Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some_weird_kid
Mar 16, 2004

My popcorn is cautiously and provisionally RDY

Quora Guy posted:

I'm THIS close to achieving my dream. Should I take this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity?

I love this because "once-in-a-lifetime opportunity" is my favorite bad with money justification for doing dumb things. The boundaries of once-in-a-lifetime are loose enough that you can apply it to a million things, most of which don't pass the "should I abandon all responsibility and do this thing at any cost?" test. I had a friend who tried to convince me to blow off my last semester of pharmacy school to join in on a 5 week backpacking trip to Europe, because it was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. A pretty awesome opportunity for sure, but if abandoning all personal responsibility is on the table, it's one that I can do pretty much whenever. Factor in the cost of delaying graduation by a year (~$115,000 earning potential lost, plus $17,000+ in tuition, who knows how much in lodging, etc., plus who knows if I could actually negotiate a return to clinical rotations after blowing off my previously-scheduled ones) and we're talking about a $150,000 five week backpacking vacation. I thought he was joking when he first proposed it, but he was really adamant. Because "once-in-a-lifetime" should have been sufficient reasoning to offset whatever was on the opposite side of the cost equation. There's probably a reason why you always hear "once-in-a-lifetime" as part of the sales pitch with MLM schemes - for lots of people, that's a synonym for "stop considering the multitude of reasons why this is a bad idea and just do it anyway."

My other favorite bad with money justification is "following my dreams." This is essentially "I really wanted to do this thing, so I didn't consider any of the downsides" but phrased in a more positive way. A friend posted on Facebook that she was really worn down by all the negative people in her life and everyone who was telling her not to do something that she's dreamed about since she was a little girl. That dream that she's strived to fulfill for nearly her whole life? Buying a brand new Mitsubishi Eclipse. She's a college dropout working as a part-time waitress and struggling to make her expenses each month, but the only thing that matters is that she's following her dream of securing double digit financing for a car while having no money to put down. The people who were telling her to be reasonable and maybe consider a cheaper/used option were just naysayers who were trying to stop her from reaching for the stars. And the next day, she posted a celebratory photo album of her brand new Mitsubishi Eclipse. Another friend who is enlisted military (total take-home ~$35,000/year) posted a few pictures of his recently-purchased Benz, saying how he had finally accomplished a dream of his. Two weeks later, he posted a status asking if anyone wanted to come to his place to hang out because he didn't have money for gas to go out. And if you do come over, BYOB because he can't restock his fridge until payday. But at least he's reached his dream of having a Benz in the driveway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Nail Rat posted:

seems the average for Senior Software Engineer in SF is about 110k.
That sounds low to me, but maybe that's because I've been at higher-paying companies.

Jeffrey posted:

Glassdoor says the average for the bay area is 107k for all people listed as "programmer", not just senior ones, but that still doesn't explain 105k for entry-level.
Well at least for top-tier companies, first year compensation can be easily well over 100k, so being around 100k for the average doesn't sound surprising to me.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Jeffrey posted:

If the number they cite for average starting salary is true(105k), then it's way better ROI than most colleges. Seems reasonable to me. I'd like to see a more detailed breakdown of how they got to that number.

"12 weeks, 6 days per week, 11 hours of in-classroom instruction per day" also is a lot more than a standard college would provide, and those sound like a loving miserable 12 weeks.

It's also WAAAY past the point of diminishing returns. I'd bet you get more out of a year of 5 to 10 hours a week.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Cicero posted:

That sounds low to me, but maybe that's because I've been at higher-paying companies.

Well at least for top-tier companies, first year compensation can be easily well over 100k, so being around 100k for the average doesn't sound surprising to me.

Yeah, as I said before, I think they are telling the truth, but that does mean they are pretty exceptional either at picking who they accept, teaching, or both. The salaries are higher than I would have guessed but certainly within reason. I've known entry level programmers who have gotten offered 110-120 but it would be pretty hard to get together a group of students who all got high enough offers to average 105.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I have a good friend who did a coding boot camp in Seattle, and his experience was overall quite positive. His was, I think, 8 weeks for like 7-8 grand. He basically disappeared off the face of the earth during the boot camp because he was fully committed to it and it was his life 24/7 for the duration.

But he got two job offers out of it at about 75-80k and some other interviews that he didn't follow up on. It's been about a year now and he could easily get hired at any number of web dev shops now for the same or more money. Considering he was working for like 13 bucks an hour beforehand I think he did pretty well.

The thing with a lot of the boot camps is that they look for already technically oriented people that might come from less traditional backgrounds that can "easily" be molded into entry level web dev if given the push.

In SF I absolutely believe 100k is entry level. I know a bunch of tech people down there, and I've interviewed at some companies there and done all the research and entry to mid level for someone with good tech chops is 100-150k for anywhere worth working. I ultimately stayed in Seattle since to give up the quality of life in Seattle at 100k I'd want almost 200k in SF.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

VideoTapir posted:

It's also WAAAY past the point of diminishing returns. I'd bet you get more out of a year of 5 to 10 hours a week.
Nah, I think high intensity training is a good way to go about it. Of course it's not sustainable over a long period of time, but 12 weeks is just doing one semester's worth, a little less even.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Always get the special high intensity training.

Folly
May 26, 2010
The bootcamp idea makes more sense, to me, for programming than most other disciplines. To program you need to be able to twist your thought processes a bit. Keeping yourself in that mode makes it easier to go deeper into it. It always took be a little time to swap my brain fully between different programming paradigms. I'm guessing that's something that would have diminished with practice, but never completely go away.

Folly fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 3, 2014

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Folly posted:

To program you need to be able to twist your through processes a bit.

This is where I agree with the boot camp setup. Whenever I kick off a new programming project it always takes me a little bit of time to ramp up to it. Maybe it's something I put down awhile ago or a new language, but I have to orient my thinking to approach my problem effectively.

That said, I am also skeptical of those numbers, but I also don't work in software development.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
They could be fudging a bit by including benefits in the salary. So an 85k salary + benefits might be a "total compensation" of 105k.

They also might have some rock star types that get absurd salaries to drag up the average that high while the median is in the five figures. Just a thought.

e: Even if the numbers are being fudged to some degree, doing a 12 week course for a reasonable tuition and coming out on the other side with an upper five figure job is pretty drat good.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

ranbo das posted:

I mean, if they really do have a 99% hiring rate with an average starting salary of $100k+, then I'd say it would probably be worth it.

Another software engineer jumping in on the "this sounds like horseshit" bandwagon. I'd like to know what percentage of those jobs happened with bubble VC money and lasted more than 3 months.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Barry posted:

They could be fudging a bit by including benefits in the salary. So an 85k salary + benefits might be a "total compensation" of 105k.
I doubt it, but there is a good chance they're factoring in bonuses and stock.

quote:

They also might have some rock star types that get absurd salaries to drag up the average that high while the median is in the five figures. Just a thought.
Yeah, if it's a mean and not a median that's probably true to some extent.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

ranbo das posted:

I mean, if they really do have a 99% hiring rate with an average starting salary of $100k+, then I'd say it would probably be worth it.

Yeeeah I have a double Sw.Eng / CS degree from a prestigious school and those numbers are bullshit. You can easily make six figures just a few years out once you prove you're worth it but there's no way you're gonna pull those numbers fresh from a single-semester program. No way in hell.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Necc0 posted:

Yeeeah I have a double Sw.Eng / CS degree from a prestigious school and those numbers are bullshit. You can easily make six figures just a few years out once you prove you're worth it but there's no way you're gonna pull those numbers fresh from a single-semester program. No way in hell.

(Double CS/electrical+computer engineering major here if the degree wagging counts for anything) Five years ago, at the height of the recession, high value, new graduate programmers from traditional schools(my school anyway) could pull 6 figures with no work experience at all. There's no reason not to believe the averages haven't gone up. It certainly seems plausible that a single-semester program(with at least double the workload of a traditional semester) could pull it off, especially one that is extremely focused compared to the relatively meandering courseload of a university.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Necc0 posted:

That's what these programs do to get rubes to sign up. I'm taking a CNA course with "guaranteed job placement" and projected earnings of $20 an hour. Chicago has a comparatively high pay average for hospital personnel, but I don't think any hospital will pay that much for a one semester trained employee. You can't go in expecting to make what they tell you day one on the job.

Hell, the only reason I am taking it through the company I am is because I know the director of the tech float pool at my hospital and I can get an easy transfer and a $4 pay raise once I'm certified

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
This is a fun thread, people just saying "this is bullshit" without any numbers or data to back it up. BFC!

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Radbot posted:

This is a fun thread, people just saying "this is bullshit" without any numbers or data to back it up. BFC!

If major universities are fudging placement numbers, its practically guaranteed that an extremely expensive non-degree course is fudging even more.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Radbot posted:

The burden of proof is on the party claiming a 105k starting salary for a 12 week course is 99% guaranteed, IMO :shrug: .

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Salary sources:

Median salary for a developer in San Francisco - 90K
http://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/san-francisco-software-developer-salary-SRCH_IL.0,13_IM759_KO14,32.htm

Median salary for a software engineer in San Francisco - 100K
http://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/san-francisco-software-engineer-salary-SRCH_IL.0,13_IM759_KO14,31.htm

Certainly a very expensive 12 week training course on programming will get you at least the median salary for a field with 0 actual experience! No bullshittin'.

Numbers aside, I think the term Software Engineer is hilarious. It's like programmers didn't think their titles were fancy enough. You're not an engineer.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Obviously it's not hard to find people to shill for you but you'd think they'd have at least one negative review here http://www.quora.com/Reviews-of-Hack-Reactor if it were bunk. Also this other glassdoor page http://www.glassdoor.com/blog/15-tech-companies-software-engineer-salary-revealed-glassdoor-report/ says the mean (not median) is ~108k, not 100k. That's also showing base salary while Hack Reactor almost certainly is including bonuses and stock grants, which makes the number seem pretty reasonable in my mind.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Sep 3, 2014

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Nail Rat posted:

The burden of proof is on the party claiming a 105k starting salary for a 12 week course is 99% guaranteed, IMO :shrug: .
How would they even prove it? The students and employers involved would probably frown on their numbers being revealed except in a highly anonymized fashion, in which case it wouldn't be any more proof than what they've already said.
Looks like those salaries don't factor in bonuses or stock, and also it's not consistent with itself which is odd. For example if you click through the Google Software Engineer one that says 110k salary, it suddenly jumps to 121k salary on the other page, with total comp being 155k.

Anyway, 100k compensation for a junior engineer in SF is not unusual at all.

edit: while Glassdoor is generally accurate, you have to factor in that they're including salaries for the last several years, and during that time there's been a decent sized run up in salaries for software engineers in the bay area.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 3, 2014

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Radbot posted:

The only direct evidence is one post saying they they had a flakey hack reactor graduate quit his job. I don't really see an issue if they train people to fill job positions. If all you need is a lovely coder they don't need a CS degree.

I have more of an issue of the guy planning to run off with $21k borrowed from his cousin who has been helping him. Truly a dick.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Devian666 posted:

The only direct evidence is one post saying they they had a flakey hack reactor graduate quit his job.

He didn't say hack reactor, just someone from a coding bootcamp. Regardless of the hack reactor's honesty, their are all sorts of "me-too" coding bootcamps that are not.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Is Software Engineering not considered Real Engineering anymore? :(

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

This Machine Kills Fascists

Gorman Thomas posted:

Was it ever?

Folly
May 26, 2010

Devian666 posted:

The only direct evidence is one post saying they they had a flakey hack reactor graduate quit his job. I don't really see an issue if they train people to fill job positions. If all you need is a lovely coder they don't need a CS degree.

I have more of an issue of the guy planning to run off with $21k borrowed from his cousin who has been helping him. Truly a dick.

Yes. After screwing off like 4 times with someone else bailing him out each time, he said, "I totally understand the morality of this situation." Then he asked for someone to explain why it was wrong to defraud his family. The best voted answer was the one that explained why defrauding his family would harm him personally, which is probably the only way to get through to that guy. The whole thing is a loving comedy of moral turpitude.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Gorman Thomas posted:

You don't drive the train with your laptop, nor can you reasonably shovel your laptop into the engine's boiler, so yeah I guess programmers can't be called engineers.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Volmarias posted:

You don't drive the train with your laptop, nor can you reasonably shovel your laptop into the engine's boiler, so yeah I guess programmers can't be called engineers.

I'm an engineer but I rarely deal with trains. Except that I'm just off the phone to a client where we are turning train carriages into a restaurant.

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

I should have known better.
oh my god who cares

edit: about debunking salary talk. train restaurants are great.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Less arguin, more storyin. Here's a contribution.

A few years ago, I paid a utility bill twice (or was somehow charged twice) and developed a credit on the account. The city's billing system was crap, and the next month the bill said "PLEASE PAY $XX.XX" even though that amount was not actually due - it was the amount of credit I had. I'd forgotten about the previous double payment and paid it anyway. The next month, same thing happened, the amount "due" was slightly higher than I was accustomed to paying but I thought it was just the poor efficiency of the house. After probably four months, I ended up with a credit of about $600 before I finally sat down and got to the bottom of it.

After a lengthy phone call with the city utility, it was finally explained to me that a capital letter "C" printed somewhere vaguely near the amount "due" was to indicate the amount was actually a credit and not to pay it. So, their system was smart enough to realize that I had a credit and print the letter "C" but dumb enough to still print "PLEASE PAY $XX.XX". Anyway I felt retarded but I mean come on.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Jeffrey posted:

That's not what he did though, and if he can actually program and got a reasonable job offer then dropping out of school was probably the right choice.

Especially if that $21,000 was for just one semester's tuition as the post seemed to imply. Unless he was going to medical or law school, he really dodged a bullet there.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gorman Thomas posted:

Ask the self-driving cars that are making their debut.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Gorman Thomas posted:

Is the program ABET accredited? Y/N

Cicero posted:

Anyway, 100k compensation for a junior engineer in SF is not unusual at all.

Junior != entry level. Hope this helps.

Necc0 fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 4, 2014

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Necc0 posted:

Can you get your PE stamp? Y/N

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Necc0 posted:

Uhh he can mean whatever he wants when he uses the word, he wasn't reading that off of an article. Entry level engineers are regularly referred to as junior even if categories aren't precisely the same.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Delta-Wye posted:

Yes

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

While I was househunting over the past few months, I met about 5 people (out of about 20 spaces visited total) that were either renting out space in their houses or forced to rent themselves because they bought a house with their bf/gf and the relationship fell apart.

So, uh, don't do that until you're 100% in it for the long haul, is what I've learned.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Necc0 posted:

I've seen them used synonymously all the time, but in any case, 100k for an entry-level software engineer in SF isn't unusual at all.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Delta-Wye posted:

Yes but lol if you do without being forced to by your company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
I have a friend of a friend who got an entry level software job at Zynga at 110k/yr at age 21. A month after closing on a condo in SF last year those massive layoffs happened and he lost his job. He got a new job shortly after for a little less money but maaaan that could have gone south real fast.

• Locked thread