Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I get the feeling their having technical difficulties, otherwise the PR guy should be fired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
Edit: Never mind. I'm under construction.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

TrueChaos posted:

I get the feeling their having technical difficulties, otherwise the PR guy should be fired.

The EU stream didn't reveal any details either. The dude just introduced the design, took off the cover and was never heard from again.

quackman
Jan 25, 2004
Chapstick

Here are some more/larger ones: http://www.netcarshow.com/mazda/2016-mx-5/

Looks Alfa-ish to me, especially in the red! Hood-to-fender areas remind me of the Subaru BRZ.

I hate the trend of press "photos" now being renders. They almost had me fooled on this one until I saw the closeup of the wheel picture. Why is it so hard to just take professional photos for a huge release like this? Renders just have an off, odd look to them, IMO.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

quackman posted:

I hate the trend of press "photos" now being renders. They almost had me fooled on this one until I saw the closeup of the wheel picture. Why is it so hard to just take professional photos for a huge release like this? Renders just have an off, odd look to them, IMO.
Here, have some live pictures. http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/new-mazda-mx-5-revealed

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Worst unveiling ever

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Tires on the car are Yokohamas in 195/50R16.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I'm more excited than i was this morning. They seem to have built the closest thing to the NA they could while conforming to modern fuel econemy and safety regulations.

People will of course hate it because it will have less than 170 horsepower and if you make a car with less than 300 in this day and age its not enough.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
The new design doesn't blow me away, but it sure does look pretty darn good.. However, the profile makes me absolutely swoon. :swoon:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Actual new info being talked about?

Crabby Abby
Apr 26, 2006

I'm the graph in the OP

Phone posted:

Actual new info being talked about?

The guy is back on the feed now talking. No real info yet.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

FireTora posted:

Worst unveiling ever

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

TheGoatTrick posted:

The Mazda system works really, really well. So does iDrive.

The interior looks like the new 2.

Yup, the non-touchscreen display out of reach plus iDrive style knob-thingy is The Future. Touchscreens in cars are unsafe.

I'm sure if you really don't want it, Mazda will let you put this awful thing in place of the nav screen just like the 3.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Yup, the non-touchscreen display out of reach plus iDrive style knob-thingy is The Future. Touchscreens in cars are unsafe.

I'm sure if you really don't want it, Mazda will let you put this awful thing in place of the nav screen just like the 3.

I hate both of them

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams
best angle?

4 lug wheels and single side exhaust

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

There is a 17" wheel option, which isn't really surprising I guess

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
"Alright, I drew that out as long as I could"

Fuckin' :laffo:

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Best angle is from the side I think. Kind of ugly from the front, mostly the lights. Back is meh.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

We're not getting the real specs are we?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Phone posted:

"Alright, I drew that out as long as I could"

Fuckin' :laffo:

Yeah hahaha I laughed when i heard that

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I assumed the event was over after the post-duran duran 25 minute idle screen. Tuned back in just in time to catch the end of the "Presentation".

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Bovril Delight posted:

We're not getting the real specs are we?

If the local rival club's president is to be believed... I'll just quote him

quote:

The inside information says drivetrain will be the skyactive 2.0 with about 195hp ,weight under 2300.

quote:

The Mazda3 gets 185hp in 2015 ,,, it's not going to be below that and according to our friends Mazdaspeed it will be 17x7 wheels with 205s with a 17x7.5 and 225 option...... But that's just what the Mazdaspeed guys told us at VIR 2 weeks ago,, I'm sure they could be wrong.

quote:

According to our info the 3and MX-5 in 2015 would share the same 2.0 and it would be right at 195hp....turbo versions at 235hp....but that came from Mazda Reps... ImI'm sure they were mistaken.

quote:

And besides he even said there would be a 15-20% HP increase over current models... Those are at 167hp now

I told him "yeah, and my uncle works at Nintendo".

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Phone posted:

I told him "yeah, and my uncle works at Nintendo".

I bet your uncle works at Nintendo, doesn't he?

:ohdear:

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I've got a more solid source: "The Mx5 has always had the 323/3's engine. They still sell a mazda 3, which puts the new one at 155 horsepower". (The 184hp engine is only available with an automatic transmission)

My uncle is a gay real estate agent.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 4, 2014

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Still better, at least it showed a feature.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
I was stuck with my cellphone trying to figure out why the feed wasn't working.

Oh.

:wtf:

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

MattD1zzl3 posted:

The 184hp engine is only available with an automatic
The 3 is available with the 2.5 and a manual as of last week. But that seems irrelevant as you've been able to get a 3 with more power than a Miata for a while now.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
This is the launch miata.net deserves

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Good interior shot.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/this-is-the-new-mazda-mx5-miata-2014-9-4

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

8ender posted:

This is the launch miata.net deserves

Truer words have never been spoken.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
This car interior trend of having what looks like a $100 grocery store tablet glued to the dash as the infotainment screen needs to stop. It looks like poo poo.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

The front looks like it was made in Italy. The back looks like it was made in England. And the thing is actually made in Japan. Good work, Mazda.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

8ender posted:

This car interior trend of having what looks like a $100 grocery store tablet glued to the dash as the infotainment screen needs to stop. It looks like poo poo.

Mandatory backup cameras. Get used to it, chief.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

It looks like there's a little bit more going on mechanically around the screen vs. the 3, and it's slimmer, so maybe it folds down? That'd be nice.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Phone posted:

Stupidest law

DrChu
May 14, 2002

What does a car with no roof need? A big glossy screen that will cause a lot of glare and glossy plastic panels that will heat up to a million degrees in no time.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

You can put an LCD in a car without it looking like it's a tablet on a walmart dock. Hell, it doesn't even need to make its presence known when it's off, Toyota has been putting the rearview cam screens in the rearview mirror for a few years now.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Tommychu posted:

You can put an LCD in a car without it looking like it's a tablet on a walmart dock. Hell, it doesn't even need to make its presence known when it's off, Toyota has been putting the rearview cam screens in the rearview mirror for a few years now.

Mazda does that in every car unfortunately

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

DrChu posted:

What does a car with no roof need? A big glossy screen that will cause a lot of glare and glossy plastic panels that will heat up to a million degrees in no time.

Look at those headrests and how high up the boot sits. Even with the top down it's going to be a total pain to see behind you unless you're very tall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Phone posted:

Is this really a law? You gotta be kidding me.