Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
"More like Anita man, lol"

*dick gets bigger*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Germstore posted:

I'm gonna start a blogger hostel.

Tokamak posted:

They already do these in San Fran, they're called hacker schools. They pack bunk beds into a house and charge slum lord rates for the privilege.
Yep

http://valleywag.gawker.com/the-worst-airbnb-in-the-universe-22-beds-in-one-apartm-1630029953

coleman francis posted:

"Man, I wonder what games are coming out, if only there was a site that kinda boiled all that down for me, oh well"
*googles "what games are coming out" 0 results*
http://www.listwar.com/upcoming-retail-games/

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
What radio show is Adam Baldwin and the Internet Aristocrat going to be on again?

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

What radio show is Adam Baldwin and the Internet Aristocrat going to be on again?

You have over 9 pages worth of posts in this topic

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf

Pretty sure that counts as gaming journalism

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
7 pages

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Meg From Family Guy posted:

Shut up, Meg.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

you came here to post about that.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

serious norman posted:

I'm gonna become a SJW so i get rich

I'm gonna get on patreon and make money out of drawing stick figures that say "poop" alot.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I put very little effort into my posting thank you very much. :colbert:

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
"Congratulations on doing nothing to help fix a problem and then bragging about not making it worse. Sincerely. But now do something useful."

*tries to help and offer advice and opinion on a problem*
*gets swarmwed, yelled at and blacklisted on social media*

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012

AkumaHokoru posted:

you came here to post about that.

Holy fuckk.. The Ownage...

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
Would an sjw hostel be like a blogger hostel but on fire all the time?

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che
so let me get this straight:

the story now is that "gamers got jenn frank fired because corruption and by corruption i really mean misogyny also it is totally legit that a newspaper that is seen as the epitome of politically correct middle class values fired a writer that wrote an article about politically correct middle class values because that rankled reactionaries"

and not "the guardian commissioned her to write a one-off article, which she then did"

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

the post with the most boast

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012

jpmeyer posted:

the story now is that "gamers got jenn frank fired because corruption and by corruption i really mean misogyny also it is totally legit that a newspaper that is seen as the epitome of politically correct middle class values fired a writer that wrote an article about politically correct middle class values because that rankled reactionaries"

and not "the guardian commissioned her to write a one-off article, which she then did"

Hot posting tip: If the thing you're trying to make fun of by using quotation marks can't be summed up in like one line of text, then no one is going to read it because its loving dumb stupid and bad.

blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

I have a fever and the only prescription is more Phil Fish tweets.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

jpmeyer posted:

yes, and people were counting it as a victory against the SJWs lol

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

jpmeyer posted:

It's a victory for gaming that's what it is

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012
If you seriously care about any of this especially to the point of having multiple pages of posts about it (Spanish Manlove) you should probably blow your brains out

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
kill your mysel

Zak2k12
Dec 23, 2008

"I looked back once to the empty place where my dream had come true. Such is the stuff."

Germstore posted:

I'm gonna start a blogger hostel.

The House of the Rising Cuck

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

jpmeyer posted:

she got fired from kotaku and she had a twitter meltdown relating to the guardian for some odd reason

Slanderer posted:

yes, and people were counting it as a victory against the SJWs lol

i wonder why people considered it a victory when a woman and the rest of the games journalists had a collective meltdown, she lost one of her jobs, and people where acting like she lost all of them

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

If you seriously care about any of this especially to the point of having multiple pages of posts about it (Spanish Manlove) you should probably blow your brains out

Don't have a cow, man.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I care dearly about video games.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

coleman francis posted:

Would an sjw hostel be like a blogger hostel but on fire all the time?

it would quickly balkanize into various mutually exclusive safe spaces for each gender/identity/sexuality/race/etc

imagine prison, only with fewer men, more passive aggressiveness and instead of shanks you have tweets

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The only really good thing about this whole ordeal is that the word 'vitriol' comes back in fashion. I absolutely love that word.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

NutritiousSnack posted:

she got fired from kotaku and she had a twitter meltdown relating to the guardian for some odd reason

i wonder why people considered it a victory when a woman and the rest of the games journalists had a collective meltdown, she lost one of her jobs, and people where acting like she lost all of them

she didn't work for kotaku you dummy.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf

Slanderer posted:

No one "works" at kotaku
haahhahahahah

ugh

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hitler420 posted:

After watching Sarkeesian's latest video, I was struck that no one had done the same thing with respect to tropes about men in video games.

I started thinking about it just a little -- men are generally strong, silent, mass murdering psychopaths in games. Or they're strong, glib, mass murdering psychopaths in games. Or they're criminals. Or they're terrorists. Or they're Nazis. Or they're mobsters. Or they're evil pirates. Or they're racists. Or they're genetically modified psychopaths. Or they're evil brown people. Or they're corrupt cops. Or they're soldiers engaged in a campaign of aggression/other evildoing. Or they're cops (and you're an anti-hero). Or they're just cannon fodder.

Thinking more specifically about the depictions of women in Red Dead Redemption, for example, I agree with Sarkeesian's observation that the murdered prostitutes in the street are essentially robbed of all agency and rendered powerless, dependent upon the player. What does that say about the depiction of men, then -- as a player, either I need to murder the pimp guy, or I need to stand by and watch the pimp guy murder the prostitute. Either way, men are depicted as horrific, brutal, murderous creatures, incapable of resolving problems through anything other than excessive violence. I'm not willing to go this far, but you could take this one small step further and argue the pimp guy was a victim of the society in which he is depicted, where a failure to enforce brutal rules leads to anarchy and chaos, so, even if he doesn't want to, he's forced into this role for the greater good. Hell, you could say the same of the player -- in fact, Red Dead pretty clearly does say that about the player. Marsden is , for the most part, a flawed man, trying to be good(ish), in a whole series of bad situations.

What it did make me think of is how limited games are at this point as a storytelling medium. There are relatively few shades of grey even in complex, emotionally driven games -- let alone your bog standard shooters. That's not necessarily an indictment of games, any more than Sarkeesian's analysis is, but it does (at least to me) indicate that we may be dramatically over simplifying the complex issues around violence, gender, and storytelling in video games. I'm not sure if Sarkeesian can make that point without undermining her other observations, but it would be an interesting study.

In other words

Or how about "games put male protagonists into exciting situations because otherwise no one would buy the game".

I know the optimal Sarkeesian-approved game would be "LGBT Meeting Simulator", but who really gives a gently caress about that?

blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

Slanderer posted:

She should.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Slanderer posted:

I still don't get why she's upset. Who fired her or whatever? I know Guardian had probably nothing to do with this, so what the hell is happening?

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

EugeneJ posted:

Or how about "games put male protagonists into exciting situations because otherwise no one would buy the game".

I know the optimal Sarkeesian-approved game would be "LGBT Meeting Simulator", but who really gives a gently caress about that?

This is my kinda game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Fi2bUkzgZ8

Completely free of any objectionable content.

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
I just ate half a cheesecake by myself. What would mario and link THINK of me if they were alive today!?!?

blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

Paladinus posted:

I still don't get why she's upset. Who fired her or whatever? I know Guardian had probably nothing to do with this, so what the hell is happening?

I think it was a random meltdown because she cares so deeply about her friend being literally raped.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

EugeneJ posted:

Anita actually cited some games she liked. To the Moon, Dear Esther, Gone Home, Papo & Yo... Oh, and Mirror's Edge,

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Sep 4, 2014

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Mattjpwns posted:

welp, there goes my next half hour, holy poo poo

The Sergei dude is the best because he flat-out says rape and death threats are justified.

Full Disclosure: i posted in there because I have to look like I'm actually working sometimes instead of using the Awful App on my phone all day. Also I enjoyed seeing how far down the rabbit hole they would go. I hope there is no conflict of posting interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Paladinus posted:

that's what makes this hilarious. she's a freelance journalist, and no one fired her. p. sure that some gamer theorycrafter assumed she was TOTALLY FIRED FROM THE GUARDIAN!!! (lol) and so spergs starting up a gamer victory celebration on twitter.

so it's kinda funny.

• Locked thread