Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Well, The Incredible Hulk movie with Ed Norton certainly played up the "my life is lovely because of the Hulk" angle and ends with him learning to control it to some degree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Have you considered The Avengers movie? Bruce Banner is a fairly major character in that, and there's a lot to do with how other characters fear him because he might lose his temper and Hulk out at any moment.

Banner turns into the Hulk twice in the movie. Once when he loses control of himself and harms his friends and teammates, and once when he has mastered his anger and is able to use the Hulk to help in a giant battle sequence.

It's also just a really fun movie to watch while eating some popcorn!

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Sarchasm posted:

Have you considered The Avengers movie? Bruce Banner is a fairly major character in that, and there's a lot to do with how other characters fear him because he might lose his temper and Hulk out at any moment.

Banner turns into the Hulk twice in the movie. Once when he loses control of himself and harms his friends and teammates, and once when he has mastered his anger and is able to use the Hulk to help in a giant battle sequence.

It's also just a really fun movie to watch while eating some popcorn!

I have considered The Avengers, I just worry about the focus. I can only spend about an hour or so with each client, each week. And though I know Bruce Banner is featured, he's not necessarily the driving force of the whole thing.

This is a kid who really likes movies and if I try and break it up and cherry pick, he'll get pissed.

I'm still also interested in specific issues of the comic that we can look at.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
What was that comic with Bruce and Hulk all alone on a planet (was it a What If? related to World War Hulk)? I remember them dividing the planet in half and Hulk protecting Bruce in his sleep, but not much else and thus why I'm being vague.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Hulk: The End is probably too much of a downer for your purposes, but it's a standalone about a future where the Hulk is the only person left alive left, his anger basically pointless, Banner trapped inside.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I recommend away from Planet Hulk, personally, since it plays up this angle where Banner might be more of a monster than Hulk, which is counter to your purposes.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The Edward Norton film is pretty dour. I'd recommend the Ang Lee one over it for a kid. At least it's bright and visually inventive, even if it did go way over the top with the odd "comic book" transitions.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 29, 2014

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The Ang Lee Hulk is great, and deals with his rage being a problem, but definitely watch it yourself first. A huge theme of the movie is the fact that Bruce Banner's dad was incredibly abusive. I have no idea what the history of this kid is and you probably can't share much more, but it's definitely something to be aware of.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Is there stuff worth reading that talks about Captain America's role as like the moral center of the universe to so many people? What that means? What weight it is on him? It doesn't have to be a Cap comic. It's just interesting to me that every time he comes up he's either an authoritative voice on who can be trusted, or the personification of someone's conscience, or this holy ideal of what a hero should be, etc etc. Even some truly awful bastards like Frank Castle and Mark Spector seem to put him on a pedestal.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Is there stuff worth reading that talks about Captain America's role as like the moral center of the universe to so many people? What that means? What weight it is on him? It doesn't have to be a Cap comic. It's just interesting to me that every time he comes up he's either an authoritative voice on who can be trusted, or the personification of someone's conscience, or this holy ideal of what a hero should be, etc etc. Even some truly awful bastards like Frank Castle and Mark Spector seem to put him on a pedestal.

There's a little bit of that when he appears during the "Born Again" storyline in Daredevil.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Almost everything he's in?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It comes up a lot in Brubaker's run, which you should read anyways

Basically if the question is ever "Is there a Cap run that [DOES GOOD THING]" the answer is going to be the Bru run

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Aug 30, 2014

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
I read the Hulk suggestions earlier, but any recommendations of good Hulk stuff for my 9-year-old nephew? He loves the Hulk, and I've been getting him Marvel Adventures Hulk collections for years, but he's a pretty mature, smart kid, and I think he can definitely handle something more sophisticated. (He's reading LotR on his own) I took him to a comic book store for the first time, and he was interested in the new Waid Hulk, but I don't know anything about it.

And same question goes for me, since I've never read any Hulk, and probably should.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I didn't really like Waid's Hulk.

You should check out Planet Hulk though, it's brilliant.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

irlZaphod posted:

I didn't really like Waid's Hulk.

You should check out Planet Hulk though, it's brilliant.

I completely agree with these opinions.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Brocktoon posted:

I read the Hulk suggestions earlier, but any recommendations of good Hulk stuff for my 9-year-old nephew? He loves the Hulk, and I've been getting him Marvel Adventures Hulk collections for years, but he's a pretty mature, smart kid, and I think he can definitely handle something more sophisticated. (He's reading LotR on his own) I took him to a comic book store for the first time, and he was interested in the new Waid Hulk, but I don't know anything about it.

And same question goes for me, since I've never read any Hulk, and probably should.

I think Waid's Hulk was really good for the first couple arcs. Maybe like a trade or two of it.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Senor Candle posted:

I think Waid's Hulk was really good for the first couple arcs. Maybe like a trade or two of it.

Hasn't there been only one arc so far? (Who Shot Bruce Banner?)

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Brocktoon posted:

Hasn't there been only one arc so far? (Who Shot Bruce Banner?)

That was the relaunch. He actually starts here https://www.comixology.com/Indestructible-Hulk/comics-series/9005 and of the 4 trades listed there I think only the 3rd one is really lacking.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Bought the first three at a con, and I really enjoyed the first one (Agent of SHIELD). Second (Thor team up) was okay. Haven't read the third (Smash Time), but I know Hulk punches a T-Rex.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I am not sure if this is the right place to ask, so please advise.

I am trying to remember the name of an older comic.

It was black and white interior with a color cover. The story featured a cyberpunk city underground being explored by an adolescent, but instead of cyberware there was 'bio ware' ie genetically engineered clones were grown industrially for spare parts.

Other details
-this comic came out some time after 2001 I think
-there were at least 3 issues
-there was a lot of use of shadows in the panels
-I distinctly remember panels showing a bioware Bazzar, featuring bodies with barcodes on their foreheads suspended with tubes in their backs.

This is a long shot so thank you.

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
I just finished reading the Joker: Death in the Family collection, and it's fun reading about all the different heroes in Batman Inc. coming up against themselves, their personal stuff, embodied by the Joker's chaos and crimes, and trying to understand where they've come from and where they're going.

Would that collection or anthology serve as a good jumping off point into modern Batman trades or series or whatever? It seems like it has a lot of the elements of nu-52 Batman (Barb as Batgirl, Damien as Robin, Red Hood/Red Robin running around, Joker w/o a face, etc.) Having just read it, it made me curious about the modern stuff. If it's not, then I guess the better alternative would be interesting Joker v. Whoever stories, putting aside stuff like The Killing Joke, or maybe even just good stories or arcs where characters have to confront the moral implication or endgame of what they're doing ("You're making Batman weaker! No I'm not! You don't need these people! But I do!") Like the Joker does to basically everybody in the Death of the Family stuff.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I am a huge fan of Jeff Lemire and how is his Justice League Dark and the following writer?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I was pretty disappointed in his run. I think JLUnited is a much better team book from him.
I think J.M.Dematteis did well with Phantom Stranger, but I still don't care for JLD under him, especially with the Blight crossover.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Sep 2, 2014

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I really like Ben Grimm but the Fantastic Four's wacky outer-space time traveling whatsit isn't really for me and I don't really dig the X-hundredth iteration of "Reed Richards is a bad husband."

Is there stuff worth reading where Thing just stomps the poo poo out of earthbound mooks and/or is just more centered around his personality and not the other members of the FF?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Is there stuff worth reading where Thing just stomps the poo poo out of earthbound mooks and/or is just more centered around his personality and not the other members of the FF?

The entire run of Marvel Two-in-One was the Thing teaming up with another superhero every month.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Sweet. I was looking for that on Unlimited to find the one vs. Champion but didn't have any luck. Is it on there? Their categorization is kind of butt.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Sweet. I was looking for that on Unlimited to find the one vs. Champion but didn't have any luck. Is it on there? Their categorization is kind of butt.

It was in Marvel Two-In-One Annual #7.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I really like Ben Grimm but the Fantastic Four's wacky outer-space time traveling whatsit isn't really for me and I don't really dig the X-hundredth iteration of "Reed Richards is a bad husband."

Dan Slott wrote a Thing ongoing-but-became-a-miniseries that was decent.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

prefect posted:

It was in Marvel Two-In-One Annual #7.

Yeah I mean I had figured that out. I meant I was having trouble finding that in Unlimited because who knows if they have it/how they categorize it?

Endless Mike posted:

Dan Slott wrote a Thing ongoing-but-became-a-miniseries that was decent.

Sweet, I'll check it out.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
When I was a teen I remember reading the series called Black Summer, which had some kind of an incredibly provocative/offensive premise of a super hero killing the U.S. President for his war crimes in Afganistan or something. After that everything goes to poo poo. I don't remember anything about it and I was too young to understand if it raised good or bad points. I'm 23 now, don't read comics, a bit manga though, so is that series worth re-checking out or is it gonna be painful? I mean the premise is what it is.

Also if you would recommend comics to a non-comic book person, what would you recommend? I recently tried to read Watchem an V for Vendetta, but it was just grimdark edgy oh-so-smart bullshit to me. Loved the Watchmen movie though.

Also is there any good articles or something that would explain why Batman would not realistically be able to protect Gotham and lower the criminality and whatnot? I'm kinda obsessed by the topic.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

ManOfTheYear posted:

Also if you would recommend comics to a non-comic book person, what would you recommend? I recently tried to read Watchem an V for Vendetta, but it was just grimdark edgy oh-so-smart bullshit to me. Loved the Watchmen movie though.

There's a lot of great comics from superheroes to horror to comedy to historical fiction to everything else. What kinds of books/movies/manga do you like? Otherwise, people will just start spitting out their favorites at you.

(Watchmen may be considered one of the best comics ever, but it's not something I would recommend to new readers as it relies too much on an understanding of the superhero conventions that it is subverting.)

EDIT: I haven't read Black Summer, but it is written by Warren Ellis, who is generally considered a good writer, so probably worth checking out. Looks like it was put out along with a bunch of other series from Avatar Press and I wasn't exactly impressed by his output for them. I do have a bunch of his other stuff that I could recommend depending on what your tastes are.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 7, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

ManOfTheYear posted:

Maybe switch it up and try something a lot brighter and optimistic, but still great, like Grant Morrison's All-Star Superman or the new Ms. Marvel.

Ms. Marvel.

Or go with the dark, gritty tone, but in a book that has fun with it, like Jason Aaron's Thor God of Thunder, Dial H or Manhattan Projects.

Thor GOT

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Sep 8, 2014

Escher
Dec 22, 2005

If only...
I am just getting into comics again, after a long hiatus, mostly thanks to how awesome digital comics are.

I am looking for good, stand-alone and complete (or nearly complete) series. Y the last man is a good example of a completed series I've really liked. Huge bonus points if the series ends really well.

I think Fables might qualify, being almost done. I used to love fables, but probably haven't read an issue since the 60s. I've heard very troubling things about its sustained quality. Does fables remain good?

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Escher posted:

I think Fables might qualify, being almost done. I used to love fables, but probably haven't read an issue since the 60s. I've heard very troubling things about its sustained quality. Does fables remain good?

Nope nope nope nope nope nope not at all. You probably stopped reading about 15 issues before a huge drop in quality.

Do you have any specific genres that you really enjoy or are you just looking for general recommendations?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Might wanna check out Unwritten. I haven't kept up with it, so I'm not quite sure what's going on now (there's a new title?), but there's nine volumes so far.

Natural progression from Y is Saga, but that's currently running. There's three collections out, the fourth should be coming out in five months or so.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Uthor posted:

There's a lot of great comics from superheroes to horror to comedy to historical fiction to everything else. What kinds of books/movies/manga do you like? Otherwise, people will just start spitting out their favorites at you.

(Watchmen may be considered one of the best comics ever, but it's not something I would recommend to new readers as it relies too much on an understanding of the superhero conventions that it is subverting.)

Anything goes, if it's good it's good, I'm not stuck on any genre. Althought, I would love to read a really good superhero comic, especially one that would involve either none or very little of supernatural elements. Something how a real world Batman would function or something like that. As far as manga goes, I like some very specific ones, like Hinamatsuri, Azumanga Daioh, Yotsubato and All-Rounder Meguru.

Watchmen just felt a bit pretentious, like it was edgy to the point where you go "well now this is just silly." The movie had a lot of play with clolours and music and had very good acting, which stylized all the grittiness and violence and made it more cool in my book.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
In that case:

Hawkeye by Matt Fraction and David Aja
Daredevil by Frank Miller (at least his brilliant "Born Again" storyline), followed by Brian Michael Bendis' run. If you end up liking Bendis, Ed Brubaker's run follows directly from his, and then Mark Waid is the current writer, whose run has been excellent (but a lot lighter in tone than Miller, Bendis, and Brubaker).
Starman by James Robinson
Batman: Year One by Frank Miller
Batman: The Black Mirror by Scott Snyder (focusing on Dick Grayson as Batman rather than Bruce Wayne)
Catwoman by Ed Brubaker

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

ManOfTheYear posted:

Watchmen just felt a bit pretentious, like it was edgy to the point where you go "well now this is just silly."
I would love to get some specifics on this.

PS Watchmen still holds up as one of the greatest chunk'o'comics, period, with two creators at the top of their game, and I hope one day you take another eye to it.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Sep 8, 2014

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I honestly think Watchmen would read better if you've already read mainstream superhero comics for a while and started to notice the archetypes and other patterns in more conventional storytelling. I definitely wouldn't recommend it to a brand-new reader trying to get hooked on anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I enjoyed the recent Captain Marvel, or at least the first half of it, when Carol is time-traveling, punching dinosaurs, clubbing sharks with other sharks, and fighting giant shipwreck golems, in addition to the last issue about the kid who looks up to her. The series lost me when it got all outer-spacey and tied to all this stuff about the Kree where I'm unfamiliar and pretty much apathetic.

What might you recommend to someone who felt that way? Something bright, optimistc, inspirational, and not too much space opera? Bonus points if it's on Marvel Unlimited, but it doesn't need to be.