Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megaspam
Mar 1, 2007

In this ever changing world in which we live in.

Direwolf posted:

Does anyone have any advice for space marine bikes staying on their bases? Half of my Ravenwing don't seem to like staying on. I've considered pinning but I feel like they should just be able to stay on and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here.

Use a file/sandpaper to smooth out the area of the base where the surface will make contact with the bike tire. Do the same on the tire itself, then glue it.

Comedy option: if you have the old bikes with spinning wheels, just glue the rear tire so you can do wheelies :rice:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Megaspam posted:

Use a file/sandpaper to smooth out the area of the base where the surface will make contact with the bike tire. Do the same on the tire itself, then glue it.

Comedy option: if you have the old bikes with spinning wheels, just glue the rear tire so you can do wheelies :rice:

Haha I have 3 bikes that are already modeled with spinning wheels exactly for that reason.

I'll do the sanding idea, thanks! I think that should work

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

NTRabbit posted:

Sure, it's ok, I mean if you like medium sized weapons.

This on the other hand

:heysexy:

:vince:

Seriously though, those tanks rule. I also love the head on the Questorus knight. Cool GLaDOS / scifi vibe that stands out from the other heads in a good way.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Kaysette posted:

:vince:

Seriously though, those tanks rule. I also love the head on the Questorus knight. Cool GLaDOS / scifi vibe that stands out from the other heads in a good way.

Its also one of the best AT pieces for 150 points I've ever played, if its not a Land raider is dead, if it is, it's still either messed up or dead, and a bitch to kill from the front on top of all that. Never leave home without the angry tractor.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yeah, farmer browns angry tractor is really good. Its pretty comparable to a full battery of rapiers with laser destroyers, but with slightly better range.

In other words, it owns. Can't wait to get farmer browns angry trailer to go along with it.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

What vallejo blue is good for airbrushing Ultramarines? God bless you for reading this post.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

BULBASAUR posted:

That second knight looks like an admech knight :getin:

If you take a preator and pride of the legion ROW you can run 5 man tacticool vetran squads and 5 man terminators as troops. That's the smallest troop investment you can make. Also its comically expensive:

Preator with Stuff - 150 points
Vetran Tacticool Squad - ~250 points
Vetran Tacticool Squad - ~250 points

How the hell do they justify 50 points for a Tacticool Marine? Horus Heresy sounds pretty deadly all around, so 50 points for a 3+ save dude sounds nuts.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

SRM posted:

How the hell do they justify 50 points for a Tacticool Marine? Horus Heresy sounds pretty deadly all around, so 50 points for a 3+ save dude sounds nuts.

They're not 250 base for five, they're ~250 for a kitted out squad of ten.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
It's pretty nuts. I don't have my book with me, but the squad costs something like 175 points for just 5 assholes. They all get 2 attacks base, can move and shoot heavy weapons, and all of them can get power weapons. You also pick one of 4 special rules like tank hunters, outflank, furious charge, or something else. By the time they are 10 strong and have 2 special/heavy weapons they cost like 350 points. Think of them like Chaos Chosen, but better for more points.

In 30k land, they are one of the worst troop options. I would never use them. You pay lots of points for flexibility and suddenly your 10 3+ guys and a rhino at 400 points are up against an opponent who wisely spent those same points on 20 tactical marines, an apothecary, and a plasma executioner tank to support them.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

BULBASAUR posted:

It's pretty nuts. I don't have my book with me, but the squad costs something like 175 points for just 5 assholes. They all get 2 attacks base, can move and shoot heavy weapons, and all of them can get power weapons. You also pick one of 4 special rules like tank hunters, outflank, furious charge, or something else. By the time they are 10 strong and have 2 special/heavy weapons they cost like 350 points. Think of them like Chaos Chosen, but better for more points.

In 30k land, they are one of the worst troop options. I would never use them. You pay lots of points for flexibility and suddenly your 10 3+ guys and a rhino at 400 points are up against an opponent who wisely spent those same points on 20 tactical marines, an apothecary, and a plasma executioner tank to support them.

It's 125 for 5 Veteran Tacticals, 200 for 10.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
:siren:Big boring post about NoVA GT games:siren:
No pictures, who cares.

Had a blast at NoVA this year. I felt like I had less downtime between rounds and I was always in a rush but that was fun on its own if not a bit stressful.

I want to thank AbusePuppy for the assistance with my list, I think it made quite the difference.

In the GT I played 8 games. First four are to get you into a bracket then you play an isolated tournament with those 16-ish people.

My first GT game was versus my alarm clock. I lost. I was awake for about 8 hours of frantically painting my two Slaanesh grinders torsos before I drove about 14-15 hours straight to get to NoVA. When we got to there I had an evening game which went long (invitational player was drunk playing his friend's screamerstar for the first time. Great guy just a looong game).

I talked to the judge and assured them I was not dropping but just a worthless human who deserves a loss for round one. I was told I was going to get a loss for now but then my score would be aggregated with my second game, kinda like getting a strike in bowling. He wanted me to remind him after the second game since that would make the pairings a bit more accurate. 0-1

My next game was versus a ringer army, but he never showed up. I was paired with another player who also did not have an opponent, he had white scars bikes. The mission was objectives. I chose to score round by round instead of all at the end. It did not matter.

*This is the only picture I took. I play slow so I didn't want to slow down and take pics. I should have though, for nostalgia.*
Above you can see him post scout move and how he was in my face turn one. I lost a lot of bodies but was strong enough to counter charge on my turn. I did my best but I was so rusty I was forgetting to toss my portal or use my Grimoire on my turn. In the end I killed a lot but I lost. 0-2 About halfway though the match the judge walks over and tells us since neither of our opponents showed up we both were getting full points, he told us not to bother with the score sheet and to have a good game. So... Victory? 1-1

I made sure to stop by and remind the judge to aggregate my scores as he wanted, he nods and says that he did forget and that I was all set. Cool, I wait around for my next match. I see the pairings go up and head to my table. I guess in bowling if you get a strike after getting a strike your score goes up, I had a score of two full-point victories, so I was actually 2-0. I wonder who I will get paired up against now...

Eight waveserpents (5 dire avenger, 1 Wraithguard, 2 Fire dragon) are there waiting for me at my table. The game was killpoints. I could have chosen to pick a modified kill point objective instead, or I could have eaten a poo poo sandwich. All three options were just as good because I was completely tabled. I killed one waveserpent all game. Be'Lakor died to the first volley from a serpent (three 1s from my 2+ cover save VS the scatter laser alone). The guy was a cool dude just a poo poo matchup. Guess I was 2-1 at this point, though I was really 0-2 based on the games I played.

This ended the first day of the GT, a little food and a healthy amount of sleep and I was ready for my next game. 4 Objectives + Relic mission VS Nids. We each chose the alternate mission where we score based on each turn instead of all at the end and neither of us were allowed to move the relic (probably a mistake on my part). His list was similar to most nids I have seen over the years and the same kind of army that gave me trouble every time. Flying tyrants, two tervigons + gaunts, two crones, two mawloc and three zoanthropes. I played a good game after my blunder in mission choice. I killed a zoey with slash attacks to steal first blood. I killed a tervigon (my first ever killed I think) with my seekers but he passed his behavior checks on the stranded gaunts and had a Mawloc erupt under them. He had my Herald under the template and I LoSired the wounds till it was only the Herald left, so he hit again and I LoSir again and forced mishap, dead mawloc :frogc00l:. The game was tough, I would have won if he didn't get perils-super-sayen on his warlord which gave him a 4++. He actually forgot he had it despite my marker I left besides his warlord, but I couldn't let him since I would always know. It denied me warlord bonus points I needed to win. Ah well. 2-2.

Now that the first 4 games are over it was time to enter the brackets. It was around this time MSP and I realized I was 2-2 instead of 1-3 so I was worried I would get crushed in the bracketing.

My first bracket game was against an army I have seen before. It was the 1850 version of the screamerstar I played that first exhausted night at NoVA, except this is the guy who actually knows how to play it. Fateweaver, 4 Heralds, 2x horrors, 2x nurglings, 2x7screamers and an Imperial Knight. I think I'm screwed. Game was tablequarters, score at end with points or turn by turn by number of units. We each picked end of game and I chose First Blood, Last blood and Linebreaker. I made him go first. He was overzealous and flew fateweaver in my face turn one and moved his knight forward looking to charge against my scouted hounds, which he failed. Fate's nova didn't hurt and he flickered my seekers hard but I grounded him despite his reroll and first blooded Fateweaver and counter charged his Knight with Be'Lakor on my turn one. Be'Lakor didn't take damage and the knight had one HP left. That was big. He made as many heralds as he could and had a stupid unit with almost 8 heralds but he could only score so much with one super unit and flickering fire sucks, so weird having a top list rely on it. He split up on his turn but I was bottom and I was able to tie quarters and win on secondaries. 3-2. I felt like I really played this game quite well and that I was getting better.

Second bracket game was versus Tau allied with Tau, no enclaves (NoVA approved because you could only bring one CAD). He had farsight, shadowsun and buff-commander in a giant target-lock bodyguard unit (5-2xMissile, 3-2xFusion) with 18 gundrones. It was over 1k points in one unit. Rest of the list was 4 SMS-devilfish with minimum firewarriors and aegis+comms. It was objective scoring or something, didn't matter. I gave him first turn and I was surprised to see him deploy, but it made sense. I was all naked bodies running at him and he could just stand and shoot. His first turn killed a grinder for first blood (holy gently caress tank hunter) He ended his turn and I asked him if he was going to thrust move. The room was loud a little loud and we were in a bad acoustic pocket so he asked me to repeat my words twice. I had to almost shout "THRUST MOVE?". He shrugged, rolled a 9" move and moved at bit back. I ran up as fast as I could and tried to Shriek his unit since he had no Inv saves. I terrified the unit first to get -1Ld to try and maximize my damage. He passed his 3d6 Ld, and I was like, poo poo... Then he took his terrify Ld check and rolled 11. And then rolled a 5" fallback, and was just enough to go off the table, thanks to that thrust move. On the bottom of turn one I killed over 1kpoints of his army. He shook my hand. 4-2. I felt bad, he was a younger guy from Stomping grounds and was obviously upset at loosing to a single power. He took it as gracously as he could, tough loss obviously. He asked if we could roll it out a bit if that didn't happen and it was obvious that he would have destroyed me. That didn't make him feel any better.

The next morning after a pair of Narrative games, two Long Island ice teas and most of a pizza I had my final two games. At this point yesterday's Indian food-truck was tabling my guts and I was eating half a box of chewable pepto bismol. Sounds like wargaqming to me.

My opponent was GK/Centstar. The list's last hurrah. The player was Xavier Zimmerman, who was the winner of Adepticon young bloods apparently. His list had Coteaz, Tiggy and grenade inquis with 5 centurions with 6 razorbacks with minimum psyker squads and 3 psy-filemen. Mission was the same as the screamerstar matchup with different deployment. We both picked end of game questers based on points alive (which I think was a mistake since he had MSU and could have scored more over the game probably). The game was uneventful. We traded a few units but I knew I would never kill his invisible pointsink and made sure I scored more quarters and secondaries. In the end I had tied the table and won with linebreaker. Nice young man and it was an anti climactic game though it was very close. 5-2.

My final round was against Space marines with objectives. We both picked end of game blitzkrieg. Ironhands drop/transport hybrid list. He had two thunderfires and 3 droppods (sternguard/honour guard+Termy Master/empty) with two squads in rhinos, one sout squad in speeder, melta legion'o'damned, stormtalon and some devastators. I made him go first despite having first blood. He played a mind game and dropped his honour guard near his deployment zone and an empty pod. I had to cross the table to get to him. I weathered his first barrage while making my seeker's Inv save worse, whoops. Thankfully I was able to get just close enough to shriek one of his two thunderfires with Be'Lakor. First blood. (Demons loving love first blood). His sternguard and Legion squad come in and each fail to kill a soul grinder, or anything for that matter. His lascannons and stormtalon don't do much to my armor and the scouts preoccupy themselves with some horrors gone to ground in some ruins. Finally I get my defense in order. I lock up his fearless legion with a grinder and kill his stenguard with hounds/other grinder. My Tzeentch herald gets cursed earth and grimoire on my seekers while Be'Lakor shrouds the screamers. I assault his two rhinos and empty his troops. He is stuck in his deployment with no objec secured eslewhere except his scouts who are busy fighitng half my horrors. He charges my seekers but 2++ is good. I was able to stuff him into his zone and contest his empry pod scoring and hit linebreaker for a win.

6-2.

I won my bracket. The 6th bracket out of 12. I am the best out of the middle of the pack I guess. Over the tourmament I learned a lot and noticed my level of play rize. The NoVA missions are really well designed and make the field much more even. It's not perfect, I had 0 chance versus the waveserpents for example but there's not much mission design can do to save you from that. I won a box of Hiveguard as my prize. That kit is worth $70 apparently but I have no use for it. They can convert into beasts of nurgle I guess.

Final thoughs. My loving portal made probably... 15 models total. Over 7 games played to at least turn 4. Many players stopped and told me it looked awesome but the bastard is stingy with the models.

And final final though. Sex Cannon is a badass. It was great to see this goon. His personality was radiant and he got me out of the hotel to hang with some people other than MSP for once. He reminded me of my friends before I ostracized myself on another size of town with a job on the other half of the day. I look forward to seeing him in the future. Maybe next time I will have more time to hang with him. I'll have to get on the same Narrative faction as him in the very least, if not warlord it up and party like a badass.

I played against these two big tanks in the narrative. They are heavy as poo poo. The sides are solid resin apparently, but I was drunk as hell that game.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Cool, thanks. So we're looking at 200 pts without any special weapons. You're looking at 250 if you gear them out and about 300 when you give them a ride. For that many points you can have a 20 man tactical squad with an apothecary.

Alternatively you could take a tactical support squad and spam a special weapon for roughly the same amount of points.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

BULBASAUR posted:

Cool, thanks. So we're looking at 200 pts without any special weapons. You're looking at 250 if you gear them out and about 300 when you give them a ride. For that many points you can have a 20 man tactical squad with an apothecary.

Alternatively you could take a tactical support squad and spam a special weapon for roughly the same amount of points.

Only problem with that is they cant be part of the required two troop choices.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Which is why I almost never take them :(

I would use the non compulsory troops a lot more if they counted toward your minimum troops choices and had something like a 0-1 option (so people couldn't spam them)

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Drunk NOVA ownage

Sounds awesome, even if you're downplaying yourself a lot here you did fantastic and should be proud.

Did you come up just for the event, or are you in the area? If you're around we should play sometime!

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

Which is why I almost never take them :(

I would use the non compulsory troops a lot more if they counted toward your minimum troops choices and had something like a 0-1 option (so people couldn't spam them)

I've seen them once, all plasma in a pod. Intercepting Thanatar's said hello. Outside that they seem really potent if you want additional troops.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Hencoe posted:

I've seen them once, all plasma in a pod. Intercepting Thanatar's said hello. Outside that they seem really potent if you want additional troops.

They are a marine glass hammer, basically. They gotta get somewhere to do a ton of damage, which is what makes them hard to use outside of a suicide deepstrike or comedy outflanking/infiltrating role (there are some decent Alpha Legion and Raven Guard builds that basically guarantee you will delete an enemy unit)

A decent role I've found for them is as a deep strike deterrant. I ran x7 plasma marines with an apothecary + augary scanner. That basically made them into a 24" deep strike death bubble. The two times a poor Dark Angles player deepstruck in my lines and ate 80 bolter + 14 plasma shots they really regretted it.

That said, thats a ton of points for something camping your backfield. After running the numbers, its really hard to beat the predator executioner in the deep strike cockblocking business. At about 130-160 points you have an AV13 tank with a 3 shot 36" plasma template weapon, interceptor, and if you paid the points lascannon sponsons. I've used this to annihilate terminators dropping into my backfield- thanks to interceptor, you get to shoot them when they are all clumped up together with your plasma templates. One game I landed 21 plasma hits on a squad of 7 terminators.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Becomes...

It will be interesting if they put in Warden Knights next. Or that crabknight (Paladin 3)

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
I got my Fire Raptor in the mail today and started assembling it. Holy poo poo I am out of my depth. It's a great kit and I think it's going to make me buy an airbrush.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

WhiteOutMouse posted:

And final final though. Sex Cannon is a badass. It was great to see this goon. His personality was radiant and he got me out of the hotel to hang with some people other than MSP for once. He reminded me of my friends before I ostracized myself on another size of town with a job on the other half of the day. I look forward to seeing him in the future. Maybe next time I will have more time to hang with him. I'll have to get on the same Narrative faction as him in the very least, if not warlord it up and party like a badass.

Aww, shucks. You and MSP are some super chill bros. I had been out of the hobby for a while and it was really great to hang out with dudes I "know". I was also really impressed by your army. It was definitely one of the more unique and interesting armies out there. I was also impressed with how hammered you got on Saturday. Next time you should definitely come hang with the warlords. It's just a big party over here. And you don't have to feel bad if you're bad at this like me!

Direwolf posted:

Sounds awesome, even if you're downplaying yourself a lot here you did fantastic and should be proud.

Did you come up just for the event, or are you in the area? If you're around we should play sometime!

WOM and MSP are down in Florida, IIRC. But you and I are playing this weekend, and I should probably text you about that.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Sulecrist posted:

I got my Fire Raptor in the mail today and started assembling it. Holy poo poo I am out of my depth. It's a great kit and I think it's going to make me buy an airbrush.

I actually just came here to post my FW arrival as well :)

The Pulsar needs to be straightened a bit, not sure how to do it. Also, I've always heard you have to wash the the resin parts. I rinsed them but do I need to do anything else?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
You'll probably want something to lightly abrade it; I don't think just washing gets the release agent off. I use an old toothbrush.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Boon posted:

I actually just came here to post my FW arrival as well :)

The Pulsar needs to be straightened a bit, not sure how to do it. Also, I've always heard you have to wash the the resin parts. I rinsed them but do I need to do anything else?

I can confirm that warming resin works a treat for bending things into proper alignment. I did it with a finecast Haemonculus a while ago.

If you happen to have a hot water spigot for coffee or what-have-you that's ideal. Just remember: apply less pressure than you think necessary when bending the piece. Bending it into place is much more fun than pinning two snapped pieces back together.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Cream_Filling posted:

Becomes...

It will be interesting if they put in Warden Knights next. Or that crabknight (Paladin 3)

A big Crabknight or one of the dopey Lancers (especially Lancer2, who reminds me of the main character of Wizards) would get me to buy from Forgeworld.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
The process I've always used for FW resin is this:

Set a pot of water on the stove at low heat. You don't need it boiling, just hot to the touch. You'll also want a bowl of cold water at hand.

Submerge the piece in hot water for 5 seconds and then attempt to gently, slowly, bend it. If it bends but gradually goes back to its original shape, heat it up again.

Once it stays in the shape/position you want, submerge it in the cold water for half a minute. That should be all you need to do.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Improbable Lobster posted:

A big Crabknight or one of the dopey Lancers (especially Lancer2, who reminds me of the main character of Wizards) would get me to buy from Forgeworld.

:v:

My most recent FW acquisition is a little less exciting, but still gonna own

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

panascope posted:

What vallejo blue is good for airbrushing Ultramarines? God bless you for reading this post.

Probably Game Air Ultramarine.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Boon posted:

Warm water, soap (like Tide or dish soap), soak it for as long as you like, and then use a toothbrush. For big rear end resin pieces I recommend soaking it for a while in hot water since they tend to have way more release agent.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
For Salamanders tactical marines, what should I be kitting them out with? I'm under the impression that I should be doing something like arming squads of ten with a multi-melta to beat on armored models and the sergent with a combi-flamer to erase other infantry.

I really don't know what I should be doing since I'm still new to this and at least want to put together something decent.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Star Man posted:

For Salamanders tactical marines, what should I be kitting them out with? I'm under the impression that I should be doing something like arming squads of ten with a multi-melta to beat on armored models and the sergent with a combi-flamer to erase other infantry.

I really don't know what I should be doing since I'm still new to this and at least want to put together something decent.

Get some magnets and start right. It's pretty easy and will save you a ton of cash.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Star Man posted:

Caveat: I'm returning after a long time away (took most of 5th and most of 6th off). My ten-man tactical squads have plasma guns, combi-plasmas, and multi-meltas. Sometimes I take a different heavy weapon if I don't have Vulkan; I have a fair amount of other anti-tank stuff. If I have Vulkan, I always take a squad of Sternguard with a bunch of combi-meltas since he master-crafts both their alpha-strike antitank shot and then all of their special ammo afterward. I don't like taking combi-flamers on sergeants since I feel like I'm paying for the same benefit twice (same for combi-Meltas with Vulkan); if I want to throw flamers around I take a command squad (and lately after some advice from AbusePuppy I've been messing around with flamers on assault marines in a transport). My tactical squads mostly hold objectives and fight infantry/battlesuits so I like plasma. I'd consider a plasma cannon if I didn't have Vulkan, but the combi-melta has the same range as the squad's other guns, snap shot doesn't feel as bad with a reroll (but plasma cannons can't snap shot at all), and sometimes I end up combat squadding and having the combi-melta go off elsewhere against certain targets.

Short answer: not an expert, but I like plasma/combi-plasma/multi-melta.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Star Man posted:

The strength and weakness of tactical marines is their flexibility. If you give them one anti-infantry and one anti-vehicle weapon, they are not very good against either. What do you want your tacticals to accomplish? If you want them to be strong against vehicles, multimelta, meltagun and combimelta is the way to go. If anti-infantry, flamer, combiflamer.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

One thing that I neglected to mention was it seems to me that the new attack order/wound allocation rules can significantly lower the killing potential of combi-flamers, since they no longer hit at the same time as flamers. I've heard people argue that it still all happens at once (for flamers/combi-flamers) but I haven't seen any authoritative statement that they do, so my group plays like they don't.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Whiling away at Oath stuff for this month. I did finish part of it: Big Mek on a bike with a killsaw and KFF.

Orks are very cathartic to paint. I don't have to worry too much about being exact with details or how well layers blend together. Very relaxing, and even though I've painted something like 3k worth of them I've not gotten bored; it helps that it's been broken up over 2 years or so.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Sulecrist posted:

One thing that I neglected to mention was it seems to me that the new attack order/wound allocation rules can significantly lower the killing potential of combi-flamers, since they no longer hit at the same time as flamers. I've heard people argue that it still all happens at once (for flamers/combi-flamers) but I haven't seen any authoritative statement that they do, so my group plays like they don't.

You can fire a squads weapons in any order you want. Hence why people use templates first, normal weapons second since templates can only kill what they hit.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

serious gaylord posted:

You can fire a squads weapons in any order you want. Hence why people use templates first, normal weapons second since templates can only kill what they hit.

I think what he's getting that is that since flamers and combi flamers are considered two different weapons, you can't resolve them at the same time. So one of the two is going to have the number of hits it can achieve reduced.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

^^^^
Yep

serious gaylord posted:

Flamers and combi-flamers are not the same weapon so they can't be fired simultaneously:

http://www.3plusplus.net/2014/06/guest-article-40k-7th-shooting-the-bane-of-vulkan/

Edit: actually, the article I just linked explicitly contradicts me with regard to combi-weapons. I'll need to go back to the rulebook but I'd trust the author over me.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Sep 4, 2014

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Sulecrist posted:

Flamers and combi-flamers are not the same weapon so they can't be fired simultaneously:

Hahaha, oh come on...

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Combi-x and the regular x should totally fire at the same time.

Flamer-related, I still wish I could take full skorchas on my meganobz instead of combi-skorchas. :<

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Moola posted:

Hahaha, oh come on...

Since I'm a Salamanders player I'd like to be wrong about this (and as the article I linked indicates, I probably am). Of course the obvious downside of having it fire at the same time is that you might use up your once-per-game charge at a time where it's really not necessary.

The author notes that if the combi-flamer is master-crafted it would probably go at a different step. If it were a combi-anything else it would have to.

• Locked thread