Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

blackswordca posted:

So an email came in:

"There are two seperate email accounts for the same thing, why is that? " has a screenshot of 'Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable' attached to the email

Okay now you're just making poo poo up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

blackswordca posted:

So an email came in:

"There are two seperate email accounts for the same thing, why is that? " has a screenshot of 'Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable' attached to the email

That's entrapment and you know it :colbert:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

MJP posted:

No reviews on Glassdoor.

Had a phone screen with the recruiter, scheduled an in-person.

The big kicker - my big question to her at the end. "Have any other IT people left for a lateral move? Could you talk a little bit about what they cited as a reason, if there's anything they said the company could improve on?"
Her response: "We actually had a sysadmin for six years, and we thought about him for the position. We ended up not considering him for it because he was kind of a day-to-day planner, he wasn't a go-to guy or technical leader."

They want someone who's as much a technical mentor for the team as an escalation point sysadmin. The other 50% is independent project guy, making sure stuff gets done.

I'll have to get back to her with some granular questions about the project expectations - because if they want a sole guy to do everything, I am not taking the bait. It's pretty telling that someone who's a "day-to-day planner" for six years doesn't merit consideration - I get that they want people to step up, but I'm wary of stepping up = sacrifice your life.

Salary expectations were about a $15k bump and no commute, and even though 401k doesn't kick in until one year of service, it's still a big chunk extra in take-home pay assuming the healthcare premiums stay the same.

It's tempting, but my last job was a hellzone of lost life because of huge project load and "stepping up." They're an out-at-5 kinda job but I'm sure that doesn't apply to IT.

We shall see, but I'll put together a follow-up asking for some details on the expectation of the day-to-day.

I would consider it but dig deeper, which is what you seem to want to do. I would probably bring up your concerns as far as work life balance goes and see what their opinions are.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Galler posted:

This is just for removing document protection as in preventing people from loving up a sheet or whatever. It doesn't bypass 2010's "encrypt with a password" protection.
Oh yeah. No one I support seems to know how to do the real encryption, so when I hear "password protected" I automatically think of the format-locking password.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

I would consider it but dig deeper, which is what you seem to want to do. I would probably bring up your concerns as far as work life balance goes and see what their opinions are.

To counter - would any reasonable employer ever tell a prospective candidate with a straight face "we expect that whatever comes through you will do it without hesitation, complaint, or issue" when someone expresses concerns about "stepping up" as the sole or primary determination of how someone's work output is judged?

I'm just really paranoid - my last job was a fairly large enterprise, around 2000 employees throughout the country, and a very large IT department. Fraught with politics - the destructive, Dilbertian kind - and "I need you to stay late tonight" just as I'm about to leave, so frequent due to said politics, combined with a serious Peter Principle boss. I'm at a 75-person operation now. Maybe I'm just trying to find a good reason not to leave a safe place where I'm happy, despite its failings.

Anyway, back on topic. A sleep apnea co-worker came in...

...and snored loud enough that it vibrated the floor slightly. Felt it through my feet. Poor guy, he nods off at least once a day, sometimes way more. Fortunately it's quiet enough that no harm is done by letting him do so, but I just hope someone doesn't walk up to see him like that. Wouldn't look good.

Edit:
From the HR person: "our environment is business professional."

Tie every day?

Would it be stupid to reply asking "by business professional, are we talking that the day-to-day requirement is jacket and tie?"

MJP fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 3, 2014

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

MJP posted:

Edit:

Tie every day?

Would it be stupid to reply asking "by business professional, are we talking that the day-to-day requirement is jacket and tie?"

In my experience business professional is long sleeved shirt, tie, dress pants, not khakis, and normally a jacket but your company may vary.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

blackswordca posted:

In my experience business professional is long sleeved shirt, tie, dress pants, not khakis, and normally a jacket but your company may vary.

Yikes. I'm avoiding that like the plague - before this job I worked at two places that didn't allow casual Fridays (the first place didn't allow short sleeves ever) and you'd think it doesn't matter, but you miss jeans on Fridays.

I'm gonna reply tomorrow just to give a little space and time asking questions about project load and authority to delegate tasks, healthcare cost details (this is a dealbreaker... my wife's got a couple of pretty bad conditions and we blew through $2500 of FSA for the year by mid-May) and the jacket and tie question.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Maybe I'm an anomaly but I do enjoy nice business casual clothing, but only if the job pays me enough for me to warrant buying the good stuff.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

MJP posted:

Edit:

Tie every day?

"Hi! Can you please send me a copy of the employee handbook / benefits package details / dress code?"

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Just get a decent looking clip-on tie and you are probably fine.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
My current job is pretty darn casual. Nothing offensive, no shorts, no sandals. T-shirt and jeans is fine. I love it.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

FireSight posted:

Just get a decent looking clip-on tie and you are probably fine.

We don't need "tie chat, part deux", but you are not fine with a clip-on, ever.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

evol262 posted:

We don't need "tie chat, part deux", but you are not fine with a clip-on, ever.

"Dress for the job you want, not the one you'll end up with when you wear a clip on tie".

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'll never understand what people have against dressing like a grown-up.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Entropic posted:

The subsequent responsibilities.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Entropic posted:

I can't put it into words how much I want to punch whoever says this in the mouth any time I hear it.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

m.hache posted:

"Dress for the job you want, not the one you'll end up with when you wear a clip on tie".

This is why I wear my batman suit to work.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Entropic posted:

Ties are the devil and a dress code will always be the dealbreaker for me with jobs. I have managed to stay with companies who don't give a poo poo about dress code, but do care about personal hygiene. I find the second part is much more important.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Jesus christ i'm sorry I started the tie chat so can you guys stop being so pig-headed about it now? The conversation has gone from "ah, i keep forgetting how to tie my tie" to "why are you guys refusing to wear ties" in a thread where nobody has said they're refusing to wear one, they just don't like it.

Preferences are a thing, can we all move on?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
This is like the third thread I follow that has been derailed by arguments about clothing, what the gently caress?

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
Wear a formal kilt and you can skip the tie.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Entropic posted:

It's easier to get work done when you're cool and comfortable. You don't want layered dark clothing by a window in the summer when the office temperature's rising. It's pretty easy to understand.

A lot of people do better work later in the day or after eating, so allowing employees to come in at 9 instead of 7 and opening your cafeteria for breakfast has tangible benefits over asking why they can't wake up early like a grown-up, rely on coffee alone like a grown-up, and dress like a grown up.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Entropic posted:

Meh.

PCOS Bill posted:

I can't put it into words how much I want to punch whoever says this in the mouth any time I hear it.

This.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Ties are the devil and a dress code will always be the dealbreaker for me with jobs. I have managed to stay with companies who don't give a poo poo about dress code, but do care about personal hygiene. I find the second part is much more important.

...aaand this.

I discovered during my last gig that putting on slacks and a collared shirt because I have to destroys my soul faster than anything else. I called them my "poser clothes" because I felt like a corporate drone instead of the bright and shiny special snowflake that I know deep down that I am. I'll never say never, but I cannot imagine working for any company that forbids me wearing shorts, chuck taylors and my metallica T-shirt at my desk.

Now dressing up for a night on the town? Gimme that suit and tie, a nice steak and elegant cocktails, please.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Sep 4, 2014

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Entropic posted:

Goons/IT

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Alereon posted:

:siren:Putting the kibosh back on clotheschat:siren:

If you really want to talk about appropriate work attire there are probably threads for that, but only post in them if you can avoid being lovely and taking everything personally!

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
West coast IT does it like this:

East coast IT does it like this:

(No more loving clotheschat take it to YLLS if you want to post non-shittily about it)

Xequecal
Jun 14, 2005

dogstile posted:

I could totally get behind these jobs. I'll take 10 of them and 10 salary's please.

Are backups and restores really that easy? My dad runs the US operations of a German company. Their office only has five people so its not worth it to hire a fulltime IT person, but I'd guess overall about 10% of the total work hours in that office go towards restoring backups due to constant virus/malware problems. It's hard to screen those out when you have tons of legit clients that speak poor English and will actually send one sentence Engrish emails with a self extracting EXE attachment on a regular basis.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Xequecal posted:

Are backups and restores really that easy? My dad runs the US operations of a German company. Their office only has five people so its not worth it to hire a fulltime IT person, but I'd guess overall about 10% of the total work hours in that office go towards restoring backups due to constant virus/malware problems. It's hard to screen those out when you have tons of legit clients that speak poor English and will actually send one sentence Engrish emails with a self extracting EXE attachment on a regular basis.

It really does depend on what sort you're doing. Full backups are easy. Differential backups are a little more complicated from what i've heard, but I've never actually had to restore any of our differential backups so I don't know if that's different (feel free to tell me if you know).

Whenever I have to check backups are running, I check that the schedule is set to run, I check to see if it backed up last night and if they're really persistent I run one at that moment and stop it to see if it starts creating the file its supposed too. I also have a test system that I can restore things to, in case they're worried the backups that my company takes don't work.

Restoring takes a little bit longer, but its not complicated.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

dogstile posted:

It really does depend on what sort you're doing. Full backups are easy. Differential backups are a little more complicated from what i've heard, but I've never actually had to restore any of our differential backups so I don't know if that's different (feel free to tell me if you know).

Whenever I have to check backups are running, I check that the schedule is set to run, I check to see if it backed up last night and if they're really persistent I run one at that moment and stop it to see if it starts creating the file its supposed too. I also have a test system that I can restore things to, in case they're worried the backups that my company takes don't work.

Restoring takes a little bit longer, but its not complicated.

Here's an idea: do a test restore of one of the differentials.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

"Hi! Can you please send me a copy of the employee handbook / benefits package details / dress code?"

That's perfect. I phrased it like "I had a few granular questions about culture and dress code, which would be more expeditiously answered if I had a copy of the employee handbook - could I have a look at it?" and just sent.

After sleeping on it I think I'm about 80/20 in favor of staying at my current job. I'll be honest, the extra money and short commute would be great, but my gut digested the cultural bits and came up questioning.

Hell, a response came in already:

quote:

We can't distribute the handbook to non-employees, but our dress code is corporate, so most men wear slacks, collared shirt and tie, no suit.

Without adding to the dress code derail, NOPE.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

spankmeister posted:

Here's an idea: do a test restore of one of the differentials.

We have a guy specifically to do that, i'm not allowed to touch the differentials. Would have tested it already if I could. I'm not sure if you response was meant to be snarky or not.

E: Yes i'm aware that's weird. I'll probably try it at home.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Sep 4, 2014

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

dogstile posted:

We have a guy specifically to do that, i'm not allowed to touch the differentials. Would have tested it already if I could. I'm not sure if you response was meant to be snarky or not.

Why would anybody be allowed to touch one type of backup and not the other?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Sickening posted:

Why would anybody be allowed to touch one type of backup and not the other?

I'm not sure. If its a full backup, first line/second line can deal with it if they feel comfortable. If its differential it goes straight to third line as (and i'm quoting here) "it can get a bit weird".

The one second line guy who tried to just do it got an earful for even attempting, so i'm not bothering.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

dogstile posted:

I'm not sure. If its a full backup, first line/second line can deal with it if they feel comfortable. If its differential it goes straight to third line as (and i'm quoting here) "it can get a bit weird".

The one second line guy who tried to just do it got an earful for even attempting, so i'm not bothering.

I just don't even know what the gently caress "it can get a bit weird" would even mean in this scenario. Someone is just making poo poo up at this point.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Sickening posted:

I just don't even know what the gently caress "it can get a bit weird" would even mean in this scenario. Someone is just making poo poo up at this point.

I can't see why I couldn't do it, now that i've looked it up. Only thing I can see being that different is that they do it from the database instead. That makes sense, because only third line are allowed to touch the SQL database. That's our protocol here.

So the "it can get a bit weird" is more than likely the third line tech giving me the "because you're not allowed, gently caress off" response.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

dogstile posted:

Regularly testing your backups is a good idea, you don't want to wait until you're in a live situation to find out that your restore procedure doesn't actually work.

Plus it gives people who don't regularly handle backups a chance to learn the procedure, because you can be sure that the one time you lose a whole disk array is when your backup guy is on a six week wilderness excursion with no phone or internet access.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Collateral Damage posted:

Regularly testing your backups is a good idea, you don't want to wait until you're in a live situation to find out that your restore procedure doesn't actually work.

Plus it gives people who don't regularly handle backups a chance to learn the procedure, because you can be sure that the one time you lose a whole disk array is when your backup guy is on a six week wilderness excursion with no phone or internet access.

Oh i'm not saying we don't test our backups. While the backups only go to one guy most of the time, we have six third line guys who can all do the backups. We also have two internal systems guys who aren't allowed to take holiday at the same time. We're not in any danger of being stuck up poo poo creek without a paddle.

I'm just saying I only deal with one type. I assume its to split the workload and because i'm not high enough up the ladder for them to trust me to do anything in the database except to check replication.

I'm not arguing that it makes sense, i'm just saying I didn't have as much knowledge on differentials as I do for the other backup type. When the company trains people up to third line, they do walk them through a restore.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Sep 4, 2014

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

dogstile posted:

E: Yes i'm aware that's weird. I'll probably try it at home.

Haha that's hosed up.

Brb putting "Director of Differential Backups" on my linkedin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Most modern backup software will let you just pick a point in time and will automatically apply any necessary differential and/or incremental backups.

Some older stuff or if you do them manually, require that you restore things in order from oldest to newest starting with the full.

• Locked thread