Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Bobby Digital posted:

I saw one of these assholes with a Confederate flag on the shoulder of the 5 north of San Diego last year.

He had rear-ended a brand new Mercedes, driven by a black man.

I bet he loved his insurance rates going up to cover the repairs :allears:

Lol you think he was insured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

It's up to the municipality or water district.

I want to hear where Michael J. Beverage is on this issue.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

cheese posted:

Read this loving sentence. "Your honor, the sex was consensual. She totally nodded her head when I suggested we get it on. I know she says she was cowering in fear but she definitely "moved in closer" to me - that is consent!". This is an absolute disaster, will be totally unenforceable and do nothing but confuse the issue while ensuring the focus remains on technicalities of consent rather than a culture that encourages men to be aggressive creeps who use alcohol to wear down a woman so she will let him have sex with her.

Nope, you're wrong. This is a great bill, because it ensures that rape victims have an effective avenue of prosecution. Instead of getting into a he-said/she-said back and forth, prosecutors can identify the lack of affirmative consent and pursue a conviction. This doesn't fix rape culture and male sexual aggressiveness, but it isn't meant to. It provides specific help to rape victims and will hopefully serve to deter future rapes by establishing a bright line policy of explicit legal liability. Encouraging sexual partners to get explicit consent is a win for women and progressive culture.

Slobjob Zizek
Jun 20, 2004

Kaal posted:

Nope, you're wrong. This is a great bill, because it ensures that rape victims have an effective avenue of prosecution. Instead of getting into a he-said/she-said back and forth, prosecutors can identify the lack of affirmative consent and pursue a conviction. This doesn't fix rape culture and male sexual aggressiveness, but it isn't meant to. It provides specific help to rape victims and will hopefully serve to deter future rapes by establishing a bright line policy of explicit legal liability. Encouraging sexual partners to get explicit consent is a win for women and progressive culture.

This is not a criminal statute, just guidelines sent to schools. So, it's actually terrible, as it is further turning schools into kangaroo courts. Also, I'm not sure how this policy change will deter rapes or increase convictions. The "he said / she said" problem still exists.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
It just means that "she never said no" and "she said yes but was drunk and doesn't remember it" won't fly as defenses in disciplinary hearings. I don't understand how that could get anyone up in arms.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

GrumpyDoctor posted:

It just means that "she never said no" and "she said yes but was drunk and doesn't remember it" won't fly as defenses in disciplinary hearings. I don't understand how that could get anyone up in arms.

Because college "disciplinary hearings" are terrible and will remain terrible and these rules clarifications will not actually make them any less terrible. At least, that's my perspective.

I'm not against the rules changes, actually, because while I think they won't change anything, they at least reflect a basic recognition on the part of authorities that the status quo is unacceptable. And that's good, because college students are being sexually assaulted and raped at epidemic levels.

But what actually needs to happen is a very big and significant change in campus student culture, combined with a complete abandonment of the practice of college administrators and students engaging in mock trials which are terrible for victims, terrible for innocent students accused of things, and utterly ineffective at preventing or deterring victimizers. These disciplinary hearings are not conducted by professional judges or lawyers (or even unbiased arbitrators), but they have permanent affects on students' lives and futures.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 31, 2014

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Oakland Pride, ya'll. Come party and meet the candidates!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Forceholy posted:

Honestly, everything east of Ontario is pretty much Arizona at that point.

I must have missed when Arizona elected a gay schoolteacher to Congress.

This and "a bad driver was mean to me, therefore this entire town of hundreds of thousands of people is full of shitheads" is pretty loving funny.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

This and "a bad driver was mean to me, therefore this entire town of hundreds of thousands of people is full of shitheads" is pretty loving funny.

Riverside resident spotted.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Yeah, but it's hot and far away from the ocean, so Riverside still sucks.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Yeah, but it's hot and far away from the ocean, so Riverside still sucks.

Even if it was cooler and right on the beach, the freeways there are awful. Why did they allow people to develop right up against the freeways leaving no room for expansion?

God drat the 91 is so horrible :argh:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Expanding freeways never helps FYI.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Minarchist posted:

Even if it was cooler and right on the beach, the freeways there are awful. Why did they allow people to develop right up against the freeways leaving no room for expansion?

Maybe they thought that LA would actually develop a decent infrastructure and not keep adding lanes like morons for decades.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Only in the California thread would some doofus call a community an hour from the beach and whose average temperature high only breaks 90 during the summers as "hot and far from the ocean".

California - the state where the people living in some of the most beautiful country in America get rear end-hosed for housing and have to console themselves by looking down their noses at the places that are merely "good".

Edit: Like, this thread is indulging in the most boring area tribalism imaginable - the same kind of stupid chest-beating poo poo that Kevin and Bean have been doing for years with their "909" garbage - and the only reason I posted at all was because you literally have a guy in his mid-to-late thirties blaming the geographical area he was in at the time for a mean driver, and another guy saying that it's got the same political bent as Arizona. That's dumb, bad, stupid nonsense.

If you're going to engage in this chest-beating behavior, as somebody who has lived all over Southern CA and is married to someone from the Bay Area/Central Coast, here's my response: We get it. You think everyone that's not currently paying 2k a month for a shoebox at the beach is a dumb hick moron idiot who lives in a scorching dustbowl full of poo poo. Feel better now?

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 3, 2014

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Riverside and east is pretty close to Arizona politics though.

It's fairly amazing how fast you go from WeHo to people violently protesting immigrant children.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Only in the California thread would some doofus call a community an hour from the beach and whose average temperature high only breaks 90 during the summers as "hot and far from the ocean".
FWIW, you could live in Burbank and be "an hour from the beach" if you time it wrong. :colbert:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

California - the state where the people living in some of the most beautiful country in America get rear end-hosed for housing and have to console themselves by looking down their noses at the places that are merely "good".

Edit: Like, this thread is indulging in the most boring area tribalism imaginable - the same kind of stupid chest-beating poo poo that Kevin and Bean have been doing for years with their "909" garbage - and the only reason I posted at all was because you literally have a guy in his mid-to-late thirties blaming the geographical area he was in at the time for a mean driver, and another guy saying that it's got the same political bent as Arizona. That's dumb, bad, stupid nonsense.

If you're going to engage in this chest-beating behavior, as somebody who has lived all over Southern CA and is married to someone from the Bay Area/Central Coast, here's my response: We get it. You think everyone that's not currently paying 2k a month for a shoebox at the beach is a dumb hick moron idiot who lives in a scorching dustbowl full of poo poo. Feel better now?

Haha, are you for loving real? It was the most transparent joke imaginable.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

We get it. You think everyone that's not currently paying 2k a month for a shoebox at the beach is a dumb hick moron idiot who lives in a scorching dustbowl full of poo poo. Feel better now?

Yes.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
Is Oceanside a nice place? The only thing I can find against it is that the drive to anywhere sucks.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Pohl posted:

Is Oceanside a nice place? The only thing I can find against it is that the drive to anywhere sucks.

Yes and yes. Though when we were driving to San Diego we thought it was funny people were jogging next to this enormous industrial plant spewing smoke everywhere. Though that might've been San Diego now that I remember...

Also Riverside sucks. Riverdale rules.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Pohl posted:

It's coastal north county San Diego, so it's nice by definition.

Unfortunately, it's the town that's right up against the gates of Camp Pendleton, which means the economy is geared around supporting enlisted Marines. Lots of fast food and surplus shops and rowdy bars and payday lending and tattoo parlors (but oddly, not many strip clubs - I guess you have to go down to Kearny Mesa for that), which makes it one of the seedier and higher-crime parts of coastal north county. Plus, as you note, it's a hell of a long way away from anything else, with bad traffic.

It's relatively cheap for coastal north county, especially compared to Carlsbad and Del Mar and Leucadia and Encinitas, so if you want to live near the coast it's not a bad choice. Just realize there's a reason it's cheaper than those places.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
I'm sure this isn't the proper thread for that type of question, but it seemed like a good place for honest responses. Thank you.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Haha, are you for loving real? It was the most transparent joke imaginable.

Here's something truly real for you: there are actual, real people who would say what you said completely straight-faced.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Pohl posted:

I'm sure this isn't the proper thread for that type of question, but it seemed like a good place for honest responses. Thank you.

There's a thread for general discussion, too, including what parts are nice or not:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3556974

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

I have lived in Riverside since '89, I've lived in San Diego (born in La Jolla), Orange County, and LA County. My wife is from Sacramento. I think I have a stake in say when the truck drives here are dicks, not just one. I defend Riverside on a daily basis, I get it.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 3, 2014

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I have lived in Riverside since '89, I've lived in San Diego (born in La Jolla), Orange County, and LA County. My wife is from Sacramento. I think I have a stake in say when the truck drives here are dicks. No chest beating at all.

People who drive lifted trucks are dicks everywhere. :(

Edit: It got a big reaction because it's "the 909ing" of everywhere that isn't LA, OC, and SD. It's the very real attitude by some people that CA is a big shithole outside of the coast and not the reality that most of the non-desert parts of the state are a very decent place to live that puts 95% of the rest of the country to shame. CA is a great state and I freakin' love all of it, from Morro Bay to Blythe to Big Bear to Joshua Tree and beyond.

I just had a real life convo about this at a conference I attended in Irvine, so I admit I'm touchy as hell. Sorry if I'm being overbearing about it.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 3, 2014

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Right, it could be just that I spend most of my time commuting to Anaheim. I'm not sure if this freeway expansion is going to do anything, I'm already dropping coin on Fast Track for maybe 15 mins of less time, and now its starting to get congested itself. I think proper driver education would fix most of our highway problems.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Right, it could be just that I spend most of my time commuting to Anaheim. I'm not sure if this freeway expansion is going to do anything, I'm already dropping coin on Fast Track for maybe 15 mins of less time, and now its starting to get congested itself. I think proper driver education would fix most of our highway problems.

Toll lanes in LA are a huge joke, the idea is that we will convert the HOV lane to a revenue generator because people would much rather buy a stupid box with a switch that costs them money instead of just switch to the correct lane when they have passengers.

We know for sure(they did a study) that instead of improving traffic, they make it worse, because shockingly people don't like to pay money to drive. I'm pretty sure they lose the public money as well.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Californians are very strange about area codes. While there was a certain amount of prestige to the 212 code in NYC, nobody (or at least nobody worth talking to) cared. In the Bay area , people freak the hell out over having a non-bay area code, like you are some sort of crazy alien. I could understand that if they were locals reacting to gentrification or something but they are as native to the area as I am (not at all). It is a very strange sort of artificiality.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
I've only been living here 8 years or so but I've never met anyone who cared about them other than using them to determine where folks lived(562 for LGB, 310 for westside, etc).

Kevin and Bean are awful.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

909 sounds pretty cool though so people self-identified with it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Zeitgueist posted:

Kevin and Bean are awful.
Compared to the rest of the morning drive time folks, they're far and away a much nicer listen.
(Mainly because they make hay about their faults, and because their bits can go hideously awry every now and then).
Plus they speak the truth about the mudpeople.

As for trafficChat, I swear to god 90% of the problem is dickwads that turn a 65mph highway into a 20mph rubbernecker's paradise. The times I've seen a jam sprout up because some Lexus got dinged... :argh:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Shbobdb posted:

Californians are very strange about area codes. While there was a certain amount of prestige to the 212 code in NYC, nobody (or at least nobody worth talking to) cared. In the Bay area , people freak the hell out over having a non-bay area code, like you are some sort of crazy alien. I could understand that if they were locals reacting to gentrification or something but they are as native to the area as I am (not at all). It is a very strange sort of artificiality.

I've lived here most of my life and I've never met or heard anyone freak out or even comment on area codes.

I don't even have a home phone, and neither do many of my friends, so the area code of my cell phone just tells you where I was living in 2000 when I got a cell phone.

Whoever you met who "freaked the hell out" over area codes needs to :getout:. Get better friends or something.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Zeitgueist posted:

Toll lanes in LA are a huge joke, the idea is that we will convert the HOV lane to a revenue generator because people would much rather buy a stupid box with a switch that costs them money instead of just switch to the correct lane when they have passengers.

We know for sure(they did a study) that instead of improving traffic, they make it worse, because shockingly people don't like to pay money to drive. I'm pretty sure they lose the public money as well.

They're not really designed to reduce traffic, they're designed to generate revenue for the company which operates them, and for their bondholders. When they raised the tolls on the 91 expressway, the stated reason was because too many people were using the toll lanes, slowing traffic and causing customer complaints. It's a premium service, it's not supposed to make the filthy plebs' lives better.

Also don't forget that the TCA (toll roads agency) has a non-competition agreement with Caltrans, meaning Caltrans can't make any upgrades or improvements to the actual freeways that might take traffic off the toll roads. This was surely in the public's best interest, I'm sure.

Reztes fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 3, 2014

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Thing I learned in my urban planning class: widening freeways only encourages increased sprawl, which rapidly expands to consume the increased capacity. And often overshoots it, since large developments come online with buyers seeing capacity, only to have it consumed and then some when the development fills up.

You cannot solve the problems of congestion within a metro area by expanding the roads that least to its periphery. In fact you only make things worse.

Sixty years and most places still haven't learned that lesson.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Reztes posted:

They're not really designed to reduce traffic, they're designed to generate revenue for the company which operates them. When they raised the tolls on the 91 expressway, the stated reason was because too many people were using the toll lanes, slowing traffic and causing customer complaints. It's a premium service, it's not supposed to make the filthy plebs' lives better.

Also don't forget that the TCA (toll roads agency) has a non-competition agreement with Caltrans, meaning Caltrans can't make any upgrades or improvements to the actual freeways that might take traffic off the toll roads. This was surely in the public's best interest, I'm sure.

Oh I'm aware of that, however they sell the toll roads with the promise of traffic reduction.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

I've lived here most of my life and I've never met or heard anyone freak out or even comment on area codes.

I don't even have a home phone, and neither do many of my friends, so the area code of my cell phone just tells you where I was living in 2000 when I got a cell phone.

Whoever you met who "freaked the hell out" over area codes needs to :getout:. Get better friends or something.

I've lived in SF my entire life, and i have no idea what he's talking about either. Transplants...get off my lawn dry patch of dirt with your weird outsider behavior :argh:

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
What's an area code?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

If they widened out the 91 and 15 the developers would just build more tract houses and strip malls along the 15 corridor down to Temecula to clog it back up again. They've already bulldozed parts of Norco and built mini-malls and houses on former pastures and that's only going to get worse. One of the challenges of the Inland Empire, IMO, is that it desperately needs to increase density to help minimize sprawl and improve QoL but at the same time wants to offer large lots to attract home buyers. The two are mutually exclusive and the lack of a region-wide planning authority (as well as a lack of interest in any kind of high-density housing from the population or developers) has realistically crippled any chance to halt the sprawl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I was visiting Huntington Gardens and in the rare texts and old books museum (whatever it's actually called) there was this picture of surveyors in the '20s looking over some empty stretch of desert that would soon become Corona, CA, and they were all "Yep, let's put a city here" and I was just so mad at those dudes in their old-timey hats.