Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

photomikey posted:

Were they after something specific? If they were after something specific, they'll come back. If they just wanted to pilfer your stuff, they'll pick an easier to get into house. Without knowing any details, I'd lean toward the idea that they're not coming back.

Who knows? The only rooms they would have been able to see into is my bedroom and the formal dining room. Nothing much valuable in either, besides a few old family heirlooms which are probably worth zilch. You'd actually have to be in the front yard to see into either as tree foliage covers it pretty well from the street. I reckon they saw the blue security alarm on the other houses and thought they'd try their luck in ours which clearly doesn't have one. Ironically, our neighbours said they frequently fail to turn on the alarm when they go out.

Ah well, I guess we're lucky they didn't get in, but it's going to be a while before I feel properly comfortable being alone again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx
I got a letter from the Washington State department of licensing, apparently a business requested my vehicle's record, information disclosed was plate make model and year, and my name and mailing address. I can find out the 'category' of the business that requested it but not the name or address of them without a court order. Why would a business request this info? And why would it be so hard to find out who requested it in the first place?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
If you were born on February 29, 1992, when were you legally able to drink in a bar or buy liquor in a store in the US? 2/28/13 or 3/1/13?

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

cheerfullydrab posted:

If you were born on February 29, 1992, when were you legally able to drink in a bar or buy liquor in a store in the US? 2/28/13 or 3/1/13?

March 1st. You would have been born the day after Feb 28th.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Usually stores that sell alcohol will have a sign saying "You must have been born before today's date in [X]". So if you were born on 3/1/91, you were out of luck on 2/29/12.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Where can I find out about selling a house in the UK privately I.E. without an estate agent. Odd situation but the people I'm renting the house to might want to buy it and obviously we don't see the need to spend 3% on the estate agent who won't be adding any value whatsoever.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Octy posted:

Who knows? The only rooms they would have been able to see into is my bedroom and the formal dining room. Nothing much valuable in either, besides a few old family heirlooms which are probably worth zilch. You'd actually have to be in the front yard to see into either as tree foliage covers it pretty well from the street. I reckon they saw the blue security alarm on the other houses and thought they'd try their luck in ours which clearly doesn't have one. Ironically, our neighbours said they frequently fail to turn on the alarm when they go out.

Ah well, I guess we're lucky they didn't get in, but it's going to be a while before I feel properly comfortable being alone again.

If you don't want to shell out for a real security system, you could get a fake yard sign / window decal for one. Or blow :10bux: on a fake security camera to mount right above that door.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I have a plastic jar of treacle with a screw-on lid in my cupboard. It's about half full. Recently I got it out and used some, then put it back away, only to come back later and discover that treacle had leaked out of the top of the jar and run down the side. I took it out of the cupboard and cleaned up, then left the jar on the bench for a few days in case it happened again. It didn't, so I put it back in the cupboard. The next day I discovered it had leaked again. The cupboard is in the same room as the bench, about half a meter higher up. The temperature inside the cupboard doesn't seem to be noticeably different to the temperature of the room. What's going on here?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cakefool posted:

Where can I find out about selling a house in the UK privately I.E. without an estate agent. Odd situation but the people I'm renting the house to might want to buy it and obviously we don't see the need to spend 3% on the estate agent who won't be adding any value whatsoever.

In the US, you would still want a real estate lawyer, and I'd assume it would be similar in the UK with your barristers/solicitors or whatever you call them there. In the US, they would give you a free consult, and then you'd pay them a flat fee (how real estate commissions should work anyways) to handle the paperwork.

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

Tiggum posted:

What's going on here?

Does sunshine hit the cupboard, or is it above the stove?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Aggressive pricing posted:

Does sunshine hit the cupboard, or is it above the stove?

It's next to the stove. But so is the bench, and the treacle has always been kept in that cupboard and this has never happened before. :confused:

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Tiggum posted:

I have a plastic jar of treacle with a screw-on lid in my cupboard. It's about half full. Recently I got it out and used some, then put it back away, only to come back later and discover that treacle had leaked out of the top of the jar and run down the side. I took it out of the cupboard and cleaned up, then left the jar on the bench for a few days in case it happened again. It didn't, so I put it back in the cupboard. The next day I discovered it had leaked again. The cupboard is in the same room as the bench, about half a meter higher up. The temperature inside the cupboard doesn't seem to be noticeably different to the temperature of the room. What's going on here?

Do you have roommates? Someone else messier than you is using it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Trastion posted:

Do you have roommates? Someone else messier than you is using it.

No one touched it.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
I received a Powerpoint that I have to process into a PDF for distribution, and somehow the person who made it set up the theme so that the color elements in the background/master slide match the hyperlink color. I'm talking about the grayish rectangles that the arrows are pointing at here:

The result is that either hyperlinks are nearly invisible (because he picked a lovely light gray), or else I change the hyperlink color to something readable and the color elements get ugly (see above). I can't switch to a different theme/master because he crammed in so much text with creative font sizing that I'd have to redo many of the slides. How do I redefine what color those elements use?

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Tiggum posted:

No one touched it.

Is it fizzy at all? Could be fermenting.

Slappy Hitler
Aug 28, 2014

Back from mine camp

Tiggum posted:

"..about half a meter higher up."

Metrics. Metrics will cause things to overflow, drip, explode, stick, scrape, coat, squint,
snap, crackle, pop, squirt, plummet and burn.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

FetusSlapper posted:

I got a letter from the Washington State department of licensing, apparently a business requested my vehicle's record, information disclosed was plate make model and year, and my name and mailing address. I can find out the 'category' of the business that requested it but not the name or address of them without a court order. Why would a business request this info? And why would it be so hard to find out who requested it in the first place?

Most likely, it's a used car dealership that requested this information. My wife used to get a few mailers a month saying "Trade in your old 2007 Pontiac Vibe for a new Ford Shitbox". I've seen sometimes where certain dealerships are looking for a specific make/model of car, but I don't know the reason behind that.

It could also be a bank looking to take over your loan, but I don't know if that's as common or as profitable as taking over home loans.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Don't give anyone that info for free, what's the point?

EDIT: Misread, washington just gives that out to anyone who requests it? I don't think that's reasonable but okay.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Music theory/guitar question:
This guitar part and this guitar part sound really similar to me. Is there some concept (or set of them) that both fall under that would explain that similarity?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
They have a similar timbre, and may be in the same or a similar mode.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jeffrey posted:

Misread, washington just gives that out to anyone who requests it? I don't think that's reasonable but okay.

It's public record in every state, some states just require that people wishing to use it outside law enforcement have to pay.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

Is it fizzy at all? Could be fermenting.
Doesn;t seem to be. As far as I can tell, it's the same as when I bought it.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Oh the irony of this question, but... Didn't there used to be an "Ask us about the forums" thread in A/T? Am I crazy? Is it somewhere else? I'm too stupid to use the search function correctly also.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

drat Bananas posted:

Oh the irony of this question, but... Didn't there used to be an "Ask us about the forums" thread in A/T? Am I crazy? Is it somewhere else? I'm too stupid to use the search function correctly also.

Yes, but the last iteration of it was killed off around the time of GBS 2.0 iirc due to the poo poo storm it created.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

kedo posted:

Yes, but the last iteration of it was killed off around the time of GBS 2.0 iirc due to the poo poo storm it created.

That's lame, but thanks!

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

drat Bananas posted:

That's lame, but thanks!

Ehhhh, it was basically a FYAD-lite thread with the occasional question about the forums. I'm not shedding any tears over its loss.

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax
Name this exercise! (I'm on a phone or I'd just post a pic)

1. Hold a dumbbell in one hand
2. Hold the weight by your knee
3. Raise it in an arc out and up across your chest and up in the air
4. Movement ends with the weight at roughly head height where it stops
5. Lower weight to step two.

It looks a lot like a cable fly but with a weight, seems to be for the pec or shoulder.

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax
While I'm here...

I saw a commercial for a "watch" you use while running (maybe by Apple or MS?) are they high tech pedometers? Easy and useful? Or over priced toys and I should wait till a non Apple version at half the price comes out?

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.

Chupe Raho Aurat posted:

While I'm here...

I saw a commercial for a "watch" you use while running (maybe by Apple or MS?) are they high tech pedometers? Easy and useful? Or over priced toys and I should wait till a non Apple version at half the price comes out?

Might've been a Garmin watch? They're GPS watches that track things like pace, distance, route etc, I've got one that I like a lot but they can get expensive the more features you want. Ask in the Running thread in YLLS for more up-to-date opinions.

E: the way you say "watch" makes me think of the Nike Fuelband, yeah I think that's just a flashy pedometer

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Chupe Raho Aurat posted:

While I'm here...

Could be anything from a running/triathlon gps watch from someone like Garmin or Magellan to a simple pedometer like the Garmin Vivofit or anything in between like a fitbit with an altimeter and poo poo in it, synced to a phone. The first type are incredible training tools if you're at all serious about your sport, the pedometer+ devices are kind of weird OCD machines that some people find very helpful and others just enjoy the distraction.

Apple doesn't make any of those sorts of products (yet. Check back September 9th!) but Samsung does.

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax

whiteshark12 posted:

Might've been a Garmin watch? They're GPS watches that track things like pace, distance, route etc, I've got one that I like a lot but they can get expensive the more features you want. Ask in the Running thread in YLLS for more up-to-date opinions.

E: the way you say "watch" makes me think of the Nike Fuelband, yeah I think that's just a flashy pedometer

I googled this and im pretty sure this is what I saw, cheers.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
So is there anyone record out there of someone making a scream that could be transcribed as "AIIIIE"? After binging-reading some comics lately, it's struck me how often that onomatopoeia shows up and how it seems to only ever show up in text/image-based media, since I can honestly say I've never heard anyone actually make a sound that could be described as sounding like that.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Chupe Raho Aurat posted:

Name this exercise! (I'm on a phone or I'd just post a pic)

1. Hold a dumbbell in one hand
2. Hold the weight by your knee
3. Raise it in an arc out and up across your chest and up in the air
4. Movement ends with the weight at roughly head height where it stops
5. Lower weight to step two.

It looks a lot like a cable fly but with a weight, seems to be for the pec or shoulder.

Kinda sounds like a woodchopper, but I've only does those with a weighted ball and two hands.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Doctor Bishop posted:

So is there anyone record out there of someone making a scream that could be transcribed as "AIIIIE"? After binging-reading some comics lately, it's struck me how often that onomatopoeia shows up and how it seems to only ever show up in text/image-based media, since I can honestly say I've never heard anyone actually make a sound that could be described as sounding like that.
Google "Wilhelm scream."

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Google "Wilhelm scream."

Excuse me, but that is clearly "OOOWWW!" :colbert:

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Chupe Raho Aurat posted:

While I'm here...

I'd wait 5 days to see what Apple announces at their keynote thing.

Or buy a Nike / Fitbit thing now if you just want a pedomoter.

The Samsung e-watch things are crap.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

randyest posted:

I'd wait 5 days to see what Apple announces at their keynote thing.

Or buy a Nike / Fitbit thing now if you just want a pedomoter.

The Samsung e-watch things are crap.

This person does not sound very pro-Apple products. Unless you mean "see what Apple announces and then wait 9 months for the rest of the world to copy/"improve" upon their thing".

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

tuyop posted:

This person does not sound very pro-Apple products. Unless you mean "see what Apple announces and then wait 9 months for the rest of the world to copy/"improve" upon their thing".
Yeah you got it; either way it'd probably be wise to see what Apple announces next week before making any major purchase in the mobile personal fitness monitoring market. Even if you don't want an Apple thing what they do may affect the pricing of the existing products and/or possibly spur new announcements from the competition.

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
The more you quote me, the worse I post :smug:
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I DON'T NEED TO READ TO PLAY LEAGUE OF LEGENDS
Is there a difference between foil and rotary shavers in performance? Short and simple, just looking for pros and cons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax

tuyop posted:

Nar, I have an ipod/pad/phone, im just not fond of their "$1200 for a computer that requires specific replacement parts at 5 time the price, that is only as useful as a $500 window machine" scam they are so keen on.