Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

iForge posted:

Was doing some electrical in a house today and came across this gem of a repair under the basement stairs. Yes that is a cracked stringer. Yes that is pipe strapping and a ton of self sealing sheet metal screws.

Oh good, i thought it was from an old erector set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Slanderer posted:

It took me a while to find it, but it was called VICTORY CITY! It was truly a brilliant idea--a 102 story, 3 square mile reinforced concrete wonderland! I just wrote up a big post in the failed thread I made in PYF for the purpose of collecting interesting poo poo like this:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3657842&pagenumber=1#post433854717

The funniest part is how he seems to think that people would want to live in such a place. It makes the Peach Tress Megablock from Judge Dredd seem like a cozy aging brownstone near a neighborhood pub.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
They were all the rage in the 70s. My city built something quite similar and then tore it down once they realized it was a dumb loving idea.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Crapper Construction Tales

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
That's amazing. I know I fantasize about having a 300 pound washing machine hanging over my head when I poo poo.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Washing machines are like 150lbs at most. Dryers are well under 100 iirc.

They're just big and dumb and annoying to move.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Cold water wash only, constant sewage smell from open plumbing stack, vibrating washing machine supported by 2 shelf brackets. What's not to love?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Also: You know how you'll always drop a few socks or underwear when loading/unloading a front loader? Now add a lack of a lid to the toilet into the mix. Hell just loading/unloading it will be a pain.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Aug 25, 2014

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

There's got to be a easier way to set up a gray water supply for your toilet. Like, a non-retarded way.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

NancyPants posted:

There's got to be a easier way to set up a gray water supply for your toilet. Like, a non-retarded way.

It's a fresh water supply?

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

kastein posted:

my washer is 4kg

:downsrim:

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Nitrox posted:

Then it's extra retarded with no redeeming quality

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Nitrox posted:

That has to be gray, why else have the fill on the top connecting to the washer.

I refuse to believe people are that stupid.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

kastein posted:

And they tend to vibrate and move around quite a lot when on the spin cycle (mine always tries to run across the room). That cant be good when on 2 small wall brackets. I'm assuming it is bolted to them - but I wouldn't like to trust them to stay intact or securely attached to the wall forever especially when i might be sitting under them!

ColHannibal posted:

That has to be gray, why else have the fill on the top connecting to the washer.

I refuse to believe people are that stupid.

You can see the washer waste going into the sewer drop. I think it is just being fed from a water line that is on the wall behind the toilet cistern.

You could put the grey waste water from the washer directly into the cistern which would be kind of neat yet crude (but not surprising in this case) but you wouldn't go the other way.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

kastein posted:

Washing machines are like 150lbs at most.

Are you also accounting for water? I guarantee that thing will be much heavier with a full load of clothes and water.

Edit:

Front loaders seem to be around 0.113267 m3 (4 ft3 ~30 gal)

The density of water is 999.97 kg/m3

That's 113.26 kg (249.7 lbs) of water alone.

xergm fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Aug 25, 2014

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Nitrox posted:

Cold water wash only, constant sewage smell from open plumbing stack, vibrating washing machine supported by 2 shelf brackets. What's not to love?

Over here, washing machines have built-in heaters and require only cold water. (And I guess fear of the vibrating machine of doom overhead would be quite effective at distracting you from the smell.)

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
A 4 cubic foot washer is pretty big. That one is probably just 3. And the major advantage of front load washers is that you don't have to fill that whole space with water; there's not likely to be more than 10 gallons in the washer at any given time, possibly quite a bit less.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
I've mostly only ever used top-loaders at home, which fill all the way to their capacity.

I guess like other things, Americans like their things larger than most.
I just pulled a random sampling for front-loaders from home improvement sites, and most used 4 ft3.
At the very least, a good amount of water could easily double the weight of a washer.

0/10, would not poo poo there.

xergm fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 25, 2014

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Slanderer posted:

A wet room seems like an absolute nightmare, unless you're living in that one weirdo's conceptual FUTURE CITY where everything is perfectly waterproof and automatic steam cleaning systems deploy while you're at work.

They work out really well, believe it or not. To give you an idea of what they kind of look like:

Mine, when I lived in Japan, looked like the second one.

The door was water proof and had vents angled so that water wouldn't escape. My walls weren't tile but were the plastic that your bath unit is likely made of, so yes, it was completely water-proof. You had to give everything a bit of cleaner/sponge every month, but it was really easy since you could just spray, scrub, and rinse without worrying about water getting everywhere.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Chitin posted:

This is called a "wet room." It's super common in many of the more crowded Asian countries and in ridiculously contemporary designer bathrooms that show up in architecture magazines.

A lot of those designers do it in really big bathrooms. In theory the whole thing is wet, but you don't ever use the shower side except when you are showering, so the other side can stay pretty dry.

Not like the tiny Asian ones that totally soak every inch of the walls when you take a shower.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I actually love wet rooms to give a spa feel. Check these out:

http://i.imgur.com/LUZ0tgf.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/patXtjA.jpg

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

I've tried vertical shower heads like that, and they're dumb. Your options are either to stand entirely out of the flow of water, stick limbs in, and get cold, or stand under the water and get your head covered in water (which can be irritating for any number of reasons). A traditional shower lets you aim the flow at your chest so you stay warm.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

If you look, it also has wall mounted, detachable shower heads too. I'm with you though, I got a rainwater style one and I am just about ready to switch back.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I like our rain water style shower, it also has a detachable head but I prefer the rain.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
This is the best showerhead I've ever had.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Javid posted:

This is the best showerhead I've ever had.

e:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
How well do those heating shower heads work?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Nitrox posted:

Shockingly well.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Yeah, I laughed.

My standards are low - as long as the showerhead is above 5' I can't complain. My current place is a joy to live in because even my house guests over six feet can stand underneath the stream comfortably.

Well except for the fact that the west-facing siding is infested with ants.

And the tub has needed to be resealed since 1994.

But I killed the rats, at least those are dead ok. All nine of them.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Nitrox posted:

"I could see it, glowing red, raging inside the plastic shower head. Black smoke started streaming from the holes in the plastic, and the heater raged on, squealing a more and more high pitched death knell."

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Years of living in crummy student apartments resulted in me thinking the best part of building my own bathroom in my house was that I could choose how high the shower head was.

So I put it like 7 feet in the air. Suck it short people :smug:

It's incredible to actually be able to get under the shower head without inducing scoliosis.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Here's what my bathroom looks like ATM, under construction but usable, it's still lacking the divider, a cabinet and a wash basin.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

His Divine Shadow posted:

Here's what my bathroom looks like ATM, under construction but usable, it's still lacking the divider, a cabinet and a wash basin.

is your toilet paper soaked after you shower?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

No it's far away enough, also installed a toilet paper holder and other stuff after the pic was taken. Everything is still under construction.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Motronic posted:

You could put down peel and stick vinyl tiles in a few hours for under $40.

It may not be the nicest thing, and you may end up doing a lovely job around the toilet without pulling it......bit it's easy and better than bare concrete.

From waaaaaay back, but!
I thought of that, but I figure, in a bathroom, water is going to get under the tiles through the joints and lift them. In our bathroom, with my kid, water everywhere is inevitable. It would probably do temporarily, I suppose.
I can tile it - it's just my wife and I being lazy on picking out tile(s), mainly.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

HOW THE gently caress

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Zemyla posted:

HOW THE gently caress

It's art. That's how.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2518206/Alex-Chinneck-Margates-sliding-house-makes-upside-building-Merge-Festival.html

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels

edit: ^^ That's incredibly awesome. You don't even need a handrail, because you can just bounce off of the walls. And it's not like you can roll/fall far in a straight line, so we're good!

Darchangel posted:

From waaaaaay back, but!
I thought of that, but I figure, in a bathroom, water is going to get under the tiles through the joints and lift them. In our bathroom, with my kid, water everywhere is inevitable. It would probably do temporarily, I suppose.
I can tile it - it's just my wife and I being lazy on picking out tile(s), mainly.

Yeah, don't do this. We've got this in our bathroom, and I'm slowly adding additional silicone beads in key always-wet tile gaps, trying to deflect any water flows from the shower. (Silicone won't bond to silicone, you say? Why, I hardly see how that's relevant!)

Can't wait to rip this lovely floor out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Raised by Hamsters posted:

edit: ^^ That's incredibly awesome. You don't even need a handrail, because you can just bounce off of the walls. And it's not like you can roll/fall far in a straight line, so we're good!

I like the design but looking at the transition from underneath it looks as if it is something someone bodged together and I'd be curious how (probably badly) the upper support column was attached to the ceiling.