Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

After this shitstorm debate about which Zelda etc etc I went to Walmart and the fat lady with nicotine stained teeth who opened the locked cabinet thing to take it out for me (stocked right beside skyward) was like 'Oh yeah Zelda is a good game'. Hell yeah it is lady.

Who goes to walmart for anything lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

Someone either sell me on or tell me to avoid Steamworld Dig which I just saw featured prominently on the eShop. My kneejerk reaction is to avoid because it mentions "randomly generated levels" and makes me think of Spelunky which I don't care for, but I thought I'd seek more knowledgeable opinions.

Steamworld Dig is like a 3/4 hour game where you dig down, find money and items, go back to the surface and buy upgrades which will let you dig deeper and repeat. It's not really a Metroidvania and it's nothing like Spelunky at all.

It's more fun than I'm making it sound but it's super short and there's not really any replayability unless you want to speed run it or something. It's probably one of the better non-Virtual Console eShop games out there though

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Regy Rusty posted:

Alright come on in no way is that a good recommendation for someone who "wants to see what the Zelda love is all about".

Literally every other Zelda would be a better first Zelda than that one.

My first Zelda game was Zelda II, followed by the first, and then A Link to the Past. And I was a huge fan of Castlevania and Ninja Gaiden so I guess what I'm saying is there needs to be more action-platformer Zelda games.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Zelda 2 is actually very good with a bad difficulty curve But at least it isn't utter garbage like OoT.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
For best Zelda game I recommend Neutopia 2 for the Turbo Graphx 16

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

There is no EB games in my area, gamestop doesn't exist where I live, and the general electronics stores I called don't carry Wii-U games. I also called 2 boardgame places desperately from my car while driving to Walmart in addition to an independent used game place. Please believe that I didn't want to go there at all.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

If you do in store pickup from their website it's like $12 cheaper than suggested retail.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

Steamworld Dig is like a 3/4 hour game where you dig down, find money and items, go back to the surface and buy upgrades which will let you dig deeper and repeat. It's not really a Metroidvania and it's nothing like Spelunky at all.

It's more fun than I'm making it sound but it's super short and there's not really any replayability unless you want to speed run it or something. It's probably one of the better non-Virtual Console eShop games out there though

katkillad2 posted:

It's nothing like Spelunky, you dig and get resources/items to help you dig longer and more efficiently. There are a few boss fights... I don't think I'm doing the game justice as I really enjoyed it, some people think the game is too short. If I remember right I was around 4-5 hours, but if you just dig straight down you can probably finish it in 2 hours. The 3DS version didn't have much replay value, not sure if they added anything to the Wii U version.

Alright, sounds like it could be fun but probably not what I'm looking for right now if it's that short. Maybe I'll pick it up sometime in the future. Actually if it's on 3DS it would probably be a great airplane game.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Yeah lemme go to walmart dot com like some loving scrub, idiot.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I've played pretty much every Zelda other than the CD-i games and none of them are bad games. SS and the DS games weren't as good as the rest, but they still had their own charm and I bet people would've liked them a lot more if they had been pretty much the same, but had not carried the Zelda title. Say what you will about PH/ST's touchscreen controls, mic gimmicks, and timed stealth dungeon (which was cool btw), they had great characters and ST had an amazing overworld theme that I'm glad is in Smash.

Motto fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Sep 4, 2014

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

After this shitstorm debate about which Zelda etc etc I went to Walmart and the fat lady with nicotine stained teeth who opened the locked cabinet thing to take it out for me (stocked right beside skyward) was like 'Oh yeah Zelda is a good game'. Hell yeah it is lady.
A more trustworthy opinion than most people's that post ITT.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

You're really boring please go

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

absolutely anything posted:

You're really boring please go

i agree but also umm who actually DOES goto walmart.com?

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
I just got to walmart.com to see if something is in stock. I bought my 3DS, Wii U, and all of their initial games from Walmart.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

Someone either sell me on or tell me to avoid Steamworld Dig which I just saw featured prominently on the eShop. My kneejerk reaction is to avoid because it mentions "randomly generated levels" and makes me think of Spelunky which I don't care for, but I thought I'd seek more knowledgeable opinions.
Steamworld Dig is basically a Metroid game with survival game mechanics. It takes a while to get to the meat of the game, but basically you're digging down to get money while also creating a path for you to be able to climb back up. It's painfully slow to start, but it's an above-average platformer/exploration hybrid that feels great to control. I'd hesitantly recommend it to anyone who owns a Wii U or a 3DS, because it's one of the few decent eShop titles.

Gwen fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Sep 4, 2014

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Mercury Crusader posted:

My first Zelda game was Zelda II, followed by the first, and then A Link to the Past. And I was a huge fan of Castlevania and Ninja Gaiden so I guess what I'm saying is there needs to be more action-platformer Zelda games.

Zelda 2 was my first Zelda game too. It put me off the series for years.

It wasn't until Link's Awakening was getting glowing reviews everywhere that I went "UGH FINE I guess I'll try this." Then I found out that Zelda games were actually good and Zelda 2 was just some horrible mutant anomaly that almost made me miss out on a cool series

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

All the Zelda games are great.

Someone will want to quote this post and be really funny by bringing up the CDi games but the CDi games are also great because of how bad they are.

KoB
May 1, 2009

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

hundreds of millions of people.

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

What do you mean 'no performing monkeys'?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/graphitelab/hive-jump-0

This game needs to get backed for like $4,000 more in the next 50 hours, seems pretty likely.
I'm not affiliated with them, and I want people to go do it, it's $15 to get a free copy on release (Wii U or PC) and name a character something (sadly all the $10 free copy ones are gone).

Edit: god drat just found the soundtrack previews on the page, it looks and sounds beautiful.

TheRam fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 4, 2014

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Do you need a break from posting? Normally I go to bat for you because some of your posts can be funny but for the past few months you havent really been anything but hateful and it doesnt seem like you enjoy posting and admins are asking me what should be done about the 500 reports you generate

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Probably better for the eShop thread, but how are the GBA VC releases? I am thinking of grabbing Advance Wars.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Why take a break when you need a vacation.
Anyone else have external hd problems with MH3U? Its the only game I have on the external that tells me its write protected or corrupted and refuses to run or even be copied back.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
walmart is the only place to go if you live in the middle of the woods. i did went there once because it was the only place i could get super mario 3d world at midnight and i ain't goin to no fuckin gamestop especially with all those retards lined up to buy the xbox one that same night

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Rirse posted:

Probably better for the eShop thread, but how are the GBA VC releases? I am thinking of grabbing Advance Wars.

Fantastic. On the gamepad screen they scale perfectly and on the TV I think it gives you an option whether or not it uses bilinear filtering.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Steamworld Dig is pretty mediocre. It's mostly digging downward and upgrading your shovel to make doing that less tedious. I was hoping for a little more metroidvania and a little less upgrade treadmill. The foundations of a good game are there but the execution is lousy.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Rirse posted:

They play beautifully and in addition to what Artix said, you can set your TV to scale your games perfectly instead of filling the screen and it's a lot nicer.

Actually, since it came up, why are the GBA games the only ones with screen filtering? I think filters are garbage, except for stuff like Vector Magic, buc it just seems weird that only one of the platforms emulated offers the feature to filter your games.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Rirse posted:

They're functional, accordingly.

Also, if you do get Advance Wars, send me a PM sometime and I'll be glad to shoot you a game in Advance Wars By Web.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

ChaosArgate posted:

Actually, since it came up, why are the GBA games the only ones with screen filtering? I think filters are garbage, except for stuff like Vector Magic, buc it just seems weird that only one of the platforms emulated offers the feature to filter your games.

Possibly because they only recently noticed that it was a feature some (weird) people like when emulating games on a computer, or they may have felt it wasn't necessary for SNES' larger resolution. Even though I'm not someone who would use it, I'm certainly a fan of more options. I actually really like the way they implemented button-mapping, particularly the fact that you can map one button on the virtual controller to multiple buttons on the physical one. This was really nice for Super Metroid, since I loved having SELECT on ZR, but I also sometimes preferred using the - button for it.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Hey everyone remember Splatoon right? Let's see what's the latest news about it is in Game Journalism

Look at this idiot posted:

I wish Splatoon were a single-player, character-based platforming adventure akin to Super Mario 64, Banjo-Kazooie, and the original Jak & Daxter

Oh good. It's still utter poo poo and basically a parody of itself

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Hey everyone remember Splatoon right? Let's see what's the latest news about it is in Game Journalism
Yeah, this article's mega-dumb, though I think we may have already talked about it at the time it was posted.

Honestly, since they said that Splatoon will have a single-player campaign, I'd love to see what they think of for making SP level design interesting in it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

A hundred boats slowly make their way towards Normandy's sandy shores, ready to unload their cargo of a thousand squid girls. The door falls open revealing the horrors of the battlefield as the music swells, then a sudden cut to black. The word Splatoon dramatically fades onto the screen.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

ChaosArgate posted:

GBA VC emulation is handled by M2 and they actually care about doing a good job.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The best Zelda game is Dark Souls

did I do that right?

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

cenotaph posted:

Steamworld Dig is pretty mediocre. It's mostly digging downward and upgrading your shovel to make doing that less tedious. I was hoping for a little more metroidvania and a little less upgrade treadmill. The foundations of a good game are there but the execution is lousy.

I've got a short video review in the works but yeh basically this - they went through all the effort of making good pixel art, neat enough environment, good music but then they had like... one puzzle, and a single boss encounter. So much missed potential with this.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

nachos posted:

The best Zelda game is Dark Souls

did I do that right?

Nah, Dark Souls is the best Castlevania game. The best Zelda game is Okami.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

SteamWorld Dig isn't bad, I think they did a good job with the atmosphere, platforming, and mining.
The upgrade system isn't perfect, and the combat is shallow, but I wouldn't say terrible or anything.. It's ripe for a sequel to expand on.

also the game featured very little pixel art from what I remember

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Thanks guys wind waker is fantastic!

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Suaimhneas posted:

The best Zelda game is Okami.

Maybe best Zelda game with a wolf in it.

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

.TakaM posted:

also the game featured very little pixel art from what I remember

Actually you're right what am I thinking, I thought the dude was blocky but he's just a clean drawing. The art style is nice! But it's a pretty shell hiding a relatively hollow body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunzil
Jan 1, 2010

Ultigonio posted:

Actually, many people who enjoy Zelda combat hate Skyward Sword's combat because, to them, it's just a series of boring "puzzles" - commonly considered analogous with Simon Says. I enjoy the combat in Skyward Sword a fair bit, especially when it comes to beating the hell out of Demise by furiously waving around your right arm and rhythmically thrusting your left arm.

The problem with Skyward Sword's combat was having the dogshit Bokoblins as the most common enemy in the game while leaving enemies with more interesting patterns like Lizfoes and Stalfoes to appear in very limited and specific locations and only letting you fight one to two at a time.

Skyward Sword was designed to be played in 15 minute intervals months apart so the deepest they ever go with combat is a one-on-one encounter with a single enemy with some kind of pattern to it. The two points they subvert this are the three stalfoes and the Shadow section of the final dungeon, which were the best parts of the game to me because I had to think about things other than the one guy directly in front of me.

The Zelda minigame in Nintendoland on the other hand gives you a large amount of enemies with interesting patterns and relationships so if anyone wants to experience the good parts of Skyward Sword just play that.

• Locked thread