Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

PelvicNerve posted:

That was my experience with the series as well. I went from "awesome, Lost meets Runaways with a pinch of Buffy" to "this is getting old". Yet, I remember being very engrossed when I started reading the trades so I'm giving it a chance and picked all the issues on sale.

I'm hating that DC sale as it reminds me these dumb one-shot months tend to gently caress up my collecting as I never know if there's a point in reading them when I catch up on series. Between this and crossovers, picking DC trades can be confusing.

Also it reminds me there's one starting right now.

If it doesn't have the same creative team as the book I really like I usually just skip them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Those Bloom County books are really good. I like the additional commentary by Berk Breathed even though there isn't a lot of it. Cheap too. As a kid I loved penguins for some reason and I started reading that when it was still in the paper because of Opus.

Really glad I did.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Does the Star Trek Humble Bundle have comiXology codes?

I can't believe I'm doing the Steam/PC Games thing now in digital comics where if it's not on comiXology ugh just gently caress it.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

Syrinxx posted:

Does the Star Trek Humble Bundle have comiXology codes?

I can't believe I'm doing the Steam/PC Games thing now in digital comics where if it's not on comiXology ugh just gently caress it.

They're not, no. They give PDFs, EPUBs, MOBIs, and some CBZ comic format or something.

I get what you mean, though.

You can upload them to your Google Books cloud if you want (and are on Android). You can also access and manage your downloads of ebooks in the Humble Bundle App, but you will need a separate App to read them.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

PoshAlligator posted:

and some CBZ comic format or something

CBZ is just a zip file full of jpgs with the extension changed. You can rename it to .zip and extract all the images if you'd like.

I'm okay dealing with the files as that's what I do with my mp3s anyway, but I need something like Google Music to transfer to my tablet. I've tried some things that just didn't work out, so I stick with transferring things one at a time trough Dropbox. Though OneDrive suddenly got cheaper and can handle larger files, so I might migrate there.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Comixology has Greg Rucka's Queen & Country and Stumptown on sale until the 11th. I got Q&C volume one not long ago literally for pennies when Comixology had an anniversery celebration or something going and it's pretty good. Stumptown sounds OK too.

Tigs
Sep 22, 2004

Uthor posted:

I'm okay dealing with the files as that's what I do with my mp3s anyway, but I need something like Google Music to transfer to my tablet. I've tried some things that just didn't work out, so I stick with transferring things one at a time trough Dropbox. Though OneDrive suddenly got cheaper and can handle larger files, so I might migrate there.

I use BitTorrent Sync for that sort of thing. http://getsync.com

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Tigs posted:

I use BitTorrent Sync for that sort of thing. http://getsync.com

I have them on there currently, but uninstalled the app from my tablet. I didn't set it up as a one way sync, so any time I removed a file from my tablet, it deleted it on all my computers. Was not happy with that.

But I am paying for 100 gb of space on OneDrive anyway, so I may as well use that and give myself access to the comics even if my computers are off.

I tried Google Books, but it had issues with longer files (like PDFs of big collections) and would occasionally error out on random issues with no explanation of what went wrong or option to retry. (Google Music had the same problem at first. Hey Google, add in the ability to retry uploading something if there is an error!)

I tried that comic software that organizes your collection and adds metadata, but it too would screw up with big files, turning one of my books from a couple hundred pages to like 12.

So, dumb file transfers work best for me. My collection isn't too unwieldy yet, so file explorer is good enough for now.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Good news everyone! Spider-man Chapter One is on sale at comixology! Avenging Spider-Man is also on sale, and how is it?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

bobkatt013 posted:

Good news everyone! Spider-man Chapter One is on sale at comixology! Avenging Spider-Man is also on sale, and how is it?
Avenging Spider-Man was always good to great. Just pick the team-up you like and buy the issue!

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Avenging is a bit of mess.

1-3 is a fun Wells/Joe Mad story.
4 is Wells stuck with Land though the story is fun.
5 is a good Wells/Yu doing a Cap/Spider-Man team up.
6 is one part of a crossover with Punisher and Daredevil
7 is a cute Immonens story about Peter and She Hulk fighting magic cats
8 is Slott Ends of the Earth nonsense.
9/10 is a Kelly Sue prelude to the Captain Marvel relaunch
11 is a good Pete and Aunt May story with some badly miscast Steve Dillon art.
12/13 is I want to say they gave some SNL guys a book to do what they want.
I didn't read 14/15 because Cullen Bunn.

The rest is Yost doing Spock stuff till it's cancelled so much so that the final Wells/Joe Mad story was moved over to Savage Wolverine.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Anime_Otaku posted:

Comixology has Greg Rucka's Queen & Country and Stumptown on sale until the 11th. I got Q&C volume one not long ago literally for pennies when Comixology had an anniversery celebration or something going and it's pretty good. Stumptown sounds OK too.

Stumptown's a pretty good detective story, but I found the case in the first volume more interesting than the second.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Space Fish posted:

The Samsung Galaxy Tab S makes my comics glow like radioactive candy. Is this considered "more accurate?"

(I still love you Nook HD+, but it's time for a real tablet now.)
Change the display mode from Cinema to basic. Cinema and Photo both trade off color accuracy for more saturation. Basic mode colors are fairly accurate.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
On the Dark Horse side, there's a huge BPRD Hell on Earth sale, which I recommend from what I've read.

Yeah, I'm trying to not be the comics equivalent of the Steam only guy I am on PC.

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

Uthor posted:

Stumptown's a pretty good detective story, but I found the case in the first volume more interesting than the second.

I would agree with this, but I still liked the second a lot, just because it tied the series into his Atticus Kodiak series of novels :v:

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Atomic Robo sale at Comixology!
https://www.comixology.com/Atomic-Robo-Sale/page/3409/?tid=B140909001_Red_5_Atomic_Robo_Sale

I have not read any Atomic Robo, basically. Some FCBD stuff. I am very excited.

The bundle is $25 for 40 issues (bundled between the 8 volumes). And by all accounts, these comics are good. Dang.

onefish fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Sep 9, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Dang, that's a great deal. Almost regret buying the eighth TPB just today.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Quick note: Get everything. Mainly, in addition to the bundle get all the Real Science Adventures and the Two-Fisted Tales digital only. It's all good.

Also, note Vol. 1 of Real Science Adventures is a collection of disperate stories, a few not relating to Robo at all, but is generally all well done. Vol. 2 dumps that presumably for logistics reasons, and to tell a story of Tesla and his merry band of endeavoring men of discipline.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

That is a good deal, and I'm interested, but I have to ask: Is there actual substance and good writing here, or is it mainly pulp action silliness?

Because I remember a long time ago someone posting a page that was such a hamfisted critique of modern comics that it turned me off from even trying the book.

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

That is a good deal, and I'm interested, but I have to ask: Is there actual substance and good writing here, or is it mainly pulp action silliness?

Because I remember a long time ago someone posting a page that was such a hamfisted critique of modern comics that it turned me off from even trying the book.

Well, I think the writing is good, but it certainly is mainly pulp action silliness. I quite enjoy the series and would highly recommend it, but I guess I'd stop just short of stating that it's a brilliant series that transcends it's premise.

They have a FCBD issue every year that should still be available for free on Comixology, so I would highly suggest you download one of those out to see if it's something for you. I feel pretty confident in saying that if you don't enjoy those issues you won't enjoy the series.

For what it's worth I don't really share the tastes of the Goon hive mind and generally don't see the appeal of the super wacky "aren't comics FUN!!" stuff that gets so much love here (which Robo pretty much falls under), but I still love it.

Edit: Since Comixology was so kind as to log me out while I was typing the above reply I went to the main series page to verify that the FCBD issues are still available, and for free. They don't show up among the sale items, but if you just follow the "View More in Series" link you can find those issues.

unl33t fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Sep 9, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

IF you missed any of the (many) previous sales they've had, comiXology posted this on their Tumblr:

quote:

Use the code “VALIANT” on Comixology today to get buy one, get one free on anything from Valiant!

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

So I'm trying to redeem a gift code for a year subscription to Marvel Unlimited and I currently have time left on my subscription. Trying to enter it in the site says they can't do that via the site and that I need to mail support. I mailed support 3 days ago and have heard nothing. Now I've been on hold on their support line for 30 minutes. Getting kinda grumpy, if I don't hear back from their support ever, do I need to go to Better Business Bureau or something?

Edit: The site's instructions:

"You are currently a Marvel Unlimited member. Please contact customer service by emailing onlinesupport@marvel.com to redeem your Marvel Unlimited gift."

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You realize the BBB is completely worthless, right?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

You realize the BBB is completely worthless, right?

Yeah, probably. I wonder what my options are of getting in touch with a god drat human and getting my $75? Maybe I can hire someone from craigslist who is local to walk in person and tell them their likely outsourced customer support is AWOL and literally not even replying to emails or phone calls..

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Last time I emailed Marvel about a bad digital download code, it took them like three weeks to get back to me, but they fixed everything when they did.

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

Uthor posted:

Last time I emailed Marvel about a bad digital download code, it took them like three weeks to get back to me, but they fixed everything when they did.

I emailed them back in July and still haven't received an answer :(

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

D&D sale. Anything good?
https://m.comixology.com/Dungeons-a...utm_content=IDW

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
John Rogers, the executive producer of Leverage, wrote Fell's Five—the most recent ongoing, clocking in at 16 issues—which is pretty much the definitive traditional fantasy comic and is highly recommended. It manages to capture the essence (and banter) of an actual game of D&D instead of just using its trappings or one of its settings. Many consider it a shame that its run was cut short, especially given the quality of the D&D comics that came in its wake. If you wish Rat Queens was better, you'll likely enjoy it. And if you instead love Rat Queens and its goofiness the way it is, you'll get some similar experiences here, albeit more grounded. Issue #1 opens in media res with the group in a burning orphanage orphanarium fending off orphan zombies, so if that doesn't hook you, I'm not sure what will.

Other than that, the Dark Sun miniseries is a good tour of one of D&D less traditional—and more interesting—settings, but doesn't provide much substance beyond that. The Eberron Annual is decent, from what I remember of it, and takes place in another one of the cooler settings. The Drizzt miniseries is probably skippable unless you are a huge Drizzt fan. The Forgotten Realms miniseries is written by Ed Greenwood, so if you're a fan of his work or the Forgotten Realms in general, you might want to pick it up. The first issue didn't catch my interest and was dialogue-heavy to the point of it being a detriment, so I took a pass on the rest of it. Cutter looked similar to Drizzt & FR—which I didn't particularly enjoy—from the preview of the first issue I saw on the Wizards of the Coast website back before it started, so I skipped it.

I can't speak for either of the 100-page spectaculars (which appear to be anthologies) or any of the Classics.

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

xK1 posted:

I emailed them back in July and still haven't received an answer :(

Tweet @marvelsupport. They're very responsive, and they will follow up on the unanswered emails. I emailed marvel three times about a billing issue. The twitter people resolved it (and credited me some money!) in a day.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I'm a big fan if the old DC D&D stuff but I might just be weird. I still re-read the novels to my great shame.

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."

This alone sold me, but then I bought and read through all three of his years today. Thanks for the write up!

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Ultimate F4 on sale. Millar! Carey! Bendis! Ellis! It doesn't quite measure up to the Hickman run in the main continutiy but there's a lot of fun stuff in this bundle.

https://www.comixology.com/Ultimate-Fantastic-Four/bundle/787

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

More importantly, use the code "COMIX" and almost everything fantagraphics is 50% off. I just bought all of Prison Pit.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

More importantly, use the code "COMIX" and almost everything fantagraphics is 50% off. I just bought all of Prison Pit.

I definitely thought I'd want more Fantagraphics stuff than I apparently do. Anything else particularly recommended?

I've already got them digitally, but the Jason comics I've read (Werewolves of Montpelier, Lost Cat, I killed Adolf Hitler) are included in the sale and all great, and while a little more expensive than most comics at a page-per-dollar ratio, almost certainly worth it at sale price.

edit: oh, I'm sure Love and Rockets will come up too, but I still might not be ready to commit to it.
edit2: thanks! VVV

onefish fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Sep 12, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

onefish posted:

I definitely thought I'd want more Fantagraphics stuff than I apparently do. Anything else particularly recommended?

I've already got them digitally, but the Jason comics I've read (Werewolves of Montpelier, Lost Cat, I killed Adolf Hitler) are included in the sale and all great, and while a little more expensive than most comics at a page-per-dollar ratio, almost certainly worth it at sale price.

edit: oh, I'm sure Love and Rockets will come up too, but I still might not be ready to commit to it.

Hip Hop Family Tree is incredibly awesome, although I feel like the giant-sized print version is the ideal way to read it. It's a little pricy, so maybe consult your local library.

Good Dog is a very sweet story about a good dog.

I somehow missed The Portable Frank when I initially scanned the sale, but what I've read of that is great surreal fun.

Prison Pit's dope if you like ultraviolence.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Am I forgetting or has DC been lacking in the sales department? It feels that its been weeks since they had one, while Marvel has atleast two a week.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Am I forgetting or has DC been lacking in the sales department? It feels that its been weeks since they had one, while Marvel has atleast two a week.

They just had one on all the #0 issues and villain variants. So they do have sales, it's just on crap no one wants to buy.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

They just had one on all the #0 issues and villain variants. So they do have sales, it's just on crap no one wants to buy.

Oh drat yeah that is right. Why not have a sale of Question or all Morrisons DC work? I half expect a sale on the 52 Constantine when the show premieres not Hellblazer which they should have.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Oh drat yeah that is right. Why not have a sale of Question or all Morrisons DC work? I half expect a sale on the 52 Constantine when the show premieres not Hellblazer which they should have.

I would be all over a sale on the Denny O'Neill Question run.

Either DC is not good at knowing what their audience wants or I'm just very different from the DC audience. Maybe both.

To be fair though, I did scoop a ton of stuff on that massive Batman sale they had, including the entire Kelley/Moench run, which I've been enjoying the hell out of, and The Batman of Arkham, which is maybe my new favorite Batman comic ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

DC is screwing up how to collect and market things? I am shocked!