Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

coyo7e posted:

If you've not seen it, Best Worst Movie is still up on streaming and it's a really amazing roller coaster of a ride, focused on the cast and crew and directors of Troll 2. It runs the gamut of happy to funny to sad and kind of horrible.

I kind of got a crush on the dentist guy because holy poo poo how can someone be such an amazing person!? until ego runs away with him during the cross-country tour of Troll 2, then you realize he's fallible like everyone else.

It's extremely well-paced and edited.

I like that it turns out that at least two of the actors on Troll 2 were legitimately mentally ill. One of them was literally getting day passes to leave the mental institution where he was living so he could film his part in Troll loving 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Bojack Horseman is actually very funny

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Deadite posted:

Yes, the biggest problem with BoJack is that the first four episodes aren't exactly great. I'm not saying they're bad, but the series is kinda like an avalanche, it starts off small and seemingly formulaic, but once you hit episode 7 it's amazing. The thing is you can't really skip any episodes either, they're all required for the whole of it.

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it.

Doctor Rope

Deadite posted:

Very funny might be pushing it...but I did think it was definitely worth watching. I found it pretty smart with an engaging story...and I also got a few laughs. The hardest I laughed were the momentary 'animal' jokes you'd sometimes catch in the background.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
I'm only through episode 3, but I love the writing and Will Arnett's voice acting. I think it's (clearly) in the same vein as Duckman, which I loved as a kid. The line about his dad tearing down his treehouse was great: "Instead of hardy Christian nails, i used screws. Which he called fancy jew nails."

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Deadite posted:

I'm only through episode 3, but I love the writing and Will Arnett's voice acting. I think it's (clearly) in the same vein as Duckman, which I loved as a kid. The line about his dad tearing down his treehouse was great: "Instead of hardy Christian nails, i used screws. Which he called fancy jew nails."

You're in for a treat :allears:

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

TracerBullet posted:

The hardest I laughed were the momentary 'animal' jokes you'd sometimes catch in the background.

That, and the show running with it when introducing 'Vanessa Gekko'.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

TracerBullet posted:

Very funny might be pushing it...but I did think it was definitely worth watching. I found it pretty smart with an engaging story...and I also got a few laughs. The hardest I laughed were the momentary 'animal' jokes you'd sometimes catch in the background.

I don't know why but I found the goat mowing the lawn with the grass flying directly into his mouth stupidly funny...I laughed so hard at such a dumb joke.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I'm 14 years late to the party, but The West Wing is just the best show.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Oldstench posted:

I'm 14 years late to the party, but The West Wing is just the best show.

Yep. I'm only partway through Season 2 myself but I have to say that every single episode (so far) is some of the best television I've ever seen. Doesn't help that I'm a hardcore bleeding heart liberal who has worked in the public sector.

I was like about to cry when Josh got shot and seemed to be about to die. And then the fact that they don't just have him forget about it, but constantly call back to it as a source of ptsd... it's just such a well crafted character show. Also the women characters are all fantastic.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yeah we ran through it a fe weeks ago and it really is fantastic. It kind of slumps in the middle but then the last season or 2 pick right back up.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Brooklyn Nine-Nine is on canadian Netflix, and it's surprisingly good. I'm not exactly a fan of Andy Samberg, but it works really well with Braugher's deadpan.

Fishstick has a new favorite as of 15:40 on Sep 4, 2014

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I tried really hard to get into Brooklyn Nine Nine and just don't find it funny at all. Painfully unfunny even.

Are 4 episodes not enough to judge it fairly?

vvvv Too bad. I was hoping it picked up. I need a new show now that 30 Rock and Community are gone.

Raskolnikov2089 has a new favorite as of 17:16 on Sep 4, 2014

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I tried really hard to get into Brooklyn Nine Nine and just don't find it funny at all. Painfully unfunny even.

To each their own, four episodes should be plenty to see if you like it.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Baron von Eevl posted:

I like that it turns out that at least two of the actors on Troll 2 were legitimately mentally ill. One of them was literally getting day passes to leave the mental institution where he was living so he could film his part in Troll loving 2.
You should spoiler that, it was definitely one of the best parts.

The director and his wife were the other.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

vvvv Too bad. I was hoping it picked up. I need a new show now that 30 Rock and Community are gone.

I love it but it's very Samberg. It's lower key than Hot Rod or the Lonely Island stuff but if you're not into it yet you're probably not going to be

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

If you haven't yet - tho its not netflix - check out Rick & Morty. All the episodes are free to view on adultswim, and it's made by Dan Harmon (Community) and Justin Roiland (VA for Adventure time and Gravity Falls). One or two episodes should be enough to know if you're into it, though it should be said that a lot of people get turned off by the amount of belching in the first - which is toned down in later episodes. Personally I think it's one of the best stuff AdultSwim has put out lately.

If you dont like animation, there's Parks & Recreation or Arrested Development. Personally, I loved 30 rock and Community and couldn't get into P&R, but ymmv. There's also IT crowd, which is also on Netflix and is a quality British sitcom.

Fishstick has a new favorite as of 18:53 on Sep 4, 2014

GodofGravity
Jun 20, 2005
Fun Shoe

Fishstick posted:

...couldn't get into P&R, but ymmv.

The key to getting into P&R is to skip the entire first season. You can slog through it if you want, but it doesn't add a whole lot to the story and the series improves 10-fold starting with season 2.

Seconding IT Crowd, pretty drat funny, especially if you've worked IT/Tech support and have had to deal with a manager who didn't know jack poo poo about IT.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
In P&R do they ever solve the mystery of why they talk directly to the cameras?

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Deadite posted:

It's their chosen format. How is that a mystery?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Deadite posted:

No, and they never find the missing tripods, either.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Deadite posted:

It's a documentary being made in the world of the show, like the Office or Modern Family.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

coyo7e posted:

You should spoiler that, it was definitely one of the best parts.

The director and his wife were the other.

I was thinking the mom. The director and his wife were disillusioned and eccentric but man the mom was out of it when they went and visited her.

And I left out the best part of crazy general store man:

When he tells the documentary maker that the actor playing the kid was awful and that he genuinely wanted to murder him, not knowing that he is being interviewed by the guy who played the kid.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Deadite posted:

The mystery is that it's a successful, actually funny network sitcom in the 2010s.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

The new Trailer Park Boys season is surprisingly not bad. Corey (and possibly Trevor) are back.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Deadite posted:

People talk into the camera all the time in Shakespeare plays. In the 21st century, the art of the soliloquy has been truly rediscovered at long last.

MacGowans Teeth
Aug 13, 2003

Deadite posted:

This is much better than I thought it would be (made it to episode 5). It's funny and surprisingly non-terrible.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Spoils of Babylon is a pretty drat good show. It's a "spoof" on old epic tales of the developers of huge enterprises (I don't know the genre, but I do know it's a genre). It was originally a show on IFC that Funny or Die helped produce (apparently Will Ferrel helped produce it also). It makes fun of 70's mini-dramas and is all sorts of awkward humor that I love. It was reccomended to me because I liked Comedy Bang Bang and is highly worth checking out. One of the funniest things I've watched this year.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

The Arrested Development 4th season hit me kind of luke warm; but I always defended it because I figured that if they had changed nothing, it couldn't live up to the nostalgia and hype. So, thinking about it that way, I was pleased with the chances they took and changes they made.

But then here comes Trailer Park Boys where they changed nothing, and it's hilarious as ever. So now I don't know what to think.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Captain Lavender posted:

The Arrested Development 4th season hit me kind of luke warm; but I always defended it because I figured that if they had changed nothing, it couldn't live up to the nostalgia and hype. So, thinking about it that way, I was pleased with the chances they took and changes they made.

But then here comes Trailer Park Boys where they changed nothing, and it's hilarious as ever. So now I don't know what to think.

Arrested Development S4 will be much better for people who are watching the whole series for the first time.

MacGowans Teeth
Aug 13, 2003

Bloodsport is streaming on Netflix USA now. Finally. Watch it for Jean-Claude Van Damme and Bolo Yeung's hilarious facial expressions, if nothing else.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

MacGowans Teeth posted:

Bloodsport is streaming on Netflix USA now. Finally. Watch it for Jean-Claude Van Damme and Bolo Yeung's hilarious facial expressions, if nothing else.

This is the best news.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
You! Are Nex!

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
Digging Rectify. It's kind of like someone made a William Faulkner novel into a TV series.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

MacGowans Teeth posted:

Thank you! It's gonna be a screamin' kinda night!

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
the other netflix thread spent the last couple pages raving about Detention and holy hell it's really something :stare:

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

beanieson posted:

the other netflix thread spent the last couple pages raving about Detention and holy hell it's really something :stare:

... I can't tell if you're endorsing it or warning us off.

e: It was a warning. loving Christ, what was that poo poo?

Cornuto has a new favorite as of 13:33 on Sep 9, 2014

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Baron von Eevl posted:

I was thinking the mom. The director and his wife were disillusioned and eccentric but man the mom was out of it when they went and visited her.

And I left out the best part of crazy general store man:

When he tells the documentary maker that the actor playing the kid was awful and that he genuinely wanted to murder him, not knowing that he is being interviewed by the guy who played the kid.
What an amazing documentary, I mean really. It starts out feel-good and light-hearted, goes deep into the ego-seeking stuff and then the dark/crazy/humiliating/sick side of the entire thing up to and including the fans, and then comes out the other side with a fresh outlook on life and reality as a whole.

Best Worst Movie really was an emotional roller coaster in all the best ways, I am not sure someone could have made up all of those people and how they interacted then and how they interact now, if they tried.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

beanieson posted:

Detentiowns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Detention is fun as heck. Don't read about it in advance, just watch it.

• Locked thread