Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Dodge is resurrecting the old "FirePower" engine nameplate and have released info on the 2015 Drag-Pak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEVlYISatgU

lol the FirePower is an all aluminum block based on the 426, Dodge is loving insane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Tacier posted:

Why is the premium for 4-wheel drive $3000 more on the Colorado than on the Silverado 1500?

Because the base model colorado is sold at or near a loss so they can advertize "$20k" everywhere and get people into the showroom to option them up the rear end.

In the US(left), the f-150 starts at $25,000. In canada(right), the f-150 starts at $19,999

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

So that's why they outright stated that no Hellcat Dart was going to happen.

We're getting the SRT-426 instead!

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
SRT-354*

:laugh:

Hence the "FirePower" tag.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

VikingSkull posted:

SRT-354*

:laugh:

Hence the "FirePower" tag.

Yes, but I prefer my way.

Chrysler seems to be undergoing a Ford-like metamorphosis from being a manufacturer of inexcusably wretched American poo poo to a legitimate world-class automaker, I sincerely hope they continue the current trend as they still seem to be the automaker most willing to make awesome things like the SRT and Abarth lines.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I love them because instead of changing their lineup to draw more from international trends like GM or Ford, they've just doubled down on the "gently caress you we're American" path.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

VikingSkull posted:

I love them because instead of changing their lineup to draw more from international trends like GM or Ford, they've just doubled down on the "gently caress you we're American" path.

But, you see, there needs to be at least one car manufacturer that is unabashedly American about its products (even if it's owned by an Italian company). This world would suck if the only thing everyone produced were Honda Civics and Toyota Camrys.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

:siren: half an hour until the new mazda miata is unveiled :siren:

livestream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ze5GPxABcMs

Powershift fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Sep 4, 2014

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
watching a new car unveil live on the net

the future owns

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

VikingSkull posted:

Exactly, but they're drawing from the old-school good American, not the more modern "Builds loving horrible poo poo that falls apart around you and may or not may not murder you and your loved ones due to manufacturing defects and design flaws intentionally allowed into production to save a few bucks" American that is GM.

I think the proof is going to be in the Dart SRT, as awesome as the SRT Grand Cherokee, Charger and Challenger are they're still just bigger V8 options in models that already have a V8. Given the 4WD system they designed for the new Dart-platform based Cherokee and the fact that the Pentastar V6 fits in it I am hoping and expecting the upcoming Dart SRT to just rip the balls off every other hot hatch on the market, SRT-4 Neon style.

Powershift posted:

:siren: half an hour until the new mazda miata is unveiled :siren:

livestream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ze5GPxABcMs

poo poo, I'm not even going to be considering a new car until next year and I'm hyped for this. I can't wait to see the Fiat version personally, the 500 Abarth is one of my favourite new cars being made today; little fucker just has so much god drat character.

Edit: New Miata is gorgeous. I need one.

Wheeee fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Sep 4, 2014

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

http://www.mazda.com/publicity/release/2014/201409/140904a.html?link_id=news

http://www.mazda.com/stories/craftmanship/mx-5/mx-5_25th2/

click for bigger

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is the guy from Duran Duran tone deaf? lol

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

CharlesM posted:

Is the guy from Duran Duran tone deaf? lol

He sounds fine to me. Not sure about those taillights, though.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Wheeee posted:

Exactly, but they're drawing from the old-school good American, not the more modern "Builds loving horrible poo poo that falls apart around you and may or not may not murder you and your loved ones due to manufacturing defects and design flaws intentionally allowed into production to save a few bucks" American that is GM.

:rolleyes:

Hey, if I hang 800 lbs of poo poo from my keychain or bang the key fob repeatedly with my knee or drive drunk in bad weather, side swipe a car, and then roll into a ditch things might not work properly.

I almost think the headlights on the Miata look a little small or squinty or something? Still looks pretty good.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

fknlo posted:

Hey, if I hang 800 lbs of poo poo from my keychain or bang the key fob repeatedly with my knee or drive drunk in bad weather, side swipe a car, and then roll into a ditch things might not work properly.

Well sure let's pretend for a moment that's not an issue that has literally killed people, now you just have to worry about getting into an accident and your loving seat breaking loose due to poor welds!

Even disregarding the Pinto-esque design flaws that management has covered up at GM over the past decade they still produce ugly, lovely vehicles with poor resale value and atrocious interiors that are somehow worse than the value-driven Koreans. I know the Corvette is cool and that somewhere within GM there lurk some competent engineers, but don't pretend that their products for the past few decades have been competitive at all outside of the fleet and utterly uninformed buyers markets. GM builds poo poo, even their trucks which are by far their best products are relatively poo poo compared to the competition. Yes, I am also aware that the Allison transmission they use on their HD diesels is awesome, but everything wrapped around it is garbage.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

It's been 15 minutes, let the bitching photoshopping commence! Sure, Jaguar might sue em for Taillight Infringement but I think the Miata's rear lights would look a heck of a light better if they had 'eyelids'

link to less lovely copy on my own hosting: http://48twenty.com/miata.jpg

Fayez Butts fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Sep 4, 2014

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Fayez Butts posted:

It's been 15 minutes, let the bitching photoshopping commence! Sure, Jaguar might sue em for Taillight Infringement but I think the Miata's rear lights would look a heck of a light better if they had 'eyelids'

The important thing is that while the ND Miata MX-5 looks lovely save for a couple things it's being shared with Fiat and from this base the Italians shall surely carve something beautiful.

I hope.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Fayez Butts posted:

Agreed...the taillights are the weakest part of the package, visually. That says a lot. I'm totally gaga over the contouring in the profile, the hood, and the rear deck.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I want more specs. I just see 100kg lighter (great!) and the smallest one ever (perhaps great) although wider and lower?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Wheeee posted:

Well sure let's pretend for a moment that's not an issue that has literally killed people, now you just have to worry about getting into an accident and your loving seat breaking loose due to poor welds!

Even disregarding the Pinto-esque design flaws that management has covered up at GM over the past decade they still produce ugly, lovely vehicles with poor resale value and atrocious interiors that are somehow worse than the value-driven Koreans. I know the Corvette is cool and that somewhere within GM there lurk some competent engineers, but don't pretend that their products for the past few decades have been competitive at all outside of the fleet and utterly uninformed buyers markets. GM builds poo poo, even their trucks which are by far their best products are relatively poo poo compared to the competition. Yes, I am also aware that the Allison transmission they use on their HD diesels is awesome, but everything wrapped around it is garbage.

You seem very mad about this. Have you considered expressing your feelings in the form of Calvin peeing on things?

Goober Peas posted:

Agreed...the taillights are the weakest part of the package, visually. That says a lot. I'm totally gaga over the contouring in the profile, the hood, and the rear deck.

It looks like the old Miata crossed with an S2000 and it's great.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Has the Colorado released 4 cylinder fuel mileage yet? Curious about the stick.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Cream_Filling posted:

It looks like the old Miata crossed with an S2000 and it's great.

With just a touch of GT86 on that front end.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Kenshin posted:

With just a touch of GT86 on that front end.

...and just a sprinkling of F-Type.

It's awesome.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Christobevii3 posted:

The stick will probably be worse than the auto. First gear will probably be super short to get 4000lbs + payload/trailer moving with only 191 ft/lbs, and the only rear gears with the i4 are 4.10s.

The Chevy impala uses the same engines to move less weight, the 2.5 i4 gets 21 city/31 highway. the 3.6 gets 19/29. I'd be surprised of the 2.5 in the pickup does better than 20/26 with a stick.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Cream_Filling posted:

You seem very mad about this. Have you considered expressing your feelings in the form of Calvin peeing on things?

Noticing that a lovely manufacturer produces lovely products is hardly being "mad" sorry.

Is there any info on when Fiat/Chrysler is showing their version of the new MX-5?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Wheeee posted:

Noticing that a lovely manufacturer produces lovely products is hardly being "mad" sorry.

Except you're legitimately coming off as mad about it.

Christobevii3 posted:

Probably won't be great. I wish they'd release more info about the diesel already. Like what transmission it's going to get. 8 speed or bust as far as I'm concerned.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
Does anyone know why ever single modern car has these 2"-3" slab sided wheel arches? Like when you look at the profile of any car, it's like all curves, but then it's like they shaved the last few inches off the width of the clay model, so the wheel arches got cut narrow and you get this defined flat arch around the wheel. Classic cars don't have that. Is this a styling thing that everybody likes and my feeble un-designer mind can't grasp?

older cars typically didn't do it

It seems to have picked up in the 2000s?

It really stands out to me on the new miata

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

DoLittle posted:

A test mule for a future Alfa Giulia has been spotted in a shortened Ghibli body:

Tipo (type) 952 is the internal model code. FWD 156 was 932, 166 936, 147/GT 937, 159/Brera/Spider 939.

Here's an "artist impression" of what the new Giulia could look like (Nothing to do with Alfa/FCA):

Yeah I know it's from a page back and apparently the new Miata has been unveiled or something, but are you sure about the FWD part of that? Says here it's gonna be RWD/AWD:

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1029638_2016-alfa-romeo-giulia-spy-shots

EDIT: I are read good :pseudo:

Taaaaaaarb! fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Sep 4, 2014

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Hog Obituary posted:

Does anyone know why ever single modern car has these 2"-3" slab sided wheel arches?

My guess would be aerodynamics.

The wheel arches are huge gaps in the body work on the side of the car. By flattening the edge of those arches, it encourages smooth airflow across the gap. A curve would create turbulent airflow and likely increase drag.

It also allows them to push the track of the car wider without actually physically making the car wider.

Cars used to be styled for style sake. Now, styling is combined with computer simulations on airflow with target MPG goals in mind. Any little bit they can tweak out, they will take.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

bull3964 posted:

The wheel arches are huge gaps in the body work on the side of the car. By flattening the edge of those arches, it encourages smooth airflow across the gap. A curve would create turbulent airflow and likely increase drag.

It also allows them to push the track of the car wider without actually physically making the car wider.

Cars used to be styled for style sake. Now, styling is combined with computer simulations on airflow with target MPG goals in mind. Any little bit they can tweak out, they will take.

Ahh, I believe it. So basically we need to bring back box flares

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

Yeah I know it's from a page back and apparently the new Miata has been unveiled or something, but are you sure about the FWD part of that? Says here it's gonna be RWD/AWD:

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1029638_2016-alfa-romeo-giulia-spy-shots

He didn't say it was FWD. That was the 156.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

bull3964 posted:

I'd hazard a guess it might also have something to do with panel rigidity. A nicely placed crease can make all the difference between a solid feeling panel and something that flaps in a light breeze. Could also mean that they can use a thinner sheet thickness and save some weight.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Aargh posted:

I'd hazard a guess it might also have something to do with panel rigidity. A nicely placed crease can make all the difference between a solid feeling panel and something that flaps in a light breeze. Could also mean that they can use a thinner sheet thickness and save some weight.

It might also be ease of manufacture. Way easier to cut an opening on a flat surface than on a curving one without it coming out bent if its crooked.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

fknlo posted:

To be honest, I'm pretty loving mad about it. And I think it's a legitimate anger. For a company to manufacture and sell products that it knows is dangerous and then 1) cover up the danger to as to try to save their rear end, and 2) try to use the bailout as a shield from litigation, that's pretty lovely. People died due to their incompetence as a company.

Speaking as an automotive engineer, they give automotive engineering a bad name and deserve all the ill they have coming their way over it.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
This GM recall is interesting:

124,007 model year 2014 Chevrolet Caprice, 2014 Chevrolet SS, 2014-2015 Chevrolet Silverado LD and HD, 2013-2014 Cadillac ATS, 2014 Cadillac CTS, 2014 Cadillac ELR; 2013-2014 Buick Encore; and 2014-2015 GMC Sierra LD and HD vehicles because certain vehicles may have an incomplete weld on the seat hook bracket assembly.

How did they manage to screw up the SS, is the seat weld something that is done after the car arrives in the US, or did the Australians do something wrong?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

CornHolio posted:

People died due to their incompetence as a company.

And we all know this is the first time in history that has happened.

My god, I hit my 80lb keychain with my knee and the car shut off! What will I do now?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

fknlo posted:

I almost think the headlights on the Miata look a little small or squinty or something? Still looks pretty good.

fknlo posted:

fknlo posted:

My god, I hit my 80lb keychain with my knee and the car shut off! What will I do now?

Maybe you should stop getting mad at things on the internet whilst telling other people not to get mad at things on the internet. You also own really heavy keychains.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

fknlo posted:

Allow me to reiterate.

People died as a direct result of their incompetence. They knew about the problem, they knew about people dying, and instead of fixing the issue, they covered it up. Anger is a very legitimate reaction to that scenario.

What makes it really dangerous isn't the fact that the car shuts off when the ignition is jiggled (it doesn't even take a heavy keychain, from what I understand, the spring in the ignition cylinder is too weak to hold the key in if there's much pressure on it at all), it's the fact that when the car is off, the airbags won't operate.

If people aren't angry over this, it says to GM that it's OK. It says to other companies that it's OK to release shittily-engineered products that could kill you at any time.

Ford learned a hard lesson with the Pinto, and GM needs to learn the same hard lesson with this.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

fknlo posted:

Oh ok sorry, THIS time it's cool to not be upset at all about it. Happens all the time, it's cool man what can you do I'm Mr. Cool E. Internet man being chill and rad over here :cool:

No matter who you are this GM thing should be making you angry.
1. A company that the United States collectively dug out from going into bankruptcy has completely annihilated all the good will they had built up in the matter of months.
2. A symbol of American Pride™ is now again being viewed as low-end primitive garbage, making the USA look bad.
3. A company took a risk in trying to save as much money as possible is now losing more than it would have spent, making a bad as heck fiscal move.
4. A clear cut example of why their needs to be strict regulation and penalties for corporations.
5. lol GM sucks lol

You're right though, it's happened before so really everyone that shows any emotion toward it at all is a big blubbering baby!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Hey what's the difference between GM and the USSR?