Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
quote =/= edit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

Heavy Metal posted:

But while we're talking, could you recommend say your five favorite ongoing books not from the Big 2? I'm always on the lookout.

Deadly Class. Southern Bastards. Stray Bullets: Killers. Saga. The Fade Out.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Sex Criminals, Southern Bastards, Rachel Rising, Manhattan Projects, and, though it's just one issue in, The Fade Out.

Seriously, The Fade Out lays down a slam dunk of a setup, feeling like a superlative effort even for Bru/Phillips. The ghost of Billy Wilder is hanging over their shoulders or something.

These are all good top 5s; comics not mentioned that I would include (which I'm pretty sure I've posted about in, like, the last page or two) are Lazarus, which is some classy dystopian science fiction, and Zero, which I don't even know how to categorize in terms of genre.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Heavy Metal posted:

Different strokes for different folks, but I do wish I had that fat Kirkman money!

But while we're talking, could you recommend say your five favorite ongoing books not from the Big 2? I'm always on the lookout.
Lazarus (dystopia-scifi by Greg Rucka), Rocket Girl (time travel story set in 1980s New York), The Wicked + The Divine (Gods of different sorts reincarnated into popstars), Sex Criminals (orgasms stop time) and Death Vigil (people die and are recruited by the Grim Reaper to fight demons)

The last one has been turned into a limited series spanning eight issues (so far there are two issues out) so it might be better to wait on a trade for that if it interests you. Rocket Girl finished its first arc and the next one will begin mid-September. Wicked + Divine hasn't finished its first arc yet but it'll be done by October if the arc lasts 5 issues like assumed.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Revival, Trees, Witchblade now that Ron Marz is back, Archer & Armstrong, Atomic Robo.

I also pick up Crossed: Badlands whenever there's a writer I trust on the cover (Ennis, Gage, Spurrier).

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

SalTheBard posted:

5. Spread - This is a newer book thats out right now. It's only 2 issues in so I'm not 100% sure how I feel about it, but I've enjoyed issues one and two thus far and I'm intersted to see where it goes. It steals Saga's narrative device but according to the author of Spread thats purely coincidental.

I agree with most of your list but I picked up the first issue of this and it didn't seem like anything that hadn't been done before. Does the second issue get better than the first?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Saga, southern bastards, prophet (just ended so I'll list another), rat queens, manhattan projects, black science

That's my 5/6 counting prophet, but there's a bunch more that i get all the time

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
Nobody is listing velvet or mind mgmt, so I'll add those to the pile.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

If you like the show, definitely pick up Bob's Burgers. It's exactly what you'd expect and it is amazing.

Also, I don't think it gets much love here but I really dig Suicide Risk but I'm a sucker for Mike Carey.

Another one I don't think mentioned here is Sixth Gun but it's winding down.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Is The Wicked + The Divine too new to put on any of these lists? I mean, Gillen's already said it's going to be closer to 30+ issues than 6.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

404GoonNotFound posted:

Is The Wicked + The Divine too new to put on any of these lists? I mean, Gillen's already said it's going to be closer to 30+ issues than 6.

I think there's just a lot of really good comics coming out in a lot of different genres. Chew is still awesome for kinda gross comedy, Black Science is great if you want crazy bullshit sci fi. Picking a best in show is tough.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Did anybody stick with Nowhere Men? I Iiked the first few issues but it dropped off my radar.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

pugnax posted:

Did anybody stick with Nowhere Men? I Iiked the first few issues but it dropped off my radar.

I really like what's come out, but it hasn't come out for a long time. I think the artist had something of a breakdown. They are going to do more issues eventually.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

RevKrule posted:

Also, I don't think it gets much love here but I really dig Suicide Risk but I'm a sucker for Mike Carey.
I haven't heard of this, bit I'm also a Carey sucker, what's it about?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

krakagar posted:

Dude reminded me it existed, so I spent my holiday afternoon getting caught up.

It's difficult to summarize, but basically, a cop in California discovers that all the super-villains plaguing the world seem to be traceable back to these two guys who are "selling" super-powers, so he pays them a visit to see what's going on. Then things go a little nuts.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I really like Suicide Risk too, it has really ramped up and gotten pretty intense.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

pugnax posted:

Read Supreme: Blue Rose #2 last night. I like it - the first issue inspired me to go reread Planetary, and after that I'm really looking forward to where Ellis takes it. My FLCS employee and I started talking about other godawful Liefield/Image books that could get the reboot treatment. Like a Gaiman Spawn, Lemire Savage Dragon,or Brubaker Wetworks.

Gaiman already worked on Spawn and then turned around and sued McFarlane so I doubt either of those guys will work with each other again (but then again, they both like money so who knows), and Larsen's always letting indie guys take a crack at his character. He's constantly running 3-5 page shorts by no-name guys who bring a unique look and story to the table in the back of his monthly book, as well as giving guys like Chris Eliopoulos a place to experiment on characters and stories (Desperate Times needs to come back NOW). Lemire would be a cool choice though to do a short story, I totally agree, and since I'm such a Larsen fanboy, I'll just go ahead and post this.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Sep 2, 2014

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

fatherboxx posted:

Brian Wood is bad writer who is yet to find a decent concept that he can't turn into gray mess. Demo and Local are alright.
He should be run out of industry for his comic-con casanova escapades anyway and it has nothing to do with his talent.

Tucker had a baby and got a job at Nobrow (I think), so there weren't any new Comics of the Weak for a year now. Good for him, he has been finding new ways to snark about bad mainstream comics for years, that poo poo can rot your brain. On the other hand, his best bud Abhay is a big baby fond of tumblr slapfights and is nowhere as interesting to read.

I second Comics and Cola, best blog to discover new small-press/imported comics.

My bad, I meant This Week in Comics. Comics of the Weak was aight, but Tucker's doing good work at Nobrow now, shipping review copies to folks like me and making us excited to get mail again.

krakagar posted:

Me too, but man, I couldn't make it past the first 2-3 issues. Did it get good after that?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Princess Ugg is pretty good too. A barbarian princess goes to finishing school. It plays around with a lot of typical tropes you'd see in this kind of story in interesting ways. The only draw back is that I'm not a fan of the faux Scottish accent

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
Greg Rucka's Lazarus is amazing. Great characters and excellent worldbuilding. My only complaint is that a month is too drat long to wait.

Plus the covers for the upcoming issues are incredible.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Did they change the cover for Issue 11 of Lazarus or is this a variant? It looks different than the cover shown on the last page of Issue 10.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

CharlestheHammer posted:

You um should.

I don't care whether you like his work or not but don't do this.

I am not a fan of Wood, but I gotta disagree with you there. Just because Frank Miller is a crazy person does not mean I should never read any of his stuff.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

lotus circle posted:

Did they change the cover for Issue 11 of Lazarus or is this a variant? It looks different than the cover shown on the last page of Issue 10.
Yeah, they changed the cover.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

I usually love Michael Lark but this is loving horrible, models straight out of Poser.
Lazarus is also not a very good comic, too much sucking up to be Hunger Games without teenagers. And yet another Strong Female Character from Greg Rucka.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
So everything that's vaguely near future science fiction is The Hunger Games now. Good to know. For a non-YA Hunger Games ripoff there's a marked lack of love triangles and characters being forced to hunt each other for sport. (Although there was a talk show and there will be formal attire, but how extravagant it is remains to be seen.)

Although strictly speaking Lazarus is pretty drat close to young adult fiction, since Forever is only 19 years old and her journey involves self-realization and acquiring her own identity. Hell, we even meet her sexy exotic superpowered love interest before the first story arc is over. Everything's just... written for adults.

Rucka's female characters, strong, are also not Strong Female Characters despite what you think. They have inner lives and motivations beyond "Grr, kicks rear end", they aren't sex objects placed in degrading and illogical outfits and positions for the male gaze, and they operate independently from the male characters in the story. Also, Forever is not Dex is not Tara is not Renee is not Kate, etc etc. They also tend to have plot agency, the lack of which is a hallmark of a Strong Female Character. Gamora in the GotG movie would be a Strong Female Character: she kicks rear end but in a skimpy, sexy outfit, and her primary roles in the plot are to spur the main male character into action, look sexy, and bat her eyes at the white male lead.

Mars4523 fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Sep 3, 2014

Adam Strange
Oct 11, 2012

He laughs. The line goes dead.
Lazarus is a pretty dull comic (like all Rucka, I find) but it's really the weird looking Lark art that gets me. Even the interiors look off - - needs a bit more Hollingsworth imo

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Mars4523 posted:

Yeah, they changed the cover.
A shame. I really liked that cover, though this one isn't bad either.

fatherboxx posted:

Lazarus is also not a very good comic, too much sucking up to be Hunger Games without teenagers. And yet another Strong Female Character from Greg Rucka.
If you actually bothered reading it you'd find it's much better than Hunger Games. It definitely caters to a "Young Adult" crowd, but the tone is a lot more grim. In HG Katniss never buys into the propaganda and is firmly against it all, while in Lazarus Forever is one of the members of the propaganda machine and is only now just questioning things. She has even more at stake because her family is part of the system, so she has to question if her morals or her loyalty is more important. Her family is firmly all she has in the world too.

Your comparison is pretty far off so to speak.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Adam Strange posted:

Lazarus is a pretty dull comic (like all Rucka, I find)

Thank you. I thought I was the only one who really tried to get into Lazarus but just found it dull as dishwater.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Mars4523 posted:

Rucka's female characters, strong, are also not Strong Female Characters despite what you think. They have inner lives and motivations beyond "Grr, kicks rear end", they aren't sex objects placed in degrading and illogical outfits and positions for the male gaze, and they operate independently from the male characters in the story. Also, Forever is not Dex is not Tara is not Renee is not Kate, etc etc. They also tend to have plot agency, the lack of which is a hallmark of a Strong Female Character. Gamora in the GotG movie would be a Strong Female Character: she kicks rear end but in a skimpy, sexy outfit, and her primary roles in the plot are to spur the main male character into action, look sexy, and bat her eyes at the white male lead.

Rucka's characters may not fall into the Strong Female Characters satirised by Beaton, but for a writer praised for writing female characters he falls back to his developed archetype of a tormented asskicker way too often. Good job, you have changed the gender of a bland action movie tuffguy, then what? Kate was the last Rucka character with anything original in her, now it is non-stop brooding.

lotus circle posted:

If you actually bothered reading it you'd find it's much better than Hunger Games. It definitely caters to a "Young Adult" crowd, but the tone is a lot more grim. In HG Katniss never buys into the propaganda and is firmly against it all, while in Lazarus Forever is one of the members of the propaganda machine and is only now just questioning things. She has even more at stake because her family is part of the system, so she has to question if her morals or her loyalty is more important. Her family is firmly all she has in the world too.

I've read the first few issues (to the point when she and her counterpart from another family get ambushed), the similarities are in the worldbuilding - post-collapse America divided by neo-feudal groups. Hunger Games have the extravagant fashion on their side, Lazarus is very dull, like a TV show with slim budget. And come on, the protagonist is going to rebel against the system eventually, there is no other way.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

bobkatt013 posted:

I am not a fan of Wood, but I gotta disagree with you there. Just because Frank Miller is a crazy person does not mean I should never read any of his stuff.

Him liking his work is not what I took issue with, as I said it my post.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
e: nevermind

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

Him liking his work is not what I took issue with, as I said it my post.

(FWIW I went back, read more, and updated my post. He's a creepy douchebag.)

That said, the last issue of The Massive was pretty odd, sad to see it rushing towards a conclusion.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Re: Lazarus, I like it quite a bit after finishing the first trade. The art is definitely a little off, Poser models came to mind for me too. But the story is cool, and postapocalyptic feudal societies are not even close to original to Hunger Games. Read Canticle for Leibowitz, or play Fallout.

I just finished Before The Incal and The Incal, after the big expensive hardcovers sat on my bookshelf for a year or so. I'm confused by both of them. Am I supposed to like them? If so, how? The IT WAS ALL A DREAM ending of both volumes was pretty terrible and felt like a kick in the balls, the story in general is meandering and too bizarre for my tastes, and the dialogue is terrible. I know it's translated from French, so maybe Humanoids just has terrible translators. Has anyone read it in the original French and can speak to the dialogue quality? I really liked Metabarons (I also have the giant expensive hardcover of that), and while the dialogue in there was kinda weird and stilted, it somehow worked a lot better than in The Incal.

And it's not like French dialogue is impossible to translate. The translation team on The Secret History does a pretty drat good job. I just got the Volume 3 omnibus and am re-reading the first two so I can get the most out of 3.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Martello posted:

I just finished Before The Incal and The Incal, after the big expensive hardcovers sat on my bookshelf for a year or so. I'm confused by both of them. Am I supposed to like them? If so, how? The IT WAS ALL A DREAM ending of both volumes was pretty terrible and felt like a kick in the balls, the story in general is meandering and too bizarre for my tastes, and the dialogue is terrible. I know it's translated from French, so maybe Humanoids just has terrible translators. Has anyone read it in the original French and can speak to the dialogue quality? I really liked Metabarons (I also have the giant expensive hardcover of that), and while the dialogue in there was kinda weird and stilted, it somehow worked a lot better than in The Incal.

That's a shame, I've known about The Incal vaguely for a while, but after watching Jodorowsky's Dune I was really interested in reading it. Maybe I'll just save my money for Metabarons.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Chairman Capone posted:

That's a shame, I've known about The Incal vaguely for a while, but after watching Jodorowsky's Dune I was really interested in reading it. Maybe I'll just save my money for Metabarons.

Don't be swayed. While I agree that it's meandering and bizarre, it's the zenith of what a meandering and bizarre comic can be.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
HOly poo poo I did not see the end of Southern Bastards #4 coming.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

SalTheBard posted:

HOly poo poo I did not see the end of Southern Bastards #4 coming.

Yeah, really looking forward to how it continues to unfold.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Don't be swayed. While I agree that it's meandering and bizarre, it's the zenith of what a meandering and bizarre comic can be.

Can you elaborate on that? I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm genuinely interested in what makes people think it's a great book. I really wanted to like it, after reading a lot of hype and loving Metabarons, but it was a chore to finish. Maybe I'm missing something.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Martello posted:

Can you elaborate on that? I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm genuinely interested in what makes people think it's a great book. I really wanted to like it, after reading a lot of hype and loving Metabarons, but it was a chore to finish. Maybe I'm missing something.

Dope Moebius artwork and Jodorowsky being all weird, also there's a talking pterodactyl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Martello posted:

I find Jodorowsky's writing to be pretty lacking in general in what I've read of his so maybe you just happened to like the Gimenez art more than the Moebius and the more "shouting" storytelling of Metabarons than Incal's,-er quieter storytelling. I thought Before the Incal was pretty terrible because the art just wasn't up to snuff to cover up the writing problems. I'm not sure how much of this is due to translation, though, as I've been reading early Heavy Metal and a lot of it takes a beating when words appear.