Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Munin
Nov 14, 2004

projecthalaxy posted:

I like that they are going to stay with sprites and (apparently) up the troop limit from 10. Hopefully this leads to a remake of something like that map in Disgaea 1's Chapter 5, except now you are fighting like 200 units instead of 35. Maybe that means they will make a strat other than having 1-5 overleveled units viable.

Also what is the deal with the giant fat gold prinny. That is the mystery.

Not too keen on the idea of adding more units. It can totally kill the pace of battles in turn based games. Well you can also majorly retool the systems (plenty of units in Advance Wars, still plays pretty sharply) but as stated that does involve a major system retool and those are always a gamble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Basically I want to cast a 5x5 Peta Star and murder 25 weak units all at once, multiple times in the same turn. I feel Disgaea 5 should extend this opportunity to me. Make it an optional map whatever. I just want to cut through hundreds of dudes effortlessly with my big numbers. I am a simple man.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
Does D4 vita implement being able to throw units freely like you could in D2?

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

Does D4 vita implement being able to throw units freely like you could in D2?

No, and it's probably the biggest thing I miss from D2.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

projecthalaxy posted:

Basically I want to cast a 5x5 Peta Star and murder 25 weak units all at once, multiple times in the same turn. I feel Disgaea 5 should extend this opportunity to me. Make it an optional map whatever. I just want to cut through hundreds of dudes effortlessly with my big numbers. I am a simple man.

I totally share that sentiment. Cool outrageous breakable poo poo is good.

I just don't want the standard map to become longer and grindier and turning the game overall into a slog.

Erg posted:

No, and it's probably the biggest thing I miss from D2.

Why did they remove that? Was it in the PS3 version?

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011
Another article that sheds some more light on Disgaea 5 has gone up.

Apparently Void Dark is a Demon Emperor who is devastating multiple netherworlds, and has an army known as "the lost" that has about one million members.
The overlords of those netherworlds are angry and planning on taking their revenge end up banding together. Disgaea 5 is stated to take place across multiple netherwords.

More details on the characters have also surfaced.

Kiria, the main character is a demon that has power rivaling a proper overlord in his body and is intent on taking revenge on Dark Void, leading him to set out to traveling the netherworlds.

Seraphine is a princess who ran away from a political marriage who has no fear of the lost.

Ursia is a girl who is cursed to go beserk if she doesn't eat curry and is the heir to the rabbit underworld where demons that don't like fighting go.

Some more details about the system have also come out. Apparently there is a new revenge system where when a unit falls the surviving characters become angry and a revenge text pops up. Also a new type of special attack has been revealed they are called maougis, I wonder if they will be anything similar to the mystic arts from the tales series.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

megamariox posted:

Ursia is a girl who is cursed to go beserk if she doesn't eat curry and is the heir to the rabbit underworld where demons that don't like fighting go.

*Disgaea writer opens Disgaea4Jokes.doc, sighs while punching 'sardines' into Find and Replace dialog*

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yeah I'm a bit dissapointed that Disgaea 4 uses the Sardine poo poo so much, especially when the rest of the game is a pretty harsh (by Japanese standards) political satire.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Yeah; the response to D4's writing seemed to be mostly positive but I got sick of it and started skipping the cutscenes halfway through. Well, I guess that makes it roughly twice as good as D3's writing.

DD2 was inoffensive but boring, and my hunch about D5 is that the curry joke will rot roughly ten minutes after it's introduced.

Oh well; pick it up for the game, skip the cutscenes. Usual Disgaea stuff.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
So far no news on the big question about D5: WIll they let me buy the item world theme from Disgaea 2 and use it for item world runs?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Brasseye posted:

So far no news on the big question about D5: WIll they let me buy the item world theme from Disgaea 2 and use it for item world runs?

Unless they go all-out I kind of doubt it. If we're lucky the ultra-sick Celestia music from Rasberyl's DLC will be in the game4 at least, or Brilliant Blue.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
D4 Vita is out on PSN now in Europe. Of course I went and ordered a physical copy when it didn't come out last week and am still waiting for it, but for anyone else who was waiting, it's up!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Curry girl rides a giant prinny so I don't care how obnoxious her joke is, she's gonna be great. :colbert:

Also, it's strange to see the main character of a Disgaea game be described as aloof and serious, seems kinda against the general demeanour of the series.

GoldenSeraph
Mar 8, 2006
reincarnation time!
I stopped playing Disgaea and stopped caring about the franchise in general when I saw a friend's save file.
The amount of time spent to grind all those classes and getting Majins and then doing stupid item dungeons.

what a loving waste of time

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GoldenSeraph posted:

Well, yeah. it's a video game. If he enjoyed doing it, then it's not really time wasted any more than playing any other video game.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
You're wasting your time if you arent building up an army of little sprites and sending them through dungeons imo.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

GoldenSeraph posted:

I stopped playing Disgaea and stopped caring about the franchise in general when I saw a friend's save file.
The amount of time spent to grind all those classes and getting Majins and then doing stupid item dungeons.

Hey man, anything to distract me from the looming specter of death and end of my consciousness.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
I have never used any of the unique characters other than the main character in disgaea games. Also I have never used monsters. Should I change my ways? I just grind until I get the best version of the humanoid classes I want. In DD2, I've got 56 hours and two lv 400 characters plus four lv 200-400 characters, also bunch of lv 100 dudes, I've almost exclusively done Item World stages, I think I'm in chapter 8. Am I being inefficient?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Can I even get Invincible Armor pre- Land of Carnage?

GoldenSeraph posted:

I dunno about other people but I would go crazy if I actually did stuff like grind levels by itself, it's very much a thing to play while watching TV in the background type of thing. That's why I've never actually done the postgame stuff on the console versions of the games.

The item dungeons I actually find fun because the randomness is very rare in this type of game, it's like a roguelike in that you can be completely outclassed and also run in somewhere you shouldn't be and leave with loads of cool stuff.

I dunno how people put thousands of hours in though because I beat Prinny Baal in D3 Vita in less than 100 hours. Once I reach the point where it turns into having to grind and go hunt pirates and stuff I always give up, but it's nice that the content is there for people that want it. Sort of like how FFX has a LOT of post-game stuff to do but 99% of it is just "grind this one fight a lot"

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

GoldenSeraph posted:

FYI this is coming from a league of legends player. Glass houses, etc

Content edit -

ManOfTheYear posted:

I have never used any of the unique characters other than the main character in disgaea games. Also I have never used monsters. Should I change my ways?

Yes. I don't know if you're playing D4V or just DD2, but in D4 Magichange can let you pretty much ignore equipment other than shoes well into the powerlevelling postgame. Just pick a monster weapon and stick with it as your humanoid's main weapon and it'll do wonders.

In DD2, I don't recall exactly how everything worked but I know monster riding provided some great benefits, not least being that you could build highly defensive monster characters to keep your glass cannon mages safe. I believe movement is dependent entirely on the monster mount including flying also isn't it? Which means you can make a flying mount with three shoes and the equipment slots would still be open on the humanoid for stuff that boosts their damage.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Sep 4, 2014

5er
Jun 1, 2000

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yeah I'm a bit dissapointed that Disgaea 4 uses the Sardine poo poo so much, especially when the rest of the game is a pretty harsh (by Japanese standards) political satire.

Disgaea's 'thing' has always been making a typecast for a character then running it the gently caress into the ground. Which kinda describes anime as a whole anyway.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Smello posted:

FYI this is coming from a league of legends player. Glass houses, etc

To be fair, LoL at least theoretically can earn you money. Theoretically.

5er posted:

Disgaea's 'thing' has always been making a typecast for a character then running it the gently caress into the ground. Which kinda describes anime as a whole anyway.

I think with NIS stuff it's extra-annoying because it's so loving wordy. It is at its worst when every character has to chime in with their Gimmick every cutscene. The gimmick'd be fun if they came up once in a while instead of Every Single Level.

Admittedly by far the worst game for this was Guided Fate Paradox. Jesus christ did that game have the worst cutscenes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

To be fair the sardines thing for Val wasn't that overplayed in my opinion. He overdid it a bit, but it wasn't every word out of his mouth.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Sardines was also (generally speaking) limited to the Next Episode dialogue. He mentions it a few times during the normal story stuff, but not overwhelmingly so.

Though, I totally get why people got sick of it.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

kirbysuperstar posted:

Sardines was also (generally speaking) limited to the Next Episode dialogue. He mentions it a few times during the normal story stuff, but not overwhelmingly so.

Though, I totally get why people got sick of it.

He literally yells "sardines" when he attacks in game. Though Fuka's dream poo poo was way more annoying.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Emron posted:

He literally yells "sardines" when he attacks in game. Though Fuka's dream poo poo was way more annoying.

Yeah the whole game is largely guiding a pack of anime schizophrenic narcissists to world salvation.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Endorph posted:

To be fair the sardines thing for Val wasn't that overplayed in my opinion. He overdid it a bit, but it wasn't every word out of his mouth.

It was a little too much near the start but as the game goes on he brings up sardines less and less, which was nice. I think it was fine for what it was.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Admittedly by far the worst game for this was Guided Fate Paradox. Jesus christ did that game have the worst cutscenes.

This is especially bizarre/painful given that they said ZHP wasn't enough like Disgaea, when that game had mostly great cutscenes that did the self-aware thing Disgaea's known for way better than most Disgaeas (even if you did kind of want to skip them anyway because of the cutscene/gameplay ratio).

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

This is especially bizarre/painful given that they said ZHP wasn't enough like Disgaea, when that game had mostly great cutscenes that did the self-aware thing Disgaea's known for way better than most Disgaeas (even if you did kind of want to skip them anyway because of the cutscene/gameplay ratio).

Z.H.P. had the best cutscenes out of the entire Disgaea expanded universe thing, and I really wish they made a more direct sequel to it.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
Seriously, how does Guided Fate immediately get a followup and ZHP gets nothing but D2 cameos?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Is there anything I can do to make getting the Puppy Paw Stick less random? I feel like I've been at this for an hour with no luck, and it's really tedious.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

King of Solomon posted:

Is there anything I can do to make getting the Puppy Paw Stick less random? I feel like I've been at this for an hour with no luck, and it's really tedious.

When you get ship parts instead, just keep them and capture another Neko rather than reloading to thin out their pool of potential rewards.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I heard there was a way to make the Item World stages smaller. Is that something that unlocks later?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm far into the game and that option hasn't been in any Disgaea game to date.

Best solution I have is to make a masked hero, use chara world to boost his movement by 2, then throw a bunch of shoes on him while he uses fist so he can run right to the goal and either move on or shove the person standing on it out of the way so you can just toss your way on over.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Smello posted:

When you get ship parts instead, just keep them and capture another Neko rather than reloading to thin out their pool of potential rewards.

Got my puppy paw stick, thanks. I'm pretty sure your advice helped a lot.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
Pretty sure item world size is in the Cheat Shop.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So, I got a statistician. It was from a Mr. Gency, though, so it's pretty low level (8). How do I level up an innocent?

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Pollyanna posted:

So, I got a statistician. It was from a Mr. Gency, though, so it's pretty low level (8). How do I level up an innocent?

Dupe it by recreating the item it's on with a Puppy Paw Stick, then pile all of the duped Statisticans together and eventually make a max level one (300 I think?). Then dupe that.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Yup, just dupe it a few times till it's 300, then you kinda have to start juggling them as it'll fuse 2 lvl 300 staticians effectively erasing one. When you have 8 in the bank put them all on a piece of equipment (not a weapon) and dupe it twice, now you're set for the post game entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Can the stick be gotten off of any Nekomata or does the level/tier matter?

• Locked thread