Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Can someone please point me towards the tutorial-like LP of this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Firstborn posted:

Can someone please point me towards the tutorial-like LP of this?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3559664

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

KOraithER posted:

You can look up characters in the history files for the game. Peter is hard-coded to be Diligent, Patient, Zealous, and a Mastermind Theologian. Since historical characters are set to have at least 4 traits, one more is randomly generated for him.

Another fun fact; he starts with the name "Simon" and is scripted to change his name to "Peter" on January 1, 30.

That's really indepth actually. Now I am prompted to ask why :v:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
There's going to be a Days of Jesus expansion, confirmed.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
I haven't played in about a year. What did I miss other than Steam implementation?

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
I never, ever touch the religion screen. I just checked Rome to find out the Popes opinion of me. Am I missing out on something here? I've only been safe Catholic countries and im playing vanilla no expansions. I can see why it might be more relevant with some expansions, but I'm not using it at all. I struggle even to find the court chaplain anything holy to do and usually just have him study.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
If you have SoA you could mess around with the College of Cardinals.

Speaking of, does anybody else have a minor issue where none of your Popes leave the College of Cardinals, so they keep the title Cardinal when they get elected? When they die, of course, they lose their spot on the College, and then and only then do they gain the title of Pope.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Fat Turkey posted:

I never, ever touch the religion screen. I just checked Rome to find out the Popes opinion of me. Am I missing out on something here? I've only been safe Catholic countries and im playing vanilla no expansions. I can see why it might be more relevant with some expansions, but I'm not using it at all. I struggle even to find the court chaplain anything holy to do and usually just have him study.

If the Pope likes you you can ask him for money (costs some piety as well), so you should always have your court chaplain kissing his rear end since he can give you quite a bit (several hundred gold as a minimum, can be more than 1000).

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Top Hats Monthly posted:

That's really indepth actually. Now I am prompted to ask why :v:

Because this is a Grand Strategy game made by an entire studio of history nerds :P

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Alright, at last! Let's do this!

I've been playing this as often as I can since the mod first came out and I finally got to this point. (You can see I've not had a huge amount of free time.)

I own the North East from Prince Edward Island to Cape May, New Jersey. I border just two rivals- Hudsonia and Quebec, both of whom I can utterly destroy whenever I want. My two sons with ~20 marshal skills are the kings of the Maritimes and Jersey respectively. I've got a giant pile of cash for mercenaries. I'm ready for this, but it's not going to be easy.

But wait... what's this?

... what?

Okay, that's odd. They're not here yet, but they've offered to help defend me against New Rome's crusade... (The Pope owns a church on Prince Edward Island, so they keep crusading me. It's been too much of a pain to kick them out.) I guess there's no harm in accepting.

Yeah, here they are, I'm ready for this battle!

... Why are their troops blue?

We're... allies. Huh.

They never went after any Papal territories, and only seemed to smack down the useless little Texan crusaders in my territory by accident occasionally. I peaced out with the Pope and the massive Redcoat armies just kind of wandered around New England forlornly. I'm considering a divorce so I can marry the Lord Admiral and use his troops to conquer poo poo.

So... I guess this is a bug report- The Redcoats probably shouldn't be the same religion as New England to prevent them joining in a holy war before they get ashore. Heck, a different religion would be more interesting anyway. I'd split up all the occults into more specific groups- like something specifically Lovecraftian for New England, a kind of British Occultism, and give another name to the Appalachian branch. I get it's kind of a catch-all "backwards pagan" religion to be beaten up on, but it feels weird to be so generic when you're playing them.

While I'm pointing out poo poo... Enetic succession... seriously confuses the AI in really annoying ways.

My Queen lived for ages. She took the throne at 12 and is currently 80. That's awesome. But she had a daughter when she was in her 20s. She's got two granddaughters now... who are patralineally married. She's actually got a pile of grandchildren who aren't of her dynasty, and there was nothing I could do about that. I don't know exactly how the game will work, but I'll soon be playing an empress who has a bunch of non-dynasty children, and I'm not sure who her heir will be, or if it'll just give me a game over.

Less annoyingly but still silly- the King of the Maritimes killed his brother's, the King of Jersey's, son. This despite the fact that the elder daughter was the King of Jersey's heir.

Bonus shot of a Bostonian enjoying himself:

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Because this is a Grand Strategy game made by an entire studio of history nerds :P

If you watch streams and stuff from paradox devs they don't really seem to be that into history. It's a company now first and foremost, not a passion project.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Yes, non-dynasty (great)grandchildren are just a hazard of non-agnatic inheritence laws and long lived rulers. It falls on to you to make sure the people in your line of succession are wedded appropriately(or dead), that's just how it is.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Piell posted:

If the Pope likes you you can ask him for money (costs some piety as well), so you should always have your court chaplain kissing his rear end since he can give you quite a bit (several hundred gold as a minimum, can be more than 1000).

Fun thing to do is donate 300 to Holy Orders, gain 300 piety and immediately use that to get Pope money.

It's one weird trick popes hate!

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
I'm looking for advice on playing Bohemia as a vassal of the HRE (Stamford Bridge Bookmark).

1) My obvious first goal is to create the Kingdom of Bohemia, which is easy because I will start off controlling all the De Jure territory. Beyond that, what should I do? If I recall correctly the Duke of Bohemia starts the game married to a Polish princess, so should I be looking at a way to claim Poland somewhere along the line? This would also give me territory next to some pagan lands, and with twin kingdoms Holy Warring those should be a piece of cake.
2) Would there be any reason for me to stick with Bohemian culture? Flipping to German culture would make the rest of the electors in the HRE like me more, improving my chances of being elected Kaiser.
3) As far as expansion goes, once/if I get elected Kaiser should I be looking at expansion towards Western Europe or the Baltics? Or should I just do the thing where I get an antipope set up and then claim the Papacy as my vassal?

Come to think of it, what other good starts are there where you are a strong vassal of a big Empire with plenty of options as far as expansion goes?

E: phone typing is hard

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

beedeebee posted:

Fun thing to do is donate 300 to Holy Orders, gain 300 piety and immediately use that to get Pope money.

It's one weird trick popes hate!

I think they removed donating to holy orders.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I think they removed donating to holy orders.

Huh? Unless I'm playing an older version, I'm pretty sure it's still in the game. Sometimes it disappears in the menu though, no idea what causes that.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

beedeebee posted:

Huh? Unless I'm playing an older version, I'm pretty sure it's still in the game. Sometimes it disappears in the menu though, no idea what causes that.

I didn't have it ever during my last game, so I just assumed they patched it out when I stopped playing for a while.

In other news, I actually gotan Erik the Heathen game off the ground. I am the boss of Scandinavia, but I can't seem to get my MA up to 50. I managed to snag Zeeland from France, but the moment I did the HRE holy warred it right back. I guess I'm gonna be conquesting my way through Finland and Russia until I can get enough MA to reform.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!

beedeebee posted:

I may be totally wrong here but I think you can only donate to them if they are unlanded. Last time I donated to a holy order they used that money to build a holding in one of my counties (with my permission) and then the option vanished.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I didn't have it ever during my last game, so I just assumed they patched it out when I stopped playing for a while.

In other news, I actually gotan Erik the Heathen game off the ground. I am the boss of Scandinavia, but I can't seem to get my MA up to 50. I managed to snag Zeeland from France, but the moment I did the HRE holy warred it right back. I guess I'm gonna be conquesting my way through Finland and Russia until I can get enough MA to reform.

Raid churches for the sweet +1% to MA per church raided.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Torrannor posted:

Raid churches for the sweet +1% to MA per church raided.

I just conquered the baltic coast instead.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
CK2+ is officially alive again by the way: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?799383-CK2Plus

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

does it still have that pointless new map which lacks india?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

For anyone wanting to try doing Erik the Heathen, aside from the constant restarting while I figured out the optimal path to freedom, it's definitely a worthy Norse challenge cf the comically easy 867 starts, not just because of how outnumbered you are. Norse tech is BAD in 1066. Zero everything except ships means than that Catholic Scandinavians are going to stomp you unless you outnumber them significantly. Additionally, catholic and liberation uprisings are dangerous in the Norwegian mountains even when you're snowballing. Tempted to wait for the Aztecs now.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Megadyptes posted:

does it still have that pointless new map which lacks india?

It's fully compatible with Rajas and includes India.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

For anyone wanting to try doing Erik the Heathen, aside from the constant restarting while I figured out the optimal path to freedom, it's definitely a worthy Norse challenge cf the comically easy 867 starts, not just because of how outnumbered you are. Norse tech is BAD in 1066. Zero everything except ships means than that Catholic Scandinavians are going to stomp you unless you outnumber them significantly. Additionally, catholic and liberation uprisings are dangerous in the Norwegian mountains even when you're snowballing. Tempted to wait for the Aztecs now.

I've tried the Erik the Heathen start a number of times and it always ended in frustration for me. Would you mind sharing your strategy?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Eiba posted:

So... I guess this is a bug report- The Redcoats probably shouldn't be the same religion as New England to prevent them joining in a holy war before they get ashore. Heck, a different religion would be more interesting anyway. I'd split up all the occults into more specific groups- like something specifically Lovecraftian for New England, a kind of British Occultism, and give another name to the Appalachian branch. I get it's kind of a catch-all "backwards pagan" religion to be beaten up on, but it feels weird to be so generic when you're playing them.
I've been working on this a little bit. The newest version of the github dev version has 'Revelationist' in Appalachia, which is basically the snake handling and Charismatic Christianity-sans-Christ thing that's been bandied about now for a while. Regarding British paganism, is 'Emeraldite' or 'Emeraldist' too on-the-nose?

quote:

While I'm pointing out poo poo... Enetic succession... seriously confuses the AI in really annoying ways.

My Queen lived for ages. She took the throne at 12 and is currently 80. That's awesome. But she had a daughter when she was in her 20s. She's got two granddaughters now... who are patralineally married. She's actually got a pile of grandchildren who aren't of her dynasty, and there was nothing I could do about that. I don't know exactly how the game will work, but I'll soon be playing an empress who has a bunch of non-dynasty children, and I'm not sure who her heir will be, or if it'll just give me a game over.
That's an ongoing issue with CK2. There's some general mods that have apparently gotten Enatic succession to work a lot better, but I haven't checked them out yet.

e: Appalachia reminds me, where the hell can I find a better flag for k_appalachia? I picked that one up off of GIS ages ago but it's just so plain

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Sep 4, 2014

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Just started playing again after a few months, using latest version of HIP. I had a faction that wanted to put someone else on the throne of the Byz Empire. I kept getting the ultimatum event from the faction leader, but every time I refused and he launched his rebellion, it would immediately end with "casus belli no longer valid." Is that a bug (for HIP or the game proper)? I was pretty good buds with the claimant (+60 relation?), is there some new mechanic that prevents potential claimants from being called against people they like?

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

What DLC do you guys like best? I got the Byzantine DLC for the retinues, but I'm thinking of getting a new fun one. I love Islamic history so I'm considering getting the Sword of Islam, but Old Gods and the Hindu one look awesome as well.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
What does the new CK2+ map look like? The absurd extra provinces and holdings killed the last version for me.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Ratpick posted:

I've tried the Erik the Heathen start a number of times and it always ended in frustration for me. Would you mind sharing your strategy?

It's pretty cheesy, but I'll lay out exactly what I did because it was drat frustrating for me too.

Before unpausing

1) Imprison and banish every vassal including barony level. Probably best to restart if any county level guys revolt. Fire and rehire Dan Lind and have him suppress revolts in the provinces you are imprisoning. Be careful about imprisoning your spymaster because you need him to keep your arrest chance up. Don't forget to replace him with someone who doesn't have a -2000 tyranny malus afterwards if you want to live.

2) Raise your demesne troops (you should have 4k+) and mop up any revolts (hopefully not too many, better to restart now than later).

3) Invite 5 nobles to court and give them your surplus counties. Do the right click thing to get rid of cities and churches. Raise your new vassal levies.

4) Move troops toward the Swedish capital. Start a faction for your claim to Sweden and unpause.

By now Stenkil would have joined Denmark's war for Lubeck.

5) Enforce faction demands. You should be at around 200% faction strength so it's fairly likely that he will give in without a fight. If not, you can make a go of the war. One time I got lucky and captured his son as a general, but the run that worked for me, he caved without a fight.

6) Pause the game. Do step one again. Stenkil will be in jail so he's easy to banish, and he even ends up in you court so oyu can just imprison him again if you fear a claim.

7) Generate nobles. It might be more expensive now because of realm size, so you might have to hand out multiple counties to one guy to save money. Use discretion. Don't hand out titles just yet

8) Declare war on Denmark and Norway for their holy sites SIMULTANEOUSLY.

9) Raise super troops, hand out titles, raise vassal levies. Go for Denmark first while Norway's troops are in England.

10) It honestly should not take long to win here. You'll have 10k troops.

11) Grant independence to Gotland to get under 40 holdings. I hosed up and got the Norse opm to be my vassal when I became king and had to grant the Norwegian holy site independence to get under as well, but if you follow this you won't have to.

12) Prepare an invasion against Norway.

13) Spend the next 2 years looting the poo poo out of Norway with invasion troops (and anyone else) and beating up any troops they have on the mainland.

14) Win invasion. Congrats you probably don't need help now. Boost MA any way you can and reform the faith.

This is off the top of my head so a few details might be off, but you should get the general idea.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Eruonen posted:

What DLC do you guys like best? I got the Byzantine DLC for the retinues, but I'm thinking of getting a new fun one. I love Islamic history so I'm considering getting the Sword of Islam, but Old Gods and the Hindu one look awesome as well.

Sword of Islam is honestly pretty terrible. Old Gods kicks rear end though.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Sword of Islam is honestly pretty terrible.

How so?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Decadence is a bad mechanic. Not much flavour. Rajas is bad for the same reason, though the Indian Mechanics are not so much bad, just not very engaging.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
The developers have said they're going to try and fix Decadence (again) in Charlemagne, though. So it maybe won't be so terrible soon.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I still love how they went from one extreme of Decadence of it spiriling out of control to the other extreme of it never being a problem and ensuring you're swimming in gold and super soldiers.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

xNarUtoRKOrton420x posted:

I still love how they went from one extreme of Decadence of it spiriling out of control to the other extreme of it never being a problem and ensuring you're swimming in gold and super soldiers.

It still can get out of control late game. But even when its in control, its very annoying. Really a bad mechanic. The idea inst all that bad, its just the implementation. I hope they can fix it next patch. But even with decadence, playing a muslin can still be a lot of fun.

Not so much for hindus, though. Its basically the same as playing an european, except you have to deal with that lame caste system that was kinda shoehorned into the game and with less content in every area (events, characters, decisions, everything). I never played buddhist or jain much, so I dont know about then, but hindu was a disappointment for me.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

I see you Italy and raise you Glorious Serbja, True Heir to the Holy Orthodox Church, 5th Rome.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Question on save-file compatibility with different DLCs as I'm about to start a succession game with friends.

If I'm playing as Catholic ruler with all DLCs except Sunset Invasion enabled (including Portrait Packs + Music), will a friend who only has SoA+ToG+LoR DLCs be able to open, play, and save the game?

Or should I disable all DLCs except for those three?

Also, if I am using Ruler Designer to design a starting character, will subsequent players need Ruler Designer to play that save file?

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Eric the Mauve posted:

There's going to be a Days of Jesus expansion, confirmed.

I would play the poo poo out of this DLC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Decadence is a bad mechanic. Not much flavour. Rajas is bad for the same reason, though the Indian Mechanics are not so much bad, just not very engaging.

Playing as Muslims is still really awesome though, and opens up like half the map. I mean decadence is lovely, but they have plenty of other things going on. I wouldn't mind another SoA style dlc to give them some more depth, but I could say that about any West European culture group.

• Locked thread