Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Tae posted:

What's your GPU?

Geforce GT 745M

Edit: This guy has very similar specs, and it seems to run alright. I don't think I'd get 60 FPS perfection, but he seems to be doing okay: http://www.twitch.tv/vanirblade/b/539731944. Kind of muddy, though.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

RoadCrewWorker posted:

I've had some coop today with incredibly laggy hosts, where bosses would just stop moving for 5-10 seconds or casually float about the room, wildly animating in random directions at noone in particular. At least the game seems to count the damage dealt by players but not the enemies' when re-synching (or maybe i just got lucky), so it was more surreal and hilarious instead of frustrating.

At some point the host and the boss just kinda froze, so me and the other phantom just traded taunts for half a minute before the connection timed out. :allears:

I had this happen to me too for the first time yesterday, where I got summoned for the Pursuer battle. It was basically like a stop animation film of the host and the boss where I would score like 3 hits, then the the boss would teleport to the other side of the room but suddenly have like half health. It was way gnarly.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Firstborn posted:

Geforce GT 745M

Edit: This guy has very similar specs, and it seems to run alright. I don't think I'd get 60 FPS perfection, but he seems to be doing okay: http://www.twitch.tv/vanirblade/b/539731944. Kind of muddy, though.

You can get 60 FPS with an integrated card if you lower the settings and resolution enough, you should be able to get 60 FPS with that.

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009

Grayshift posted:

That character planner is pretty badly in need of an update, actually - at the very least, its agility calculations are completely off. If you want 5 attunement slots and 115 agility, you'll probably want to go 26 att/77adp (or 25/78). I actually got annoyed by the lack of a good calculator for this, even the mugenmonkey planner gets it wrong, so I made a quick spreadsheet.

Agility Breakpoints

Key: Top row is attunement, column is adaptability. Green attunement columns are where you get another spell slot, yellow columns are where you get bonus casts. (The two darker yellow columns are the ones where you get a +cast to a spell that is normally single use, eg WoG.) The agility breakpoints where you get new invincibility frames are highlighted in green. The darker green cells are just as fine as the bright greens, but also have an optional configuration where you take one point out of adaptability and put it in attunement instead. I would pretty much always prefer to do that as it might increase my cast speed. In either case, the same number of soul levels are required.

In short, gently caress no you're not getting 115 agility at SL 150.

Welp, you're totally right. The agility calculations had been accurate for just getting to 100, so I didn't think to question it (even knowing the max stamina is hilariously wrong at all times). Still, 105 AGL is doable, and I'll have extra points to throw around afterwards...

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

THE loving MOON posted:

GandalfTheBuff :black101:

This is what would have happened if Gandalf took the ring when Frodo offered, and then invited him to kiss it.
Gandalf doesn't need to wear rings of life protection :colbert:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

one of these days I am gonna kill this jerk, he just makes me want to punch him I don't even know why

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Nahxela posted:

Gandalf doesn't need to wear rings of life protection :colbert:

Hey, I just finished fighting an invader. :saddowns:

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Firstborn posted:

Geforce GT 745M

I don't know why it's saying your GPU doesn't meet the min sys requirements, my laptop has a 525m and it runs DS2 perfectly ok at medium settings, definitely dips below 30fps in some areas though. It might be seeing the integrated Intel GPU and ignoring the dedicated Nvidia GPU?

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

It's because that website is poo poo for GPUs, if it ticks the individual boxes it's fine 90% of the time.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

El Pollo Blanco posted:

I don't know why it's saying your GPU doesn't meet the min sys requirements, my laptop has a 525m and it runs DS2 perfectly ok at medium settings, definitely dips below 30fps in some areas though. It might be seeing the integrated Intel GPU and ignoring the dedicated Nvidia GPU?

Thanks for this!

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

SHISHKABOB posted:

one of these days I am gonna kill this jerk, he just makes me want to punch him I don't even know why

Dude somehow managed to realize the fundamental truths of the Dark Souls world by blacksmithing all day every day. He's all right, if a bit weird.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Just finished the first DLC. From Software knows how to make good content. It was very satisfying from beginning to end. I hope the second one is as good.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

What kind of stats do I need to be rocking to make the most of that low max carrying capacity=BIG DAMAGE!! ring? It seems like you basically have to live with a lovely roll if you use that ring unless you go commando. Is it worth it?

yrF
Jun 23, 2009

Use 10 Vit and Third Dragon Ring when using Flynn's Ring, it's enough to fastroll with if you like to wear pretty skirts.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It's basically a second +2 Ring of Blades. Just wear a pretty dress.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
As I understand it, the whole point of Flynn's and RoB is that they give a flat bonus to damage, which means that they benefit fast weapons with low damage per hit much more than slow weapons that already hit hard. Fast weapons also tend to be light weapons, so you should be able to wear light armor and still not roll like a walrus. You'd have a problem if you were lugging a Greatsword around or something, but you may not get enough benefit to that weapon to make the ring worth using with it anyway.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

100 extra damage benefits everything, really.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
Yeah, but Flynn's alone is only 49, at 60.2 equip load, which is as close as you can get to an even 60. Is that worth it for a heavy weapon? I dunno, I haven't actually tried it yet myself.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'd take it, what else are you gonna put in that ring slot as a melee guy? Third Dragon Ring is mandatory on all builds, after that I don't really see a reason not to take Flynn's Ring and RoB+2.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

^^ as a melee guy with a heavy weapon I'd prefer to have more than 60 equip load.

I made a silly build with Smelter Hammer with Flynn/RoB. Not too effective.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

On my melee guy I use murakamo with RoB+2/flynns and it's not bad. She wears pretty pretty dresses so the weapon weight isn't a problem.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'd take it, what else are you gonna put in that ring slot as a melee guy? Third Dragon Ring is mandatory on all builds, after that I don't really see a reason not to take Flynn's Ring and RoB+2.

I like stamina regen so the Cloranthy Ring is nice, then there's always the Stone Ring. Flynn's is fun to mess around with but I think that it's objectively bad compared to having a free ring slot and more armour.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

It seems weird to me that so many people love Flynn's Ring while the Clutch rings go completely unused when they also give a bunch of damage with arguably a smaller defensive tradeoff.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

WarpedLichen posted:

It seems weird to me that so many people love Flynn's Ring while the Clutch rings go completely unused when they also give a bunch of damage with arguably a smaller defensive tradeoff.

I really hope the third DLC gives us dark and fire clutch rings.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

The best ring is the simpleton's ring because you loving turn invisible when you roll

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I thought the Flynn calculation was 14 without Third Dragon Ring, 9 with it.

Regardless, my favorite build is the Flynn build with a Esperada (Estoc previously) and it just melts opponents while giving me the easy defensive cheese against phantoms and such. At a certain point, armor is useless and rolling is king and the DPS from Flynn+RoB damage output is absurd.

My ring set-up was TDR, Flynn, RoB+2, and Cholorothy for general purposes or Old Leo Ring for bosses.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Tae posted:

Regardless, my favorite build is the Flynn build with a Esperada (Estoc previously) and it just melts opponents while giving me the easy defensive cheese against phantoms and such. At a certain point, armor is useless and rolling is king and the DPS from Flynn+RoB damage output is absurd.

My ring set-up was TDR, Flynn, RoB+2, and Cholorothy for general purposes or Old Leo Ring for bosses.

You can get away with 10 VIT + 3rd Dragon on some classes, according to some people. Never tested this, and I'm not sure why it would be class-variant since the only stat that affects equipment load is VIT, right?

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

If you really want 10 vit and 3rd dragon, you lose like half a percent* of AR. Bite the bullet.

*Could be slightly higher.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Tae posted:

The Espada Ropera benefits very strongly from Flynn's Ring in two ways. Not only is it very fast, but it does high counter damage. So, with the the Old Leo Ring it actually gives over 75 damage on counter hits. I guess it probably depends on your play style and is limited to PvE, but the majority of my attacks are counter hits, so the ring represents a very significant increase in total damage. If you're using a heavy, slow weapon with poor counter hits but high damage, it's almost certainly not worth it. But if you use a light, fast weapon with good counter damage, Flynn's Ring is amazing.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Firstborn posted:

Geforce GT 745M

I'm playing on an ancient RADEON HD 4850 and the game doesn't dip below 60 FPS most of the time :psyduck:

e: I'm still disappointed they gutted the extra bells and whistles, I know people complained that it would be too dark... have they never played Demon's Souls or even Dark Souls? those games are pitch black in places! I think it'd be awesome if some of the areas weren't almost fulbright

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Sep 4, 2014

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

lordfrikk posted:

I'm playing on an ancient RADEON HD 4850 and the game doesn't dip below 60 FPS most of the time
I'm playing on an even more ancient Radeon 3850 and the game runs fine.

lordfrikk posted:

I'm still disappointed they gutted the extra bells and whistles, I know people complained that it would be too dark... have they never played Demon's Souls or even Dark Souls? those games are pitch black in places! I think it'd be awesome if some of the areas weren't almost fulbright
I think people would have complained more about the game's performance. From what I've picked from people who worked the game's guide, From basically gutted the lighting system to ensure the game would have a decent framerate.

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.

Read posted:

You can get away with 10 VIT + 3rd Dragon on some classes, according to some people. Never tested this, and I'm not sure why it would be class-variant since the only stat that affects equipment load is VIT, right?

I don't think it's class based, on the same character the uchigatana doesn't lose the point, but the blacksteel katana does. May be related to scaling or something? I got no idea.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cathair posted:

Yeah, but Flynn's alone is only 49, at 60.2 equip load, which is as close as you can get to an even 60. Is that worth it for a heavy weapon? I dunno, I haven't actually tried it yet myself.

50 extra scaling bonus is loving huge. Unless you really want to use heavier armor, there's no reason not to use it.

WarpedLichen posted:

They only give 30 and cause you to lose 100 physical defense, which is pretty significant, especially if you're a caster and thus likely in light armor anyway.

Raygereio posted:

I think people would have complained more about the game's performance. From what I've picked from people who worked the game's guide, From basically gutted the lighting system to ensure the game would have a decent framerate.

It's also a questionable mechanic in the first place. It would be cool for the first playthrough, then be annoying in all future ones when you absolutely have to carry a torch or have memorized level layouts exactly.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Hey! I'm holding a not-quite-contest and giving away the winner's choice of DLC packs over on my hatemail blog, Dark Souls Haters. All you have to do is send a question/comment/story/whatever into the blog, and I'll read it on the upcoming episode of everyone's favorite goon-run Dark Souls podcast, Bonfireside Chat. We'll pick a winner in a very subjective fashion, and I'll figure out how to gift that person whatever DLC pack they want. Deadline is 8pm CST tonight. Details at this link.

(because I've been asked a couple of times, yes this includes the upcoming DLC. I'll stay in touch and figure it out when it's available, I promise)

EC fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Sep 4, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

you hosed up the first link, gj

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Genocyber posted:

It's also a questionable mechanic in the first place. It would be cool for the first playthrough, then be annoying in all future ones when you absolutely have to carry a torch or have memorized level layouts exactly.

It was fine in the previous games, I don't see why it would be any different now :shrug:

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

lordfrikk posted:

It was fine in the previous games, I don't see why it would be any different now :shrug:

The lighting engine they were going to use would have made every indoor area into the Tomb of Giants: aka. the place that turns everyone into a speedrunner because nobody wants to deal with this impossibly lovely level for a second longer than necessary.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Genocyber posted:

you hosed up the first link, gj

Coffee is a hell of a drug.

lordfrikk posted:

I'm with Geno on this, I doubt that it would have held up over long term use. I do wish there was an area besides the pit that made me use the torch, but I definitely don't want it to be the whole game.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I've been killing it in pvp lately with the sun sword in my right hand and a stone spear in my left with a quality build. I just keep stabbing people in the face as they come up, or if they roll by me I punish them with the nearly perfect sun sword tracking. All the while just keep plinking them with throwing knives.

Only problem is my damage output on the spear isn't doing too great. Is there a similarly fast mid range weapon with better damage to punish people out of range of the sun sword?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Look at some of the places where there are braziers, or where there might have been braziers, and then imagine the terrible hell that would have been. I'm perfectly happy they had to scrap that entire idea.