Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chroisman
Mar 27, 2010
The Kickstarter was a while ago, but I backed this on Kickstarter:

(Click picture for link to product page)

It is a fast adjusting hand strap that is compatible with with the Peak Design Capture camera clip system, which is what I primarily carry my DSLR on. It's so nice not having to haul the camera around on a strap where it swings around wildly, but sometimes I still need a bit of extra security to make sure I don't drop my camera, so this hand strap looks like it will come in handy.

I did consider the Black Rapid one, but I hate their stupid connector thing that screws into the tripod thread, because then you can't use a tripod. As far as I am concerned the Clutch hand strap and camera clip combo solve that problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

SpartanIV posted:

murder toy gun related:

Hooray for 922(r)!

Building a FAL?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Yup. I got the parts kit a few months ago, but I'm just now getting around to ordering the rest of what I need. All that's left is a Coonan receiver and hopefully finding someone I can borrower a FAL receiver wrench from so that I don't have to drop $200 on one that I'll only use one time.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

SpartanIV posted:

Yup. I got the parts kit a few months ago, but I'm just now getting around to ordering the rest of what I need. All that's left is a Coonan receiver and hopefully finding someone I can borrower a FAL receiver wrench from so that I don't have to drop $200 on one that I'll only use one time.

Mind if I ask what the total cost will be once you've got it all together? I've always loved the FAL but have never even thought about trying to piece one together like an AR...

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
These prices are all approximate and the parts kit varies wildly depending on what kind of deal you can find.

$350 for the parts kit
$150 for 922(r) parts
$300 for the receiver

In addition you need some specialized tools to put it together which can cost hundreds depending on what you have already. Things like a receiver wrench ($200 by itself) and various gauges.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Chroisman posted:

I did consider the Black Rapid one, but I hate their stupid connector thing that screws into the tripod thread, because then you can't use a tripod. As far as I am concerned the Clutch hand strap and camera clip combo solve that problem.

http://www.blackrapid.com/products/fastenr-t1

It's a hinged fastener you can fit into your standard tripod plate.

I just bought this guy on Tuesday. Feels good, man.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

SpartanIV posted:

These prices are all approximate and the parts kit varies wildly depending on what kind of deal you can find.

$350 for the parts kit
$150 for 922(r) parts
$300 for the receiver

In addition you need some specialized tools to put it together which can cost hundreds depending on what you have already. Things like a receiver wrench ($200 by itself) and various gauges.

That's really not that bad... Thanks! I'll add it to the wish-list.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Casu Marzu posted:

http://www.blackrapid.com/products/fastenr-t1

It's a hinged fastener you can fit into your standard tripod plate.

I just bought this guy on Tuesday. Feels good, man.
i've driven a lot of cars, and my outback is my fave after about four months of ownership. so sweet.

Scarf posted:

That's really not that bad... Thanks! I'll add it to the wish-list.
do yourself a favor and look up what 308 costs first. i built an absolutely sweet FAL from one of those cherry STG-58 kits that were available uh.... poo poo, 7 years ago? and I haven't shot it in 4 years or better because 308 surplus dried up about a year after I got the thing, meaning ammo prices went up 500%. ammo is a loving fortune since Bubba went crazy over black president.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Yeah, they're from his website shop.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

TenementFunster posted:

do yourself a favor and look up what 308 costs first. i built an absolutely sweet FAL from one of those cherry STG-58 kits that were available uh.... poo poo, 7 years ago? and I haven't shot it in 4 years or better because 308 surplus dried up about a year after I got the thing, meaning ammo prices went up 500%. ammo is a loving fortune since Bubba went crazy over black president.

It's starting to come back down a bit, isn't it? albeit slowly? I have a pretty reliable source for 5.56 at about $0.31/rd. It sure as hell wouldn't be my primary shooter... but just something fun to break out every now and then.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
steelcase FMJ is around $0.50 a round right now. Unfortunately the only ranges around me only allow SP or HP, so I'll be spending more like $0.70 to $0.90 a round. :smith: Definitely not an every-trip gun, but it will still be a lot of fun and cool!

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
I made a magnetic wooden knife block, technically bought the bits required.

Need to oil it yet and sand down the back properly.

Raikiri has a new favorite as of 22:36 on Sep 4, 2014

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

That's really cool, what kind of magnets did you use?

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
Thanks, I used two 12x3mm neodymium magnets in each hole (4x4 grid). So 32 in total.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
Another question for you; what is that knife on the left end of the block? It appeals to me in ways I cannot fully parse and I might like to do violence to foods with it

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The type of knife is called santoku

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
It is. Specifically it's a Kanetsune 7" VG10 17 layer damascus santoku. They're all sold out but there's many more much nicer here: http://japan-blades.com/

Edit: I want this so bad: http://japan-blades.com/recommend/4235.html

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
I bought a box.

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

widefault posted:

I bought a box.

I hope you enjoy your curse.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

widefault posted:

I bought a box.

For what purpose does one get such a box?

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

CaseFace McGee posted:

For what purpose does one get such a box?

Halloween decoration, or for the aforementioned possibility of a curse.

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009

G502 Proteus Core
My G9 is finally starting to die and now that The G9x is no longer in production, had to find something similar.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.

Raikiri posted:

It is. Specifically it's a Kanetsune 7" VG10 17 layer damascus santoku. They're all sold out but there's many more much nicer here: http://japan-blades.com/

Edit: I want this so bad: http://japan-blades.com/recommend/4235.html

I appreciate it. I have a couple santoku in my block but they're honestly cheap as hell, so I've been looking for a decent one. If it's sexy on top of doing its job well, all the better!

Still have yet to get a knife that matches the cutting power of this gnarly hammer-forged carbon steel job from 1912. It is the angry old man of my knife collection and it does not give a good god drat what's underneath it while I'm cutting.

gypsycabdriver
Apr 19, 2007

SpartanIV posted:

murder toy gun related:

Hooray for 922(r)!

Rad. Building a FAL up from a receiver? Edit:Nevermind answered above.

To contribute. Just built up a new AR pistol upper.

-Daniel Defense 12.5" midlength LW barrel with FSB
-Daniel Defense BCG
-Daniel Defense Flash Hider
-BCM Charging Handle
-LMT carry handle
-Anderson stripped upper
-Magpul MOE handguard

gypsycabdriver has a new favorite as of 08:10 on Sep 5, 2014

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
I bought this for whittlin' (Rough Rider Knives #1074) $10.

It seems really well made for a bargain Chinese knife, and I've broken enough knives to know. There's websites comparing this newish company's poo poo to $60 Case pocket knives. What a deal.

I also got this Mora Craftline based on the PYF recommendation thread ($9 or so). Seems to be built like a tank.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
So why do AR pistols exist? Is it solely to not be a SBR? It just seems like you basically make a rifle a dumb gimmick gun when you remove the butt stock even though it's still really awkwardly shaped.

gypsycabdriver
Apr 19, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

So why do AR pistols exist? Is it solely to not be a SBR? It just seems like you basically make a rifle a dumb gimmick gun when you remove the butt stock even though it's still really awkwardly shaped.

Yes,they can eventually become SBR's once a tax stamp is obtained. Most people keep it in pistol config during their wait for a tax stamp, which can be as long as 6+ months. But in California we cannot have SBR's at all so this is the next best option.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

gypsycabdriver posted:

Yes,they can eventually become SBR's once a tax stamp is obtained. Most people keep it in pistol config during their wait for a tax stamp, which can be as long as 6+ months. But in California we cannot have SBR's at all so this is the next best option.

Isn't there also that arm brace/buttstock item that you can use?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

gypsycabdriver posted:

You can't have a pistol with a detachable magazine outside the grip. I have yet to see anyone with a bulletbutton version of an AR pistol but I'm sure some dork has.

We also have some dumb rule about maximum pistol weights that may come up.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

BONES L/S

Earpeace earplugs. My ears are getting hosed up by djing and all the hanging around clubs that goes with it. I haven't been out since I've got these but they've sounded good on my system. The case is great, it has a top screw off section for the 2 ear plugs and a bottom ssection for the spare ear plug (or other things) with a different compartment.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
That's really cheap to put only one spare and not two. Ear plugs are super cheap in the first place.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
In my sleep-deprived state, I stared at that this thinking, "Is the 3rd plug for his 3rd ear? Is that something like your 3rd eye? Nah, people only have 2 ears... Maybe it's for... the urethra?" :catdrugs:

Content:

+

=

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I have that E1L-A Outdoorsman. It went through the washer and it still works fine.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Android Bicyclist posted:

In my sleep-deprived state, I stared at that this thinking, "Is the 3rd plug for his 3rd ear? Is that something like your 3rd eye? Nah, people only have 2 ears... Maybe it's for... the urethra?" :catdrugs:

Content:

+

=

Are you in the military or is this for playing dress-up?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Are you in the military or is this for playing dress-up?

Not sure the miltary are so generous towards their enemies that they give 'aim here' lights to the troops.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

No Egrets
May 30, 2013

That's right, and it's an Armani.

Suprisingly awesome :woop:

colas
Feb 14, 2007

No Egrets posted:

Suprisingly awesome :woop:

I kinda want one. What have you been playing? Are there any good more "serious" games?

No Egrets
May 30, 2013

That's right, and it's an Armani.

colas posted:

I kinda want one. What have you been playing? Are there any good more "serious" games?
I haven't played any "serious" games, mainly just what nintendo is known for (Mario Kart, Mario World, etc). I've read that there are some more serious games coming out soonish though. One recommendation, if you at all like games like team fortress 2 you should check out splatoon. It's not out yet, but really looks amazing. One thing I am very, very pleasantly surprised at how much I like the gamepad tablet and how well it works, before I actually used it I thought it was gimmicky as all hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

colas posted:

Nintendo is selling refurbs which are pretty much brand new units for $200. thread