Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So, yea Wolverine and the Xmen was one of the worst comics I've ever read since Age of Ultron, and that was the Fearless Defenders issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!

twistedmentat posted:

So, yea Wolverine and the Xmen was one of the worst comics I've ever read since Age of Ultron, and that was the Fearless Defenders issue.

I'm impressed that you made it all the way through.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It seriously felt like "oh poo poo we are killing Wolverine off in a week, we better do a story about him banging Storm!". Ugh, and there was what, one panel of school happenings?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I actually liked the issue of Storm that dealt with their relationship. Did anyone else read that? I think it was last week.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
It seemed like they were a fairly well-established couple, which was weird, even though they technically do have enough history that they'd reach that comfort level pretty quickly. It definitely makes more sense than Kitty and Quill.

The story itself with Callisto and the runaway kids was a lot more engaging than the previous issue, but I'm still anxious to see an ongoing plot develop.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I just read the Uncanny issue this week. I just want some fallout from the whole Incursions in New Avengers and Beast to get exposed as the hypocrite and idiot he is and expelled from the school.

Also, Xavier is truly a jerk and a tease, just tell them your last will you bald jerk! Stop delaying it!

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

radlum posted:

I just read the Uncanny issue this week. I just want some fallout from the whole Incursions in New Avengers and Beast to get exposed as the hypocrite and idiot he is and expelled from the school.
Beast has been a huge hypocrite for a loooong time. The same Beast who loves to holier than thou Scott for starting X-Force and going too far to reverse M-day now works for the same guy who ran X-force for Scott (and planned and executed the murder of a child after Scott tried to disband the team) and happily cooperated with the Joseph Mengele of mutants during his own failed effort to reverse M-Day.

Despite knowing all about the Age of Apocalypse and how that started he also thought it would be a smart move to rip the founding members of the X-men from the early days of the team to teach Cyclops a lesson.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

radlum posted:

Also, Bendis is truly a jerk and a tease, just tell them your last will you bald jerk! Stop delaying it!

But then it wouldn't be a 5-issue long story.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

DynamicSloth posted:

and planned and executed the murder of a child after Scott tried to disband the team

Yeah that's not how that happened no matter how many time you say it or write it down in your secret Cyclops love diary.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

SirDan3k posted:

Yeah that's not how that happened no matter how many time you say it or write it down in your secret Cyclops love diary.
Not sure how any of that makes Cyclops look good, he's pretty culpable for X-Force's actions as well since it started as his idea.

But what part are you claiming didn't happen? Beast breaking with Cyclops over X-force. Cyclops ostensibly disbanding X-Force. Wolverine continuing X-force on the down low or as the author put it:

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I am quite liking the set-up of this story, even though I know there is a 3% chance it'll end satisfyingly. But it's, y'know, teasing an end to the schism.
I wonder if Wolverine's gonna be part of this away team or if he's gonna die while they're gone, denying Scott a final chance to reconcile with him.

edit: Christ, that panel above only reinforces in my mind that the schism should have had Scott and Logan on the same side, with Storm and Beast on the other. But nooo, we can't have Wolverine playing second fiddle to anyone anymore!

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
Didn't really like todays Uncanny, but I have to admit I laughed at Wolverine wanting acknowledgement for his good behavior.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Re reading the Uncanny X-men issue reminded me of how ethical and moral Xavier was in relation to humans and mutants living together.
I really wonder how Xavier would have handled the Incursion stuff if Hickman had been allowed use him.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

DynamicSloth posted:

Not sure how any of that makes Cyclops look good, he's pretty culpable for X-Force's actions as well since it started as his idea.

But what part are you claiming didn't happen? Beast breaking with Cyclops over X-force. Cyclops ostensibly disbanding X-Force. Wolverine continuing X-force on the down low or as the author put it:

Yeah that's Wolverine taking responsibility for Fantomex, they didn't know Apocolypse was reborn as a kid when the mission started and it stopped everybody cold when they found out. So noted child killer Wolverine both didn't actually kill or even plan to kill a child.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I was actually really liking this week issue of Uncanny... until the second half of the issue hits and suddenly the really innocuous, sweet story about Charles communicating with the child is supposed to be controversial for some reason. It's the same bullshit that made Battle of the Atom really irritating to me; it takes a pretty obvious and benign idea and pretends like it's a super-contentious flashpoint despite one side of the argument not really having a point. Why is Charles sealing the kid's powers and letting him live a normal life presented as a morally sketchy decision, even after the child explicitly gives Charles his consent? This whole storyline was about Charles having some dark hidden secret; was "Charles couldn't help this one kid control his powers, so that kid grew up to have :stonk: a normal childhood!!! :stonk:" really the best they could do?

That whole section of Scott flipping out because Charles was literally flawless and hypercompetent felt like blatantly artificial tension, and I have no idea why Bendis bothered to include it in what would otherwise be a story about the team overcoming their differences.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

SirDan3k posted:

Yeah that's Wolverine taking responsibility for Fantomex, they didn't know Apocolypse was reborn as a kid when the mission started and it stopped everybody cold when they found out. So noted child killer Wolverine both didn't actually kill or even plan to kill a child.

They all agreed it was necessary and wolves did too.

You are just doing gymnastics so your wolves can remain pure.

Which is dumb as Wolves whole thing is he is a bad guy who tries to do the right thing but fails.

Its annoying granted but whatever its like trying to hold back the tides.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 3, 2014

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

HorseRenoir posted:

I was actually really liking this week issue of Uncanny... until the second half of the issue hits and suddenly the really innocuous, sweet story about Charles communicating with the child is supposed to be controversial for some reason [...] Why is Charles sealing the kid's powers and letting him live a normal life presented as a morally sketchy decision, even after the child explicitly gives Charles his consent? This whole storyline was about Charles having some dark hidden secret; was "Charles couldn't help this one kid control his powers, so that kid grew up to have :stonk: a normal childhood!!! :stonk:" really the best they could do?

Isn't that what he did with Jean Grey, anyway? Or was that only in the movies?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

HorseRenoir posted:

I was actually really liking this week issue of Uncanny... until the second half of the issue hits and suddenly the really innocuous, sweet story about Charles communicating with the child is supposed to be controversial for some reason. It's the same bullshit that made Battle of the Atom really irritating to me; it takes a pretty obvious and benign idea and pretends like it's a super-contentious flashpoint despite one side of the argument not really having a point. Why is Charles sealing the kid's powers and letting him live a normal life presented as a morally sketchy decision, even after the child explicitly gives Charles his consent? This whole storyline was about Charles having some dark hidden secret; was "Charles couldn't help this one kid control his powers, so that kid grew up to have :stonk: a normal childhood!!! :stonk:" really the best they could do?

That whole section of Scott flipping out because Charles was literally flawless and hypercompetent felt like blatantly artificial tension, and I have no idea why Bendis bothered to include it in what would otherwise be a story about the team overcoming their differences.

After years of "Charles Xaiver is really a douchebag" presenting his dark secret being "actually Charles Xavier is a principled guy, who even when confronted with a horrible set of circumstances, didn't compromise on his main moral principles, but does feel guilty about it." is kind of a neat twist.

And it did make me think about the Incursions and the ins and outs of the moral compromising in that story, and how would Charles have interacted with that.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Man the way they just write all the Xmen to poo poo all over Cyclops is absolutely ridiculous.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

HorseRenoir posted:

It'd because Bendis didn't get a chance to write his own Xavier Is A Dick story so he's doing one now.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

notthegoatseguy posted:

It'd because Bendis didn't get a chance to write his own Xavier Is A Dick story so he's doing one now.

It's not his fault, it's just on the checklist of stories that all Marvel writers have to try to do before they can quit, including but not limited to:
  1. Professor X is/was secretly terrible
  2. Hank Pym's redemption
  3. An attempt to make Dr. Strange catch on enough to support an ongoing which will fail
  4. A story where Galactus invades again
  5. A story involving time travel where something goes horribly wrong
  6. Days of Future Past but listen this time its different guys I swear see in this one everybody is dead because...

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

TwoPair posted:

It's not his fault, it's just on the checklist of stories that all Marvel writers have to try to do before they can quit, including but not limited to:
  1. Professor X is/was secretly terrible
  2. Hank Pym's redemption
  3. An attempt to make Dr. Strange catch on enough to support an ongoing which will fail
  4. A story where Galactus invades again
  5. A story involving time travel where something goes horribly wrong
  6. Days of Future Past but listen this time its different guys I swear see in this one everybody is dead because...

Hasn't bendis done all of these except for number 2 and 4? Which means we're due for the X-Men fighting galactu and Hank Pym comes out of nowhere and solves it in one panel.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Leper Residue posted:

Hasn't bendis done all of these except for number 2 and 4? Which means we're due for the X-Men fighting galactu and Hank Pym comes out of nowhere and solves it in one panel.

If you are counting non X men books then he has done 4 too.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

CharlestheHammer posted:

They all agreed it was necessary and wolves did too.

You are just doing gymnastics so your wolves can remain pure.

Which is dumb as Wolves whole thing is he is a bad guy who tries to do the right thing but fails.

Its annoying granted but whatever its like trying to hold back the tides.

At this point that's Cyclops character more then Wolverine's due to decades worth of "I'll write Wolverine/Cyclops like nobody has before!" role reversal.

How anybody has a favorite of the two most interchangeable character in the X-Men I'll never understand.
"We need somebody gruff and willing to do what it takes that believes in Xavier's dream."
"Eye punches or claws?"

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 4, 2014

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

The Question IRL posted:

Re reading the Uncanny X-men issue reminded me of how ethical and moral Xavier was in relation to humans and mutants living together.
I really wonder how Xavier would have handled the Incursion stuff if Hickman had been allowed use him.

I half expect that whenever it's Hickman's turn to be the main X-Men writer, that bringing Xavier back would probably be one of this things. Maybe that's just wishful thinking after how much I loved what he did with the Fantastic Four.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
My favorite thing in the Wolverine issue was when Nuke gets to the Island and the beach is littered with the bodies of AIM, Hand and others that have come for Logan before him.

Bobby threatening to freeze Scott's colon was pretty good too. Also Kitty and Nightcrawler being reunited was nice.

And yea, in no way was what Prof X did wrong. He saw a kid who was a clear threat to everyone around him, and knew that he was too young to be able to truly control it. But nope, Scott and his "ALL MUTANT FREEDOM ALL THE TIME!!!!" had to get all pissy.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I don't think Scott was being pissy because MUTANT PRIDE or what have you - he was being pissy because he just found out that the guy whose teachings were the most important thing in his life pushed aside those very teachings. That is to say, Professor X never said "it would be immoral to use my psychic powers to basically partially lobotomize another mutant unless it's really important;" Xavier spent decades (okay, in Marvel time maybe a week, but still) teaching Scott Summers that the world was black and white and never even hinted at the existence of grey while simultaneously dipping his proverbial toe into those very grey areas.

No one seems to be saying "Hey, the Professor shouldn't've done this." It's more "Hey, if the Professor was going to do this, it would have been nice if he'd told us about it instead of pretending that it never happened while also telling us to never consider doing that same sort of thing."

(It's OK If A Republican Xavier Does It, basically)

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

(It's OK If A Republican Xavier Does It, basically)

The only moral mutant lobotomy is my mutant lobotomy!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Scott is totally going to take that mutant in instead of mind wipe him too.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

He had a normal-ish childhood, that means he's evil. Otherwise the whole X-Men school dynamic is proven pointless and stupid.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Codependent Poster posted:

Scott is totally going to take that mutant in instead of mind wipe him too.

Please, like that guy's not gonna go nuclear or something then blow himself up by the end of the story.

Alternate end: poo poo gets too real and Rachel/Emma/all the other psychics on both teams band together to do the exact same thing Xavier did while Scott stands around yelling about morals and Wolverine says something that doesn't matter because he's a dead man walking.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Man, I like Peter David's downtime issues more than any other writer, I think. He's got a great handle on the soapy aspects of the shared marvel universe.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm gonna be sad when they take Quicksilver away from him to put on Avengers. He's so drat good with that character.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Codependent Poster posted:

I'm gonna be sad when they take Quicksilver away from him to put on Avengers. He's so drat good with that character.

Same with Gambit. No X-Editorial better take him away from X-Factor.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

hope and vaseline posted:

Man, I like Peter David's downtime issues more than any other writer, I think. He's got a great handle on the soapy aspects of the shared marvel universe.

I think Bendis had his moments as well. There was one issue of his Illuminati that initially was promoted as "the wives of the Illuminati find out!!!!" and even had them all on the cover. But instead, it was just the Illuminati being all "women. Amirite?" and it was one of Bendis' best moments.

radlum
May 13, 2013

notthegoatseguy posted:

I think Bendis had his moments as well. There was one issue of his Illuminati that initially was promoted as "the wives of the Illuminati find out!!!!" and even had them all on the cover. But instead, it was just the Illuminati being all "women. Amirite?" and it was one of Bendis' best moments.

Didn't the other guys shame Tony for being with Madame Masque? I think someone described her as female Doctor Doom or something like that. I remember that issue; it was funny.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

radlum posted:

Didn't the other guys shame Tony for being with Madame Masque? I think someone described her as female Doctor Doom or something like that. I remember that issue; it was funny.
Tony describes her as looking like Dr. Doom because no one else knew who she was. They all questioned why he would sleep with Dr. Doom.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Finally catching up with last week's comics:

LOL @ Death of Wolverine and Reed saying "We're not that close" about Tony Stark and Hank McCoy.

Why isn't Soule writing the Wolverine ongoing? Much better than the poo poo writer on it currently.

Last month's X-Factor was a brilliant issue. This issue was a bit of a let down. I mean, I get that Quicksilver needed that baggage dealt with. I don't like that it was practically hand waved away. But I think PAD did the best he could with that kind of story.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

notthegoatseguy posted:

LOL @ Death of Wolverine and Reed saying "We're not that close" about Tony Stark and Hank McCoy.

Reed was saying he and Wolverine weren't close. "I understand, we're not close" was a reply to Wolverine saying Reed was the last on his list of geniuses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

notthegoatseguy posted:

Why isn't Soule writing the Wolverine ongoing? Much better than the poo poo writer on it currently.

"poo poo" is generally not how Paul Cornell is described.

His Wolverine isn't very good, I'll grant.

• Locked thread