Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

VelociBacon posted:

Hey, I'm basically new to Zelda and want to play the best/newest one on wii-u. Is that skyward sword or wind waker? Thanks guys

Best one to play on the Wii-U is Wind Waker. Being able to use the gamepad to swap items is a great feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

VelociBacon posted:

Hey, I'm basically new to Zelda and want to play the best/newest one on wii-u. Is that skyward sword or wind waker? Thanks guys

Wind Waker HD is a good starting point but I'd check out A Link To The Past first on the eShop if you're interested in classic top down Zelda.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Kilometers Davis posted:

Wind Waker is the best but it's a GameCube remake.

Sounds like this is the popular opinion. Thanks guys!

Ps: gently caress motion controls

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

VelociBacon posted:

To be fair I found skyward sword to be very fun, and is one of my favprite zeldas. I also didn't have too much trouble with the motion controls. But man their idea to stylize the game based on watercolors was a terrible decision.

But yeah start with windwaker, pick up twilight princess cause it's great, then try skyward sword if you feel like it. I recommend the game, but I guess it isn't as popular as I thought.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

Actually this thread is full of big dumb babies who don't know how to hold a Wiimote. Skyward Sword is actually a much better game than Wind Waker in almost every aspect except for art style, and even then the HD remake actively sabotaged some of the coolest looking parts of Wind Waker.

More useful answer: It depends what you like about Zelda. If you like dungeons and puzzle solving, go with Skyward Sword. If you like exploring a big overworld and doing sidequests, you'll probably prefer Wind Waker. If you like combat, it depends on how patient you can be to learn Skyward Sword's motion controls (it takes five minutes but that requires more patience than most goons have I guess).

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

mancalamania posted:

More useful answer: It depends what you like about Zelda. If you like dungeons and puzzle solving, go with Skyward Sword. If you like exploring a big overworld and doing sidequests, you'll probably prefer Wind Waker. If you like combat, it depends on how patient you can be to learn Skyward Sword's motion controls (it takes five minutes but that requires more patience than most goons have I guess).

Honestly I've never beaten any Zelda (I think I got sorta far on a gameboy one) and haven't played one in the last 5 years. I play usually more involved strategy stuff and competitive shooters on PC and just want to see what all the Zelda love is about.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

More like it takes five minutes to learn how bad the motion controls are :colbert:

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Windwaker is the only good 3D zelda game (maybe majora's mask).

Gandalf21
May 17, 2012

Skyward Sword is the 2nd best Zelda game, behind only Majora's Mask.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Skyward Sword looks really good but plays like poo poo so you're wrong.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Actually, many people who enjoy Zelda combat hate Skyward Sword's combat because, to them, it's just a series of boring "puzzles" - commonly considered analogous with Simon Says. I enjoy the combat in Skyward Sword a fair bit, especially when it comes to beating the hell out of Demise by furiously waving around your right arm and rhythmically thrusting your left arm.

Other than that, Skyward Sword's "overworld" is grossly sparse, even though its main town is one of the best in the series and its inter-dungeon content is also fairly above the series average especially when compared to Ocarina of Time (if you enjoy mostly linear but generally interestingly-designed challenges, as I do). That said, it does, like any of the other games, like to pad a little bit, and its padding is some of the most atrocious because of how dowsing works. I'd say that Wind Waker offers at least a little more freedom, and, perhaps more importantly depending on who you are, a little more intrigue as you traverse the world. I also think that the quality-of-life changes made to WW in the Wii U version remove a fair number of issues with the game's pace, whereas you need a series of cheats to fix some of the issues with Skyward Sword's pace.

I also think that SS's artstyle is gorgeous, just... not at native resolution.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Twilight Princess has an apt acronym and should have never scored above a 7.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

OoT is boring as poo poo with ugly art direction and textures that made it look outdated on release.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Really dude if you've never zelda'd before get twilight princess. It's very solid and one of the better zelda games.

Skyward sword has some control issues, so you may not like that. Windwaker has the issue of its main land being a sea so everything is a boat ride. Yeah the hd update made that better, but it doesn't stop it from still being a huge boat ride.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Ah, the zelda cycle.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

OoT is boring as poo poo with ugly art direction and textures that made it look outdated on release.

You must not remember what games looked like when it came out.

Bobnumerotres posted:

Ah, the zelda cycle.

I liked Skyward Sword the first time I played it and still dislike Twilight Princess.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The answer is Link to The Past. It's always Link to The Past.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
The controls in Skyward Sword are fine, it's the unskippable tutorials Fi gives you every five seconds that's terrible.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Spacebump posted:

You must not remember what games looked like when it came out.

Like green and brown smeared poo poo. It was and boring and ugly even then. Metal Gear Solid came out the same year and looks amazing. Link to the Past had amazing art direction and more than 2 colors.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Like green and brown smeared poo poo. It was and boring. Link to the Past had amazing art direction and more than 2 colors.

Man, you can say a lot about TOOT but "it only had two colors" is hilariously inaccurate.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Mercury Crusader posted:

The controls in Skyward Sword are fine, it's the unskippable tutorials Fi gives you every five seconds that's terrible.

Oh my gosh yes, I forgot about that.

Also yeah Link to the Past is the best but I think the dude wants a 3d one.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Man, you can say a lot about TOOT but "it only had two colors" is hilariously inaccurate.

I forgot yellow snow piss. Apologies.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Sprite141 posted:

Oh my gosh yes, I forgot about that.

Also yeah Link to the Past is the best but I think the dude wants a 3d one.

A link between worlds then.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Why hasn't anybody recommended Zelda II?

I recommend Zelda II. It's a good game if you aren't a modern games baby.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Mercury Crusader posted:

Ironically, I think 90% of the issues people have with the gameplay is that the swinging mechanic is poorly explained and the Bokoblins' blocking mechanics gently caress with your intuition; not that the Wii Motion+ is unreliable.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Sep 3, 2014

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Like green and brown smeared poo poo. It was and boring and ugly even then. Metal Gear Solid came out the same year and looks amazing. Link to the Past had amazing art direction and more than 2 colors.

Two other big releases that came out around the time OoT was released. (Turok 2 and Tomb Raider III)

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Sep 3, 2014

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mercury Crusader posted:

Alright come on in no way is that a good recommendation for someone who "wants to see what the Zelda love is all about".

Literally every other Zelda would be a better first Zelda than that one.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Mercury Crusader posted:

Zelda II has nothing to do with the other zeldas, it is also bad.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

As much as I complain about it, I did quite like Skyward Sword. The dungeons and puzzles are mostly excellent, and I liked that each area before a dungeon was basically an open-air minidungeon.

The lack of overworld sucked, the art design was blah (and led to some terrible boss designs like the Imprisoned and that retarded squid thing), and Fi talked way too much, but overall there's a good game in there. The motion controls are easy once you learn them too. Just remember not to backswing. I'm pretty sure a lot of people's issues are caused by "winding up" or doing a short backswing when they go to swing, causing the remote to think you swung in the opposite direction that you meant to. Once I made an effort not to do that it all clicked.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Regy Rusty posted:

Alright come on in no way is that a good recommendation for someone who "wants to see what the Zelda love is all about".

Literally every other Zelda would be a better first Zelda than that one.

Cue the obvious joke here.

But yeah, the answer to 'what should someone try' regarding Zelda really comes down to specifics wants out of the experience, given how relatively varied they can be, despite common elements.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Link to the Past had amazing art direction and more than 2 colors.
no but I guess it looked okay

Mercury Crusader posted:

They're not tutorials, they're not hand-holding, they aren't anything. It's useless text that describes exactly what is going on and tells you basically nothing at all. As I mentioned before, Skyward Sword benefits from heavy usage of cheats. Turn off extraneous Fi text, bump up message speed, have Hero mode on first playthrough, and bring the flying speed up to "boost" speed, and you'll be good.

Someone playing Skyward Sword for the first time would also benefit from knowing already where the magical sacred water, windmill propellor, and silent realm gates are, because otherwise they're forced to dowse for these things, and you should absolutely never ever dowse (except like I dunno once or twice) when playing Skyward Sword because it is so horrifically boring.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I feel like Skyward Sword had the best last boss fight and ending of any Zelda game, but for someone new to Zelda I would also suggest Windwaker. If you enjoy that, then try the other Zelda games.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Spacebump posted:

Two other big releases that came out around the time OoT was released. (Turok 2 and Tomb Raider III)

Those are a bunch of images that look better than OoT.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Someone either sell me on or tell me to avoid Steamworld Dig which I just saw featured prominently on the eShop. My kneejerk reaction is to avoid because it mentions "randomly generated levels" and makes me think of Spelunky which I don't care for, but I thought I'd seek more knowledgeable opinions.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Did you ever play Motherload back in the day? It's like that, with a thin plot.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Chronojam posted:

Did you ever play Motherload back in the day? It's like that, with a thin plot.

Nope, I don't know what that is.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

RMZXAnarchy posted:

I got a copy when it came out because I was worried it'd be scarce. Now I have both S&P games and I've only played each once. :(

Play it you jerk. Star Successor is fun as heck

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

whaley posted:

Play it you jerk. Star Successor is fun as heck

Do people call it star successor? I call it secret star fox.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

After this shitstorm debate about which Zelda etc etc I went to Walmart and the fat lady with nicotine stained teeth who opened the locked cabinet thing to take it out for me (stocked right beside skyward) was like 'Oh yeah Zelda is a good game'. Hell yeah it is lady.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Regy Rusty posted:

Someone either sell me on or tell me to avoid Steamworld Dig which I just saw featured prominently on the eShop. My kneejerk reaction is to avoid because it mentions "randomly generated levels" and makes me think of Spelunky which I don't care for, but I thought I'd seek more knowledgeable opinions.

It's nothing like Spelunky, you dig and get resources/items to help you dig longer and more efficiently. There are a few boss fights... I don't think I'm doing the game justice as I really enjoyed it, some people think the game is too short. If I remember right I was around 4-5 hours, but if you just dig straight down you can probably finish it in 2 hours. The 3DS version didn't have much replay value, not sure if they added anything to the Wii U version.

• Locked thread