Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I have a pound of ground beef, the sell by date was yesterday and I was originally planning to get it cooked today but I just had a 14 hour workday and am about ready to pass out. Would it be safe for me to cook up first thing tomorrow? I'll smell it of course, but I'm wondering if I shouldn't get my hopes up.

Also I had another pound that I froze when I couldn't get to it one day after the sell by date, its been in there for over 2 weeks now, will that be good to go still after I thaw it out or should I trash it? Or again, do the sniff test but don't be too hopeful?

Originally I bought the second pound cause I didn't want to wait to unfreeze the first to cook it but then things changed, ever had to cover over 150 miles of territory cause one coworker quit and another took a trip to another state? :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Leal posted:

I have a pound of ground beef, the sell by date was yesterday and I was originally planning to get it cooked today but I just had a 14 hour workday and am about ready to pass out. Would it be safe for me to cook up first thing tomorrow? I'll smell it of course, but I'm wondering if I shouldn't get my hopes up.

Also I had another pound that I froze when I couldn't get to it one day after the sell by date, its been in there for over 2 weeks now, will that be good to go still after I thaw it out or should I trash it? Or again, do the sniff test but don't be too hopeful?

Originally I bought the second pound cause I didn't want to wait to unfreeze the first to cook it but then things changed, ever had to cover over 150 miles of territory cause one coworker quit and another took a trip to another state? :shepface:

If you're cooking it it should be more than fine. Sell by dates tend to be...pretty forgiving.

The meat's fine. Don't waste it. Worse comes to worse, people've been eating peppered meat for hundreds of years for exactly the reason you're worrying about.

And if you're really worried about it then just make some sort of British food. That way you can shock and awe the meat til it's dry and tasteless and it'll be authentic regional cuisine.

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi
I bought multiple pounds of fresh prunes at Costco because I'm an idiot (I live alone). How can I freeze or otherwise keep them, and what do I do about the pits?

PS Bowel movements VERY regular

edit: vv thanks

Mortley fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Sep 5, 2014

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Are there good ways to cook or use canned salmon? Seems pretty cheap at a local store.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Drifter posted:

If you're cooking it it should be more than fine. Sell by dates tend to be...pretty forgiving.

The meat's fine. Don't waste it. Worse comes to worse, people've been eating peppered meat for hundreds of years for exactly the reason you're worrying about.

And if you're really worried about it then just make some sort of British food. That way you can shock and awe the meat til it's dry and tasteless and it'll be authentic regional cuisine.

Or make a basic stroganoff. Browning the beef in some sauteed garlic, mixing in fresh sliced mushrooms, adding broth and noodles, and then coating it all in sour cream or creme fraiche will add flavor that the beef by itself might have lost.

Bob Morales posted:

Are there good ways to cook or use canned salmon? Seems pretty cheap at a local store.

Salmon croquettes! Or you could try a bit more involved recipe and go for a fishcake Gordon Ramsay style (except he uses canned tuna).

ibntumart fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Sep 4, 2014

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

They make a good pasta sauce. Both tomato and creamy ones are very nice.

Edit: Put it on top of pizza!

Lucy Heartfilia fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Sep 4, 2014

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.
After making pizza dough in a mini food processor, it's pretty clear to me I want a bigger one (plus I want to grind my own burgers, etc.). With food processors, should I buy the biggest one I can, or is there a point where the 13 cup behemonth doesn't perform as well as a smaller one for shredding, etc.? If I get a 13 cup one, I'd probably also keep my mini one, fwiw.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

They make a good pasta sauce. Both tomato and creamy ones are very nice.

Edit: Put it on top of pizza!

Salmon on pizza with capers is delicious, plus dill and sour cream to garnish.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
I bought a bunch of Chinese yard long beans, and used some in a delicious green curry. It used like 4 beans cut up, leaving me with most of a giant bunch of really freakin' long beans.

Recipe suggestions?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

EVG posted:

I bought a bunch of Chinese yard long beans, and used some in a delicious green curry. It used like 4 beans cut up, leaving me with most of a giant bunch of really freakin' long beans.

Recipe suggestions?

sichuan style dry-fried green beans

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Does anyone have suggestions for a good butter chicken recipe?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

keyboard vomit posted:

Does anyone have suggestions for a good butter chicken recipe?

Indian thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3516815

Crack
Apr 10, 2009
Just made some burritos blanco and they are delicious but what can I do with the litre of fatty pork juice that's left in the slow cooker (if anything)?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

reflex posted:

After making pizza dough in a mini food processor, it's pretty clear to me I want a bigger one (plus I want to grind my own burgers, etc.). With food processors, should I buy the biggest one I can, or is there a point where the 13 cup behemonth doesn't perform as well as a smaller one for shredding, etc.? If I get a 13 cup one, I'd probably also keep my mini one, fwiw.

I'd be careful about getting a really big FP, but only because you specifically mention making pizza dough. For everyday chopping, shredding, cutting, whatever, any old FP should do the job, regardless of size. But with dough, the motor has a better chance of slowing down/burning out. I've killed two (cheap) FPs trying to make too much dough in them. If you're going to go with a large bowl, make sure that it has a powerful motor to go with it.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

reflex posted:

If you do get a large one, make sure it comes with multiple bowls. I like the Magimix a lot (it's Robot Coupe's consumer model, with Sabatier blades). The 5200XL, which I have, comes with its main 16 cup bowl, a smaller 12 cup (mainly used for the attachment discs) and the small 6 cup bowl (which has its own blade, great for salsas, guacamole, and so on). It's ridiculously powerful, and I've made three loaves of dough in it at once with zero problems.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Mortley posted:

I bought multiple pounds of fresh prunes at Costco because I'm an idiot (I live alone). How can I freeze or otherwise keep them, and what do I do about the pits?

PS Bowel movements VERY regular

Make yourself and others happy
http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2013/10/purple-plum-torte/

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
What's a good meat to use for barding pork loin

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

What's a good meat to use for barding pork loin

Find an old school butcher that'll have caulfat.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
When I buy purple-flesh sweet potatoes, sometimes the flesh of some of them is very white. Is that normal or is that one that's going bad?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Casu Marzu posted:

sichuan style dry-fried green beans
This is what I've been doing with most of the long beans coming out of my garden this season. It's far and away my favourite way to have green beans.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

When I buy purple-flesh sweet potatoes, sometimes the flesh of some of them is very white. Is that normal or is that one that's going bad?

This is normal.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Anyone here know some good places to eat in Oklahoma City?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I'm looking for a white wedding cake recipe. I want to do some friends a favor a bake them a simple wedding cake, frost it, and possibly decorate with some ribbon. I plan on testing maybe one or two, but would like some suggestions.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

(drawing not to scale)

Okay I'm planning a big roast.

The recipe calls for stuffing two pork loins with fruit, rolling them up in barding and leaves, and then baking the whole thing inside a clay shell. It will be approximately 8lbs of pork loin. Recipe says about 3.5 hours at 350°F.

Question #1: I'd like to put a thermometer in there. Should I be aiming for the center mass of the meat (A), the center mass of the whole thing (C) or somewhere inbetween (B)?

Question #2: I can't decide between making a small hole in the clay for a thermapen, or leaving in a probe thermometer and working the leaves and clay around it. Recommendation? Would either do?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
For Q1, your need to temp the very center of the dish you're making. Because the fruits are coming into contact with the pork they need to reach the same temperature as the meat.

Q2, I have no clue on the best course of action.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

SubG posted:

This is what I've been doing with most of the long beans coming out of my garden this season. It's far and away my favourite way to have green beans.

Have a good guideline recipe? Never made that before.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

goodness posted:

Anyone here know some good places to eat in Oklahoma City?

When I lived in Oklahoma City people always said Ted's was awesome but it's really just kinda high volume tex-mex with good fresh tortillas.

Cheevers was nice upscale dinner but honestly the city has exploded in development in the several years since I left so that's probably no longer a worthwhile recommendation.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

EVG posted:

Have a good guideline recipe? Never made that before.
Generous amount of hot oil in a wok. Stir fry the green/long beans (cut into what you consider bite-sized pieces) until they start to blister. Reserve.

To the wok add other poo poo for flavour. Simple version is a little garlic, a little ginger, some zha cai (usually called `preserved vegtables' or something like that---they're pickled mustard green stems), some sambal/chili paste/diced chilis/whatever, fry that off for a couple seconds to get smelling good, throw the beans back in there, splash of dark soy to coat, keep everything moving until most of the liquid boils off, dash of sesame oil for flavour, done.

Minced or ground pork is another common addition. Dried scallops or dried shrimp or shrimp paste can go in there too. Bitter melon if you have some. And a little Shaoxing wine in addition to the soy. It's really one of those things that you can gently caress around with. It's just loving green beans, right? It's pretty forgiving about flavour pairings. Let someone else arbitrate the questions about `authenticity' or whatever the gently caress.

Really the gimmick here is the dry frying, and the bullet items there are using enough oil, cooking the beans until they're puckering up but not overdone, and cooking off the excess liquid from whatever you're adding to the beans.

If you've never done it before, the trickiest part will be getting the right oil temperature. It's not that complicated, and it's reasonably forgiving so don't fret over it. But you want the oil hot enough that the beans are going to cook through just about the time the skin is starting to blister. That's not the lava loving hot you usually use for stir-frying in a wok. Maybe a medium, medium-high heat. I've never actually measured, but I'm guessing an oil temperature around 350, 375. If you're not sure about it, you can always just do a handful of beans, try some, and if they're not right adjust and try again. I've typed out a bunch of words here just because it's an approach to cooking that most beginner cooks won't be familiar with and it's worth getting right, but it's seriously one of those things that you can just gently caress around with a couple times until you get it the way you want.

Globofglob
Jan 14, 2008
Ok, college student trying to cook for first time here, it didn't turn out so good.

First is the rice. I measured out half a cup of store brand Long Grain Enriched white rice, put a cup of water in the pot, then put it on. Used a pot without a lid, because I didn't have one and I didn't know if an improvised lid would be okay. I come back 15 minutes later, it looks done, but there is a paper film around the sides and on the bottom of the rice. The bottom film is burned brown. It smells like rear end is mushy when touched and is hard when I bit it. I threw it out and had pop-tarts.

Second is the chicken cutlets. Seems easy enough. Cut up chicken cutlets, soak in egg, soak in breadcrumbs, fry in oil. I forgot oil and used vegtable oil cooking spray instead. I set the fire alarms off countless times. Most of the time the breadcrumbs were burned black after very little time. If it was too thick, this happened before the meat was actually cooked. If I used a lot of cooking spray to simulate oil, the cutlet would get dark brown to black very fast with barely enough time to cook the meat even if thick. I eventually just cooked without oil, which led to a bunch of light breadcrumbs with a few spots of dark brown or black, but I cooked meat at least. I also tried stabbing some of the cutlets in the end, but I don't know if it helped. It actually tastes decent and looks cooked, but my mom made them a light brownish I remember, all the way around, and I'm wondering how to emulate that.

What did I do wrong?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Globofglob posted:

Ok, college student trying to cook for first time here, it didn't turn out so good.

First is the rice. I measured out half a cup of store brand Long Grain Enriched white rice, put a cup of water in the pot, then put it on. Used a pot without a lid, because I didn't have one and I didn't know if an improvised lid would be okay. I come back 15 minutes later, it looks done, but there is a paper film around the sides and on the bottom of the rice. The bottom film is burned brown. It smells like rear end is mushy when touched and is hard when I bit it. I threw it out and had pop-tarts.

Second is the chicken cutlets. Seems easy enough. Cut up chicken cutlets, soak in egg, soak in breadcrumbs, fry in oil. I forgot oil and used vegtable oil cooking spray instead. I set the fire alarms off countless times. Most of the time the breadcrumbs were burned black after very little time. If it was too thick, this happened before the meat was actually cooked. If I used a lot of cooking spray to simulate oil, the cutlet would get dark brown to black very fast with barely enough time to cook the meat even if thick. I eventually just cooked without oil, which led to a bunch of light breadcrumbs with a few spots of dark brown or black, but I cooked meat at least. I also tried stabbing some of the cutlets in the end, but I don't know if it helped. It actually tastes decent and looks cooked, but my mom made them a light brownish I remember, all the way around, and I'm wondering how to emulate that.

What did I do wrong?

1) You have to bring the water to a boil and then reduce the temperature to a simmer. And you have to keep a lit on top for the whole time.
Check this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hld6kzbDdGo
And this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx9h65E433M

2) Use a way lower temperature. And you actually don't need much oil. Also try to flatten the cutlets first. Put one at a time in a ziplock bag and hit it with a frying pan.

Lucy Heartfilia fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Sep 6, 2014

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
^^^ I disagree, more oil (like a tablespoon or two, not a cup) makes it a lot easier for a beginner--it evens out heat transfer. Also greasier, but easier. I would also add that you don't need to soak, just dredge--swipe it in one, swipe it through the other, pan. Honestly, breading is tricky and I've been cooking for over ten years now and STILL have trouble with it. It might be easier to throw a tablespoon of oil into a pan and pan-fry a chicken cutlet to doneness first. What sort of pan are you using? If you're using a very light thin pan, you might have a better time of it in a heavy-bottomed pan over medium heat. The heavier pan will take longer to heat up before you put the meat in, and will have an easier time recovering when you put the meat in, and will give you more even browning.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Well, that's my definition of 'not much oil'. I've seen people almost deep frying their stuff in a pan. That also works, of course.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
Well, he's saying he only has spray oil, so I'm assuming less than a teaspoon ended up in the pan throughout cooking. Honestly when I'm pan-frying something breaded, I generally replenish the oil after every batch to avoid getting things too greasy or too scorchy.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
1. I bought a jar of mustard today. It has a screw-on lid with a sticker as a "seal." I didn't notice anything wrong with it when I bought it, but at some point on the (long) bike ride home it started to leak a bit, and when I got home and took it out the seal was broken. It's possible that the lid just jiggled loose when I biked over a pothole or something, but it's also possible that someone put cyanide in my mustard. It looks and smells fine. Should I / would you still eat this?

2. After visiting both Asian markets and most of the supermarkets in my small city, I can confidently say that no one here carries Gochujang. Maybe Costco, but I'm not a member. Is there anywhere online to buy it that's better than Amazon? Does this look like a decent substitute? I tried this and it was good, if blistering hot, but I've never tasted the real thing so I don't know.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
For raw long grain rice I like 1.5x water to rice by volume, bring to boil, simmer for twenty mins with lid on, turn heat off and let sit for ten. Take the lid off and stir after ten or leave it on if you want it mushier.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

Breaky posted:

Looking for recipe suggestions based on what's coming out of the garden right now.

I've still got tons of zucchini, green beans and tons of basil and other herbs.

I've made about every manner of ratatouille or derivative as well as numerous green currys with beans and zucchini. I've got a lot of tomatoes coming in (cherry and beefsteak mostly) and I've also been making tons of regular and caprese salads.

I don't think I really have quite enough tomatoes coming in to justify making outright sauce / paste to save, but I'm wondering what else would be a good recipe that would showcase some quality tomatoes quite well. I'm using them in everything I can (breakfast eggs, sandwiches etc) but am looking for some other options. Any interesting recipes out there?

I know this isn't what you asked, but you should def. save some basil for the lean months. I've read a bunch of "preserving basil" recipes so as to link you something instructive but they all suck. Rub the basil in olive oil, throw it in a bag and pull as much air out as possible, then freeze it.

Some people talk about blending it with butter and stuff. Maybe that'd work, I'm not sure, but the way described above works well for me.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Hed posted:

For raw long grain rice I like 1.5x water to rice by volume, bring to boil, simmer for twenty mins with lid on, turn heat off and let sit for ten. Take the lid off and stir after ten or leave it on if you want it mushier.
Seems like it would end up crunchy that way. I always use almost 2:1 water in generic white rice from the store (I live in the USA)

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Globofglob posted:

What did I do wrong?

You should get a lid. They're not that expensive and you will want one for cooking rice (and lots of other stuff).

As for making rice, this recipe is very easy, ridiculously good, and for some reason impresses my wife whenever I make it (warning: rice may not impress all potential girlfriends/boyfriends).

Her recipe for coconut rice is pretty decent and even easier to make.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
Give me your best recipe for fudgy, deliciously unhealthy brownies!

e: please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

My current favorite:

Before that, I used to like Alton Brown's all cocoa recipe.

quote:

Ingredients

Soft butter, for greasing the pan
Flour, for dusting the buttered pan
4 large eggs
1 cup sugar, sifted
1 cup brown sugar, sifted
8 ounces melted butter
11/4 cups cocoa, sifted
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup flour, sifted
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

Directions

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Butter and flour an 8-inch square pan.

In a mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the eggs at medium speed until fluffy and light yellow. Add both sugars. Add remaining ingredients, and mix to combine.

Pour the batter into a greased and floured 8-inch square pan and bake for 45 minutes. Check for doneness with the tried-and-true toothpick method: a toothpick inserted into the center of the pan should come out clean. When it's done, remove to a rack to cool. Resist the temptation to cut into it until it's mostly cool.

SERVINGS: 16 (PER BROWNIE); Calories: 243; Total Fat: 13 grams; Saturated Fat: 8 grams; Protein: 3 grams; Total carbohydrates: 28 grams; Sugar: 22 grams Fiber: 1 grams; Cholesterol: 83 milligrams; Sodium: 82 milligrams