Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
her twitter meltdown is funny because we only have her insanity to go on

someone screaming about how their life has been hosed by an article they wrote doesn't come across as the entire story very well tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Slanderer posted:

she didn't work for kotaku you dummy.

i'm not going back into her minefield of a wikipedia or whatever at this point, but she lost one of her writing gigs, had a meltdown, and it was impilied by ben and other friends she was asked quietly to come back. do you understand at all how the real world works man.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

EugeneJ posted:

I know the optimal Sarkeesian-approved game would be "LGBT Meeting Simulator",

if it was a GTA mod and i got points for killing cishet white males in outlandish ways you bet i'd play it idgaf

Zak2k12
Dec 23, 2008

"I looked back once to the empty place where my dream had come true. Such is the stuff."

NutritiousSnack posted:

do you understand at all how the real world works man.

I think this thread made it clear that you have to cuck your way to the top.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

NutritiousSnack posted:

i'm not going back into her minefield of a wikipedia or whatever at this point, but she lost one of her writing gigs, had a meltdown, and it was impilied by ben and other friends she was asked quietly to come back. do you understand at all how the real world works man.

4chan's evidence she was totally fired

https://twitter.com/jennatar/status/507411245717135360

lol

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

Paladinus posted:

Anita actually cited some games she liked. To the Moon, Dear Esther, Gone Home, Papo & Yo... Oh, and Mirror's Edge,

To the Moon and Mirror's Edge are loving legit 9999/10

But you can fall off buildings in ME and break your legs/die horribly and that fetishizes defenestration of women and clearly this is someone's kink

To the Moon just fetishizes Animorphs

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

albany academy posted:

if it was a GTA mod and i got points for killing cishet white males in outlandish ways you bet i'd play it idgaf

Isn't it the latest Saints Row 4 DLC?

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

your loving becoming unhinged. their evidence was all her friends reponses, that dude from gearbox's meltdown and admission they won, and other poo poo.

what the gently caress is wrong with you man?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
My impression is that people take social media way too seriously.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I hope video game journalism returns to the same form as it was in early 90's Poland :poland:. Where every review is a walkthrough and we get to read a dude's military career because gamers like shooting things.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Lol, indeed.

Justin Leeper ‏@StillManFights posted:

@jennatar I worked in game journalism 8 yrs, dev 3.
Poison winds blow over. Slowly but they do.
Do not inhale. Do not engage. It's poison.

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

mario is probably p ashamed of me

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

NutritiousSnack posted:

your loving becoming unhinged. their evidence was all her friends reponses, that dude from gearbox's meltdown and admission they won, and other poo poo.

what the gently caress is wrong with you man?

To me it looks like she's got fed up with mean tweets and decided to never write about video games again. Don't know how one can read her being fired into this.

blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

Rad Tad posted:

Who cares about Mario.

I wonder what M. Bison would think of me though.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Paladinus posted:

To me it looks like she's got fed up with mean tweets and decided to never write about video games again. Don't know how one can read her being fired into this.

Paladinus posted:

Paladinus posted:

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

albany academy posted:

Entire game is your character sitting in the corner of the LGBT meeting with a gun pointed to your head, and you get a higher score the longer you listen to the meeting and don't off yourself.

Think of it as the new Desert Bus.

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012

Cthulu Carl posted:

The Sergei dude is the best because he flat-out says rape and death threats are justified.

Full Disclosure: i posted in there because I have to look like I'm actually working sometimes instead of using the Awful App on my phone all day. Also I enjoyed seeing how far down the rabbit hole they would go. I hope there is no conflict of posting interest.

lmfao you are a gigantic loving insane loser

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Rad Tad posted:

Yeah but Bubsy still loves and accepts you. Bubsy understands.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Rad Tad posted:

If only you listened...

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

Paladinus posted:

Lol, indeed.

What's her dev credits? Is saying 10 words into a microphone the mark of a progressive indie dev?

SUPER

HEXAGON :woot:

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

pretty lovely at living up to your username

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

Rad Tad posted:

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Video games? I don't have time for video games. I'm too busy on the internet, posting and screaming about video games.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
ban video games

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Rad Tad posted:

pretty lovely at living up to your username

no dude it isn't funny she had a total meltdown and flipped out when called on her poo poo, it's funny because someone is maybe wrong about her being fired lol

please sleep with me now jenna

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Maybe I'm just getting too old for this poo poo or whatever but I just don't get the lulz any more from seeing people get harrassed to the point of snapping online.

Particularly when their crime being judged by the Internet Investigative Super Squad is writing about gender issues in video games.

What I think is so funny about this whole mess is that it seems to presume that people who write about games leave these fabulous lifestyles getting free poo poo from publishers, getting flown around to conventions, living the life. When truth is the vast majority of them make poo poo pay for poo poo hours, and it's generally a thankless job because the bad feedback always outweighs the good 10-to-1.

I really enjoyed video games a lot more when it was about playing them and not about figuring out who to hate on the internet.

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

macnbc posted:

Internet Investigative Super Squad

Make it happen

Zak2k12
Dec 23, 2008

"I looked back once to the empty place where my dream had come true. Such is the stuff."

macnbc posted:

Internet Investigative Super Squad

Internet Super Investigative Squad

Fixed that for you.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Play Halo? No one plays Halo anymore. We mostly troll around message boards and look for people who are talking poo poo about Cortana's breast size

Julien Sorel
Jan 27, 2006

Voted Worst Marksman of 1830
i hope kotaku hires quinn to be their senior feminine relations correspondent just so i can see the backlash

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

macnbc posted:

Maybe I'm just getting too old for this poo poo or whatever but I just don't get the lulz any more from seeing people get harrassed to the point of snapping online.

Particularly when their crime being judged by the Internet Investigative Super Squad is writing about gender issues in video games.

What I think is so funny about this whole mess is that it seems to presume that people who write about games leave these fabulous lifestyles getting free poo poo from publishers, getting flown around to conventions, living the life. When truth is the vast majority of them make poo poo pay for poo poo hours, and it's generally a thankless job because the bad feedback always outweighs the good 10-to-1.

I really enjoyed video games a lot more when it was about playing them and not about figuring out who to hate on the internet.

This hasn't really ever been about games. It's about people being sick of being attacked for what they enjoy, and people getting sick of feeling marginalized when they attack people for what they enjoy. It's two sides playing victim and painting the other side as bullies and oppressors. This is the spark that's ignited all the resentment from both sides, the social justice warriors versus the people who don't give a poo poo about social justice, it seems--which is Everybody Else. That's where #notyourshield came from, that's the crux of all of this. People are sick of being attacked, and people who are attacking them are sick of feeling marginalized or downtrodden. Until a meaningful--I stress meaningful--dialog is brokered, this bickering will never end. Neither side can win.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Oncogene posted:

i hope kotaku hires quinn to be their senior feminine relations correspondent just so i can see the backlash

i hope they do this and post photos of her new office, where all the furniture would be made from enslaved men on their hands and knees

also she would be wearing the Doritos Crown

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

macnbc posted:

I'd agree if they didn't all stick their hands into a pandora's box of yellow journalism but they totally did, and don't ever deserve to be taken as reliable in that field

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

BottledBodhisvata posted:

This hasn't really ever been about games. It's about people being sick of being attacked for what they enjoy, and people getting sick of feeling marginalized when they attack people for what they enjoy. It's two sides playing victim and painting the other side as bullies and oppressors. This is the spark that's ignited all the resentment from both sides, the social justice warriors versus the people who don't give a poo poo about social justice, it seems--which is Everybody Else. That's where #notyourshield came from, that's the crux of all of this. People are sick of being attacked, and people who are attacking them are sick of feeling marginalized or downtrodden. Until a meaningful--I stress meaningful--dialog is brokered, this bickering will never end. Neither side can win.

I came out to play video games and I'm honestly feeling so attacked right now.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

BottledBodhisvata posted:

idk seems hard to have a meaningful dialog with someone who feels attacked by the mildest of feminist critiques you big baby

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Meg From Family Guy posted:

lmfao you are a gigantic loving insane loser

Well I do post on the Something Awful Forums, so it's not like that's an eye opening revelation.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

macnbc posted:

they should quit then.

Zak2k12
Dec 23, 2008

Yeah, good luck having a meaningful dialog about video games with radical feminists.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Slanderer posted:

idk seems hard to have a meaningful dialog with someone who feels attacked by the mildest of feminist critiques you big baby

you seem p defensive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Paladinus posted:

Anita actually cited some games she liked. To the Moon, Dear Esther, Gone Home, Papo & Yo... Oh, and Mirror's Edge,

Four walking simulators, and a running simulator.

Zak2k12 posted:

Yeah, good luck having a meaningful dialog about video games with radical feminists.

Radical Feminists = TVTropes youtubes

• Locked thread