Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Leperflesh posted:

If it was built in 1980 there's very little chance it has asbestos. It was banned for use in building materials in the late 70s so it would have been an illegal use.

e. I'm reading that it was banned for use in acoustic ceilings in 1979, but that some homebuilders might have still been using old stock in 1980. Since testing is cheap, it can't hurt to get it tested.

They were allowed to continue to use existing stock until it ran out, so the early 80s is definitely in the window.

Popcorn is so gross we had all of ours scraped (except closets, kind of regretting that now, and it looks soooooo much better, especially with vaulted ceilings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

PuTTY riot posted:

Popcorn is so gross we had all of ours scraped (except closets, kind of regretting that now, and it looks soooooo much better, especially with vaulted ceilings.

I really need to do mine before I get furniture in the rooms that have it. I need to get it tested first since I have no idea when it would have been installed and my house is getting close to 80 years old.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
Yeah. if you don't do it first thing you never will. it's an incredibly messy process too.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Requesting change to House Buying Megathread, Asbestos only kills you if you breath a lot of it in over a long period of time.

So if the popcorn comes back asbestos can you back out of the purchase cause that is going to cost a butt load to get remediated.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

PuTTY riot posted:

Yeah. if you don't do it first thing you never will.

That's not true. I effectively removed that sort of ceiling in my parents' house when I painted my room as a teenager. Use a thick enough coat of latex and that stuff takes itself right off.

PuTTY riot posted:

it's an incredibly messy process too.

This part, though, is VERY true.

Antifreeze Head fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Sep 4, 2014

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004
It's great being left handed..you can jerk off and still keep the mouse on the right side of the keyboard
I've never been so frustrated and this post title matches exactly what we're experiencing.

- the only thing we're waiting for is the mortgage offer to be sent to our solicitors.
- we received our copy and then found out that the bank sent a copy to our old solicitors. We asked them to send a copy to the correct solicitors.
-7 business days went by and nothing. Supposedly they forgot to send a copy out
-3 business days go by and we get an email from our solicitors stating they received a mortgage offer but on the wrong property.

We originally had 3 weeks to close, now have 1. We have to move out of our rental property on the 15th. The bank has royally hosed us over due to their incompetence

As a note, they sent the right mortgage in principle on the right property to the right solicitors so there's no excuse for the gently caress up. The worst is the bank is impossible to call (was on the line for over an hour and screwed us over). Our only link is our mortgage broker.

Not sure what more to do but wait and see what happens. If we don't close by 15th and forced to find short term stay, I guess I can say gently caress you and go to another bank.

Anyone ever move into a property before the mortgage has kicked in? The property is vacant and isn't in a chain so I guess I can beg and plea if we can at least move our stuff in to avoid storage costs.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
To add to the frustration train, I'm STILL waiting to hear back from the VA on our loan. We're in limbo here on what we're going to do at the end of the month too.

VA Loan? Great, we move at the end of September (if the sellers agree to a paltry $500 for a loving fridge, COME ON PEOPLE).

If not, then we can get a standard loan for 2 months, then refi to a VA in January. Not something I want to do.

Or we will have to walk away after sinking a lot of time, energy, and money into this house :(

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Filthee Fingas posted:

Anyone ever move into a property before the mortgage has kicked in? The property is vacant and isn't in a chain so I guess I can beg and plea if we can at least move our stuff in to avoid storage costs.

You're in the UK, that's worth mentioning. I think most of us are in the US.

In the US the only way you'd be able to move into a property that you hadn't paid for yet would be if the current owners allow you to rent it from them, which is unlikely since it's a big warning sign the loan may fall through.

I don't know much about UK real estate but if you were in the US and facing this kind of issue I'd say it's time to contact a real estate lawyer. But you said you already have a soliciter so maybe call them up and ask what your options are if this bank fucks you over on your closing date.

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004
It's great being left handed..you can jerk off and still keep the mouse on the right side of the keyboard

Leperflesh posted:

You're in the UK, that's worth mentioning. I think most of us are in the US

I don't know much about UK real estate but if you were in the US and facing this kind of issue I'd say it's time to contact a real estate lawyer. But you said you already have a soliciter so maybe call them up and ask what your options are if this bank fucks you over on your closing date.

Sorry I forgot to mention I was in the UK.

Yeah I'll speak to our solicitor tomorrow and see what they say.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Jastiger posted:

To add to the frustration train, I'm STILL waiting to hear back from the VA on our loan. We're in limbo here on what we're going to do at the end of the month too.

VA Loan? Great, we move at the end of September (if the sellers agree to a paltry $500 for a loving fridge, COME ON PEOPLE).

If not, then we can get a standard loan for 2 months, then refi to a VA in January. Not something I want to do.

Or we will have to walk away after sinking a lot of time, energy, and money into this house :(

You're gonna spend thousands of dollars on a refi because the seller won't give you $500 for a fridge? lol.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

PuTTY riot posted:

You're gonna spend thousands of dollars on a refi because the seller won't give you $500 for a fridge? lol.

I'm going to spend thousands on refi because the VA is possibly stopping our financing due to a lapse in employment. The fridge is secondary to getting the house.

They are willing to give us $400. Bah. We'll have to take it. Its frustrating because we need a fridge NOW, not paid off over time. You literally need a fridge to live in the house, plus, it was on the purchase agreement. When is it ever OK to agree to sell a working thing and then it isn't working when the ownership changes hands?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

You're in the UK, that's worth mentioning. I think most of us are in the US.

In the US the only way you'd be able to move into a property that you hadn't paid for yet would be if the current owners allow you to rent it from them, which is unlikely since it's a big warning sign the loan may fall through.

This is not unusual in New Zealand. All the legal documents include provisions for this. Often people will need to move out of their current house or rental and most sellers don't mind collecting a couple of weeks rent prior to the sale going through.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

You're seriously bitching about 100 dollars. You're buying a house for 146,500 dollars. You're seriously focusing on 0.0007% (rounded) of the amount of money you're about to spend.

You need a perspective check. 100 dollars isn't poo poo when it comes to owning a home.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Jastiger posted:

You literally need a fridge to live in the house

No, you don't need a fridge to live in a house. If you really do need a fridge so badly, go get a little one off Craigslist for $25 while you save for a good, proper fridge. If you can't afford buy new appliances when you move in the house, you can't afford the house.

Don't buy a house contingent on the sellers including things that don't even matter.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Jastiger posted:

I'm going to spend thousands on refi because the VA is possibly stopping our financing due to a lapse in employment. The fridge is secondary to getting the house.

They are willing to give us $400. Bah. We'll have to take it. Its frustrating because we need a fridge NOW, not paid off over time. You literally need a fridge to live in the house, plus, it was on the purchase agreement. When is it ever OK to agree to sell a working thing and then it isn't working when the ownership changes hands?

At closing, make a big fuss about this. If the seller won't kick in the extra hundo, make the RE agents split it. Remember, you're buying this house, not every goon in here. $100 is $100

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
You could forego the house to buy a seriously fancy-rear end fridge and live in the box.

Best of both worlds.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm really confused by some of the responses. If someone agrees to sell something and then it's time to close, and something isn't there...it's ok to blow it off? I mean what if the ac wasn't working? Yoi can't afford a new ac, you can't afford a house? A roof? Exactly how much cash are we talking here...because we're talking cash here, not credit.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jastiger posted:

I'm really confused by some of the responses. If someone agrees to sell something and then it's time to close, and something isn't there...it's ok to blow it off? I mean what if the ac wasn't working? Yoi can't afford a new ac, you can't afford a house? A roof? Exactly how much cash are we talking here...because we're talking cash here, not credit.

Yeah, if I didn't have at least $20k in cash (after down payment and closing costs) on hand, I wouldn't think about buying a house.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Jastiger posted:

Air conditioning units can cost 5 to 10 thousand dollars. A new roof can cost 8 to 15 thousand dollars. You are talking about (once again for perspective 0.0007% of the purchase price) 100 bucks. 100 dollars is a trivial amount. I spent twice that this year for fertilizer for my yard.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

skipdogg posted:

100 dollars is a trivial amount. I spent twice that this year for fertilizer for my yard.
It may be a trivial amount, but it is still an amount that affects the legitimacy of the purchase agreement. You guys can focus on the .0007 % or whatever of the purchase price, and say if he doesn't have $x on hand at closing he shouldn't be buying a house, and all of that, but I would be similarly unhappy if something that was IN THE PURCHASE AGREEMENT was then not in the goods rendered at time of purchase. Would I stop the purchase over a $100 squabble? No I would not, but I would still bitch about it.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
While I agree with the generally prevailing attitude that balking over the cost of a $500 fridge likely indicates that you're not ready for the financial burden of home ownership, I'll suggest this:

If you really want to see how it works, tell your agent that if the fridge isn't there, you're out.

There is no way the buyers agent, sellers agent, sellers, and lender are going to see this transaction go south over $500.

And if they're somehow dicking around ("Oh it will be there!"), refuse to communicate until the issue is resolved.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

adorai posted:

It may be a trivial amount, but it is still an amount that affects the legitimacy of the purchase agreement. You guys can focus on the .0007 % or whatever of the purchase price, and say if he doesn't have $x on hand at closing he shouldn't be buying a house, and all of that, but I would be similarly unhappy if something that was IN THE PURCHASE AGREEMENT was then not in the goods rendered at time of purchase. Would I stop the purchase over a $100 squabble? No I would not, but I would still bitch about it.

adorai posted:

This is what I mean.

Also, a fridge now is worth more than a few hundred later.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Leperflesh posted:

If it was built in 1980 there's very little chance it has asbestos. It was banned for use in building materials in the late 70s so it would have been an illegal use.

e. I'm reading that it was banned for use in acoustic ceilings in 1979, but that some homebuilders might have still been using old stock in 1980. Since testing is cheap, it can't hurt to get it tested.

Had the inspections today and met them at the property, the inspector (who was a builder in the area until retiring a few years ago) suggested there is basically a 0% chance that this 1980 built tract in Roseville, CA had asbestos in the popcorn.

There were definitely some venting/ducting/insulation issues in the attic to take care of, some wonky poo poo going on in the garage, and the water pressure meter in the front needs to be reworked (sprinklers in the rear have way too much pressure) but mostly just minor items. I will probably ask the seller to address the one code violation which was a re-using an old lovely gas line on the brand new water heater as well as the lack of a drip line for it.

The place seems pretty solid core-wise and even stuff like the cabinets and pocket doors still work.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

baquerd posted:

Yeah, if I didn't have at least $20k in cash (after down payment and closing costs) on hand, I wouldn't think about buying a house.

That's irrelevant in my mind. Just cause I have the money doesn't mean I want to spend it. Nor is it trivial for me to spend it.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
You can get a decent top freezer GE fridge with an ice maker for $500. Just put in $100 more and get a new fridge. You don't need a french door or bottom freezer $2k whatever the hell reason people buy them things.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

For everyone saying $100 is a trivial amount, please send me $100 since it's just a fraction of your costs to you.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

shortspecialbus posted:

For everyone saying $100 is a trivial amount, please send me $100 since it's just a fraction of your costs to you.

No poo poo nits only .0006% of your income. Let's crowdsource Jastiger fridge.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Jastiger posted:

No poo poo nits only .0006% of your income. Let's crowdsource Jastiger fridge.

Snap, El Jebus needs a new chest freezer for his homebrewing. Only $300!

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

shortspecialbus posted:

Please send me $5 instead, much cheaper

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

shortspecialbus posted:

Just make a compelling Go Fund Me, I am a sucker for those. Make a thread for it and I will sticky it in the forum.

(DONT DO THIS)

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Filthee Fingas posted:

My parents bought a place recently and before they closed they were able to store their stuff in the garage after they signed a document that made them responsible if the stuff got stolen. You might be able to get something like that if you're just looking for storage.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
Is this the place to talk about silly listings?
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Oakland/624-Hillsborough-St-94606/home/1117479

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

They testin' missiles here or what?

uwaeve fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 7, 2014

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
That house owns so hard I don't even care if I have to share it with the Addams family.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

What is going on with the pool :barf:

rekamso
Jan 22, 2008
So the water line between my house (purchased last year) and the meter broke under the driveway.

$12,000 to cut open the driveway (it's an easement and quite long), lay new pipe, and patch the driveway back up.

Do never buy?

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

I very much doubt that house was built in 1918. I hate fake patina.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Bloody Queef posted:

I very much doubt that house was built in 1918. I hate fake patina.

I actually don't doubt it at all. Many of the houses in this area (I live a few miles away from that house) were built in the early 1900s, especially after the 1906 quake in San Francisco.

Doesn't mean it wasn't expanded or renovated later.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
I closed on Friday the 29th, I am now a homeowner :aaa:

Didn't even see the sellers once in the process, they had a closing agent at the closing that just signed everything and left. Kinda disappointed how bad of a cleaning job they did. The 1/2 bathroom didn't seem to be cleaned at all (there was pee on the toilet), and I just got all the carpet in the place cleaned - apparently the stains were dog pee :gonk:. Also pulled off some floor vents and found they are filled with debris and pretty gross. Cleaned out what I could though.

I wanted to run network jacks to all the rooms/areas but it looks like there isn't a corridor in the wall that goes from the main level to the upper level so I would have to knock some wall out and drill out something :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
We just did a walk through with a contractor. The seller had just finished smoking a cigarette IN THE APARTMENT. gently caress me. We'll be spending some money on professional cleaners.