Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

ZDar Fan posted:

Did Marc Mero wear body paint for the Johnny B. Badd gimmick, or was he just really tan?

He lived in a tanning bed with Rick Rude. Saves money on rent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's like one of those capsule hotels from Japan, but with more tanning oil.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

edit wrong thread. oops there is no more wrestling rumors thread.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Johanns Molemann posted:

Is there any credence to the rumor that HHH made it in the business by performing sexual favors for other men? Like his recruitment story was he was trying to meet Ric Flair and an older producer came up to him and asked him to send him his poo poo, and then later called him, but I interpret that as the producer saw another vulnerable wrestler to bang and put him on the casting couch. Likewise, who did Ric Flair sleep with?

No.

HHH does tell his recruitment story on Jericho's podcast though.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

What was the deal with Renegade? Did WCW actually think that fans would get behind a no-name Ultimate Warrior knockoff?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

ZDar Fan posted:

What was the deal with Renegade? Did WCW actually think that fans would get behind a no-name Ultimate Warrior knockoff?

Basically. It was worth a try. It's a case of 'That guy is hot. We can't have him so lets get someone like him'.

To that end, has a 'copy' like that ever actually been successful?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

DrVenkman posted:

Demolition was pretty popular

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DrVenkman posted:

Basically. It was worth a try. It's a case of 'That guy is hot. We can't have him so lets get someone like him'.

Ultimate Warrior wasn't hot in 1995.

The various knockoffs of the Fabulous Ones were successful in their various territories (except the New Fabulous Ones) and Demolition was pretty successful in the WWF.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Fake Diesel continues to main event Raw to this day.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Does Ric Flair count as a copy of Buddy Rogers?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

In the immortal words of Hulk Hogan, "It's not hot!"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

The various knockoffs of the Fabulous Ones were successful in their various territories (except the New Fabulous Ones) and Demolition was pretty successful in the WWF.

Hell, the Rock & Roll Express were so successful most people forget they were a Fabulous Ones knock-off.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!
hulk hogan was a pretty good billy graham knockoff

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Nerokerubina posted:

hulk hogan was a pretty good billy graham knockoff

So was Dusty Rhodes.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

flashy_mcflash posted:

Fake Diesel continues to main event Raw to this day.

While Fake Fake Diesel is one half of the IWGP tag team champions.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Spermgod posted:

While Fake Fake Diesel is one half of the IWGP tag team champions.

I didn't know Roman Reigns was in NJPW.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I was reading that the Bella feud is something the Total Divas producers were pushing for. I've never watched Total Divas. I know is it as scripted as every other reality show, but how much does it break kayfabe? Would they really try to play it off like Nikki and Brie really hate each other?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

TL posted:

I was reading that the Bella feud is something the Total Divas producers were pushing for. I've never watched Total Divas. I know is it as scripted as every other reality show, but how much does it break kayfabe? Would they really try to play it off like Nikki and Brie really hate each other?

absolutely

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

TL posted:

It is the weirdest mix of kayfabe and reality. They once played it off that Trinity (Naomi) threw a shoot hurracanrana on Jimmy Uso because she was mad at him and it was a problem because that broke the match script.

Somewhere Vince Russo smiled for seemingly no reason.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

oatgan posted:

absolutely

Ok.

I've never watched Total Divas either, but the more I read about it the more it sounds essentially like an hour's worth of backstage Raw segments centered around the Divas playing slightly different characters.

Am I wrong? Because that sounds pretty drat dire.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
you're right but it's loving awesome

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Thauros posted:

Ok.

I've never watched Total Divas either, but the more I read about it the more it sounds essentially like an hour's worth of backstage Raw segments centered around the Divas playing slightly different characters.

Yes, it is a reality show.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

They break kayfabe as much as WWE tends to allow the more 'shootier' docs to do, and that's basically admit anything except that the match results are pre-determined. Like they'll not pretend that face/heel aligments or storylines are real, but they won't ever act like, say, bryan winning at mania was something Brie knew about before it happened, etc.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I know Lance Storm has gone off the deep end lately with some of his opinions, but his tweets during Raw this past Monday really encapsulated everything wrong with the Bella Twins feud. If Nikki is telling the "truth", then wouldn't that make her the face as well as making Brie the heel because she's obviously an awful person? And if Nikkie is lying, then what point is there to her attack and turn in the first place? And how do they handle it on Total Divas which is supposed to be a reality show? Everyone, including friends and family, pretending that this storyline is actually true and acting accordingly?

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I know Lance Storm has gone off the deep end lately with some of his opinions, but his tweets during Raw this past Monday really encapsulated everything wrong with the Bella Twins feud. If Nikki is telling the "truth", then wouldn't that make her the face as well as making Brie the heel because she's obviously an awful person? And if Nikkie is lying, then what point is there to her attack and turn in the first place? And how do they handle it on Total Divas which is supposed to be a reality show? Everyone, including friends and family, pretending that this storyline is actually true and acting accordingly?

Well Nikki did have to deal with all the beatings that resulted from Brie quitting. So she's lying to bolster her reasoning for attacking her sister, which is definitely heel behavior and a reason to boo her. But yeah, the angle is a mess when you factor in Total Divas. I imagine we'll get the Bella brother confronting Nikki about tearing their family apart and John Cena saying he doesn't want to get married until the drama settles.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
That's something else I've found interesting. They've been shoving the relationship between Brie Bella and Daniel Bryan down everyone's throats on Raw, and yet there's barely a mention of the fact that Cena is Nikki's boyfriend all this time and now she's an evil heel. So yet another disconnect between regular WWE programming and Total Divas.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

That's something else I've found interesting. They've been shoving the relationship between Brie Bella and Daniel Bryan down everyone's throats on Raw, and yet there's barely a mention of the fact that Cena is Nikki's boyfriend all this time and now she's an evil heel. So yet another disconnect between regular WWE programming and Total Divas.

WWE doesn't like to mention that Cena is in a relationship or have him be in a kayfabe relationship because it could make him less desirable to a female audience

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Bard Maddox posted:

WWE doesn't like to mention that Cena is in a relationship or have him be in a kayfabe relationship because it could make him less desirable to a female audience

This combined with his workload means John Cena is a Japanese pop idol

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Strangely enough they brought up his divorce during the Rock feud though. "Oh yeah, Cena WAS married..."

They don't mention spouses or children unless they want to be on TV, and only then if they want to make an angle out of it. Reigns has a daughter, so does Orton, etc.

Blasmeister posted:

They break kayfabe as much as WWE tends to allow the more 'shootier' docs to do, and that's basically admit anything except that the match results are pre-determined. Like they'll not pretend that face/heel aligments or storylines are real, but they won't ever act like, say, bryan winning at mania was something Brie knew about before it happened, etc.

Some WWE docs actually do reveal that match results are fixed; they have mentioned plans to "put the title on" someone before, or "drop the belt to" someone.

It's usually when talking about WCW history though, which is hilarious for its own reasons.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Bard Maddox posted:

Y'see Homer, women are going to want to have sex with you. And we want them to think they can.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Bard Maddox posted:

We want the ladies to think that they have a chance to fondle his thinning crewcut and stare deep into his crows feet.

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

sticklefifer posted:

Some WWE docs actually do reveal that match results are fixed; they have mentioned plans to "put the title on" someone before, or "drop the belt to" someone.

Yeah, like when the Punk documentary talked about how the WHC was taken away from him just because they needed it for the Jericho/HBK feud.

Oddly enough, Punk being so devastated in the doc probably helped put the belt over as a bigger deal than the storyline was managing at the time.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

the only recent WWE documentary I can think of that was still weirdly kayfabe was Randy Orton's

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The Countdowns still have a lot of that half-kayfabe in them. Like CM Punk talking about the "Brian Pillman Has A Gun" angle and doing his best to sell it as shocking and not stupid / ridiculous

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

That angle was none of those things. It was awesome.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Bard Maddox posted:

They did acknowledge his relationship with Nikki in the build to his match against Bryan at Summerslam 2013, but I can't remember a time since then that they've mentioned it. I was actually wondering if they broke up because they were so vocal about it around that time and during the last season of Total Divas and they've just fallen totally silent since then.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
I recalled hearing that back in the day, the 1-2-3 Kid was the test for newcomers to the company - if they couldn't have at least a decent match with him, chances are they weren't going to make it.

Is there anyone nowadays who fills a similar role?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Solomonic posted:

This combined with his workload means John Cena is a Japanese pop idol

except those go away when they're tired and stale

e: reworded so stupid people don't think my point was Fire John Cena

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Ghostpilot posted:

I recalled hearing that back in the day, the 1-2-3 Kid was the test for newcomers to the company - if they couldn't have at least a decent match with him, chances are they weren't going to make it.

No one because WWE doesn't care about wrestling anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Ghostpilot posted:

John Cena.