Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
Yeah the later released kits (early war Germans, Japanese, us marines) are even better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I'm just waiting until Italeri starts making their armor models. Then I'll have Italian armies in two scales :getin:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

YF19pilot posted:

I'm just waiting until Italeri starts making their armor models. Then I'll have Italian armies in two scales :getin:

At that point I'll start an Italian African front army. Aaanyway, let's crosspost from the oath thread!

Oath Complete!

Ze Panzers roll in, voom voom! One Sd. Kfz. 222 (ICM), one Panzer II (Tamiya).

A German soldier stays safe between these armoured behemoths for size comparison. These tiny slightly armoured clunkers ain't the Tiger tanks you've heard of!

German squad #1 (Warlord Games). A German WW2 squad, especially in the early war like this, would normally be like this: one LMG (MG34) with three crew, of which two are loaders. One NCO, that's the guy with the submachine gun. 6 riflemen with bolt action rifles. The single MG34 is about as deadly as the rest of the entire squad!

German early war squad #2.

I even got a game of Chain of Command in this month!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

lilljonas posted:

Yes, the early war Warlord Germans is a nice kit as well. Late war, slightly less so.

I will say this, it's hard to make anyone point their rifles in the direction their body is facing.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Apparently the cost of Flames of War is going up. The claim is that it's been 4 years since they last had to raise prices, but Australian prices already went up whenever Aetherworks took control of distribution. This will only continue to strangle an already dying scene in my area, I'm pretty glad I haven't bought anything in a while.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Plastic Soldier Company's still pretty cheap.

Inflation seems to hit the hobby industry in such a scatter shot way.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Cassa posted:

Plastic Soldier Company's still pretty cheap.

Inflation seems to hit the hobby industry in such a scatter shot way.

Yeah the neat thing with Flames is there's a check on Battlefront shittery in the form of WW2 being public domain, so even if they decide to go Maximum GW I can just not buy from them.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Forums Terrorist posted:

Yeah the neat thing with Flames is there's a check on Battlefront shittery in the form of WW2 being public domain, so even if they decide to go Maximum GW I can just not buy from them.

Really, the number of rulesets and model makers is one of the best things about historicals - you don't like 3rd edition WII game? well, just take your models and buy a different ruleset. Conversely, you love a game system but hate their models? well, its not like there are not a hundred other companies out there making models - a T-34 is a T-34!

Also, I'm not sure if I posted any of my 6mm French, so here is the contents of a Baccus starter box! (cross posted from the oath thread)

Le Mini Grande Battery

240 French Line Infantry, 16 to a base, 15 bases.

The Napoleonic French.

Its a little to cav heavy, but I've got extra infantry for both the French and British on the way, as well as more cav for the three based units (Hussars and Chasseurs) above - giving me ten bases of each plus command point markers.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Those are so clean and bright, they really look great en masse. Makes me want to play 6mm.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Those are so clean and bright, they really look great en masse. Makes me want to play 6mm.

I did just get a point for them in the judges - not bad for my second & third attempts at painting 6mm.
And you really should give it a go - that force there cost me £35 for the models!

Also, like most things that scale, they look better in person - those big photos are a terrible way to show them, seeing as even on the crappy work monitor I'm on here they are 2-3 times actual size!

A pack of 96 baccus soliders costs about £7, and on 40mm bases thats six bases.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Leo Showers posted:

Apparently the cost of Flames of War is going up. The claim is that it's been 4 years since they last had to raise prices, but Australian prices already went up whenever Aetherworks took control of distribution. This will only continue to strangle an already dying scene in my area, I'm pretty glad I haven't bought anything in a while.

Australia is in some zone where everything costs 1000% more than it does anywhere else though.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Forums Terrorist posted:

I love being able to purchase lots of 28mm WWII stuff from tons of companies

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Looks like Bolt Action's Tank War is out today.

Not sure how I feel about that, I don't think this is the ruleset I'd use for big tank battles (I mean I already have FoW).

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Colonial Air Force posted:

Looks like Bolt Action's Tank War is out today.

Not sure how I feel about that, I don't think this is the ruleset I'd use for big tank battles (I mean I already have FoW).

But it's much easier to show how much bigger a Tiger II is to a Leman Russ when they're both the same scale. Also, 40k vs. WWII fan supplement :v:

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

YF19pilot posted:

But it's much easier to show how much bigger a Tiger II is to a Leman Russ when they're both the same scale. Also, 40k vs. WWII fan supplement :v:

I just don't see the point of playing a tank game at scales smaller than 1/20 is. My biggest concern is finding enough separate RF channels for controlling 5-6 separate squadrons. Because, obviously, you don't want to accidentally reposition your king tigers while you're flanking with your jagdpanthers. I mean. Heh. FAUX PAS, amirite?

Edit: woops, wrong video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo4-UEtAgSA

One of the biggest benefits is doing away with die-rolling, and just shooting your opponent with airsoft pellets.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Its not a super great scale for tanks but a lot of bros won't look at a 15mm game.

I posted up some thoughts on my planning and research for my Fallschirmjager army for BA. Check it out

http://freshcoastgaming.blogspot.com/2014/09/regiments-of-renown-month.html?m=1

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

muggins posted:

Its not a super great scale for tanks but a lot of bros won't look at a 15mm game.

I posted up some thoughts on my planning and research for my Fallschirmjager army for BA. Check it out

http://freshcoastgaming.blogspot.com/2014/09/regiments-of-renown-month.html?m=1

Yeah, that was what kept my college gaming group out of FoW (I bought the old Open Fire! set back in '06 or '07, but never did much with it until I moved to my current locale in '10.) A lot of people think that anything under 28mm means painting up hundreds of thousands of tiny mans. That and something about 'painting my army my way instead of paint by numbers.' Especially ironic when these people are fielding horde armies or painting up specific codex marines/Tau/what have you.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
I wouldn't want to play a big tank horde in anything larger than 10mm personally. If you are playing on a 6x4 table you need room to manoeuvre and avoid the awful tanks rammed 'hub cap to hub cap' look. A skirmish with one or two tanks would be fine at. 28 mm but I ain't sure Bolt Action is the rule set for it.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Hola - I'm going to be demonstrating airbrusing at an upcoming wargames convention in the UK and need some help picking some models to paint, so hopefully some of you guys can point me in the right direction? I've got a ton of 40K models I can do but the convention is more for historical wargaming, so I need something more appropriate than daemons and stuff. I've got a ton of modern 6mm armor and a few buildings I can paint at the show, but I want to pick up some larger stuff, around 15mm I think which is a nice middle ground between the 6mm modern and 28mm 40K stuff I have. I figure I may as well get something I'll want to play, so either American or German WW2 I guess.

Stupid question maybe, but I can get 15mm American WW2 from any model company and it'll be playable in FoW, Blitzkrieg Commander and other systems, right? No qualms from grognards about whatever? I'm planning to pick up maybe a few buildings, some armor and a few squads, just to have something to do and demonstrate on.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

krushgroove posted:

Hola - I'm going to be demonstrating airbrusing at an upcoming wargames convention in the UK and need some help picking some models to paint, so hopefully some of you guys can point me in the right direction? I've got a ton of 40K models I can do but the convention is more for historical wargaming, so I need something more appropriate than daemons and stuff. I've got a ton of modern 6mm armor and a few buildings I can paint at the show, but I want to pick up some larger stuff, around 15mm I think which is a nice middle ground between the 6mm modern and 28mm 40K stuff I have. I figure I may as well get something I'll want to play, so either American or German WW2 I guess.

Stupid question maybe, but I can get 15mm American WW2 from any model company and it'll be playable in FoW, Blitzkrieg Commander and other systems, right? No qualms from grognards about whatever? I'm planning to pick up maybe a few buildings, some armor and a few squads, just to have something to do and demonstrate on.

Yup, a 15mm Sherman is a 15mm Sherman, the only difference really is that some companies are more accurate, some have more easily built kits, and some have more affordable kits, and most people rate one or two of those points more highly.

Serotonin posted:

I wouldn't want to play a big tank horde in anything larger than 10mm personally. If you are playing on a 6x4 table you need room to manoeuvre and avoid the awful tanks rammed 'hub cap to hub cap' look. A skirmish with one or two tanks would be fine at. 28 mm but I ain't sure Bolt Action is the rule set for it.

We're planning to eventually try pitting an early war German armoured platoon against a Russian platoon in Chain of Command, but I think that is the upper limit of what we'll try in armoured warfare in 28mm. We're not limited to a 6'x4' table either, which helps. It also helps that the command rules in Chain of Command seem to be able to create some hilarious moments of lack of coordination between tanks, especially in terrain that blocks line of siggt, and even worse for Russian tanks without radios. Hopefully this will remove some of the predictability of just putting a bunch of tanks on the board edge and see who can shoot the opposing tanks first. Instead we will have scared tank drivers huddling behind houses, wondering where the hell their commander went and why there is a rumbling noise on the other side of that fence over there.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Sep 6, 2014

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

krushgroove posted:

I'd do with demoing on one of the Plastic Soldier Company boxes of five tanks, the Panzer IVs would be a good idea. It lets you demonstrate how quickly you can get through sizable chunks of a force.

All 15mm is good for Fow, Blitzkrieg commander etc. The only issues are infantry basing, and I keep considering basing for FoW but playing BzC with them and don't think there would be an issue.

American infantry are pretty cheap in plastic from being in the FoW starter, and a couple of boxes of 15mm Shermans or halftracks etc will give you a reasonable starting point.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Thundercloud posted:

All 15mm is good for Fow, Blitzkrieg commander etc. The only issues are infantry basing, and I keep considering basing for FoW but playing BzC with them and don't think there would be an issue.

I've played Blitzkrieg Commander with FoW bases, worked seamlessly. Also seconding the idea of getting a bunch of Plastic Soldier Company tank boxes and using them for demoing. If you want to suit your crowd you could ask anyone if they have an unbuilt or unpainted 28mm/1/48 scale tank or vehicle, and use that for demoing as well. I think it will look a lot better to show airbrushing camo etc. on a real world tank than a 40K tank, especially for people who are more into historicals.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Sep 6, 2014

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Cool - so if I go for the PSC Panzer IV box and the M4A3 Shermans, does that also give me a base for building up a pair of balanced, period-appropriate opposing forces?

For infantry, I found these on the PSC site:
15mm WW2 Late War German Infantry 1943-45
£18.50
130 hard plastic 15mm miniatures depicting WW2 Late War German Infantry 1943-45 as follows:
10 junior officers/NCOs
90 grenadiers
15 light machine gun teams

and

15mm WW2 Late War US Infantry 1944-45
£18.50
145 hard plastic miniatures including 5 bazooka teams and good mix of riflemen, BARs and command figures. Options for Thompson SMGs and carbines. There are even some snipers with Springfield rifles. A US rifle company in a box.

and I'll probably get some 15mm buildings to round out a starter set.

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Sep 6, 2014

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

lilljonas posted:

We're planning to eventually try pitting an early war German armoured platoon against a Russian platoon in Chain of Command, but I think that is the upper limit of what we'll try in armoured warfare in 28mm. We're not limited to a 6'x4' table either, which helps. It also helps that the command rules in Chain of Command seem to be able to create some hilarious moments of lack of coordination between tanks, especially in terrain that blocks line of siggt, and even worse for Russian tanks without radios. Hopefully this will remove some of the predictability of just putting a bunch of tanks on the board edge and see who can shoot the opposing tanks first. Instead we will have scared tank drivers huddling behind houses, wondering where the hell their commander went and why there is a rumbling noise on the other side of that fence over there.

Yeah i was thinking it might work with Chain of Command on a bigger table with how the rule set works out. Let us know how you get on, would ove a battle report.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

lilljonas posted:

I've played Blitzkrieg Commander with FoW bases, worked seamlessly. Also seconding the idea of getting a bunch of Plastic Soldier Company tank boxes and using them for demoing. If you want to suit your crowd you could ask anyone if they have an unbuilt or unpainted 28mm/1/48 scale tank or vehicle, and use that for demoing as well. I think it will look a lot better to show airbrushing camo etc. on a real world tank than a 40K tank, especially for people who are more into historicals.

Yeah Ive played BKC with FoW stuff too, in fact most of the BKC players I know outside of my immediate gaming group are all ex FoW players who have found a new ruleset they can use their armies with. It works fine although I still think you need a big old table for 15mm BKC if you are going armour heavy.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

krushgroove posted:

Cool - so if I go for the PSC Panzer IV box and the M4A3 Shermans, does that also give me a base for building up a pair of balanced, period-appropriate opposing forces?

£18.50
130 hard plastic 15mm miniatures depicting WW2 Late War German Infantry 1943-45 as follows:
10 junior officers/NCOs
90 grenadiers

and

£18.50
145 hard plastic miniatures including 5 bazooka teams and good mix of riflemen, BARs and command figures. Options for Thompson SMGs and carbines. There are even some snipers with Springfield rifles. A US rifle company in a box.

If you search back in the thread either under my name or my alt Jinjin Bemar, you will see some WIP and finished shots of a load of PSC tanks and figures at 15mm scale I did for an aborted 15mm I Aint Been Shot Mum project. I think they were excellent for the money, more so the tanks, but the infantry painted up fine.

EDIT- false memory syndrome, I cant find any pics of the finished paint jobs, despite being sure I posted them! Theres a quick review and some unpainted shots there. Id certainly recommend them as a cheap way into 15mm.

Serotonin fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Sep 6, 2014

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Serotonin posted:

Yeah Ive played BKC with FoW stuff too, in fact most of the BKC players I know outside of my immediate gaming group are all ex FoW players who have found a new ruleset they can use their armies with. It works fine although I still think you need a big old table for 15mm BKC if you are going armour heavy.

As someone with a huge Tankovy army in FoW, I can tell you 6x4 is not big enough at 15mm certainly. I feel like I end up running my tanks like 18th C. soldiers, lined up shoulder-to shoulder, firing together (especially with hen and chicks).

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

krushgroove posted:

£18.50
10 junior officers/NCOs
90 grenadiers

and

£18.50

For any given generic Wermacht/Heer force vs. US force, that sounds like it'd be a decent match up. Should be able to make two legal FoW forces out of each of those infantry boxes plus a platoon of tank support. If you're basing for FoW, take note that US Infantry is 4 men to a base, LW Gren squads are a half/half mix of 4 men/base and 5 men/base. If you are absolutely concerned about accuracy, LW Grens in FoW have a "correct" way of setting them up, but if anyone seriously complains, spraying deodorant in their general direction should dispel the foul poo poo-demon.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Colonial Air Force posted:

As someone with a huge Tankovy army in FoW, I can tell you 6x4 is not big enough at 15mm certainly. I feel like I end up running my tanks like 18th C. soldiers, lined up shoulder-to shoulder, firing together (especially with hen and chicks).

Yeah when you consider German doctrine was about 120 yards between each tank during combat maneuvers, a lot of wargame tables look a tad ridiculous when you see, as you put it, formations that look like Napoleonic line formations, with tanks.

its one of the reasons why I keep looking at even my 10mm forces for BKC and wondering about going 3mm. In BKC theres an abstraction where each tank base is actually a platoon/squad, and I keep having an urge to model each base with 3 or 4 3mm tanks on them in formation.
Saying that I can never see a BKC game that way and to me, it always feels like 1 tank base = 1 tank.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

krushgroove posted:

£18.50
10 junior officers/NCOs
90 grenadiers

and

£18.50

I bought the PSC US infantry box last year, and they're not kidding about "A company in a box". There's enough infantrymen a full three-platoon, 9 rifles per platoon infantry company out of Overlord or Devil's Charge, plus snipers and some change. The only downside is that it doesn't come with any mortars, MGs or bases, but the PSC base set isn't that expensive and they came out with a heavy weapon set last November. There's a ton of stuff between the two boxes, and if you decide to get all three boxes (Rifle, heavy weapon, and M4A3), you could easily field a near 2000 point list. Not a bad deal, by any measure.

Edit- I made up a list of all the stuff you can take between the three boxes, minus the four .50 Cal HMGs I have no idea where to stick in. It's not a very good list, and there's very little chance you'd use it all at once, but it does a good job of showcasing the flexibility you have in building a list with the stuff you get.

quote:

US Rifle CompanyInfantry Company, 2nd Infantry, from Devils Charge, page 48
Compulsory Rifle Company HQ (p.49) - CinC SMG, 2iC SMG (35 pts)
- 3x Sniper (150 pts)

Compulsory Rifle Platoon with Hero (p.49) - Command Rifle, 9x Rifle, Bazooka (200 pts)
- Replace Command Rifle with Command SMG (5 pts)

Compulsory Rifle Platoon (p.49) - Command Rifle, 9x Rifle, Bazooka (200 pts)

Rifle Platoon (p.49) - Command Rifle, 9x Rifle, Bazooka (200 pts)

Weapons Platoon (p.50) - Command Carbine, 3x M2 60mm mortar, 4x M1919 LMG (160 pts)

Machine Gun Platoon (p.50) - Command Carbine, 4x M1917 HMG (130 pts)

Mortar Platoon (p.51) - Command Carbine, 4x M1 81mm mortar (110 pts)

Anti-tank Platoon (p.51) - Command Carbine, 3x Bazooka (60 pts)
- 3x Bazooka (only if 3 guns) (60 pts)

Veteran Tank Platoon (p.68) - Command M4A3 (76mm) Sherman, 4x M4A3 (76mm) Sherman (690 pts)

Veteran Chemical Mortar Platoon (p.55) - Command Carbine, Observer Carbine, 4x 4.2in Chemical mortar (160 pts)

2170 Points, 9 Platoons

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Sep 6, 2014

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
I think people play FoW at too high a points level as a bad habit left over from 40k.

1500pts is what the designers of FoW consider the sweet spot and its for good reason. It forces you to make some hard choices about what is in your list and (unless playing on a stupid Endor/Stalingrad type map) leaves plenty of room on the table for maneuver.

The only criticism of it (Other than "I WANT TO FIELD 10 KTS A BLOO BLOO") is that its hard to build a tank list at that points level. It's not, just need to break out of that cycle of "I need more X so the points need to go up but then that means I'll see more Y so I need more X..." that people get into. I've fielded 3 and even 2 strong medium tank platoons (the worst FoW Heresy!!) at even lower points levels and done fine.

humannature
Apr 28, 2010

I was a vegan Hibernian Warden, but I gave that up to join the flesh-eating Chaotic Socialist Space Republic.
As far as Plastic Soldier Company infantry goes, I love their new style infantry and dislike their old style. I bought a box of PSC Soviet Infantry and I really didn't like it too much. Lots of value for your money, but I felt the details were sparse and the poses kinda sucked. I bought their late war UK infantry box and that one is awesome. If you're a rivet counter, I hear the webbing on the American Infantry isn't accurate.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Serotonin posted:

Yeah when you consider German doctrine was about 120 yards between each tank during combat maneuvers, a lot of wargame tables look a tad ridiculous when you see, as you put it, formations that look like Napoleonic line formations, with tanks.

its one of the reasons why I keep looking at even my 10mm forces for BKC and wondering about going 3mm. In BKC theres an abstraction where each tank base is actually a platoon/squad, and I keep having an urge to model each base with 3 or 4 3mm tanks on them in formation.
Saying that I can never see a BKC game that way and to me, it always feels like 1 tank base = 1 tank.

Thinking about it, I actually had the same problem running an infantry list, but that's probably more accurate with the Red Army anyway.

Not getting through? Add more dudes!

Numlock posted:

I think people play FoW at too high a points level as a bad habit left over from 40k.

1500pts is what the designers of FoW consider the sweet spot and its for good reason. It forces you to make some hard choices about what is in your list and (unless playing on a stupid Endor/Stalingrad type map) leaves plenty of room on the table for maneuver.

The only criticism of it (Other than "I WANT TO FIELD 10 KTS A BLOO BLOO") is that its hard to build a tank list at that points level. It's not, just need to break out of that cycle of "I need more X so the points need to go up but then that means I'll see more Y so I need more X..." that people get into. I've fielded 3 and even 2 strong medium tank platoons (the worst FoW Heresy!!) at even lower points levels and done fine.

That's definitely a big thing, and I suspect Bolt Action is the same way (they even state in the book 1000-1500 is ideal with their rules). Probably that case for LOTS of games, really.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
OK, great stuff, I think my friend is leaning towards FOW, I'm not too bothered but since I picked up Cold War Commander a while back I'd like to stick with the same system and get Blitzkrieg Commander. I got the US infantry company box and the box of 5 M4A3s, and suggested he get the Panzer IV set and German infantry box. What sort of base size should I look at for the infantry? I have lots of styrene sheet I can use.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Barbarossa is finally officially official for FoW. Also, EW sale, books are all discounted and all EW products are buy 2 get 1 free (including books). Trying my hardest not to buy a poo poo ton of stuff right now.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
So...what's EW?

Also, still looking for what base size I should make for the 15mm infantry, I can cut styrene sheets up to whatever size.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

krushgroove posted:

So...what's EW?

Also, still looking for what base size I should make for the 15mm infantry, I can cut styrene sheets up to whatever size.

EW is Early War.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Their site has been down since you said that. :(

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

krushgroove posted:

So...what's EW?

Sorry, it's the FoW arbitrary divisions of WWII. EW = Early War 1939-1941, MW = Mid War 1942-1943, LW = Late War 1944-1945

I meant to do this when you first asked, but have been getting caught up in packing and getting ready for my move, so I apologize:
Small base is 1" x 1.25" and is used for teams of 1-3 men (your command teams, bazooka teams, snipers).
Medium base is 1.25" x 2" or two small bases stuck along the long edge, used for teams of 4-5 men, or man-packed and light guns.
Large base is 2" x 2.5" or two Medium bases stuck along the long edge, used for gun teams with 5+ crew, heavy and immobile guns.
General rule of thumb is to place models on to the smallest base that the model will fit on, so even though a PaK40 is allowed to be on a Medium base, they're generally too big and are put onto a Large base. Vehicles do not have to be based, and those that are modelled with a base usually vary from these sizes, but in general, jeeps and the like are on a small base, trucks and half-tracks on a medium base. Motorcycle teams, with very few exceptions, are put on large bases, usually two motorcycles to a base (this includes the goofy new German motorcycle teams that drive kubelwagens instead of motorcycles, two kubels to a large base).
Tanks are not required to be based, though many third party models come with the bases modeled onto the tanks.

moths posted:

Their site has been down since you said that. :(

Holy poo poo, it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

I've had a pretty busy month, but I managed to get a few more Perry's done for my AWI collection.

Continental Artillery

Informal Brits for my buddy (using the plastic continental set)

French and Continental light infantry (with more on the way)

Dirt Worshipper fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Sep 11, 2014