seem so much better.

A lot of the time, things like this evolve organically over time and an engineer never really thought about how the system works together. You can try sending an email to the City with the complaint and suggestion (add another left turn arrow pavement marking) and they can tell you get lost directly to your face.

I coached my Mom through complaining about an issue, and she got a pavement marking and sign installed for a similar problem (left-only lane that you couldn't see in advance due to a hill blocking the sight line). It did take a year before they actually fixed it though.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
That's actually a good idea, thanks. I'm just always terrified going through there, because I either get stuck in the left lane or have to deal with someone trying desperately to get out of the left lane.

The distance from light to light is so incredibly short, though, that even if you made the whole thing left turn arrows, by the time you see them it's probably too late. Should I just lodge a general complaint, or is there something specific I should request like "Add a sign or something you can see before you get stuck in the lane"?

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

GlyphGryph posted:

Weird, I moved from Boston suburbs to Providence and find RI roads far worse. It might have something to do with the density--you're not talking about a suburban road per se but a road through the middle of a historic medium-density CBD. Compare downtown Malden to downtown Pawtucket, say, and the roads are probably of similar quality (Malden's actually denser than Pawtucket). Pawtucket center is quite confusing. And have you driven through Olneyville Square? I lived a few blocks away for a while and I don't think I've ever been in the correct lane on the first try.

I would say in urban centers road quality is hit or miss across southern NE (CT, MA, RI). But on rural/suburban roads, I find RI to be sub-par. Cross into RI on anything smaller than an interstate and you'll notice an immediate drop in road quality (even on some interstates, the MA border on I-195 comes into mind. But again that could be an artifact of density). Just the other day friends came over from near Hartford, and they all commented on the horrible potholes on Route 6 in Johnston just before you hit I-295. You could lose a wheel in them; not to mention that avoiding them causes you to cross over into the next lane.

I'll admit there are a lot of awkward lane choices in downtown areas but that's a constant everywhere I've driven.

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 2, 2014

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

GlyphGryph posted:

That's actually a good idea, thanks. I'm just always terrified going through there, because I either get stuck in the left lane or have to deal with someone trying desperately to get out of the left lane.

The distance from light to light is so incredibly short, though, that even if you made the whole thing left turn arrows, by the time you see them it's probably too late. Should I just lodge a general complaint, or is there something specific I should request like "Add a sign or something you can see before you get stuck in the lane"?

It doesn't hurt to include what you think a reasonable remedy would be. If they're busy, they can think about it and say "yep" or "nope" or "here's what we should do instead, I understand what the problem is" a lot easier than if you say something nebulous.

Signs would be tricky because it would have to be something like "Left Lane Must Turn Left at XXX Road" placed on the previous traffic signal. I think adding another left turn arrow pavement marking would be a good idea.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I'm going to stop editing my post... on the topic of awkward lanes, how about US-6 east-bound between RI-10 and I-95? The left-most lane becomes right-exit-only in about 200m, meanwhile traffic is entering on your left.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Maybe. Could just be historical distance, I suppose! I do vaguely remember Pawtucket being bad, though.

I mostly drove in the area between Providence and South Kingston, though, especially Warwick, and I remember them being pretty good... but maybe that's a side effect of the much lower population density.

quote:

Signs would be tricky because it would have to be something like "Left Lane Must Turn Left at XXX Road" placed on the previous traffic signal. I think adding another left turn arrow pavement marking would be a good idea.
I'm not sure where you would put it though - the entire length of lane seems to be left turn only, so no matter where you would put it, it would mean you wouldn't know it's left turn only?

I guess there's not really an easy solution and that's why it's still the way it is.

Also, am I misunderstanding what the solid lines on turn-only lanes mean (i.e. that you should no longer switch lanes?)

Because I don't think I've ever seen a left turn only arrow occur in the greater boston area before the line turns solid.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

GlyphGryph posted:

I'm not sure where you would put it though - the entire length of lane seems to be left turn only, so no matter where you would put it, it would mean you wouldn't know it's left turn only?

I guess there's not really an easy solution and that's why it's still the way it is.

The problem is people don't realize it's a left turn lane until it's "too late" and thus they don't have time to change lanes. You fix this by communicating the change earlier, letting them make the maneuver or take the correct lane. For example, by putting a left turn arrow on the pavement close to the previous intersection, or adding a sign.

GlyphGryph posted:

Also, am I misunderstanding what the solid lines on turn-only lanes mean (i.e. that you should no longer switch lanes?)

Because I don't think I've ever seen a left turn only arrow occur in the greater boston area before the line turns solid.

Yes, that's the purpose. Don't cross solid lines. But people mostly ignore them and unless you were really obstructing traffic I wouldn't envision someone getting ticketed for ignoring it. Unless they caused an accident.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD
For advance lane use signs, there's a whole bunch about 'em in the MUTCD. Any municipality worth its salt will know what signs to put up.

SurgicalOntologist posted:

I'm going to stop editing my post... on the topic of awkward lanes, how about US-6 east-bound between RI-10 and I-95? The left-most lane becomes right-exit-only in about 200m, meanwhile traffic is entering on your left.

I made this diagram way back in the day:

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Yeah I didn't even mention the turns. Awesome diagram. The most dangerous spot on there is not even what I mentioned, it's the merge onto the I-95 S onramp (not sure what it's merging with... traffic from Memorial Blvd?). It's gotta be the right-most merge on the bottom of your diagram.

For those who don't know: here it is. The merge area is like 1.1 car lengths, and you come into it blind. I swear every time I drive through I almost have an accident. I'm always like "Oh, right there's a merge around the corner...Holy poo poo no we're merging right here...drat it's over thank god there wasn't a car coming the other way."

It's even worse now with construction going on, it's narrower and you can't see the other lane until it's too late. At least they have a sign "Warning: short merge area".

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Cichlidae posted:

With a normal four-way intersection, it is a lot safer the way they've striped it. Having an "unofficial" second lane is a huge hazard to an opposing car turning left. In this case, since the cross street is one-way, it's not quite as dangerous. There aren't as many conflict points and there aren't opposing left turns that could conceal a through vehicle.

You'd have to do a full cost/benefit analysis to figure out whether it was worth doing, but typically, even the very remote possibility of an expensive accident significantly outweighs the delay costs you are guaranteed to incur. And we engineers love to be risk-averse when we can afford it.

Yeah, the very pervasive tendency in BC (maybe all of Canada?) to create intersections with 2-3 "unofficial" lanes has never seemed especially safe to me.

It gets much, much worse when you include cyclists, and an (incorrect but pervasive) expectation that cyclists should always be to the far right, even when going straight or turning left. Four way stops become eight-way, and intersections end up with more possibilities for conflict than not.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

A Dutch town official sent a wrong paint colour code to the paint company.

As a result, some traffic islands in town have now been painted pink instead of white:

The town government's first reaction was "We're gonna get them changed to the normal colour within a few days". But today, a town official said that he got a whole lot of positive reactions to the change, so he's gonna find out whether it's possible to keep them this way.

===

In other news, need to get some potholes fixed? These Russians found a way to get them fixed real fast

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

It gets much, much worse when you include cyclists, and an (incorrect but pervasive) expectation that cyclists should always be to the far right, even when going straight or turning left. Four way stops become eight-way, and intersections end up with more possibilities for conflict than not.

Well, cycle lanes ought to be on the far right because it reduces conflicts and is safer, but that is often not the case in Canada and America.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlApbxLz6pA

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Kaal posted:

Well, cycle lanes ought to be on the far right because it reduces conflicts and is safer, but that is often not the case in Canada and America.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlApbxLz6pA

If you have a complete system of separated bike lanes, absolutely. But yeah, this is not the case almost anywhere in Canada and America. Also, that system works not by reducing conflicts, but by making them more visible and then relying on the fact that, in the Netherlands, motorists get into deep poo poo if they hit a cyclist. This is also not the case in Canada and America.

When cyclists are sharing the road with motorists, the only safe and legal way for cyclists to proceed through an intersection is in the correct lane for the direction they are travelling, and not in "inferred" or "unofficial" lanes.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Yeah I didn't even mention the turns. Awesome diagram. The most dangerous spot on there is not even what I mentioned, it's the merge onto the I-95 S onramp (not sure what it's merging with... traffic from Memorial Blvd?). It's gotta be the right-most merge on the bottom of your diagram.

For those who don't know: here it is. The merge area is like 1.1 car lengths, and you come into it blind. I swear every time I drive through I almost have an accident. I'm always like "Oh, right there's a merge around the corner...Holy poo poo no we're merging right here...drat it's over thank god there wasn't a car coming the other way."

It's even worse now with construction going on, it's narrower and you can't see the other lane until it's too late. At least they have a sign "Warning: short merge area".

Yup, it's the rightmost merge on my diagram. I find that spot as scary as anything, but at least you don't have to weave across 3 lanes of traffic to get on 195 anymore. That entire interchange is getting rebuilt in a few years. Maybe they'll be able to fix the perpetually jammed on-ramps to 95 NB.

Carbon dioxide posted:

A Dutch town official sent a wrong paint colour code to the paint company.

As a result, some traffic islands in town have now been painted pink instead of white:

The town government's first reaction was "We're gonna get them changed to the normal colour within a few days". But today, a town official said that he got a whole lot of positive reactions to the change, so he's gonna find out whether it's possible to keep them this way.

===

In other news, need to get some potholes fixed? These Russians found a way to get them fixed real fast

I read about the pink islands on Spiegel: http://www.spiegel.de/panorama/verkehrsinseln-in-rosa-falsche-farbe-im-niederlaendischen-wijchen-a-989673.html

On there, they say they're getting repainted later this week, but who knows? I think it's a lovely splash of color, especially since it's only some islands and not all of them.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Cichlidae posted:

I read about the pink islands on Spiegel: http://www.spiegel.de/panorama/verkehrsinseln-in-rosa-falsche-farbe-im-niederlaendischen-wijchen-a-989673.html

On there, they say they're getting repainted later this week, but who knows? I think it's a lovely splash of color, especially since it's only some islands and not all of them.

That was the municipality's initial reaction, but now they have received so many positive comments that they are keeping them, and have hired a local artist to spruce it up some more :unsmith:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

John Dough posted:

That was the municipality's initial reaction, but now they have received so many positive comments that they are keeping them, and have hired a local artist to spruce it up some more :unsmith:

I haven't heard about the artist part yet, do you have a source? (Dutch is fine)

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
http://www.volkskrant.nl/vk/nl/2686/Binnenland/article/detail/3736191/2014/09/03/Wijchen-behoudt-per-abuis-roze-geverfde-vluchtheuvels.dhtml

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
I'm staying in suburban Jakarta at the moment and my god the traffic infrastructure is so awful. I don't mind the driving style that much, but there are so many cars and the roads simply can't handle the volume. We left my cousin's house and not even a mile away we end up in traffic and there's till roughly 30km to our destination. I'll think twice before cursing the traffic back home in Antwerp. (but I still will because we're still the second most congested city according to INRIX)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Fragrag posted:

I'm staying in suburban Jakarta at the moment and my god the traffic infrastructure is so awful. I don't mind the driving style that much, but there are so many cars and the roads simply can't handle the volume. We left my cousin's house and not even a mile away we end up in traffic and there's till roughly 30km to our destination. I'll think twice before cursing the traffic back home in Antwerp. (but I still will because we're still the second most congested city according to INRIX)

It's been like 20 years since I visited Jakarta but I recall the traffic was awful then too. It's worse now I'm sure.