Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

stuxracer posted:

"why do you keep saying cloud over and over, guy who just attended a conference"

Yes, our hot garbage ancient things can just be pushed into magical fairy land and it will never have issues. We would be loving lost without this insight every time we discuss any application :thumbsup:

"But you see, if we just move it into the cloud butt.

VVVVVVV

Well played

dogstile fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Sep 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

dogstile posted:

"But you see, if we just move it into the my cloud butt.

Fixed that for you.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

stuxracer posted:

"why do you keep saying cloud over and over, guy who just attended a conference"

Yes, our hot garbage ancient things can just be pushed into magical fairy land and it will never have issues. We would be loving lost without this insight every time we discuss any application :thumbsup:

The one good thing about working in medical IT is being able to shoot down the vendors as soon as the word "cloud" comes out of their word holes. We're not even allowed to have data in clear-text in RAM on a message broker when in transit between different hospitals (but still inside our internal network), storing anything in the could is right out.

But now a new project is starting up, the vendor/developer wants to use SSL and AZURE, and we're not allowed to talk to them because the hospital in question hasn't formally requested our help yet (meaning we have no billable hours to spend straight-talking the vendor).
:negative:

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

evol262 posted:

Yes, though it's just a cliche in the industry, as much as "new sysadmin wants to redo deployment from scratch" and "why the hell are you using shell scripts when you should be using puppet?" and everything else. People new to an environment almost always find it alien and confusing and want to redo it all in a way that makes sense to them.

Or they made the same mistakes before and offer suggestions.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

stuxracer posted:

"Oh but you see nothing ever fails in the cloud and Amazon Web Services has eleven nines of uptime so proper architecting of our application is a thing of the past! We just put it in the cloud and reap massive profits!"

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Caconym posted:

The one good thing about working in medical IT is being able to shoot down the vendors as soon as the word "cloud" comes out of their word holes. We're not even allowed to have data in clear-text in RAM on a message broker when in transit between different hospitals (but still inside our internal network), storing anything in the could is right out.

The cloud's answer this is apparently java VPN tunnels. I hate them all, every single one of them.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

swampcow posted:

Or they made the same mistakes before and offer suggestions.

This attitude is the problem. "I'm new here but I know you're making mistakes, do it my way". You have no idea why they do it the way they do, how their application/deployment strategy/failover/whatever works.

Giving suggestions is great. Once you've been there for a few months and you understand their environment and its pitfalls. Spending your time bemoaning their "mistakes" and clamoring to scrap it helps no one, including yourself. Don't be that new guy who rolls his eyes at everything.

captaingimpy
Aug 3, 2004

I luv me some pirate booty, and I'm not talkin' about the gold!
Fun Shoe

hihifellow posted:

The cloud's answer this is apparently java VPN tunnels. I hate them all, every single one of them.

Between that and random maintenance windows. Granted, they give enough of a heads up, but we run 24/7, so queue up a maintenance window to move a workload to a different "Region" to avoid a 30 minute outage during a 7 hour window, or spending more money on "availability sets". I really do like the platforms, and I think our dev and test environments will move to my butt at some point, but there are some definite growing pains in trying to figure out how to jam legacy/traditional Windows apps into the environment.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

evol262 posted:

This attitude is the problem. "I'm new here but I know you're making mistakes, do it my way". You have no idea why they do it the way they do, how their application/deployment strategy/failover/whatever works.

Giving suggestions is great. Once you've been there for a few months and you understand their environment and its pitfalls. Spending your time bemoaning their "mistakes" and clamoring to scrap it helps no one, including yourself. Don't be that new guy who rolls his eyes at everything.

Well, not necessarily. There are some cases where something is just so outright wrong that you really don't need to understand the environment, e.g. a development company with a home-grown CMS that uses... absolutely no source control or bug tracking. But in the majority of cases this (hopefully) doesn't apply.

Speaking of poo poo pissing me off:

quote:

:downs: (manager): what are you working on right now
:eng101:: I'm working on $task right now, no ETA on when it'll be done yet.
:downs:: Do you need the CTO's help?
:eng101:: No thanks, I've got it under control.

2 minutes later

:pseudo: (CTO): hi $manager said you needed help (unprompted and generally incorrect advice follows)
:eng101:: thanks :confused:

Always really cool when the people in charge don't trust you to actually get your job done :toot:

Fake edit: I should mention this is the same CTO who, not knowing how to parse a command line properly, used something like "arg1!!!arg2!!!a@@longer@@arg3!!!arg4" for his VB6 project. In 2011. :cripes:

Zamujasa fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Sep 4, 2014

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

evol262 posted:

What attitude? I think you're assuming a lot. You're hired for your experience. I never said to kick down the door and sneer at people. But if you don't use your experience effectively, you're short-changing your employer.

And in my experience, a lot of design choices were just stopgaps put in place for various reasons, such as, "We didn't have a lot of time before the big audit." Or, "Some long-gone developer set up that machine and spit acid anytime someone asked questions about it." Keeping an old process just because it's old is as bad a reason as changing something for the sake of change.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I wasn't talking about a new person putting together a list a good reasons why we should do things differently.

My problem is that we went through two developers in less than a year who each started rewriting the codebase for a particular project because the previous guy's code "sucked". It went from c++ to python to ruby, nothing was ever finished, and each person left after 6 months or so.

The first dev got their shiny new MBP because he hated his Dell. His replacement bitched about his 6 month old MBP and even put it down as one of his reasons for leaving the company after six months.

It is definitely a management problem, but I just work here. I do think I would have the scruples not to invoke a change of the sorts if I was looking for a different job.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

swampcow posted:

What attitude? I think you're assuming a lot. You're hired for your experience. I never said to kick down the door and sneer at people. But if you don't use your experience effectively, you're short-changing your employer.

And in my experience, a lot of design choices were just stopgaps put in place for various reasons, such as, "We didn't have a lot of time before the big audit." Or, "Some long-gone developer set up that machine and spit acid anytime someone asked questions about it." Keeping an old process just because it's old is as bad a reason as changing something for the sake of change.

Yes and no. You're hired for your experience, yes, presumably in successfully navigating and modernizing old environments. What's missing from your characterization is "new employee", as it was a new developer I was originally talking about.

There's no reason to change for the sake or change or keep old things for the sake of being old. But there is a need to understand the scope of the old thing, how it fits into existing processes, retraining time, etc.

Old or bad processes/code should be replaced, and I'm not saying they shouldn't. I'm saying that, while putting it on your eventual "to do" list is good, constantly harping on it when you don't have a grasp on the way it works is common. Spending enough time that you're no longer a "new ${title}" before you decide to make potentially destructive changes isn't an onerous request.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I think I just started That Job. The one you guys all talk about.
  • Everyone's password is in an Excel spreadsheet. It's not even password-protected. This policy is enforced by the IT Director, who says it is easier to help users with their passwords.
  • CIO is the IT Director's son.
  • IT Director is also somehow the ShoreTel vendor?
  • IT Director was out traveling today, so I spent the majority of my first day hearing about how the IT Director is a nice guy, but extremely bad at his job. Very bad at puns.
  • No volume licenses. Win 7 Professional, not Enterprise. Microsoft began an audit back in January and didn't like what they found.
  • Didn't grab pictures of the server room or the storage closets yet, but it's pretty bad. One storage closet has like 400 Wyse thin clients, a handful of Dell servers, and two dozen laptops just hanging out. The door is locked, but this room also has a window.
  • I didn't get keys to that room, but I did get domain admin.
  • Desktops are being replaced with thin clients, which seems to be working well, but everyone not on a thin client has local admin.
My coworkers seem excited to make changes, which is good, but I'm not sure I'm looking forward to meeting the boss tomorrow.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

anthonypants posted:

I'm not sure I'm looking forward to meeting the boss tomorrow.

I'm thinking he's going to be like Mr. Kruger, George's boss on Seinfeld.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
I know it's been said a billion times in these threads, but seriously: gently caress Printers. Also, gently caress this terrible printer repair company that corporate forced us to use. We've gotten so many goddamn tickets for printers ever since these guys took over, it's not even funny.

It's in the contract that if a printer has been repaired 6 times in 60 days that we're supposed to get brand new replacements. Well, we've had multiple printers that have been worked on more than that in that amount of time, yet... no new printers. It's also in their contract that after they fix the printer, they're supposed to deliver them back to the end user. They haven't been doing that. We've brought this up to the director, but I doubt anything will happen. He's quite the blowhard.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

stubblyhead posted:

I'm thinking he's going to be like Mr. Kruger, George's boss on Seinfeld.
If my next boss is George Steinbrenner, then I'm okay with this.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

anthonypants posted:

[*]CIO is the IT Director's son.
[*]IT Director is also somehow the ShoreTel vendor?
nepo. the best 'tism. We had a similar thing with QA resources. A director (75+ contractors reporting) "partnered" with a company owned by her loving brother. Somehow this lasted for years without anyone thinking this might be shady.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

stuxracer posted:

nepo. the best 'tism. We had a similar thing with QA resources. A director (75+ contractors reporting) "partnered" with a company owned by her loving brother. Somehow this lasted for years without anyone thinking this might be shady.

It makes me quesy that my director goes on golf vacations and Vegas trips with the managers of one of our vendors. He pays his own way, but when you get all buddy-buddy you lose objectivity.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

tomapot posted:

It makes me quesy that my director goes on golf vacations and Vegas trips with the managers of one of our vendors. He pays his own way, but when you get all buddy-buddy you lose objectivity.

I think golf, strip clubs, and drinking are time-honored sales relationship strategies.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

evol262 posted:

I think golf, strip clubs, and drinking are time-honored sales relationship strategies.

The only bribe I ever got was a bluetooth headset :(

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

evobatman posted:

I went on a HP sponsored trip to CERN, with everything paid and a set of nice luggage thrown in just to show off HP logos.

The trip actually had some drat good content talking with the HP Networking development team, but the nights did get pretty.. fun, with our French 50-year old female guide who knew all the sleazy places in Genova and kept telling us we should totally get "a date" with one of the girls there because that's apparently what married men need (?!) and the bill had already been taken care of.

I should go on more HP sponsored trips.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

evobatman posted:

CDW flew me to Vegas for a visit to the distribution facility. I only got one night, but got treated to a fantastic dinner at Caesar's. That warehouse is amazing, it's almost totally automated, dead quiet, and empty of people. Half a million square feet of shelves and conveyor belts, but only about 35 people during a busy period. The 25,000 square feet or so of build lab had almost as many people working in it.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I seem to pretty reliably get free lunches and tshirts. Never been able to grift any freebies bigger than that before.

Earlier I posted about how I hate late hires and how people were pushing HR people to forge sign-on agreements. It's somehow managed to get worse. One of my techs came to tell me that he had been told to go take another departments used laptop to setup for a new hire in admin. When he protested he was reminded that he was speaking to the CEO's admin assistant and that she has gotten people fired before. HOLY poo poo!!! What the hell is wrong with these people? Basically she put in a new hire on Friday afternoon who of course is going to start on Monday and she didnt want a crappy loaner laptop until then and forced this poor guy to go take another departments laptop. I have a meeting with HR today about this and the entire new hire process but I doubt it goes anywhere.

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

evol262 posted:

Spending enough time that you're no longer a "new ${title}" before you decide to make potentially destructive changes isn't an onerous request.

I don't remember advocating the blind destruction of existing systems.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Why the gently caress people keep on changing the pattern of the strings they create?

1. fooBarPooFoo
2. foo-bar-poo
3. foo-barPoo-foo
4. FOO-Bar-poo
5. FOO_BAR_POO

Just loving stick to one pattern!

(this is one person who does css)

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

swampcow posted:

I don't remember advocating the blind destruction of existing systems.
This isn't about you personally. Please stop taking it personally and making strawman arguments.

ghostinmyshell posted:

Finally, my boss put his foot down on a new developer hire who wanted to rewrite everything and switch up how we do things around here. I should buy him a beer.

evol262 posted:

Yes, though it's just a cliche in the industry, as much as "new sysadmin wants to redo deployment from scratch" and "why the hell are you using shell scripts when you should be using puppet?" and everything else. People new to an environment almost always find it alien and confusing and want to redo it all in a way that makes sense to them.

People new to a environment whose priority is scrapping or rewriting are inevitably blindly destroying existing systems.

Again, I think redoing old stuff to match best practices is good, and people should be doing it. But you should have a handle on how your shop works and what the consequences are first. This is virtually impossible when you're new, and made harder if your response to every issue is "well, we wouldn't have that problem if we did it my way", no matter how true it is.

If you're new enough that the above posts (both of which refer to "new" employees) apply to you, you almost certainly are "blindly" advocating destruction because there's no way you have a handle on it.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

eithedog posted:

Why the gently caress people keep on changing the pattern of the strings they create?

1. fooBarPooFoo
2. foo-bar-poo
3. foo-barPoo-foo
4. FOO-Bar-poo
5. FOO_BAR_POO

Just loving stick to one pattern!

(this is one person who does css)

The best thing is when the variable naming convention keeps changing. Today it is Polish Notation, tomorrow it is whatever the Tech Arch thinks is better, the day after it is write really long variable names that describe what it does in detail because hey you won't have to write the whole thing out due to Intelisense.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Global variables start with caps.
Variables inside of your function are lowercase:
Defines and Macros should be all caps.

code:
void butts(int Farts)
{
    int myvar = 0;
    char buffer[BUFFSIZE] = {0};
    Global.Struct.Variable = 0;
    Farts = 0;
}
:colbert:

canis minor
May 4, 2011

BigPaddy posted:

The best thing is when the variable naming convention keeps changing. Today it is Polish Notation, tomorrow it is whatever the Tech Arch thinks is better, the day after it is write really long variable names that describe what it does in detail because hey you won't have to write the whole thing out due to Intelisense.

I would understand if hyphenated pattern would be **the special** thing. No - it changes all the loving time between all inane variation.

canis minor fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 4, 2014

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

evol262 posted:

But you should have a handle on how your shop works and what the consequences are first.

No poo poo.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Crowley posted:

I went on a HP sponsored trip to CERN, with everything paid and a set of nice luggage thrown in just to show off HP logos.

The trip actually had some drat good content talking with the HP Networking development team, but the nights did get pretty.. fun, with our French 50-year old female guide who knew all the sleazy places in Genova and kept telling us we should totally get "a date" with one of the girls there because that's apparently what married men need (?!) and the bill had already been taken care of.

Hewlett-Prostitution :quagmire:

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

evol262 posted:

This isn't about you personally. Please stop taking it personally and making strawman arguments.

People new to a environment whose priority is scrapping or rewriting are inevitably blindly destroying existing systems.

Again, I think redoing old stuff to match best practices is good, and people should be doing it. But you should have a handle on how your shop works and what the consequences are first. This is virtually impossible when you're new, and made harder if your response to every issue is "well, we wouldn't have that problem if we did it my way", no matter how true it is.

If you're new enough that the above posts (both of which refer to "new" employees) apply to you, you almost certainly are "blindly" advocating destruction because there's no way you have a handle on it.

I am going to give an example that is in no way directed to any poster, but is exactly what evol is describing. We had a brand new Oracle DBA. Actually it turned out that he did desktop support for Oracle, but used his employment to take a bunch of free Oracle training. He had all book knowledge and very little experience. Upon starting, he logged into the production servers and saw that the application servers for various geographies had the same database SID. One of the first things the books tell you is that all databases should have a unique SID. Did he bring this to anyone's attention? No. Instead he logged into each server and made the SID unique.

Of course the application that accessed the database had the SID hard coded, and the whole application server existed as a package of database, scripts and web server, so making this change brought down production everywhere. It is the first time I have ever seen a lessons learned document state "do not allow xxxx access to production."

The guy had good intentions, I guess, although this was just the first in a string of things that eventually put him on the layoff list. If he had just asked anyone, he would have gotten information about why things were that way, but instead he came in thinking he knew better.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Crowley posted:

At least I now understand why HP manages to continue to sell printers.

it sure as poo poo has nothing to do with quality or usability or value for money

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

beepsandboops posted:

Our back room is getting cramped with old equipment, including Windows 9x boxes, 15+ year old switches, and Pentium servers.

I found a company located down the street from us that would pick up all of our old gear, destroy the data, and recycle it for a flat fee that's <$100. I emailed my boss with all of the details months ago and movement has been slow to non-existent.

Not sure what's the hold up when all of the legwork has already been done, but maybe this is a sign that I should just load up Quake on one of the machines.
Just tear out all the hard drives, toss them in a box and call one of those "we pick up metal scrap for free!" places to take care of the rest of the junk.

I have a box here that contains probably 10-15 years worth of disused hard drives. Some day I'll make a huge batch of thermite and turn them all into a solid chunk of metal.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I know we bring it up a bunch but it is insane how people get away with knowing nothing about computers. Somehow it is my fault someone does not know what forward slash is. This is like not knowing which end of the hammer to hold when your job is driving in nails.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I run into the backslash thing a lot and have taken to specifying before they can gently caress it up. The really strange thing is that, while they will generally go to the forward slash when they hear "backslash," they will go to the same key if you say "slash" or "forward slash," and won't see the problem until you explain.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I think all the people who started on DOS finally quit using backslash in web browsers, or died off.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Earlier I posted about how I hate late hires and how people were pushing HR people to forge sign-on agreements. It's somehow managed to get worse. One of my techs came to tell me that he had been told to go take another departments used laptop to setup for a new hire in admin. When he protested he was reminded that he was speaking to the CEO's admin assistant and that she has gotten people fired before. HOLY poo poo!!! What the hell is wrong with these people? Basically she put in a new hire on Friday afternoon who of course is going to start on Monday and she didnt want a crappy loaner laptop until then and forced this poor guy to go take another departments laptop. I have a meeting with HR today about this and the entire new hire process but I doubt it goes anywhere.

If your department acts like a doormat for long enough people will treat you like a doormat.

The way to change it will be painful and will need the backing of a director level person but it can be done. The way to do it without looking like a jerk is in the HR meeting tell them that you the IT dept are too overstretched to be able to do this any longer and either the SLA's get adhered to or you get another warm body. If they don't like either option tell them that you can do the last minute jobs but the requesting dept will have to foot the cost of not only the equipment, but the cost of getting it to you via overnight express shipping and to pay for a contractor to set it up for them. This will cost $X per case.

After the meeting send an email to the HR people confirming everything you have said in an non-confrontational way and CC as high as you can go.

In a sensible company being able to show the cost in man hours that this causes and how to sort it out will make the IT dept look professional and working in the best interests of the company and the other depts look like idiots.

Same thing we are going through in payroll with late overtime/expenses claims. It is painful to start with telling people their overtime sheet was late so it will get paid next month or returning expenses claims over 3 months old unpaid but it is working and making our lives berable with the amount of staff we have.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
I've gotten some use out of "Left Slash" and "Right Slash" but most of the time you'll end up explaining each one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Super Slash posted:

I've gotten some use out of "Left Slash" and "Right Slash" but most of the time you'll end up explaining each one.

This is truly the best way. "Did you use the slash on the left side of the keyboard or the right hand side" is the question I generally use when anything involving a slash doesn't work.

I swear, if you ever need a job that teaches you how to get people to do what you want, just pick an IT job.