Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
As I mentioned in my long post, the "hardcore gamer" identity originated with marginalized teenage males. From the earliest days of the FPS, they appealed to a core audience of young geeky males who felt empowered not just by being able to play as powerful characters, but by the online gaming, mod, and discussion communities that grew around the games. Even back in the Wolfenstein, Doom, and Duke3D days, a hypermasculine sort of over-the-top macho online style was emerging among "gamers"--perhaps influenced by Duke Nukem1 himself. The opposite of aggressive and hypermasculine IRL, the online gaming community gave young male gamers a place to live out the alpha-male fantasy, to be the hero, get the girl, and step on the other guy before he steps on you. As online multiplayer progressed to include first text then voice and now even video communication between players, this aggressive hypermasculine verbal style progressed with it. Players "threaten" to "rape" each other as a generic threat of player domination, as casually as they might threaten to blow up, decapitate, or do whatever sort of imaginary cathartic violence is possible in-game. In some games movements similar to tea-bagging are possible, so it was not uncommon in some gaming circles to tea-bag fragged opponents and even teammates in-game, as a sort of hazing (tea-bagging was once common hazing IRL at some boarding schools). But this stylized in-game culture stops at the keyboard or controller interface--just as with a game of D&D, gamers know the strict separation between online and offline personae better than others.

All the while, gamers were under attack by a parade of outsiders, contributing further to the development and entrenchment of this hypermasculine online culture and to a justifiable defensiveness. The Columbine massacre and other school shootings of the 90s and early 00s were initially blamed on gamers and FPS games. Despite the fact that Lara Croft is a strong female protagonist who drew females into FPS games, feminist crusaders lambasted her as sexist because of her proportions. Jack Thompson and others demonized gamers and tried to sue videogame companies. "Gamers," today better termed "hardcore gamers" to distinguish them from the larger gaming world which grew up around them, have always been under attack. No wonder then that Sarkeesian's shallow paint-by-numbers criticism is viewed not as legitimate, but as just another piling-on by outsiders who "don't get it," after nearly a quarter-century of gamer-abuse. The mainstream gaming press' apparent selling-out of hardcore gamers over the Sarkeesian and Quinn controversy is yet more of the same--taking a community that was marginalized only to have a huge industry grow up around and vindicate it, and stabbing it in the back over political correctness. Hardcore gamers use the same language about Sarkeesian as they used against men like Thompson, so to accuse them of sexism is just wrong. The language is harsh and I wish it hadn't been used, but yet it isn't a real threat and even Sarkeesian knows that. So we're left with a traditionally marginalized group being used by the mainstream as long as it was convenient, and then getting marginalized again because of SJW activism and PC hypersensitivity. And who abuses power over whom, again? ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

Cardboard Box A posted:

As I mentioned in my long post, the "hardcore gamer" identity originated with marginalized teenage males. From the earliest days of the FPS, they appealed to a core audience of young geeky males who felt empowered not just by being able to play as powerful characters, but by the online gaming, mod, and discussion communities that grew around the games. Even back in the Wolfenstein, Doom, and Duke3D days, a hypermasculine sort of over-the-top macho online style was emerging among "gamers"--perhaps influenced by Duke Nukem1 himself. The opposite of aggressive and hypermasculine IRL, the online gaming community gave young male gamers a place to live out the alpha-male fantasy, to be the hero, get the girl, and step on the other guy before he steps on you. As online multiplayer progressed to include first text then voice and now even video communication between players, this aggressive hypermasculine verbal style progressed with it. Players "threaten" to "rape" each other as a generic threat of player domination, as casually as they might threaten to blow up, decapitate, or do whatever sort of imaginary cathartic violence is possible in-game. In some games movements similar to tea-bagging are possible, so it was not uncommon in some gaming circles to tea-bag fragged opponents and even teammates in-game, as a sort of hazing (tea-bagging was once common hazing IRL at some boarding schools). But this stylized in-game culture stops at the keyboard or controller interface--just as with a game of D&D, gamers know the strict separation between online and offline personae better than others.

All the while, gamers were under attack by a parade of outsiders, contributing further to the development and entrenchment of this hypermasculine online culture and to a justifiable defensiveness. The Columbine massacre and other school shootings of the 90s and early 00s were initially blamed on gamers and FPS games. Despite the fact that Lara Croft is a strong female protagonist who drew females into FPS games, feminist crusaders lambasted her as sexist because of her proportions. Jack Thompson and others demonized gamers and tried to sue videogame companies. "Gamers," today better termed "hardcore gamers" to distinguish them from the larger gaming world which grew up around them, have always been under attack. No wonder then that Sarkeesian's shallow paint-by-numbers criticism is viewed not as legitimate, but as just another piling-on by outsiders who "don't get it," after nearly a quarter-century of gamer-abuse. The mainstream gaming press' apparent selling-out of hardcore gamers over the Sarkeesian and Quinn controversy is yet more of the same--taking a community that was marginalized only to have a huge industry grow up around and vindicate it, and stabbing it in the back over political correctness. Hardcore gamers use the same language about Sarkeesian as they used against men like Thompson, so to accuse them of sexism is just wrong. The language is harsh and I wish it hadn't been used, but yet it isn't a real threat and even Sarkeesian knows that. So we're left with a traditionally marginalized group being used by the mainstream as long as it was convenient, and then getting marginalized again because of SJW activism and PC hypersensitivity. And who abuses power over whom, again? ;)

did you mean to post this on your blog

vv------- yes yes but what would you rate it out of 10, dev bonuses are riding on that poo poo, it all goes to the metacritic score

Mattjpwns fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Sep 4, 2014

blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

I am Patrick Klepek's inflamed colon and believe me there was no conflict of interest when I reviewed Patrick Klepek's klepekhole as "firm but supple".

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
:nws: http://i.imgur.com/wjVVN3o.png :nws:

Forums Barber
Jan 5, 2011

Paladinus posted:

I think it's time to discuss mod integrity. I would say that mods shouldn't be moderators on the same forum where they post. Opinions?

the solution is to not read their posts but i think we know that's already happening

Forums Barber fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Sep 4, 2014

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Cardboard Box A posted:

*nods respectfully towards you*

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

coleman francis posted:

No gamers are mysogonists

Forgot a comma there, mate.

COBRARocky
Jul 28, 2013

Is Games being gay about this whole thing

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

Teron D Amun posted:

are gamers and gamer journalism dead yet

p. much

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yeah this thread reminds me of when I first registered and I keep waiting for someone to unironically call women vapid cunts

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Rad Tad posted:

i paid for my account here, am i allowed to make dick jokes?

Only about dicks you never saw.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Cardboard Box A posted:

source your quotes

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Cardboard Box A posted:

I agree.

Hitler420
Jun 11, 2014

by Ralp
After watching Sarkeesian's latest video, I was struck that no one had done the same thing with respect to tropes about men in video games.

I started thinking about it just a little -- men are generally strong, silent, mass murdering psychopaths in games. Or they're strong, glib, mass murdering psychopaths in games. Or they're criminals. Or they're terrorists. Or they're Nazis. Or they're mobsters. Or they're evil pirates. Or they're racists. Or they're genetically modified psychopaths. Or they're evil brown people. Or they're corrupt cops. Or they're soldiers engaged in a campaign of aggression/other evildoing. Or they're cops (and you're an anti-hero). Or they're just cannon fodder.

Thinking more specifically about the depictions of women in Red Dead Redemption, for example, I agree with Sarkeesian's observation that the murdered prostitutes in the street are essentially robbed of all agency and rendered powerless, dependent upon the player. What does that say about the depiction of men, then -- as a player, either I need to murder the pimp guy, or I need to stand by and watch the pimp guy murder the prostitute. Either way, men are depicted as horrific, brutal, murderous creatures, incapable of resolving problems through anything other than excessive violence. I'm not willing to go this far, but you could take this one small step further and argue the pimp guy was a victim of the society in which he is depicted, where a failure to enforce brutal rules leads to anarchy and chaos, so, even if he doesn't want to, he's forced into this role for the greater good. Hell, you could say the same of the player -- in fact, Red Dead pretty clearly does say that about the player. Marsden is , for the most part, a flawed man, trying to be good(ish), in a whole series of bad situations.

What it did make me think of is how limited games are at this point as a storytelling medium. There are relatively few shades of grey even in complex, emotionally driven games -- let alone your bog standard shooters. That's not necessarily an indictment of games, any more than Sarkeesian's analysis is, but it does (at least to me) indicate that we may be dramatically over simplifying the complex issues around violence, gender, and storytelling in video games. I'm not sure if Sarkeesian can make that point without undermining her other observations, but it would be an interesting study.

In other words

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Mattjpwns posted:

did you mean to post this on your blog
You know, the more I watch of Sarkeesian's videos, the more vomitous they become. Watch her censorious instincts take over in this one, for example, in which she accuses GQ of "promoting pedophilia" for publishing sexy pictures of the twentysomething-year-old Glee cast, because they're known for playing high school aged characters. Clearly this is a person who believes fantasy = reality, which is why she hates men so much for all the fembots and liquor ads and who-knows-what-else we've perpetrated. Sarkeesian's worldview is every bit as twisted and entitled as Eliot Rodger's, a place where if you really examine the implications of what she says in her videos it's sexist and unacceptable to create pictures of consenting adult women that are vaguely sexy, for men to create images or sculptures that resemble the female form even though they aren't of women at all, to make a joke that implies tacitly disagreeing with a woman instead of having a deep conversation every time, or even to look at a woman. Yet there are no corresponding constraints at all on women and their relation to or representations of men...because...patriarchy? This is sexism, hypocrisy, a brazen double-standard.

This is an actively dangerous person disguised as a critic. The sad part is I actually love many of the same things she appreciates--Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Veronica Mars, media with strong and fully-developed independent women at their center. The difference is, I'm a post-Enlightenment humanist who believes everyone must be treated equally, and she's a sexist who demands that men be treated unequally and live in ideological chains for the "original sin" of patriarchy. She has valid criticisms to make when she stops foaming at the mouth about men long enough to be rational and unbiased, but those insights are few and far between. Maybe it's true that feminism poisons everything.

Spanish Manlove posted:

source your quotes
The author is distinctive enough to be googleable

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

Paladinus posted:

Only about dicks you never saw.

so no :smith:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Cardboard Box A posted:

You know, the more I watch of Sarkeesian's videos, the more vomitous they become. Watch her censorious instincts take over in this one, for example, in which she accuses GQ of "promoting pedophilia" for publishing sexy pictures of the twentysomething-year-old Glee cast, because they're known for playing high school aged characters. Clearly this is a person who believes fantasy = reality, which is why she hates men so much for all the fembots and liquor ads and who-knows-what-else we've perpetrated. Sarkeesian's worldview is every bit as twisted and entitled as Eliot Rodger's, a place where if you really examine the implications of what she says in her videos it's sexist and unacceptable to create pictures of consenting adult women that are vaguely sexy, for men to create images or sculptures that resemble the female form even though they aren't of women at all, to make a joke that implies tacitly disagreeing with a woman instead of having a deep conversation every time, or even to look at a woman. Yet there are no corresponding constraints at all on women and their relation to or representations of men...because...patriarchy? This is sexism, hypocrisy, a brazen double-standard.

This is an actively dangerous person disguised as a critic. The sad part is I actually love many of the same things she appreciates--Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Veronica Mars, media with strong and fully-developed independent women at their center. The difference is, I'm a post-Enlightenment humanist who believes everyone must be treated equally, and she's a sexist who demands that men be treated unequally and live in ideological chains for the "original sin" of patriarchy. She has valid criticisms to make when she stops foaming at the mouth about men long enough to be rational and unbiased, but those insights are few and far between. Maybe it's true that feminism poisons everything.

no seriously, source your quotes.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
My favourite moment with Patrick was when they had him on the Bombcast and he adamantly refused to belive that MS would ever in a million years cut the Kinect from the Bone. Then MS went and did exactly that on the same loving day. Instead of including his bit they made a soundboard out of it and shat all over him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgScLb6EAPs

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Spanish Manlove posted:

no seriously, source your quotes.
The best comments section that has not been moderated into oblivion (like the Vice disqus one) of course

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/08/the-death-of-the-gamers-and-the-women-who-killed-them/?comments=1&start=0

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Arse technica.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

DrPlump posted:

With their patron income as a fallback many SJW are standing up to the man and quitting their oppressive day jobs to fight for social justice full time. This plan will collapse when too many of them quit and there isn't enough actually working supporters to go around.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

Cardboard Box A posted:

The best comments section that has not been moderated into oblivion (like the Vice disqus one) of course

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/08/the-death-of-the-gamers-and-the-women-who-killed-them/?comments=1&start=0

welp, there goes my next half hour, holy poo poo

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

DrPlump posted:

With their patron income as a fallback many SJW are standing up to the man and quitting their oppressive day jobs to fight for social justice full time. This plan will collapse when too many of them quit and there isn't enough actually working supporters to go around.

Patreon:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

The perfect storm of weeaboo japan-worship and ignorance and :argh: feminism

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
Twitter Tactics Primer

1. Out of context and completely made up, don't forget to be smug

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I unironically call women vapid cunts

Tell me again how you think all women are vapid cunts :allears:

Success! Patreon score up! You get +100 dollars a month!

2.Get offended and snowball

Paladinus posted:

Forgot a comma there, mate.

I have received death threats in this thread because of my daring to post the truth, you are a horrible pig

Success! Patreon score up! You get +250 dollars a month!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

DrPlump posted:

The problem is that they all give money to each other so they're gonna have problems subsisting on a shared 2400$/month income.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
They do get a big chunk from people that actually work. If it becomes a liability for those in the industry/"journalism" to support them however it's gonna dry up.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
I'm gonna become a SJW so i get rich

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

serious norman posted:

me too! *hands you a dollar and defends you super hella hardcore on twitter*

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
When I have an issue with something someone said I find a well place death threat will really solve the problem.

But don't take my word for it.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I'm gonna start a blogger hostel.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Falsum posted:

The problem is that they all give money to each other so they're gonna have problems subsisting on a shared 2400$/month income.

Send the money one way and lose some on transaction fees, send the money back and lose some money on transaction fees; both parties end up poorer. Patreon is the only one making money out of the venture.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Tokamak posted:

Send the money one way and lose some on transaction fees, send the money back and lose some money on transaction fees; both parties end up poorer. Patreon is the only one making money out of the venture.

Does Patreon report to the IRS?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Germstore posted:

I'm gonna start a blogger hostel.

They already do these in San Fran, they're called hacker schools. They pack bunk beds into a house and charge slum lord rates for the privilege.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

quote:

Get resources to those who need them. Do you have disposable income? Donate it to people or groups you know over large organizations you don’t have connections to. If you don’t know how to, ask. Send them a message, ask them if they feel comfortable getting money from you and, if so, the best way to get it to them. Don’t have money? You might know people who do and should promote other’s stuff in their presence, or at least, be sharing stuff constantly so they have a good chance of becoming interested. Email publications and companies to tell them it’s important to you that they support certain people or groups. Sending heartfelt petitions to people and organizations who have money does work, especially en masse. Money also isn’t the only resource; do you have connections for affordable housing, food, social services? Or maybe you even have connections to people with luxury goods, anything. People who are fighting often don’t have basic needs, and if they do, don’t have a lot of things for relaxation or pleasure.
This is a really nice generalized statement about helping those less fortunate than us, I respect Mattie Brice for her effo-

quote:

Have a decent video card you won’t be using anymore, or a microphone you never got around to using?

:laffo: Of course, she was just talking about video games.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
"Man, I wonder what games are coming out, if only there was a site that kinda boiled all that down for me, oh well"
*googles "what games are coming out" 0 results*

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Does Patreon report to the IRS?

Oh poo poo that ties into the DARPA connections :tinfoil:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

serious norman posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Falsum posted:

Oh poo poo that ties into the DARPA connections :tinfoil:

I wonder if Obama is using HAARP to scramble the brains of weak minded people to turn them into SJWS like a milk chocolate progressive version of Giygas.... :tinfoil: There were a lot less of these people before he was elected.

• Locked thread