Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
There's always that new 1-drop artifact that lets you look at the top card of your Library or opponents face down creatures at any time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I'm a little curious as to what the best land split for 3 color decks is going to be now. You could do a lot of damage to yourself between fetches, painlands and mana confluence but at least they're untapped sources, as opposed to scrylands. Lots of options right now.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

mcmagic posted:

I don't think a set that will be opened as much as Kahns will be can support 75 dollars worth of value in 5 non mythics.

Yep. Unless this block has no other good cards (and it already has stuff that's at least interesting in EDH) then the fetches are going to drop to $10-15 at most for awhile.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
GW Aggro could become Abzan Aggro pretty much just by dropping in Urborgs, at least 2. 4-of Windswept Heath. At least 2 each Llanowar Wastes and Caves of Koilos. 2 Mana Confluence (or is it a 4-of? I don't really know the basic GW Aggro list). And a few of the Abzan Tri-land. Completely skip on Temples if you want.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Cernunnos posted:

There's always that new 1-drop artifact that lets you look at the top card of your Library or opponents face down creatures at any time.

Goddamnit I was hoping that card would be worthless...

Yeah, I guess the worst sensei's divining top is okay when you have "pay 1 life, shuffle your deck"...

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Jabor posted:

About the only thing the "end of combat" step does is allow you to cast spells while still in combat, but after anything added to people's mana pools in the combat damage step has drained.

It's necessary for cards like Greater Werewolf.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
I missed the Vintage Rotisserie Draft live, but I've been watching the video and it has some really insane moments. This game has been my favorite so far thanks to a hilarious interaction: http://www.twitch.tv/shotgunlotus/b/561225843?t=6h33m12s

For the lazy/those who can't watch: Chris plays Show and Tell, and selects Consecrated Sphinx. James chooses Notion Thief. On James's draw step, he draws, Sphinx triggers, Chris accepts the draw 2, Notion Thief steals them (not optional), and now there are 2 Sphinx triggers. Repeat about 10 times until James has drawn 80% of his deck and has to kill Notion Thief to avoid losing on the spot. Then the remaining triggers resolve and Chris gets to draw about 20 cards as well.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

I control Ob Nixilis, Unshackled and cast From the Ashes. My opponent searches for multiple basics as a result. Does Ob Nixilis trigger once or multiple times? I want to say once because that's the intuitive answer, but the wording on From the Ashes makes it sound like the game sees multiple searches occurring.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

I control Ob Nixilis, Unshackled and cast From the Ashes. My opponent searches for multiple basics as a result. Does Ob Nixilis trigger once or multiple times? I want to say once because that's the intuitive answer, but the wording on From the Ashes makes it sound like the game sees multiple searches occurring.

Right, it only triggers once. It says "for each land destroyed this way..." but it means that more in a counting sense. It's like that one tutor... Diabolic?... that costs X3BB and lets you search your library for X cards. You search your library once for multiple cards.

Gensuki fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Sep 4, 2014

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Gensuki posted:

Right, it only triggers once. It says "for each land destroyed this way..." but it means that more in a counting sense. It's like that one tutor... Diabolic?... that costs X3BB and lets you search your library for X cards. You search your library once for multiple cards.

diabolic revelation

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Angry Grimace posted:

Running Sunblade Elf, Soldier of the Pantheon, Fleecemane, Spiteful Returned (?), Brimaz, Anafenza, and maybe Sorin would be a pretty easy deck to put together. The lack of more really good 1 drops kind of hurts, but I guess you could max out on the Elves and Soldiers.

Maybe throw an Athreos or two in there.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Gensuki posted:

Right, it only triggers once. It says "for each land destroyed this way..." but it means that more in a counting sense.

I agree that Ob Nixilis, Unshackled triggers only once. I think it is easier to wrap your head around if you imagine From the Ashes says, "Its controller may search his or her library for a basic land card for each land destroyed this way."

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Mikujin posted:

If you've got some trick in your hand, don't be a dumbass and fetch before you play the scryland?

Sure, but you know that people are going to have uncracked fetches as their only available untapped mana because of Courser or some bullshit, realize they need to play a card to make this combat favorable, and then realize they've just wasted a scry.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

qbert posted:

Sure, but you know that people are going to have uncracked fetches as their only available untapped mana because of Courser or some bullshit, realize they need to play a card to make this combat favorable, and then realize they've just wasted a scry.
Wait a minute... Planning and foresight? Those aren't things you need to play this game!

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

qbert posted:

Not to disagree, but Urborg makes a lot of this work.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

qbert posted:

I think If I had courser, I would not scry for 1? I would definitely play the land off the top of my library first which precludes playing the scry land. If the top card is not a land, I would crack the fetch to try to make the top card a land.

If the scry land is the land I'd be playing off the top of my deck...I'm srill getting card advantage? I mean, exactly how much value do I need to squeeze out of my lands?

Anything else is player error, which is not a weakness of the interactions?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Gensuki posted:

Anything else is player error, which is not a weakness of the interactions?

While the supposed simplification of Magic is probably blown out of proportion in some circles, it's not like they haven't subtly altered certain things because they gave room for dumb players (myself not excluded) to gently caress up. It's absolutely a weakness of the interactions from a particular viewpoint.

I don't personally disagree with you, even; just saying that this point isn't as universally held as you might hope.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Of note, you can have an uncracked fetch in play, play a scry land off the top with courser, then see the top card before you have to scry. If it's a card you would scry to the bottom, you can fetch and scry another card to the bottom instead.

Booklegger
Aug 2, 2008

Applebees posted:

It's necessary for cards like Greater Werewolf.

Dear God in Heaven, why would you use this statistically unplayed card as an example of End of Combat Triggers, when there was Geist of St. Traft or if the delayed trigger was too complex a Cinder Wall to explain with?

In related news, there are 68 cards with the oracle text "At the end of combat" printed on them.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

uggy posted:

Tormented Hero or gnarled scarhide unless you don't want a black one drop.

I think the idea is that most of the deck is white, Windswept Heath can hit plains and Sunblade Elf is very good if you have him around on Turn 5 and nothing else to drop.

Sorin might be sideboard material in that deck, though.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Sep 4, 2014

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Mikujin posted:

Wait a minute... Planning and foresight? Those aren't things you need to play this game!

Is your argument that there's absolutely no awkwardness between scrys and fetches as long as you play well enough? Because then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

qbert posted:

Is your argument that there's absolutely no awkwardness between scrys and fetches as long as you play well enough? Because then we'll just have to agree to disagree.
I'm saying that by being mindful of your play any awkwardness is diminished to insignificance.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

JerryLee posted:

Technically speaking the damage from a bolt is applied when the spell is still on the stack. It's just that the damage doesn't actually "mean" anything, so to speak, until the next time SBEs are checked--at which point the spell is in the graveyard.

So if by "resolving the damage" you mean saying 'yo this is gonna have 3 damage on it now' then that happens before the spell is in the graveyard. If you mean asking 'yo, this has 3 damage on it now, does it die?' then that happens after the spell is in the graveyard.

edit: A thing that actually happened at, I think it was Worlds in 2001 or 2002 or something: A player tried to play Sacred Ground to defend his manlands from enemy burn spells. Why this doesn't work is left as an exercise to the reader.

Another thing that happened once was a guy had a Tarmogoyf with empty graveyards, so it was 0/1. His opponent tried to Flame Jab the goyf, but it became a 1/2 with Flame Jab in the graveyard and survived.

So naturally, he retraced the Flame Jab to try and kill it.

EDIT: Did I tell this story before? I think I did.

Zemyla fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Sep 4, 2014

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Holy poo poo FLGS guy (Andrew Baeckstrom) won the second US WMCQ. :woop:

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Zemyla posted:

Another thing that happened once was a guy had a Tarmogoyf with empty graveyards, so it was 0/1. His opponent tried to Flame Jab the goyf, but it became a 1/2 with Flame Jab in the graveyard and survived.

So naturally, he retraced the Flame Jab to try and kill it.

EDIT: Did I tell this story before? I think I did.

I'm just imagining it continuing with him sacrificing a Mogg Fanatic, then casting Zap.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

vOv posted:

I'm just imagining it continuing with him sacrificing a Mogg Fanatic, then casting Zap.

Gut Shot, paying the two life. :v:

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

When ~ is turned face up, if it's your turn, Threaten.

Seems decent, but nothing too special. Zealous Conscripts did it better.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Serperoth posted:

Gut Shot, paying the two life. :v:

Tarfire

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Nibble posted:

That is excellent utility for a mono-red style deck. I'd love to t4 steal polukraons and then swing with rabblemaster.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Nibble posted:

Depends how you look at it I think, Conscripts was a 3/3 for the same overall cost, but you had to pay all at once. This guy can also Threaten at instant speed.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Its also creature, which isn't nearly as good as Zealous Conscripts but it is an onboard trick that can force Paul Kranos to block something that'll kill him.

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Sep 4, 2014

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010

Nibble posted:

I'm dumb, what is threaten?

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

BizarroAzrael posted:

Depends how you look at it I think, Conscripts was a 3/3 for the same overall cost, but you had to pay all at once. This guy can also Threaten at instant speed.

It works at instant speed, yes, but it has an "if it's your turn" restriction, so you can't steal a creature to block with for a 2-for-1. I'm not sure how instant speed really adds any value when 99% of the time you want to fire it off precombat anyway.

Valicious posted:

Old version of Act of Treason. Gain control of a creature for a turn, untap it, it has haste that turn.

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Valicious posted:

Gain control of target creature until end of turn it gains haste until end of turn.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Valicious posted:

Players must leave game in progress as it is and use the cards left in their libraries as decks with which to play a subgame of Magic. When subgame is over, players shuffle these cards, return them to libraries, and resume game in progress, with any loser of subgame halving his or her remaining life points, rounding down. Effects that prevent damage may not be used to counter this loss of life. The subgame has no ante; using less than forty cards may be necessary.

Seen here

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Nibble posted:

This has to be a windmill slam in limited. A coral merfolk that can be played as an instant speed threaten is great.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Edit: ^^^ It only Threatens on your turn.

This card isn't as good as Zealous Conscripts in the decks which want Zealous Conscripts, but I think it has potential in a low curve deck because it's also a 2 mana 2/1. Might be kind of a long shot, though.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Madmarker posted:

This has to be a windmill slam in limited. A coral merfolk that can be played as an instant speed threaten is great.

I refuse to let coral merfolk become anyone's generic name for what is clearly a goblin piker. :colbert:

Also wow, conscripts was target permanent? Shows how much AVR I played.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
I don't think I'd really ever want to play this as a 2 mana 2/1 though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

HMS Boromir posted:

Also wow, conscripts was target permanent? Shows how much Cube I played.

Using conscripts to steal a plainswalker and ult it, killing it, was the single most rewarding play I've ever done in cube.

• Locked thread