Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

zoux posted:

Who is this sexxxy boi?

She has her father's jawline for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Figure one of you dudes will know this, how much is the rental price on a Directv HD DVR, not the snazzy new one, the older one with 2 tuners? Thinking of setting up a slingbox setup at my mom's to mooch her subscription.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

-Blackadder- posted:

What are some interesting random episodes to watch of stuff like the various Law & Orders, CSIs, NCIS', Criminal Minds, or really any episodic show where you can just watch a random episode and not really miss anything.

I mostly watch serial dramas, but occasionally I'll drop in on something episodic for a an episode or two. I watched a few of the L&O SVU episodes with special guest stars like Martin Short and Robin Williams and those were pretty decent.

As the only person who hates themselves enough to have watched all of Criminal Minds I'd say it would be worth watching two episodes from season four, "Normal" and "The Big Wheel" featuring The X-Files' Mitch Pileggi and Hawaii Five-O's resident punchy buff man Alex O'Loughlin respectively. They're basically the best episodes of the series because not at all surprisingly they attempt to humanize the killer of the week something Criminal Minds never really does outside of these episodes (but when they do they're always victims of some sort of childhood sexual trauma... Writing!). If you're feeling especially brave you could track down the Reaper episodes which are also pretty okay but they're spread out over two or three seasons and that's a lot of effort just to see C. Thomas Howell evil it up (the first is season four's "Omnivore" if you're interested).

That said if you want bad episodes with inexplicable guest actors Criminal Minds has those in spades. I can offer you: Frankie Muniz as a sword wielding vigilante; James Van Der Beek as a man who feeds a Woman to his dogs; Jamie Kennedy as a cannibal; Luke Perry as a cult leader; Wil Wheaton as a rapist; Jason Alexander as a man threatening to drop a schoolbus of children into a vat of acid (yes, really); Lukas Haas? he's there in some stupid flashbacks; Dean Cain is a spree killer; Matthew Lillard is a pedophile; Michelle Trachtenberg is a tertiary characters girlfriend? Surely she's not the stalker they're looking for; Mark Hamill shows up too; Tim Curry is The Nightstalker but also a pedophile. Those are the most recognizable people who show up as killers of the week and yeah most of that crazy poo poo is actually just boring, Criminal Minds is a show that hired Brad Dourif & Robert Knepper as crazy psychopaths and made them loving boring. It's almost impressive.

So yeah Criminal Minds is basically the show Occupation accuses Hannibal of being and I've watched all of it... I'm an idiot.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lugaloco posted:

Is The League even watchable at this point? I remember really enjoying most of Seasons 1-3 but after that it felt like the show took a nosedive.

I thought season 4 was still on point and I'm rewatching season 5 on Netflix and it's not nearly as bad as I first thought. It's just lazy, not actually terrible.

Gonna wait and see how the reviews on tonight's season premiere are.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Ursus Veritas posted:

Wil Wheaton as a rapist

What's his role on the show

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

What's his role on the show

He kidnaps married couples and leaves them unconscious in there car on a road so an 18-wheeler will crash in to and kill them. This happens multiple times.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ursus Veritas posted:

That said if you want bad episodes with inexplicable guest actors Criminal Minds has those in spades. I can offer you: Frankie Muniz as a sword wielding vigilante; James Van Der Beek as a man who feeds a Woman to his dogs; Jamie Kennedy as a cannibal; Luke Perry as a cult leader; Wil Wheaton as a rapist; Jason Alexander as a man threatening to drop a schoolbus of children into a vat of acid (yes, really); Lukas Haas? he's there in some stupid flashbacks; Dean Cain is a spree killer; Matthew Lillard is a pedophile; Michelle Trachtenberg is a tertiary characters girlfriend? Surely she's not the stalker they're looking for; Mark Hamill shows up too; Tim Curry is The Nightstalker but also a pedophile.

Holy gently caress. :catstare:

I want to see all of those. I've actually seen a few old episodes of that show and enjoyed them well enough.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Ursus Veritas posted:

Jason Alexander as a man threatening to drop a schoolbus of children into a vat of acid (yes, really);

This one is the best. You didn't even mention that he's supposed to be a genius obsessed with the golden ratio and obscure symbolism and stuff. Or that he has one of the greatest hairpieces in human history.

Criminal Minds is a ridiculous show.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
We're going to try to do a more organized thread claim thing for the fall season. So if you're planning on doing any OPs this fall for new shows or returning, even if you've already the OP of the thread(s), please see this post and respond accordingly.

Thanks!

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

Bob Ojeda posted:

This one is the best. You didn't even mention that he's supposed to be a genius obsessed with the golden ratio and obscure symbolism and stuff. Or that he has one of the greatest hairpieces in human history.

Criminal Minds is a ridiculous show.

It's pretty good.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Ursus Veritas posted:

It's pretty good.

and people say there's no merit to CBS procedurals.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

-Blackadder- posted:

What are some interesting random episodes to watch of stuff like the various Law & Orders, CSIs, NCIS', Criminal Minds, or really any episodic show where you can just watch a random episode and not really miss anything.

I mostly watch serial dramas, but occasionally I'll drop in on something episodic for a an episode or two. I watched a few of the L&O SVU episodes with special guest stars like Martin Short and Robin Williams and those were pretty decent.

I would suggest you get started on Cold Case as soon as humanly possible, but I'm honestly not even sure what your options are as far as getting a hold of episodes besides catching them on Ion or something. loving music rights. :argh:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ursus Veritas posted:

It's pretty good.

WHO THOUGHT THAT WAS A GOOD IDEA?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Uh it's a loving fantastic idea, not sure what you're on.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ursus Veritas posted:

It's pretty good.

:staredog: Good god hahaha

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

muscles like this? posted:

A genius?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

That episode was pretty good, Criminal Minds-level of insanity notwithstanding.

I don't remember most of the guest stars like another goon posted above. Did not remember JvdB or some of the others but I definitely remember the Jason Alexander one.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ursus Veritas posted:

It's pretty good.

Ahahahaha holy poo poo

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Spatula City posted:

I happen to know Todd Vanderwerff online (casually, not like close friends or anything), and had a whole long argument with him over whether Flashforward would be any good. I read the pilot's script, and predicted doom. He said it was really promising, and could be a big hit.
:smug:

Give the guy a break. He was loaded, okay?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A weird thing about the TNT show Legends is that the first episode made it seem like the show would be a procedural since the first case is set up and solved in one episode. However each subsequent episode has been about one case altogether.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah it's kind of weird. If you jumped in episode 3 you'd have no idea wtf was going on. It's like 24 type poo poo except the pilot was standalone.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Season two of Legend of the Seeker feels like a huge jump in quality over the first season. It was still a fun fantasy adventure romp that got a little dark once in a while but always managed to stay light.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I enjoyed that show. I was sad when it was canceled.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

A weird thing about the TNT show Legends is that the first episode made it seem like the show would be a procedural since the first case is set up and solved in one episode. However each subsequent episode has been about one case altogether.

So the first episode's like the pre-credits sequences of a Bond movie, and the rest of the series is that movie?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Well, they wrapped that story up in this week's episode so it seems like maybe it'll just be a show with arcs.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Criminal Minds is a big guilty pleasure for me; it is the dumbest, trashiest, most exploitative thing ever and I love how willfully stupid it is.

The high watermark of stupid for me would have to be the episode where Frankie Muniz plays an Frank Miller analogue. It includes multiple sequences of Frankie Muniz dressed like a ninja stabbing werewolves with a samurai sword, all shot to look like Sin City.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

HorseRenoir posted:

Criminal Minds is a big guilty pleasure for me; it is the dumbest, trashiest, most exploitative thing ever and I love how willfully stupid it is.

The high watermark of stupid for me would have to be the episode where Frankie Muniz plays an Frank Miller analogue. It includes multiple sequences of Frankie Muniz dressed like a ninja stabbing werewolves with a samurai sword, all shot to look like Sin City.
Great, now I have to watch this.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Since the game show thread seems to have gone to the archives, I'll post this here.

I've watched about seven or eight episodes of The Chase and don't know if I can watch anymore. In the episodes I watched, none of the contestants came even close to winning, which is starting to bore the poo poo out of me. I like the concept of the show but the implementation needs to be tweaked or maybe entirely overhauled.

It's not fun to watch every contestant win, but it's also not fun to watch them all lose.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

HorseRenoir posted:

The best part about that show is imagining everything Paget Brewster says is in her Sadie Doyle voice.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Was thinking of making a thread for this years Big Brother Australia but not sure how much traffic it would get.

bowmore fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Sep 4, 2014

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Is Top of the Lake any good?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

PriorMarcus posted:

Is Top of the Lake any good?

Excellent, but very, very slow and given to spend time on things that don't seem to matter. Also, some people have problems with how it ended; I don't agree but I see where they're coming from. If nothing else, Jane Campion shoots it beautifully and Elisabeth Moss's performance is incredible (however dodgy you may find her Kiwi accent), so watching it won't be a total waste.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

DivisionPost posted:

Excellent, but very, very slow and given to spend time on things that don't seem to matter. Also, some people have problems with how it ended; I don't agree but I see where they're coming from. If nothing else, Jane Campion shoots it beautifully and Elisabeth Moss's performance is incredible (however dodgy you may find her Kiwi accent), so watching it won't be a total waste.

Awesome. I'm going to start watching it today.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

ChickenMedium posted:

Give the guy a break. He was loaded, okay?

Very good. I enjoyed this post.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There should be a supercut of all the times someone gets hit with the butt of a rifle/handgun and it cuts to commercial in Lost.

And season 3 is much better when you binge watch it. I remember hating it when I saw it as it aired.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The customer service denying golem resulting from the proposed Comcast and TWC merger will be known as "GreatLand".

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Ursus Veritas posted:

Dean Cain is a spree killer;

I remember he was a gambling spree killer, he killed his victims as part of his gambling good luck routine. I guess it's a reference to his role in Las Vegas.

I have to agree that CM is pretty boring, it's just creepy poo poo without being actually interesting.

Jay Karnes played a serial rapist attacking his former victims.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Sep 4, 2014

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Ursus Veritas posted:

As the only person who hates themselves enough to have watched all of Criminal Minds I'd say it would be worth watching two episodes from season four, "Normal" and "The Big Wheel" featuring The X-Files' Mitch Pileggi and Hawaii Five-O's resident punchy buff man Alex O'Loughlin respectively. They're basically the best episodes of the series because not at all surprisingly they attempt to humanize the killer of the week something Criminal Minds never really does outside of these episodes (but when they do they're always victims of some sort of childhood sexual trauma... Writing!). If you're feeling especially brave you could track down the Reaper episodes which are also pretty okay but they're spread out over two or three seasons and that's a lot of effort just to see C. Thomas Howell evil it up (the first is season four's "Omnivore" if you're interested).

Criminal Minds is a great loving veg out and watch some people die horribly show, at this point it's almost to be a B-grade 80's horror movie with how loving crazy it's become. If you watch it that way it's a great show about crazy poo poo.

The best killer is the guy from the first season that caused Mandy Patinkin quit the show because it was already so hosed up.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Kurtofan posted:

I remember he was a gambling spree killer, he killed his victims as part of his gambling good luck routine. I guess it's a reference to his role in Las Vegas.

drat, talk about forgotten tv shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

JohnSherman posted:

drat, talk about forgotten tv shows.

There's a tv channel here airing reruns every once in a while.
This show had a ton of guest stars, too. Sylvester Stallone, JCVD, Jon Lovitz(the episodes he guested in were pretty funny if I recall correctly), Alec Baldwin, etc...

Jill Hennessy and Jerry O'Connel were also recurrent guest stars as the show is set in the same universe as Crossing Jordan (several crossover episodes were made)

I kind of like it :shobon:

• Locked thread