Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Spacebump posted:

Maybe best Zelda game with a wolf in it.

Yes

Everyone knows the best zelda is spirit tracks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
But seriously, the only good Zelda they ever made was BS Zelda.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Hey, that $5 Nintendo gave me rear end long ago is finally proving useful in my purchase of the MK 8 DLC. Thanks Nintendo. You're swell.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

VelociBacon posted:

After this shitstorm debate about which Zelda etc etc I went to Walmart and the fat lady with nicotine stained teeth who opened the locked cabinet thing to take it out for me (stocked right beside skyward) was like 'Oh yeah Zelda is a good game'. Hell yeah it is lady.

This post made me smile. :)

I'm really glad you like Wind Waker. It's my personal favorite Zelda. Screw all the haters!

Inverness posted:

I just got to walmart.com to see if something is in stock. I bought my 3DS, Wii U, and all of their initial games from Walmart.

I got my Wii U from Walmart.com. They had this bundle thing for the system, NSMBU, and a Wii remote. Not even sure if there was any discount for it, now that I think about it, but it was convenient to just buy them all at once and have them dropped on our doorstep in one big box.

Suaimhneas posted:

The best Zelda game is Okami.

I agree with this statement 100%

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

What do you mean 'no performing monkeys'?
As per requests I've made the intro less obnoxious, and I've made the end more... end-like.
So here is my review of Bombing Bastards: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD-_zmJfKzk

Here are the cliff notes:
  • The multiplayer is pretty much average, and not as good as probably any Bomberman game you've played.
  • The single player is actually a good experience, it's loving hard. The boss fights are great though, and manage to throw curveballs despite the fact it's just Bomberman.
  • It's good value for money all things considered, and it's genuinely difficult and mean enough that it made me feel like I was playing a game from the olden days, in a mostly good way.

Anyone who can do neat editing tricks I would appreciate some feedback on how to make all of my zany special FX less awful, PM's are a go.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
^^I can't comment on the new video as I can't watch it right now, but I can tell you that the Armillo patch should be out in North America tomorrow (Sep 5).

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

What do you mean 'no performing monkeys'?

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

^^I can't comment on the new video as I can't watch it right now, but I can tell you that the Armillo patch should be out in North America tomorrow (Sep 5).

I'm in the EU! But as soon as that patch hits I'll try to 100% the game/see if that's actually achievable now and feed back.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Is this new or have I been under a rock for awhile?

http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/buynow/#supermario3dworld-bundle

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They announced it on the same day as the New 3DS and some other stuff, there's also a Walmart-exclusive version with Mario Kart instead of 3D World.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

homeless snail posted:

A hundred boats slowly make their way towards Normandy's sandy shores, ready to unload their cargo of a thousand squid girls. The door falls open revealing the horrors of the battlefield as the music swells, then a sudden cut to black. The word Splatoon dramatically fades onto the screen.

I kind of hope Splatoon's single player is a free-roam hub where you get to missions by using your ink and squid powers.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Gunzil posted:

The Zelda minigame in Nintendoland on the other hand gives you a large amount of enemies with interesting patterns and relationships so if anyone wants to experience the good parts of Skyward Sword just play that.

Skyward Sword had great dungeons and those cool timebubbles though. And Groose.

Really it (along with Twilight Princess) suffered from having pretty prominent features that were just half-developed. Like the whole "Link is a Skyward Knight who has a special bond with his riding bird" thing, and then the bird is never relevant to anything. Or Fi being some kind of ancient robot sword spirit who does inexplicable singing dances after each dungeon, but is boring as poo poo the rest of the time.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

TheRam posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/graphitelab/hive-jump-0

This game needs to get backed for like $4,000 more in the next 50 hours, seems pretty likely.
I'm not affiliated with them, and I want people to go do it, it's $15 to get a free copy on release (Wii U or PC) and name a character something (sadly all the $10 free copy ones are gone).

Edit: god drat just found the soundtrack previews on the page, it looks and sounds beautiful.

Thanks for pointing this out. Game looks interesting enough to see where how it develops so I went ahead and threw them a few dollars. The video looks a bit samey at times due to only having a few enemy and environment types so far but there seems to be promise here.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

noirstronaut posted:

drat, as someone who just bought the Mario + Luigi U bundle, I much rather would've had this one.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

VelociBacon posted:

Thanks guys wind waker is fantastic!

Made the right choice.

If you still have a Zelda itch after finishing, you can try old 2D Zelda with Link to the Past on the WiiU VC (it's in the eShop) or old 3D Zelda with Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, both in the Wii VC (not the eShop).

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

TheRam posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/graphitelab/hive-jump-0

This game needs to get backed for like $4,000 more in the next 50 hours, seems pretty likely.
I'm not affiliated with them, and I want people to go do it, it's $15 to get a free copy on release (Wii U or PC) and name a character something (sadly all the $10 free copy ones are gone).

Edit: god drat just found the soundtrack previews on the page, it looks and sounds beautiful.

Amazon Payments blocked my account a year ago because I couldn't fax them my information (the e-mail straight-up said it's the only way they'd be able to verify the information) so I can't back through KS, but the devs on Twitter said that if they make it 100% funded they'll honor the tier rewards for at least a month or so through PayPal donations. I really hope this game makes it because it looks sweet and I want to name a character something stupid.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

VelociBacon posted:

Thanks guys wind waker is fantastic!

I'm glad you like it, friend. :)

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

noirstronaut posted:

You can find the Wii U Skylanders SWAP Force Bundle in Australia for $179 weirdly enough

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Am I crazy in thinking it's almost too obvious that Nintendo will announce the Wii U Animal Crossing to coincide with the Mario Kart 8 DLC?

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

noirstronaut posted:

Am I crazy in thinking it's almost too obvious that Nintendo will announce the Wii U Animal Crossing to coincide with the Mario Kart 8 DLC?

I doubt it'll be out that soon. However, I am pretty sure that a Wii U Animal Crossing is in the works and it's gonna take full advantage of amiibos.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
We know they already have high quality hd models of the characters.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dunban posted:

I doubt it'll be out that soon. However, I am pretty sure that a Wii U Animal Crossing is in the works and it's gonna take full advantage of amiibos.

If that's true, and I think it very well will be, then I'm doomed.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

They can't make a Wii U Animal Crossing, because then I'll have to run two towns simultaneously because I will never abandon Mervburg on my 3DS. :negative:

^^ haha yup Amiibos in AC will also murder me stop stealing all my time and money Nintendo :mad: ^^

codenameFANGIO fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Sep 4, 2014

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
When does the eshop update its prices? I want to grab some of those on sale Zelda games but the eshop still has normal pricing on them

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

fruitpunch posted:

When does the eshop update its prices? I want to grab some of those on sale Zelda games but the eshop still has normal pricing on them

In about 1 hour.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Cross-posting from the Smash Buddies thread:

JordanKai posted:

:siren: BREAKING NEWS :siren:

Nintendo UK has listed 'November 2014' as the release date for the Smash Bros amiibos.

http://store.nintendo.co.uk/amiibo/villager-no.9/10993681.html

You guys know what that means. :getin:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Goddamn, buying the entire first run of those would be a really loving stupid decision, wouldn't it?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Hakkesshu posted:

Goddamn, buying the entire first run of those would be a really loving stupid decision, wouldn't it?

I'm not saying it would be a good idea.

But I'm also not saying that you shouldn't do it.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is the best game I've ever played.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
It succeeds on every level its possible to succeed as a game.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The boss fights are lovely and way too long. I've put the game down for over a month multiple times because of how boring it got going through the same escalating patterns over and over, only to die on the last pattern.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

greatn posted:

The boss fights are lovely and way too long. I've put the game down for over a month multiple times because of how boring it got going through the same escalating patterns over and over, only to die on the last pattern.

You're going to hate the final boss. That said, what boss in particular is giving you trouble? Make sure to grab extra hearts from spawning enemies!

E: Personally, I enjoyed the bosses. Its a change on gameplay and I only really had trouble with two, and the grueling nature of them gave winning real oomph. It felt like a really battle, as opposed to in most games in which bosses are killed your first try like say,Mario 3D World. I agree that they could have used some more ways to get hit, especially the final boss.

Austrian mook fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Sep 4, 2014

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Hakkesshu posted:

On the other hand, think of the collectors value when all the doomsayers finally get it right and Nintendo dies.

Austrian mook posted:

You're going to hate the final boss. That said, what boss in particular is giving you trouble? Make sure to grab extra hearts from spawning enemies!

E: Personally, I enjoyed the bosses. Its a change on gameplay and I only really had trouble with two, and the grueling nature of them gave winning real oomph. It felt like a really battle, as opposed to in most games in which bosses are killed your first try like say,Mario 3D World. I agree that they could have used some more ways to get hit, especially the final boss.

I've only fought two bosses and I rather enjoyed both. I especially liked the use of cannons in the owl boss.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

greatn posted:

Man I thought the bosses were poorly done but not THAT poorly done. All the non- boss levels being so stellar really helps.

Actually I take that back. The Pufferfish boss was THAT poorly done. That was horseshit.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I actually had no problem with the pufferfish, got him second or third try. The baboon made me put the game down for a month and the polar bear has made me currently put down the game for going on three months.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I just honestly think retro knocked it out of the park with Tropical Freeze. The level design is immaculate, every level has something new or unique, and since there's so much variety nothing overstayed its welcome. You could design entire Steam 10$ titles around some of the ideas they crank out for a single level. The game looks and sounds great, the soundtrack is a real highlight. Wise does another terrific job and brings back a lot of great tracks but it never feels pander-y. He evokes the feel of the older games while still making something great, the Rocket Barrel themes are a highlight for me, although it helps they were my favorite part of this game and the last. The game also plays so loving tight, shaking to roll is gone which is fantastic. Playing the game well just feels terrific, even better than Mario does. Did I mention I like this game?

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Austrian mook posted:

I just honestly think retro knocked it out of the park with Tropical Freeze. The level design is immaculate, every level has something new or unique, and since there's so much variety nothing overstayed its welcome. You could design entire Steam 10$ titles around some of the ideas they crank out for a single level. The game looks and sounds great, the soundtrack is a real highlight. Wise does another terrific job and brings back a lot of great tracks but it never feels pander-y. He evokes the feel of the older games while still making something great, the Rocket Barrel themes are a highlight for me, although it helps they were my favorite part of this game and the last. The game also plays so loving tight, shaking to roll is gone which is fantastic. Playing the game well just feels terrific, even better than Mario does. Did I mention I like this game?

Half the reason I love the game is that they got David Wise back to the music. It has the obligatory remixes of the classic themes, but there's a lot of standout tracks among the new ones, too. (Busted Bayou is a big standout.)

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Are the bosses in TF better or worse than Returns?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

nachos posted:

Are the bosses in TF better or worse than Returns?

They're a lot more interesting to fight but they really do have a bunch of patters that can take a while to play out.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Everyone's making me want to play TF. I have it, but it's sitting on the side because I've been playing a lot of platformers on it (obviously). When I'm done Wind Waker, I think that'll be the next game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Tropical Freeze has been my favorite game in a long while. I don't remember the last time a gorgeous big budget platformer was this demanding and satisfying.

I'll also go ahead and say I really enjoy the bosses. Learning the patterns is a lot of fun and they are loving unforgiving. I can see not liking them or finding them tedious but to me it feels like a throwback in a very real way.

• Locked thread