Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Lizard Combatant posted:

Speaking of Anidav's job woes, does anyone have the actual stats for job seekers vs job vacancies at hand? Got a buffoon arguing the numbers are reversed.

If there are infinite jobs why doesn't he have a better one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ol Sweepy
Nov 28, 2005

Safety First

Lizard Combatant posted:

Speaking of Anidav's job woes, does anyone have the actual stats for job seekers vs job vacancies at hand? Got a buffoon arguing the numbers are reversed.
unemployment figures
http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/mf/6202.0

quote:

Unemployment increased 43,700 to 789,000. The number of unemployed persons looking for full-time work increased 21,900 to 566,400 and the number of unemployed persons only looking for part-time work increased 21,800 to 222,60

Latest Job vacancy figures I could find

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/mf/6354.0

quote:

Total job vacancies in May 2014 were 146,100, an increase of 2.1% from February 2014.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Some of you know really dumb people.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Matthew Beet posted:

Friend of a friend.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

Matthew Beet posted:

Hi welcome to Auspol

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Sinodinos and Loughnane are CC'd in an email talking about how a property developer's donations were to be used. Both the developer and Sinodinos' lawyer say that it doesn't actually mean the money would be used for NSW campaigns, because that would be illegal.

Also Mike Gallacher knows in his heart that he isn't corrupt.

If anyone's wondering (probably not), the Harry Triguboff mentioned in that email is the owner/founder of Meriton - the cheapest and shittiest construction company in the state :v:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Seems like a few other people are trying to tell ICAC "No, we obviously meant to donate to the Federal Liberal partydespite what the email says and the fact it's a few months before a state election"

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Haters Objector posted:

Hi welcome to Australia

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE7PspJmiZs

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Probably going to be nothing, but really hyped up nothing. The media haven't finished their "honeymoon" period with the government yet, unlike the view from the general public

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

You Am I posted:

Probably going to be nothing, but really hyped up nothing. The media haven't finished their "honeymoon" period with the government yet, unlike the view from the general public

Know what happens during a honeymoon?

People get hosed.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Sir Shion posted:

Know what happens during a honeymoon?

People get hosed.

I laughed, then I cried.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I tried watching 60 Minutes for the first time years last week, and holy poo poo it was loving infuriating. They've picked up that American habit of doing a 10-minute intro, then 2 minutes of "coming up later" before the commercials. Then after the ad break, it's literally 5 minutes of recapping what you've already seen, followed by a few minutes of actual content then another 2 minutes of "coming up after the break".

Repeat until the full hour is finished and you realise it's literally a 15-20 minute story with 20 minutes of repeated content and 20 minutes of ads :suicide:

Kim Jong ill
Jul 28, 2010

NORTH KOREA IS ONLY KOREA.
GetUp is organizing another round of LightTheDark vigils around the country for Hamid Kehazaei, a 24 year old Iranian asylum seeker who has died in Australia's care. I'll be going to the one in Adelaide, I hope as many of you who have the time will do the same where ever you are.

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

Gorilla Salad posted:

What it will be is endless handouts and bailouts for mates.

This is why I don't make any extra super contributions. I know it baffled some people last time I brought it up, but I honestly believe that superannuation as we know it will just not be there when I retire.

There will be taxes, fees, national budget emergencies where "we all have to do our part (but only if you were born after 1965)".

It will be like the Detroit bankruptcy, where public employees who had a lifetime of sacrifice in their pension funds suddenly found themselves with large holes where they thought their retirement savings were.

Superannuation, unless you're rich, means 'sacrifice now, so the government has something else to take from you later'.
Those sorts of pensions are exactly why superannuation was invented. With our population demographics and increasing lifespans, they would be ruinously expensive for governments to fund as the baby boomers all retire. Either pensions would be cut, like Detroit, or other services would be, or working people would be left footing it via tax increases, or all the above. The government getting into your superannuation would be the same as them getting into any other bank account you own i.e.

Gough Suppressant posted:

Except that's not really the same at all, because to do this the government would have to literally do a cyprus style raid on private accounts.
Our superannuation system was pretty visionary in that it foresaw that the old pension schemes wouldn't be sustainable. I don't think there are very many guaranteed fixed-amount pensions left; there was an old Unisuper one that caused a kerfuffle a few years back when they were running out of money. The schemes for state and federal politicians are notable outliers, they're extremely generous.

The age pension makes up one-third of the welfare budget and 10% of all government spending. And it's still barely enough to get by on if you have no super. By the time we're older, the pension age will be higher and eligibility will be a lot tighter; that article lists a bunch of things that could be included in means testing, like assets or house price.

If you aren't putting anything extra in super, I sure hope you're saving it away somewhere else. One of the only financial advantages of youth is more time for compound interest to work.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

webmeister posted:

I tried watching 60 Minutes for the first time years last week, and holy poo poo it was loving infuriating. They've picked up that American habit of doing a 10-minute intro, then 2 minutes of "coming up later" before the commercials. Then after the ad break, it's literally 5 minutes of recapping what you've already seen, followed by a few minutes of actual content then another 2 minutes of "coming up after the break".

Repeat until the full hour is finished and you realise it's literally a 15-20 minute story with 20 minutes of repeated content and 20 minutes of ads :suicide:

That and it mostly just runs ACA-tier tabloid horseshit nowadays.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I dont remember a time it wasnt running ACA style stories.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

It used to be pretty good, but that's 2-3 decades ago.

Even ACA had higher (still poo poo) standards earlier though.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
You'd reckon these morons would set up hotmail addresses or whatever to organise their criminal activities

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
http://www.australiandoctor.com.au/news/latest-news/chief-immigration-bureaucrat-gets-top-health-job

quote:

Immigration secretary Martin Bowles, who has been at the centre of controversy over the healthcare of asylum seekers in mandatory detention, is to become the new bureaucratic head of the Federal Department of Health.

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

T-1000 posted:

there was an old Unisuper one that caused a kerfuffle a few years back when they were running out of money.

Unisuper still has the "Defined Benefit Division". When my wife got her first university job we needed to decide if she should go with accumulation (basically standard super) or defined benefits (basically fixed amount pension). We went with accumulation. Our logic was that Unisuper's internal investments would approximately match the performance of the external ones. If their internal predictions were too optimistic they would use Clause 34 to reduce benefits and avoid running out of money, putting us at approximately where we would have been in accumulation. If their internal predictions were too pessimistic they would pocket the difference and we would get less than we would have got with accumulation.

There's a fairly prominent notice on the defined benefits division page that:

http://www.unisuper.com.au/new-to-unisuper/unisuper-products/defined-benefit-division posted:

Clause 34 of the Trust Deed provides a process for the UniSuper Trustee to manage the financial position of the DBD, including reducing members’ defined benefits if necessary.

The Board of UniSuper has made a decision under Clause 34 of the Trust Deed to reduce benefits by changing the way future Defined Benefit Division (DBD) benefits will accrue from 1 January 2015. More information about the decision, including examples of how DBD benefits may be impacted from 1 January 2015 can be found here.

I now feel like a totally vindicated all knowing financial wizard.

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

Urcher posted:

Unisuper still has the "Defined Benefit Division". When my wife got her first university job we needed to decide if she should go with accumulation (basically standard super) or defined benefits (basically fixed amount pension). We went with accumulation. Our logic was that Unisuper's internal investments would approximately match the performance of the external ones. If their internal predictions were too optimistic they would use Clause 34 to reduce benefits and avoid running out of money, putting us at approximately where we would have been in accumulation. If their internal predictions were too pessimistic they would pocket the difference and we would get less than we would have got with accumulation.

There's a fairly prominent notice on the defined benefits division page that:

I now feel like a totally vindicated all knowing financial wizard.
You are indeed a finance wizard. Clause 34 is what they were doing in 2013. They still seem to be running it like a bit of a Ponzi scheme:

That link posted:

...independent actuarial advice confirms that the defined-benefit fund is relying on the contributions of new younger members to help fund the larger benefits promised to older members.
All members contribute the same amount: 7 per cent of salary from the employee and 14 per cent of salary from the employer. After deducting the 15 per cent contributions tax, the total annual contribution amounts to 18.9 per cent of salary. But up to age 40, the lump-sum benefit accrues at 18 per cent of final average salary per year of service. After 40, the benefit accrual rate increases by 0.2 per cent of final average salary per year. At 45, the accrual rate is 19 per cent of final average salary, marginally above the contribution rate. At age 65, the benefit accrual rate peaks at 23 per cent of final average salary.

Given that older members have the option to access their larger benefits by retiring or taking redundancy, this benefit accrual structure increases the risks that the money remaining will be insufficient to pay all the benefits promised to remaining members when they exit the fund. Yet unless they opt to leave the defined benefit fund within the first 24 months, the universities force all employees to remain in the defined-benefit fund until they leave university employment.

This is not the case with other defined-benefit funds, which typically allocate benefits on an equitable basis over all age groups.
Defined benefits might be more attractive if you were of a generation that got badly burned by a stock market collapse but I wouldn't trust it for the reasons you outline. More worrying stuff here.

This is not financial advice, I am not a financial adviser.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Defined benefit pension schemes have always been a bit dodgy which is why they've all essentially been phased out in favor of defined contribution schemes.

e: Just read that Unisuper article and what a clusterfuck that is. Surprised how little of its been mentioned in the mainstream business news.

Ragingsheep fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Sep 4, 2014

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
http://www.dss.gov.au/sites/default/files/documents/06_2014/welfare_reform_executive_summary_final_accessible_2.pdf

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Here's a cheerful list from Crikey today, which says don't worry about the terrorism, worry about loving gastro and falling out of loving bed.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-09-04/10-charts-australia-foreign-affairs/5719578

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVtyOwcQo-w

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

ewe2 posted:

Here's a cheerful list from Crikey today, which says don't worry about the terrorism, worry about loving gastro.

Yeah but look at the other things listed.

1. Not depressed
2. I'm a good driver
3. I've got a gun/karate skills so don't care.
4. Not a dirty abbo
5. Not gay
6. Not a chick
7. Not old
8. I'm a real tradie, I don't need worksafety.
9. I don't get on a roof
10. I'm not a faggy sparkie.
11. I'm not a faggy office worker
12. I'm not poor
13. I'm not a farmer
14. MUSLIMS ARE FUCKIN EVERYWHER
15. See 4

Terrorism is the only thing on that list that scares the swinging voter bogan.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
While the stench of the whole document is hard to describe:

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
You could probably fold some of the "Fall Off Chairs" stat into "Suicides". But yeah, humans in state based societies are pretty bad at determining what is deadly. Cars, for example. Or surgery. Not plane crashes or shark attacks.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

EvilElmo posted:

Terrorism is the only thing on that list that scares the swinging voter bogan.

Oh, you read the article too?

We have a rockn'roll party in Victoria now

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-09-04/gotye-leads-rock-n-roll-party-to-victorian-election/5720066 posted:

Gotye and his bandmates have formed a rock'n'roll-based political group to contest the upcoming Victorian election.

The Grammy winner and his fellow musicians from Melbourne group, The Basics, have started the Basics Rock'n'Roll Party.

They will run for an Upper House seat.

Bassist Kris Schroeder said the band had always been politically active and starting their own party was the next step.

"It was a bit of a spur of the moment thing, we're not politicians," he said.

"We've come to accept the way things are a lot of the time and I think we're demonstrating it doesn't have to be that way.

"We're putting our money where our mouth is and rather than just have whinge about things."

Schroeder said the party's focus would be on promoting changes in the areas of education, innovation and rock'n'roll.

Imagine if Midnight Oil had thought of that.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Sep 4, 2014

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

redweird posted:

You could probably fold some of the "Fall Off Chairs" stat into "Suicides".

This seems like an unconventional way to...

...oh I get it now

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
Workplace goons

I've got a friend who has a job she really loves, however the boss is a complete rear end in a top hat. Most of the stuff is just general terrible human being stuff and not terrible boss stuff, however he's introduced a new rule where family members of staff can't enter the shop at all. She doesn't have a car and sometimes relies on family to pick her up and last time that happened her sister just came in to say, "I've got to do some shopping so meet me next door" which caused her boss to yell at and threaten to fire her.

She regretfully doesn't want to join a union because she's pretty certain that in that work place it'll be more trouble than its worth, so is there anything she can anonymously do while she waits for another job in the industry to open up? Is that even a rule they can legally make (it is Queensland)

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Gentleman Baller posted:

Workplace goons

I've got a friend who has a job she really loves, however the boss is a complete rear end in a top hat. Most of the stuff is just general terrible human being stuff and not terrible boss stuff, however he's introduced a new rule where family members of staff can't enter the shop at all. She doesn't have a car and sometimes relies on family to pick her up and last time that happened her sister just came in to say, "I've got to do some shopping so meet me next door" which caused her boss to yell at and threaten to fire her.

She regretfully doesn't want to join a union because she's pretty certain that in that work place it'll be more trouble than its worth, so is there anything she can anonymously do while she waits for another job in the industry to open up? Is that even a rule they can legally make (it is Queensland)

Sounds like discrimination to me but I could be very wrong. It'd be worth calling Fair work or whoever handles 'this rear end in a top hat has banned Indigenous people from his pub' and telling them, neither of these entities is dumb enough to disclose the whistle-blower unless strictly necessary (ie Fair work australia can't get you your money without telling your boss who to pay).

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo that suicide statistic. :stare:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

hooman posted:

Holy poo poo that suicide statistic. :stare:

Yeah, that is... unsettling. You can fit the entire rest of the chart into the suicide statistic, and have enough left over to almost be able to do it again (you have to cut off the car accidents).

That's a typo, right? Surely?

EDIT: vv Yeah, I know, I did the math. That's ridiculous enough that I'm thinking 'surely they mistakenly added an extra digit when typing that'.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Sep 4, 2014

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, that is... unsettling. You can fit the entire rest of the chart into the suicide statistic, and have enough left over to almost be able to do it again.

Suicide - 22824
Every other statistic - 16403

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, that is... unsettling. You can fit the entire rest of the chart into the suicide statistic, and have enough left over to almost be able to do it again (you have to cut off the car accidents).

EDIT: vv Yeah, I know, I did the math. That's ridiculous enough that I'm thinking 'surely they mistakenly added an extra digit when typing that'.

Looks about right. Remember its over 10 years (if that makes it any better - it doesn't) and average over last 5 is around 2400 per year.

http://www.mindframe-media.info/for-media/reporting-suicide/facts-and-stats

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

It's over a decade, and it's choosing specific forms of death. Around 140-150k people die each year in total.

ABS posted:

KEY CHARACTERISTICSThere were 2,535 deaths from intentional self-harm in 2012, resulting in a ranking as the 14th leading cause of all deaths. Three-quarters (75.0%) of people who died by suicide were male, making suicide the 10th leading cause of death for males. Deaths due to suicide occurred at a rate of 11.0 per 100,000 population in 2012.

Suicide as proportion of total deaths

While suicide accounts for a relatively small proportion (1.7%) of all deaths in Australia, it accounts for a greater proportion of deaths from all causes within specific age groups (see graph below). For example, in 2012, over a quarter of deaths of males in the 20-24, 25-29 and 30-34 year age groups were due to suicide (28.7%, 26.5% and 27.5%, respectively). Similarly for females, suicide deaths comprise a higher proportion of total deaths in younger age groups compared with older age groups (32.6% of deaths of 15-19 year olds and 25.2% of deaths of 20-24 year olds).

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I thought it was common knowledge that suicide was really high. Outpaced only by heart disease and cancer IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Is the suicide rate increasing? Or are we just eliminating the things that used to kill young people so it appears as a higher percentage. (I assume it's a bit of both?)

• Locked thread